Turn the page!!!!!!

• 60 replies

paultzman

Re: Turn the page!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 09:00:11 AM »
I find posts that are critical of Chris Mullin distasteful.  :down:

Its a fan message board.  Do you want everyone to sit around holding hands singing kumbaya?
Accept the fact that fans are well within their right to be critical of anyone and everyone.
+1

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 09:01:12 AM »
Man I wish we had Lavin and his hustling staff, Puff Daddy Obekpa, and Gangbanger Rysheed. I'm sure we would be top 10. Brandon Sampson is lighting it up also. What could be been...

TONYD3

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 09:07:24 AM »
Man I wish we had Lavin and his hustling staff, Puff Daddy Obekpa, and Gangbanger Rysheed. I'm sure we would be top 10. Brandon Sampson is lighting it up also. What could be been...
You guys can try and change the topic all you want. Lavin and company are gone. Nothing to do with turning the page.

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 09:08:12 AM »
You guys can continue to make as many excuses as you want. Yesterday was awful. 1st year or not. Lack of talent or not. Getting thrown out of a game is ridiculas when your team is non competive. Maybe one of the guards who left a shooter wide open could have gotten blasted by the coach instead of crying to referees. Since it happened on almost every possession their were plenty of times he could make his point. Were any adjustments made yesterday? If we couldn't guard their PG, why not try a zone or try anything?
No way we win next year if 2 assistants sit there non participating, the head coach crying, and the team coached by the 4th assistant.
If you watched yesterday's game and don't see a problem you are lying to yourself or I don't want to say it

It would be nice to see him show some fire and scream at M'vouika, but M'vouika is what he is. A terrible basketball player. Oh, but don't forget, he had two surgeries. So maybe that's it, Mullin knows he has garbage, and to yell at them when he believes that they have no hope is pointless.

Thing is, I think some of these guys could work a lot harder, and from what I can see, they don't want to.

Your fixation on M'Vouika is bizarre.  Did you know that M'Vouika has the second highest offensive efficiency rating on the team (per KenPom)?  He is a strong role player for this team, statistically speaking, and I continue see a guy who is limited in skill and athleticism yet plays with passion. 

Wods317

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 09:29:36 AM »
This season has been utterly forgettable obviously but let's not be too harsh on the staff until they have a real roster to work with next season. I agree there have been some defensive efforts like yesterday that have been almost shameful but we have to let this play out. If we still see all these issues by mid season next year we may have an issue. If you put mostly any coaching staff with this group I think it would look ugly. I hope sima and Mussini work hard this off season. I have seen improvement from Ellison and Yawke. We will need these 4 guys next year to make any short of jump.

« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016, 09:33:47 AM »
It's not about "real rosters".  It's about who's going to teach defense.  Right now it's no one.  I watched Duke/Pitt before this game and both teams gave defensive clinics out there.

We play no defense.  Period.  I don't care if Mullin and company bring in five five star players.  No defense equals mediocrity.  I'm losing hope for next season.  Big time.

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2016, 10:25:50 AM »

Its a fan message board.  Do you want everyone to sit around holding hands singing kumbaya?
Accept the fact that fans are well within their right to be critical of anyone and everyone.

Certain aspects of this season are fair to question. But trying to critique Mullin as a coach overall is not fair given the situation. Pretty strange that a nincompoop like Norm was given more rope than the best player in School history.

Foad

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 10:29:53 AM »
You guys can try and change the topic all you want. Lavin and company are gone. Nothing to do with turning the page.

Actually the topic of this thread is "turning the page." So it has everything to do with turning the page. And the fact that Lavin didn't recruit for two years and failed to develop the players he did recruit has everything to do with why the page needs to be turned.

Poison

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2016, 10:50:39 AM »
You guys can continue to make as many excuses as you want. Yesterday was awful. 1st year or not. Lack of talent or not. Getting thrown out of a game is ridiculas when your team is non competive. Maybe one of the guards who left a shooter wide open could have gotten blasted by the coach instead of crying to referees. Since it happened on almost every possession their were plenty of times he could make his point. Were any adjustments made yesterday? If we couldn't guard their PG, why not try a zone or try anything?
No way we win next year if 2 assistants sit there non participating, the head coach crying, and the team coached by the 4th assistant.
If you watched yesterday's game and don't see a problem you are lying to yourself or I don't want to say it

It would be nice to see him show some fire and scream at M'vouika, but M'vouika is what he is. A terrible basketball player. Oh, but don't forget, he had two surgeries. So maybe that's it, Mullin knows he has garbage, and to yell at them when he believes that they have no hope is pointless.

