Seton Hall Game

• 155 replies
Re: Seton Hall Game
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2016, 03:27:37 PM »
Hope the ncaa isnt as good a lip reader as Mr Baldi. Otherwise there may be a problem
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 03:28:33 PM by Marco Baldi »

ras

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2016, 03:30:52 PM »
Let the kids decide the game man
+1. Too many fouls called at the end of a tight game, let them play. Ellison should have known to call a to when trapped, not rocket science. Yakwe looked great. Other than the missed fts and tos thought we looked like we turned a corner.

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2016, 03:31:50 PM »
Was listening in the car.  Mitch, on the post game radio interview, a bit unhappy with foul call on Yakwe. Said it was an anticipation call by the ref.  I, myself, was a bit puzzled with a reach in call on Ron, in a scrum no less, with five seconds to go.  Never heard of that before. Since I didn't see it, maybe someone could elaborate on the calls.  Also, why would Ellison foul IW 35 ft from the hoop in that situation.

I'm a pretty good write, I'll try. Imagine being bent over for a prostate exam. Now, imagine that instead of his finger the doctor uses his fist. It was like that, except in a prostate exam the doctor greases his finger first.
Issues?

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2016, 03:33:55 PM »
Was also a great crowd at the game. Most crowded I've seen it all year, excluding the Syracuse game

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2016, 03:36:12 PM »
Not discounting Malik or Mussini, who I think will be better in different roles and develop into nice 4 year players, but when we surround Yawke and Sima with three or more play-makers/scorers next year, good things are going to fall in place.

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2016, 03:37:31 PM »
Let the kids decide the game man
+1. Too many fouls called at the end of a tight game, let them play. Ellison should have known to call a to when trapped, not rocket science. Yakwe looked great. Other than the missed fts and tos thought we looked like we turned a corner.

Refs were way to involved in this game , was sad to see them decide the game after a great come back. Yawke showed me something against Delgado today , Yawke dominated that match up against that beast
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 03:38:42 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

desco80

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2016, 03:51:17 PM »
Sima needs to develop a post move though in the worst way.
We fed him the ball down low a few times after Delgado fouled out and he did nothing with a good 4 inch hight advantage.

Personally I would've liked to see him turn over his left shouldER to the baseline.  But he kept spinning toward the middle of the lane where there was help. 

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2016, 05:15:23 PM »
This one ref for the second time I saw him a ref ST Johns game goes out of his way to cost them games.

How many times is the lane violation every called  this same ref call it in two games in a row.

Every time SJU is on run he decides to go to the monitor to help stop the run and he is always talking to Willard on the timeouts

The only reason they call a foul on Durand Johnson was they had to make Seton Hall got the ball back before the end of the game

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2016, 05:26:49 PM »
Was listening in the car.  Mitch, on the post game radio interview, a bit unhappy with foul call on Yakwe. Said it was an anticipation call by the ref.  I, myself, was a bit puzzled with a reach in call on Ron, in a scrum no less, with five seconds to go.  Never heard of that before. Since I didn't see it, maybe someone could elaborate on the calls.  Also, why would Ellison foul IW 35 ft from the hoop in that situation.
There was a play were Sima and Yakwe went for a block, Sima got the shooter with the body a little but Yakwe basically took the ball out of the hall guys hand he was up so high.  The ref called the foul on Yakwe and he clearly didnt do anything.  Sima could have been called but the ref didnt call that. 

We were making Whitehead go left all game.  Ellison was trying to force left and got called for a stupid foul.  Last year thats a play on.

That was a BS call...didn't impede is progress...barely breathed on him

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 06:15:48 PM by section3 »

Poison

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2016, 05:29:33 PM »
If only everyone played with Yakwe's motor

The ones who don't want to, can leave. At least 3 of them definitely will be leaving.

« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2016, 06:07:06 PM »

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2016, 06:12:14 PM »
Sima needs to develop a post move though in the worst way.
We fed him the ball down low a few times after Delgado fouled out and he did nothing with a good 4 inch hight advantage.

Personally I would've liked to see him turn over his left shouldER to the baseline.  But he kept spinning toward the middle of the lane where there was help. 

I think he has one that he simply needs to refine...back down from left side of key...bump...off-glass...has difficult time with move from other side...

he will improve as decisiveness improves...holds ball too long...defense collapses...puts ball on floor and trouble ensues..

For a freshman, I like him

Marillac

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2016, 06:24:16 PM »
Yakwe just ate Delgado alive and Delgado is a stud.  Holy sh*t.  The strength of this team will at the guards positions, so Yakwe playing like that would just be insane.  We can talk about rankings all day, but give me a guy like Yakwe over Sampson and even Harkless all day if there are some able scorers in the back court -- undersized or not.  If Ahmed can come in and  be the bouncy glass cleaning wing we've lacked since Postell, that combo will create a lot of looks on offense. 

Sima didn't come back the same player, but he's a freshman big and they are almost always terrible....so he's already ahead of most. 

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2016, 06:33:21 PM »
I feel like I shouldn't have been on as edge as I was during that game but God damn I love the Johnnies.

While the last minute of the game was a total RefShow, let the kids play (on both sides) jeeze, if we would have made our free throws we would have won the game with no real problem. Malik "one of two" Ellison and Durand need to be making these free throws.

Foad

« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2016, 06:38:22 PM »
Various thoughts, including some about Seton Hall: http://www.bigeastboards.com/

« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2016, 06:48:02 PM »
Sima's broken hand is clearly still inhibiting his offense. It's affecting his rebounding and making him a one handed player.

This game hurts, because we could have won it, if either of about 10 plays goes differently.  Clearly, the lane violation hurt, as did Ellison's dribbling the ball off his own knee when the bench was calling for him to take a timeout. One more rebound of a Seton Hall miss, one more made free throw by any of our guys, one fewer turnover: any one of those and we walk out with a win.

In the end, this team just hasn't been in enough close games to be able to know how to close one out, even though Seton Hall played badly enough in the 2nd half to hand us this one.  (Very strange use of subs by Willard, losing both his big men to fouls with a long way to go.)

This one still hurts, but Yakwe's continued emergence gives a glimmer of hope for the rest of this year and highlights the possibility that he may blossom into a very special player by next season.

Poison

« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2016, 07:18:22 PM »
I feel like I shouldn't have been on as edge as I was during that game but God damn I love the Johnnies.

While the last minute of the game was a total RefShow, let the kids play (on both sides) jeeze, if we would have made our free throws we would have won the game with no real problem. Malik "one of two" Ellison and Durand need to be making these free throws.

The free throw shooting is pathetic. Box score says they missed 14 free throws. Refs, as always are the true inspiration for the challenge flag, but the players, despite the comeback earned this loss by not taking their free throw shooting seriously. That was the game.

paultzman

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2016, 07:24:28 PM »

The free throw shooting is pathetic. Box score says they missed 14 free throws. Refs, as always are the true inspiration for the challenge flag, but the players, despite the comeback earned this loss by not taking their free throw shooting seriously. That was the game.

And 20 turnovers

Poison

« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2016, 07:29:08 PM »

And 20 turnovers

The turnovers are frustrating, but without a point guard they make sense. Guys who have several years of practice and game experience should be more careful with the ball, but as we've said time and again, they are who they are. From my vantage point, we've got two points in Mussini and Ellison that make me long for the days of Eugene Lawrence.

redslope

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2016, 08:28:15 PM »
Various thoughts, including some about Seton Hall: http://www.bigeastboards.com/
Thanks for sharing--your thoughts have been missed after some tough losses.