DePaul game thread

• 49 replies
Re: DePaul game thread
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 01:56:34 PM »
You guys forgot our technical foul. Jones misses dunk, the 2 free throws, and then turns the ball over.

Jones misses dunk?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 02:17:45 PM »
I've decided that even with the rim protection thing - we're not a good defensive team.

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2016, 03:32:38 PM »
Mussini should play more because why not? More reps for the dude could only benefit him unless the fatigue is forreal.

TONYD3

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2016, 05:16:07 PM »
You guys forgot our technical foul. Jones misses dunk, the 2 free throws, and then turns the ball over.
He had a breakaway dunk. He was fouled. Just kind of annoyed with 0 points .
Jones misses dunk?

Foad

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2016, 05:38:17 PM »
Jones misses dunk?

Most players miss when they are flagrantly fouled. Missing the free throw and immediately turning the ball over is another story. 10 points and 4 rebounds though is nothing to sneer at. Personally I hope he comes back and fills a Ron Stewart kind of role.

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2016, 06:04:35 PM »
It was more an intentional foul than flagrant but that is the label college ball gives it (unnecessary contact). Don't think big strong CJ was too beaten up to shoot the 2 foul shots.
Jones misses dunk?

Most players miss when they are flagrantly fouled. Missing the free throw and immediately turning the ball over is another story. 10 points and 4 rebounds though is nothing to sneer at. Personally I hope he comes back and fills a Ron Stewart kind of role.
More of an intentional than flagrant foul but that is what college ball labels it (unnesessary contact). Don't think big strong CJ was too beat up to take the 2 foul shots.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 06:06:59 PM by Celtics11 »

Foad

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2016, 06:12:20 PM »
It was more an intentional foul than flagrant but that is the label college ball gives it (unnecessary contact). Don't think big strong CJ was too beaten up to shoot the 2 foul shots.
Jones misses dunk?

More of an intentional than flagrant foul but that is what college ball labels it (unnesessary contact). Don't think big strong CJ was too beat up to take the 2 foul shots.

It was a flagrant one I think. In any event you cannot blame him for missing that one. The following two FTs though and the TO were atrocious.

There is something in their heads FT shooting wise. I'm a 65 percent FT shooter and I'm faced most all of the time. All right, all off the time.

TONYD3

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2016, 06:33:30 PM »
Their is something about jones that I want no part of. He had a decent season. Can't see him helping us beat big east teams. I know I said it but I don't blame him for missing the breakaway. Maybe he can play at incarnate word?

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 09:01:42 PM »
I've decided that even with the rim protection thing - we're not a good defensive team.
Habitual lack of defensive intensity ...we play very passive form of defense...no effort to alter the offense

TONYD3

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2016, 09:24:42 PM »
Habitual lack of defensive intensity ...we play very passive form of defense...no effort to alter the offense
This is the worst defensive team that we have ever had. Yakwe is the only plus defender. Sima blocks shots, but he is our center and he can't guard the better centers in the league . He is only a freshman and will be better. But that creighton kid killed him. He wasn't great va Georgetown either.
Our towards will be fine. Our current guards are not good .

Poison

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2016, 10:58:20 PM »
Their is something about jones that I want no part of. He had a decent season. Can't see him helping us beat big east teams. I know I said it but I don't blame him for missing the breakaway. Maybe he can play at incarnate word?

Jones, overall has had a rough go in his first season of actually playing. Part of me would be fine if he left for North Texas, but let's remember that he would be the only senior on next year's team. I look at this like his freshman year. He has a summer to work on his game, make adjustments, improvements, get into even better shape, and I wouldn't be shocked if he had a solid, not amazing, but solid senior season.

At times this year, he would dribble into traffic and force up bad shots, but then there were other times, where he rebounded well and he was aggressive on offense. I'm not so sure we're better off taking a flier on some injury prone guy that's only going to stunt everyone else's development. Depends on what's out there.

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2016, 12:10:19 AM »
Jones is a strong body and gets some decent rebounds but on offense it just seems that the ball in his hands is like kryptonite...he misses what should be the easiest of shots...and his shooting is more like throwing darts.  Seems like the potential should be there to be a star

His does put some pop on his passes so that's another plus that few others on the roster are capable of.

