• 186 replies
Re: Big East Tournament
« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2016, 12:20:31 PM »
SJU handed out plentyyyyyy of package deals the last 5 years:

-Marco Bourgeault to get Orlando Sanchez
-Felix Balamou to get Chris Obekpa
-Max Hooper to keep Jakarr Sampson strong
-Had a verbal commitment from Dom Pointer's HS teammate, Dwight Meikle

Also remember that we had a former staff member rendezvousing in a Greenburgh parking lot to pick up a fake academic transcript

And when 100 college basketball coaches were polled on the dirtiest recruitments of the past decade, we had 4 of our committments appear on this list of only 24 total players (Obekpa, Jakarr, Norvel Pelle and Jevon Thomas). 

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/19865011/critical-coaches-which-player-had-the-dirtiest-recruitment

So those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, particularly those that choose to defend the former coach that the all the above happened under :)

I personally don't really care that much what coaches do to get players, especially if its our coaches.  Just be smart enough to not get caught or embarrass the program.

First off I don't have any issue with any of this but to compare a package deal with multiple players with a coach hiring is nonsense.

« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2016, 12:27:15 PM »

Also remember that we had a former staff member rendezvousing in a Greenburgh parking lot to pick up a fake academic transcript

And when 100 college basketball coaches were polled on the dirtiest recruitments of the past decade, we had 4 of our committments appear on this list of only 24 total players (Obekpa, Jakarr, Norvel Pelle and Jevon Thomas). 

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/19865011/critical-coaches-which-player-had-the-dirtiest-recruitment

So those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, particularly those that choose to defend the former coach that the all the above happened under :)

I personally don't really care that much what coaches do to get players, especially if its our coaches.  Just be smart enough to not get caught or embarrass the program.

First off I don't have any issue with any of this but to compare a package deal with multiple players with a coach hiring is nonsense.

Much higher risk hiring the coach. That takes 1 of 3 spots where as player is 1 of 13. Not to mention figuring out compensation and not upsetting your other 2 assistants.

If Massiello got a diploma Kevin Willard probably would have been fired. Antigua would have never got USF job and brought his brother which immediately eliminated the huge risk of Antigua and Morton killing each other in the office.

Willard played Russian roulette 5x and is still alive. No one would ever recommend going down his path but it worked out in the end for him.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2016, 05:41:44 PM »

You're right... the difference is the package deal with Tiny worked out whereas the package deals for our players didn't. :)
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #143 on: March 16, 2016, 06:18:18 PM »

If you can show me the rule that prohibits coaches from recruiting more then one player from a high school or JUCO school, I will agree with you.  Otherwise I will say you shouldn't have posted that, because it seems to suggest it is illegal when it most certainly isn't.  Why did you even bring it up?  It's not against the rules.

redslope

« Reply #144 on: March 16, 2016, 06:33:49 PM »

If you can show me the rule that prohibits coaches from recruiting more then one player from a high school or JUCO school, I will agree with you.  Otherwise I will say you shouldn't have posted that, because it seems to suggest it is illegal when it most certainly isn't.  Why did you even bring it up?  It's not against the rules.

To you young ones it is not only the past 5 years. Riverside Cham was a feeder program for us for a 20 year period until in collapsed due to internal Riverside management issues.  Not only did we get numerous players but also a staff member from them.  A lot of schools develop "working relationships" with AAU moguls and their teams which is legal a long as no boundaries are crossed and none were crossed in  a stream of players from Chris through Artest/Barkley/Jessie   

« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2016, 06:34:46 PM »

Nor is it against the rules to  hire a HS coach as an assistant so the entire conversation must be moot.

« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2016, 07:04:35 PM »

You're right... the difference is the package deal with Tiny worked out whereas the package deals for our players didn't. :)
Just read the article that you gave the link for.  It's gibberish.  And it 's from the same outlet that said that package deal's for coaches players were totally legal. They got no cred. CBS.com. What a two bit article, form some two bit .com..  I'm surprised that their parent company even allows them to use the name CBS in their name. We don't even know who these coaches were or even what the accusations were. And also, in the article itself it even says that just because someone made accusations, it doesn't make them true. That's their disclaimer. We know exactly what Willard did.  And we know who reported it.  Not some anonymous coach.  We have Tiny himself saying he asked Lavin why STJ didn't have a spot for him on their staff.  We knew what happened.  It was a package deal.  THAT'S ILLEGAL!  Now what even are the accusations against Jak and the others?  We don't even know.  Just some vague criticism by some anonymous source.  Garbage. Like the Inside Sports article from the mid 80's.  "SJU players are paid from $600-1,000", said the anonymous source.  And they were allowed to be paid $617.  Real good reporting. The NCAA didn't investigate because they were allowed to be paid $617 a month.

