Big East Tournament

• 186 replies

Poison

Re: Big East Tournament
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2016, 11:24:47 PM »
Evidently Lavin said Seton Hall was too immature to beat Creighton, and SH used it as bulletin board material.  Afterward, Willard sent him  Luther Wright jersey.  (Wright ended up in an asylum. Subtle message).  So Lavin said something about Willard tonight but I missed it.  Stoner had to say, "only kidding" for him.  But I missed what it was.  Did anyone catch it?

Who cares. Lavin is an analyst. He's supposed to be asked who he thinks will win. He picked the wrong team and he gave a reason why that I don't think people would have disagreed with a couple of days ago. It's sad that Lavin, a guy who did good things here is getting picked on for something so meaningless.

I imagine you're joking about Kevin Willard sending a Luther Wright jersey to Lavin. If by some bizarre chance that actually happened, then Willard is the one who needs to grow up.

Getting back to the game at hand, Seton Hall has improved tremendously over the course of the season. I hate Seton Hall, but I see what I see, and they're very good. Hopefully, Whitehead and company think they're good enough to go pro and they leave the Hall with a different team next year.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 11:27:56 PM by Poison »

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 11:44:07 PM »
Yeah, Willard really did send it to him.  They had it on the set.  Before the tourney started Lavin said he loved Willard, and Stoner and Donny Marshall burst out laughing.  Not so subtle statement that Lavin hates his guts.  And understandably so.

Agree with your assessment of SH.  They look like world beaters.  Tremendous talent on that roster.  How could they have had an unranked season?  Look at that talent.  Remember the second half against us?  They're trying to give the game to X right now.

Poison

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 11:53:34 PM »
Yeah, Willard really did send it to him.  They had it on the set.  Before the tourney started Lavin said he loved Willard, and Stoner and Donny Marshall burst out laughing.  Not so subtle statement that Lavin hates his guts.  And understandably so.

Agree with your assessment of SH.  They look like world beaters.  Tremendous talent on that roster.  How could they have had an unranked season?  Look at that talent.  Remember the second half against us?  They're trying to give the game to X right now.

Lavin just said when asked who he liked for tomorrow, "I don't think there's any doubt, Seton Hall with their maturity."

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 11:56:57 PM »
Someone please tell me they just saw the FS1 postgame interview where Whitehead was asked why he didn't join Lavin at St. Johns and he basically says lavin blew it and stopped recruiting him by saying something along the lines of "I don't know ill let lavin take this one"

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2016, 12:02:18 AM »
Someone please tell me they just saw the FS1 postgame interview where Whitehead was asked why he didn't join Lavin at St. Johns and he basically says lavin blew it and stopped recruiting him by saying something along the lines of "I don't know ill let lavin take this one"

Yep, said  "Coach Lavin can answer that himself". Was insanely awkward.

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2016, 12:08:03 AM »
I've always liked lavin but that interview was INFURIATING

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2016, 12:11:46 AM »

These people are BS artists.  Lav said the reason was that IW knew that Lav was to be fired.  Total BS.  IW commited to the Hall in Fall of 2013.  He was nowhere near the hot seat at that point.  When he didn't make the tourney that Spring, then he was in the hot seat.  Still a lot of people were surprised he was canned with one year left on his contract.  But to say anyone knew he was going to be fired in The Fall of 2013 his nonsense. (he was fired unexpectedly in the Spring of 2015. How could anyone know he was to be fired in the fall of 13')?

Donny was trying to get at the fact that it was  a package deal with Tiny, which it obviously was.  I always liked Lav as  a person.  Less so now.  Just tell the truth man, or refrain from comment.  Willard cheated and that's why Lav hates his guts.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 12:16:26 AM by WillieG »

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2016, 12:18:19 AM »

These people are BS artists.  Lav said the reason was that IW knew that Lav was to be fired.  Total BS.  IW commited to the Hall in Fall of 2013.  He was nowhere near the hot seat at that point.  When he didn't make the tourney that Spring, then he was in the hot seat.  Still a lot of people were surprised he was canned with one year left on his contract.  But to say anyone knew he was going to be fired in The Fall of 2013 his nonsense. (he was fired unexpectedly in the Spring of 2015. How could anyone know he was to be fired in the fall of 13')?

Donny was trying to get at the fact that it was  a package deal with Tiny, which it obviously was.  I always liked Lav as  a person.  Less so now.  Just tell the truth man, or refrain from comment.  Willard cheated and that's why Lav hates his guts.

He didn't cheat and he's one game from winning the Big East and also still has a job. He pulled a desperation move and it payed off.