Thing is, I think some of these guys could work a lot harder, and from what I can see, they don't want to.

Your fixation on M'Vouika is bizarre.  Did you know that M'Vouika has the second highest offensive efficiency rating on the team (per KenPom)?  He is a strong role player for this team, statistically speaking, and I continue see a guy who is limited in skill and athleticism yet plays with passion. 

If you think he plays with passion, we are watching a different player. I see the worst defender I've ever seen. Anywhere.

« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2016, 11:16:21 AM »

Are you seriously calling Jordan a "gangbanger?"  Really, dude?   

I bet at one point half of the NBA was smoking weed.  Am I saying that's right?  Heck no!  That stuff stinks like crazy.  But, I can find far more worst things than toking.

Poison

« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2016, 11:34:05 AM »

I bet at one point half of the NBA was smoking weed.  Am I saying that's right?  Heck no!  That stuff stinks like crazy.  But, I can find far more worst things than toking.

If half the NBA is smoking weed, it's about time the other half start to as well.

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2016, 11:48:46 AM »

If half the NBA is smoking weed, it's about time the other half start to as well.

I don't believe they're still as lax, but at one point there was a lot of marijuana use in the Association. 
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:49:04 AM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2016, 11:57:10 AM »

No, I want everyone to remember that this man virtually single-handedly brought us to the final four and a #1 ranking in the nation.

Without him, our glory years go back to before I was born during the Lapchick era.

A simple thank you would do fine. 

Poison

« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2016, 12:04:30 PM »

No, I want everyone to remember that this man virtually single-handedly brought us to the final four and a #1 ranking in the nation.

Without him, our glory years go back to before I was born during the Lapchick era.

A simple thank you would do fine. 

I think the fan base appreciates him. But that appreciation shouldn't mean that he gets to coach without any criticism. It's too early to judge his performance. Let's review again at this time next year.

« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 12:50:37 PM »
I think the point was that Lavin bet big on Chris and Sheed, and it largely backfired.  Yes they were both very talented (especially Sheed), and had their moments. But they also caused plenty of problems that have been discussed ad nauseum. Had Lavin made the right call with those two spots, we likely wouldn't be in the position we are today.

« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2016, 01:10:56 PM »
I think the fan base appreciates him. But that appreciation shouldn't mean that he gets to coach without any criticism. 

Everyone is free to post whatever they like.  It's in the constitution.

Please forgive me for feeling smugly superior as I read from the sidelines without joining in on the criticism of our one immortal player.

« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2016, 01:13:40 PM »
I think the point was that Lavin bet big on Chris and Sheed, and it largely backfired.  Yes they were both very talented (especially Sheed), and had their moments. But they also caused plenty of problems that have been discussed ad nauseum. Had Lavin made the right call with those two spots, we likely wouldn't be in the position we are today.

I don't care about the supposed "point," as some things should be prohibited.  Jordan is still a person at the end of the day, and hasn't done anything to get himself into trouble outside of hoops.  He was supposedly a headache to deal with, so leave it right there.  If by chance y'all are vicariously living your lives through these kids and sports in general, then shame on you. 
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 01:21:47 PM by mjdinkins »

TONYD3

« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2016, 01:29:59 PM »
Turning the page as I understand it refers to next season. Chris Mullin the player has nothing to do with that. Neither does Steve Lavin or any of his former players. Next season is about Chris Mullin the coach and his players .

« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2016, 02:02:02 PM »
After the first round Big East game, the honeymoon period is officially over. No more excuses next year and beyond-they are his people now.  And even this season was a failure of sorts. I beg to wonder how many of you saw us winning only 1 Big East game and losing to both Incarnate Word and NJIT and getting smoked by DePaul.  Can make all the excuses you want about not having own people but in the end not enough effort was shown this year collectively.

-I saw us sweeping the cupcakes and winning at least 3-4 games in BE this season with 1 huge upset in Conference -that has not happened, not even close unless Providence this weekend or BE Tourny. Been blown out in most games this year.

-Things to take away from this season-  Yakwe, Sima potential, Extra year of Lovett and Syracuse game. That is the extent of it.

-Next year with actual guards there had better be substantial improvement. And that means at or slighly above 500 in Conference, sweeping cupcakes and if we lose make it close not a destruction.  NIT lock and knocking on door of tourney is not too much to ask. If we reach that, year 3 we should be close to top in BE and Tourney lock for years to come if recruiting soon follows.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 02:02:44 PM by friendofjohnnie »

« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2016, 02:39:08 PM »

Ya you're right. He was a great kid and teammate