Seton Hall Game

• 155 replies
Re: Seton Hall Game
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2016, 10:02:28 PM »
I feel like I shouldn't have been on as edge as I was during that game but God damn I love the Johnnies.

While the last minute of the game was a total RefShow, let the kids play (on both sides) jeeze, if we would have made our free throws we would have won the game with no real problem. Malik "one of two" Ellison and Durand need to be making these free throws.

The free throw shooting is pathetic. Box score says they missed 14 free throws. Refs, as always are the true inspiration for the challenge flag, but the players, despite the comeback earned this loss by not taking their free throw shooting seriously. That was the game.

Durand 1-3
Malik 2-5
Felix 3-6

All unacceptable for being guards on this team. need to hit these. Especially Durand and Malik.

Kass 2-4
Jones 2-2 (!)
Sima 0-4

Sima I feel like is still shooting FTs poorly bc of his hand but he was shooting FTs poorly before his injury. Kass is getting better during the season so hopefully over the summer he will get even better.

« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2016, 10:09:43 AM »
Air Balamou!!

A healthy Felix during the 4 years and if we did not have alot of depth at his positions, we would have seen more of this. Felix has always been very talented-bad luck with injuries. Ill never forget the Louisville game a few years back before he got hurt at MSG. He was flying all over the place that game they had no answer for him. But Felix has always been a hard worker and at least he got some sort of an opportunity this season even if it was lost season. Maybe he will get solid overseas gig.

« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2016, 10:35:25 AM »
Yea, it is unfortunate we won't have him back for another year because his redshirt got blown for no reason

« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2016, 10:47:47 AM »
No disrespect to Felix who always plays hard, but his skills are very limited.  If the guys we're bringing in next year aren't far better than we're in big trouble.

« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2016, 10:53:45 AM »
No disrespect to Felix who always plays hard, but his skills are very limited.  If the guys we're bringing in next year aren't far better than we're in big trouble.

Shooting skills yes but 2nd best athlete on team

« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2016, 11:06:10 AM »
Felix is a great jumper.  He has almost no other basketball skills. He sat on the bench his entire career because he wasn't good enough to play. He is clearly not a guard, and teams don't win in the Big East with 6'4 power forwards.

« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2016, 11:13:20 AM »
Felix is a great jumper.  He has almost no other basketball skills. He sat on the bench his entire career because he wasn't good enough to play. He is clearly not a guard, and teams don't win in the Big East with 6'4 power forwards.
He also plays solid perimeter defense and has demonstrated an ability to get to the rack.  Would be a great 7th or 8th man on a more dynamic team.

« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2016, 11:23:47 AM »
I'll give you that point: Felix has had occasional games where he's been able to get to the rack.  I like his spirit and how hard he plays. I'm not ripping him;  my main  point was that if we miss a Felix Balamou on next year's team then we really haven't gotten a whole lot better. I'm hoping that across the board the guys who are coming in are way better than the guys who are leaving.

« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2016, 12:36:46 PM »
The thing I dislike most about Felix is the same I thing I dislike most about Ron; they complain on every call! I can't stand to watch it.

However I could never accuse Felix of giving less then 100% and it was really nice to see him throw one down like that again before his career was up. I just wish it could have came with a W.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:38:29 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2016, 01:09:48 PM »
Yea, it is unfortunate we won't have him back for another year because his redshirt got blown for no reason
You want Felix back for a fifth year or a shot at better player?

« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2016, 02:10:25 PM »
I was pointing out the irony of our favorite new poster's prior post on Felix.

« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2016, 02:23:47 PM »
Sorry, I missed your irony.

(Lately on this board it's been a little hard distinguishing between irony and insanity.)

« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2016, 11:04:53 PM »
I remember the first game I ever saw Felix play in.  I think it was against Baylor in some pre season tournament.  He came in and hit his first jumpshot.  A nice looking shot too.  Lavin took him right out.  Later he claimed he "did not see it' and "that if he did see it" he "would not have taken him out."  The previous staff was incredibly poor at player development.  In many cases the players actually got worse.  Like Gift.  And Pointer Junior year.  Branch did not improve and on and on.

Mullin ironically is great at both development and conditioning.  Even Amar and CJ looked very different in October then they had ever looked.  You could just see it.  Felix's shot disappeared under Lavin.  He really screwed players up.  I think Rico was in charge of player development.  Starting to get some insight, only now, as to why he may have been so ineffective.

« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2016, 11:57:57 PM »

That is a fair point and to this day I am still confused as to Lav's decision there. No doubt about Felix energy and defensive presence especially. Also very athletic. I still believe if it was not for injuries and depth he would have developed very well. I disagree with some of you on this issue though, I think it would be better to have him around for an extra year rather than wasting a scholarship if we manage to only fill the last spots with 2/3 stars if we whiff on Alkins and Thon. He would have gotten a full season under his belt with the most playing time he ever had. I think next year you would have seen a very decent season from him.

Poison

« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2016, 12:18:06 AM »
I remember the first game I ever saw Felix play in.  I think it was against Baylor in some pre season tournament.  He came in and hit his first jumpshot.  A nice looking shot too.  Lavin took him right out.  Later he claimed he "did not see it' and "that if he did see it" he "would not have taken him out."  The previous staff was incredibly poor at player development.  In many cases the players actually got worse.  Like Gift.  And Pointer Junior year.  Branch did not improve and on and on.

Mullin ironically is great at both development and conditioning.  Even Amar and CJ looked very different in October then they had ever looked.  You could just see it.  Felix's shot disappeared under Lavin.  He really screwed players up.  I think Rico was in charge of player development.  Starting to get some insight, only now, as to why he may have been so ineffective.

They weren't incredibly poor at player development. They were just average. We know what incredibly poor player development looks like. We suffered through 6 years of it. Ignoring Justin Brownlee, Dwight Hardy, Sean Evans, Malik Boothe, Paris Horne, Justin Burrell, D'Angelo Harrison, Phil Greene and NBA draft pick Dom Pointer simply isn't fair.

Sometimes players don't develop and the player is the reason why. People talk about how wronged Balamou was by Lavin, and that season Lavin played him for 5 minutes was senseless, but Balamou was in the rotation last year, and he stunk. Just like he stinks this year.

He's a poor man's Rowan Barrett, and Rowan Barrett was a poor man's Willie Glass.

Poison

« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2016, 12:22:25 AM »
The thing I dislike most about Felix is the same I thing I dislike most about Ron; they complain on every call! I can't stand to watch it.

However I could never accuse Felix of giving less then 100% and it was really nice to see him throw one down like that again before his career was up. I just wish it could have came with a W.

M'vouika is the laziest player I've ever seen in a St.John's uniform. Balamou works much harder in the paint than he does elsewhere. It's odd to see a player of size want to mix it up inside as much as he does, but he's just better there.

TONYD3

« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2016, 06:22:04 AM »

Great post. But I think you said that 354 times already.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:37:09 AM by TONYD3 »

Foad

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2016, 08:32:27 AM »
They weren't incredibly poor at player development. They were just average. We know what incredibly poor player development looks like. We suffered through 6 years of it. Ignoring Justin Brownlee, Dwight Hardy, Sean Evans, Malik Boothe, Paris Horne, Justin Burrell, D'Angelo Harrison, Phil Greene and NBA draft pick Dom Pointer simply isn't fair.

Could you explain how Lavin developed Dwight Hardy? That is, could you name the skills he showed deficiency in as a junior and how they improved between March of his junior year and November of his senior year and what you think Steve Lavin did in those seven months to accomplish that improvement and could you be as specific as possible? Thanks.

When you're done with that could you do the same thing for Horne, Evans, Brownlee Boothe and Burrell? Thanks.

(If the answer is he used them differently than Norm, don't bother, because that's not the same thing.)

Could you explain why Steve Lavin suggested red shirting Dom Pointer before his senior year if he had already helped him develop as player. (When mid year Lavin took credit for Pointer's improved play that was the sole thing he mentioned as causing it: his mastery of childish psychological head games was all he could come up with.) If he had not helped him develop by the end of his junior year, can you say what Lavin did between November and December - Pointer was his usual moribund self until New Year's Eve - to improve Pointer's play and can you explain why he didn't sooner.

Other than three point shooting can you name the ways in which Phil Greene improved as a player and what Steve Lavin did to effect that?

Do you think it is a coincidence that the only players who showed marked improvement under Lavin showed it in their senior year? If it is not a coincidence, why does Lavin deserve credit for it. Thanks.

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2016, 02:41:03 PM »
So this kind of brings in to question the significance of coaching. Obviously there are coaches like K that have significant impact on their players, mostly in offensive/defensive scheme. But how much credit does Mullin deserve for the improvements of Ellison, Yakwe and Ali (the three that have shown the most improvement, IMO)?

I will say that yakwe and jones' shot has looked better as the season has gone on, and I like to credit Mullin with that and other improvements, but from an outsiders perspective it is pretty hard to have an accurate understanding of impact.

« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2016, 02:41:47 PM »
Also, does anyone know where I can see a video of the end of the game, especially that scuffle?