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2016, 12:23:52 AM »

He didn't cheat and he's one game from winning the Big East and also still has a job. He pulled a desperation move and it payed off.
How does the fact that he is in the championship game make it not cheating? And how does the fact that it was a desperation move make it not cheating?  Look up the rule for God sakes?  Then make the statement.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2016, 12:33:15 AM »

Lavin was joking.

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2016, 12:40:15 AM »

Lavin was joking.
Was this clear to the general public taking in the game?  Definitely not.  Lav should have insinuated it was something illicit, instead of what he did.  It WAS infuriating Johnnystar.  Donny had IW squirming on the set.  IW obviously knew it was illicit too.

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2016, 01:49:40 AM »
Steve Lavin and Donny Marshall can both #$%^ right off.

kob24

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2016, 06:49:53 AM »
They both are joking around. Kevin Willard pulled out everything to get whitehead and keep his job. He sold his soul but it is paying off right now. I don't blame dude whitehead is a beast.

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2016, 07:41:41 AM »
Willard's job was seemingly on the line, so he did what a desperate man would do, he got the kid he needed that he thought would turn it around. I won't give him credit for Whitehead.

However I will give him credit for Carrington and Desi. Lav dropped the ball on Carrington. I remember Chiles recruiting him aggressively at one point and we had strong momentum then it just stopped. Clearly, he would have been a great get. He wouldn't have played as much as he did for us last year, but Lavin could have made it work.

Overall, I would say Seton Hall getting it done with a soph class of local kids basically reflects how bad Lavin was recruiting the last 2 years.

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2016, 10:41:29 AM »
Willard's job was seemingly on the line, so he did what a desperate man would do, he got the kid he needed that he thought would turn it around. I won't give him credit for Whitehead.

However I will give him credit for Carrington and Desi. Lav dropped the ball on Carrington. I remember Chiles recruiting him aggressively at one point and we had strong momentum then it just stopped. Clearly, he would have been a great get. He wouldn't have played as much as he did for us last year, but Lavin could have made it work.

Overall, I would say Seton Hall getting it done with a soph class of local kids basically reflects how bad Lavin was recruiting the last 2 years.

If you're not gonna give Willard credit for Whitehead, then he also doesn't get credt for Rodriguez.  Whitehead and Rodriguez came along with Tiny, and Delgado came along with Antigua.

Blame Lavin for Carrington, and that's about it.  Frankly, I wish folks would move along.  Not you in general, but for people who continue to ponder over it.

LoganK

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2016, 10:44:36 AM »

Lavin was joking.
Was this clear to the general public taking in the game?  Definitely not.  Lav should have insinuated it was something illicit, instead of what he did.  It WAS infuriating Johnnystar.  Donny had IW squirming on the set.  IW obviously knew it was illicit too.
Lav is a color commentator.  He doesn't get paid to out a coach for illegal recruiting tactics in a live postgame interview with the star of the winning team.  THAT would have been awkward, and unprofessional.  Not the time or place to have made a comment on that situation.

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2016, 11:51:54 AM »

Carrington wanted to play with Whitehead, so whoever got Whitehead also got Carrington.  Whitehead was the one who Willard chaeated to get.  So he does not get credit really for Carrington in my mind.  To me he is just a big cheater.

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2016, 11:53:56 AM »

Lavin was joking.
Lav is a color commentator.  He doesn't get paid to out a coach for illegal recruiting tactics in a live postgame interview with the star of the winning team.  THAT would have been awkward, and unprofessional.  Not the time or place to have made a comment on that situation.
Then just say nothing then.  Don't bring it up at all.  Don't mislead anyone.  Because THAT was unprofessional and awkward.

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2016, 12:03:50 PM »

Frankly, I wish folks would move along. 
What do you mean?  They were talking about it live on national television last night on the floor of Madison Square Garden at the Big East tournament.  And now you are saying posters shouldn't respond?  Marginal programs of Catholic schools can live and die by single recruits.  PEOPLE LOSE THEIR JOBS OVER THIS. You can if it's a marginal program.  Willard is getting so much glory right now, but he is just a cheater.  They weren't even ranked all year.  They underachieved.  If you can't bring this up now, when could you?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 12:07:51 PM by WillieG »

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2016, 12:06:45 PM »
Steve Lavin and Donny Marshall can both #$%^ right off.
  You mean Willard, right?  You're not from Seton Hall are you ?  Because they don't seem to be to objective when it comes to this.  They can't fathom  the idea that it was a package deal.