Being the only 4 yr SJ player will be important even if playing time is limited (I think he'll get ~20 min per game) if he has any desire to be a vet leader in locker room and road..seems like the quiet type though on the floor.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 12:46:05 AM by RedStormNC »

Wods317

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2016, 08:36:57 AM »
Jones is a strong body and gets some decent rebounds but on offense it just seems that the ball in his hands is like kryptonite...he misses what should be the easiest of shots...and his shooting is more like throwing darts.  Seems like the potential should be there to be a star

His does put some pop on his passes so that's another plus that few others on the roster are capable of.

Being the only 4 yr SJ player will be important even if playing time is limited (I think he'll get ~20 min per game) if he has any desire to be a vet leader in locker room and road..seems like the quiet type though on the floor.

Jones is not the problem but obviously he isn't the solution to any of our problems either. I wouldn't mind him sticking around and playing 10 minutes off the bench or more when we have foul trouble. I am not sure if that is something he wants to do when he can go to a smaller school and play a lot. Jones in a mid major league I think would have success because he has some skill and strength.

Johnny23

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2016, 09:18:11 AM »
I think Jones with the big talent infusion next year could be a very serviceable reserve for 10-15 minutes/game. He could be a good garbage guy who gives us some rebounding and a finisher down low. He looks much more fluid this year with the ball in his hands than he ever did in his previous years here. He has sculpted his body and I think could have a surprisingly decent senior year.

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2016, 09:46:48 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Jones decides to leave after graduating in order to get major minutes somewhere else, or if either Alibegovic or Mussini (or both) decide to explore their professional options back in Italy. I know that fans connect emotionally with players who play hard, and that there is something to be said for continuity in a program, but what our team needs most of all right now is an upgrade in talent.  Can't see us significantly improved If either of those three is here next year and playing major minutes.

We are in the midst of a total rebuild, and we won't play better until we have better players.

The staff's strength is in recruiting.  Let's let them recruit and bring in the talent that will allow us to compete for Big East championships, be it Alkins, Maker, Tucker and Wilson in '17, or anyone else who belongs at that level.

TONYD3

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2016, 10:30:35 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Jones decides to leave after graduating in order to get major minutes somewhere else, or if either Alibegovic or Mussini (or both) decide to explore their professional options back in Italy. I know that fans connect emotionally with players who play hard, and that there is something to be said for continuity in a program, but what our team needs most of all right now is an upgrade in talent.  Can't see us significantly improved If either of those three is here next year and playing major minutes.

We are in the midst of a total rebuild, and we won't play better until we have better players.

The staff's strength is in recruiting.  Let's let them recruit and bring in the talent that will allow us to compete for Big East championships, be it Alkins, Maker, Tucker and Wilson in '17, or anyone else who belongs at that level.

Agree well said.

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2016, 12:10:56 PM »
Next year we should have an improved Yakwe and Sima, along with Owens.  Williams, if he is able to stay healthy, has a significantly higher ceiling then Jones does.  But if Willliams goes down again, Jones would be there as  a fourth big just in case.  But really, Ahmed could slide over to the  four in a pinch so I don't really see a serious need for CJ next year.  (Definitely would have him back next year if he wants to come back as he has been a good soldier for four years and he seems like a nice kid).  But if he decides to go elsewhere for more minutes, it would not be too devastating.

Now if we don't get Alkins or Maker, we still have one more ship available.  A juco or 5th year transfer, who is a strong post defender with some type of offensive competence, would be my preference.  And in that case, Jones would be completely out of the rotation.

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2016, 12:18:50 PM »
Their is something about jones that I want no part of. He had a decent season. Can't see him helping us beat big east teams. Maybe he can play at incarnate word?
Hmm.  It seems to me I have read OVER and OVER on this board about how bad IW is. I can't remember from whom though.

TONYD3

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2016, 12:25:57 PM »
Their is something about jones that I want no part of. He had a decent season. Can't see him helping us beat big east teams. Maybe he can play at incarnate word?
Hmm.  It seems to me I have read OVER and OVER on this board about how bad IW is. I can't remember from whom though.
Agreed Willie. Incarnate wood sucks

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2016, 12:39:24 PM »
I think Jones with the big talent infusion next year could be a very serviceable reserve for 10-15 minutes/game. He could be a good garbage guy who gives us some rebounding and a finisher down low. He looks much more fluid this year with the ball in his hands than he ever did in his previous years here. He has sculpted his body and I think could have a surprisingly decent senior year.

Always thought CJ would do well looking into the NFL draft when his SJU/basketball days are over. Gotta' think several teams would love to work with a 6'7" 230 guy.