I  brought up the Jarvis staff cheating.  Never meant to say that STJ never cheated because we did.  That was brought to light as it should have been.  If you break the rules there has to be consequences. ( There was a female soccer player that got suspended for washing her car from the faucet on the back of her gym. I think she was due a warning or a letter of reprimand. But she got suspended.  If she got suspended anybody could.  As FoJ said, look at what gets penalized and this doesn't?).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 07:24:02 PM by WillieG »

« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »

Nor is it against the rules to  hire a HS coach as an assistant so the entire conversation must be moot.
Yankcranker, you must have come late to the discussion.  Redslope was kind enough to post the rule in the middle of page 4 of this thread, though unfortunately he misread.  It is bylaw 11.4.1.1.  It prohibits " the contract from being contingent on the commitment of the [recruit]".  Unless your argument is that it was not a package deal.  It was widely reported to be a package deal eight months before the job opening was even posted on their website. Journalists were just not aware of bylaw11.4.1.1. Unless your view is it wasn't a package deal, I don't understand you saying the point is moot.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 07:20:29 PM by WillieG »

« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2016, 07:35:03 PM »

To you young ones it is not only the past 5 years. Riverside Cham was a feeder program for us for a 20 year period until in collapsed due to internal Riverside management issues.  Not only did we get numerous players but also a staff member from them.  A lot of schools develop "working relationships" with AAU moguls and their teams which is legal a long as no boundaries are crossed and none were crossed in  a stream of players from Chris through Artest/Barkley/Jessie
Redslope, the rules about AAU and high school coaches are totally separate from each other, and they're totally different rules. Totally different. Was not aware of us breaking rules with AAU.  But if you are aware of specific cases, by all means, bring them up.  IT'S LEGAL TO DEVELOP RELATIONSHIPS WITH HIGH SCHOOLS AND AAU PROGRAMS.  BUT 11'4'1.1 PROHIBITS YOU FROM HIRING THE HIGH SCHOOL COACH IN A PACKAGE DEAL. It's really very simple. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 07:41:17 PM by WillieG »

« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2016, 07:45:29 PM »
What's not so simple is to prove it, even if we all know it's the case.  Tiny wasn't hired until a year after IW signed for a reason.

« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2016, 07:48:16 PM »
I don't see why this wouldn't make anybody furious.

It does not make me furious because I have a woman and a bong and a bottle of Ketel One. Okay, half a bottle. But tomorrow I'll have a full bottle. But that's just the circle of life.

I agree with you re SH. Probably they cheated. In the same way that DoOk cheated getting Boozer and Duhon and whoever else. And the same way that all those other program cheated getting all those other recruits. It's your outrage that is hard to understand. This is the way college BB works. Larry Brown won a NC hiring Danny Manning's father. There's a long list. This shit happens. Which is why this selective outrage is misplaced. If Willard hired Tiny to get Whitehead and that resulted in Lavin getting fired they should hand Willard's jersey in the rafters in Carnesecca Arena.

Agree & not too many high major programs don't cheat. The system is what it is.
  But Paultz, don't you think that's all the more reason to come down on the blue bloods if they get found out.  Brown, Boeheim, Calhoun, Williams at UNC.  The blue bloods.  They have lucrative contracts with the world wide sports leader, and they are sort of being protected from a public relations standpoint.  Any school should be punished.

« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2016, 07:55:55 PM »
What's not so simple is to prove it, even if we all know it's the case.  Tiny wasn't hired until a year after IW signed for a reason.
Now you're talking.  This is the conversation I originally thought we'd have.  What I had said was that you can't prove it in a concrete way unless the school was stupid enough to write the contingency into the contract.  Or unless you have them on tape saying we'll hire you if he comes here.  But the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming.  The NCAA has a lower standard of proof then a court of law.  They can disallow a kids SAT score if they think it is too high.  Could the kid be prosecuted for fraud?  No way, unless they caught him red handed.  It's a different standard of proof.  The NCAA could have disallowed the recruitment.

Pete88

« Reply #152 on: March 16, 2016, 08:18:41 PM »
Now you're talking.  This is the conversation I originally thought we'd have.  What I had said was that you can't prove it in a concrete way unless the school was stupid enough to write the contingency into the contract.  Or unless you have them on tape saying we'll hire you if he comes here.  But the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming.  The NCAA has a lower standard of proof then a court of law.  They can disallow a kids SAT score if they think it is too high.  Could the kid be prosecuted for fraud?  No way, unless they caught him red handed.  It's a different standard of proof. 
Now you're talking.  This is the conversation I originally thought we'd have.  What I had said was that you can't prove it in a concrete way unless the school was stupid enough to write the contingency into the contract.  Or unless you have them on tape saying we'll hire you if he comes here.  But the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming.  The NCAA has a lower standard of proof then a court of law.  They can disallow a kids SAT score if they think it is too high.  Could the kid be prosecuted for fraud?  No way, unless they caught him red handed.  It's a different standard of proof.  The NCAA could have disallowed the recruitment.
/quote]

But the NCAA didn't disallow it, so case closed.  Right??

« Reply #153 on: March 16, 2016, 08:51:07 PM »
Willie G, can you make your point in 3 sentences or less?

Poison

« Reply #154 on: March 16, 2016, 09:15:56 PM »
I don't see why this wouldn't make anybody furious.

It does not make me furious because I have a woman and a bong and a bottle of Ketel One. Okay, half a bottle. But tomorrow I'll have a full bottle. But that's just the circle of life.

I agree with you re SH. Probably they cheated. In the same way that DoOk cheated getting Boozer and Duhon and whoever else. And the same way that all those other program cheated getting all those other recruits. It's your outrage that is hard to understand. This is the way college BB works. Larry Brown won a NC hiring Danny Manning's father. There's a long list. This shit happens. Which is why this selective outrage is misplaced. If Willard hired Tiny to get Whitehead and that resulted in Lavin getting fired they should hand Willard's jersey in the rafters in Carnesecca Arena.

Agree & not too many high major programs don't cheat. The system is what it is.
  But Paultz, don't you think that's all the more reason to come down on the blue bloods if they get found out.  Brown, Boeheim, Calhoun, Williams at UNC.  The blue bloods.  They have lucrative contracts with the world wide sports leader, and they are sort of being protected from a public relations standpoint.  Any school should be punished.

I don't think Jim Boeheim is being protected. He's been humbled by this recent NCAA situation. Not saying he's not completely guilty, because I believe the head coach is responsible for what happens in his program. But the media has let him have it. Notice after they fired Beenie Fine no one else took an ounce of blame for anything that the university was guilty of. Only Boeheim answered for it.

I'm curious to see what will happen to Rick Pitino and Roy Williams, if anything?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 09:16:50 PM by Poison »

« Reply #155 on: March 16, 2016, 09:43:49 PM »
There is a huge difference between a package deal of 2 players wanting to play together for a school and a package deal of adding a COACH on staff for a paid position to get a player.   Its absolutely disgusting. I said it then and Ill say it now.  Even if IW did not pick us would have felt better at another school if it was done without a cheap coach deal.

HOWEVER, this scandal will be moot in 2 years when Willard is fired anyway. No IW next year they are going to take a step back and the year after it will continue unless a miracle recruit comes. This season gave Willard a 2 year window.

goredmen

« Reply #156 on: March 16, 2016, 10:01:45 PM »
Not sure why some people think IW leaving after this year is a foregone conclusion. I don't see him on the nbaexpress or nbadraftnet mocks for this year. That probably doesn't mean much but I think it's far from a lock he's gone after this year

« Reply #157 on: March 16, 2016, 10:14:24 PM »
What is this Twitter?  Actually I think twitter now allows you to make longer posts.

« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2016, 10:18:54 PM »
There is a huge difference between a package deal of 2 players wanting to play together for a school and a package deal of adding a COACH on staff for a paid position to get a player.   Its absolutely disgusting.
Well said.  It's also against 11.4.1.1. 

« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2016, 10:22:06 PM »
What is this Twitter?  Actually I think twitter now allows you to make longer posts.

This post was even too long