• 186 replies
Re: Big East Tournament
« Reply #160 on: March 16, 2016, 10:24:47 PM »
SJU handed out plentyyyyyy of package deals the last 5 years:

-Marco Bourgeault to get Orlando Sanchez
-Felix Balamou to get Chris Obekpa
-Max Hooper to keep Jakarr Sampson strong
-Had a verbal commitment from Dom Pointer's HS teammate, Dwight Meikle

Also remember that we had a former staff member rendezvousing in a Greenburgh parking lot to pick up a fake academic transcript

And when 100 college basketball coaches were polled on the dirtiest recruitments of the past decade, we had 4 of our committments appear on this list of only 24 total players (Obekpa, Jakarr, Norvel Pelle and Jevon Thomas). 

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/19865011/critical-coaches-which-player-had-the-dirtiest-recruitment

So those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, particularly those that choose to defend the former coach that the all the above happened under :)

I personally don't really care that much what coaches do to get players, especially if its our coaches.  Just be smart enough to not get caught or embarrass the program.
If you can show me the rule that prohibits coaches from recruiting more then one player from a high school or JUCO school, I will agree with you.  Otherwise I will say you shouldn't have posted that, because it seems to suggest it is illegal when it most certainly isn't.  Why did you even bring it up?  It's not against the rules.

You're saying one thing isn't against the rules while the thing you're arguing against isn't illegal either.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #161 on: March 16, 2016, 10:26:52 PM »
I don't see why this wouldn't make anybody furious.

It does not make me furious because I have a woman and a bong and a bottle of Ketel One. Okay, half a bottle. But tomorrow I'll have a full bottle. But that's just the circle of life.

I agree with you re SH. Probably they cheated. In the same way that DoOk cheated getting Boozer and Duhon and whoever else. And the same way that all those other program cheated getting all those other recruits. It's your outrage that is hard to understand. This is the way college BB works. Larry Brown won a NC hiring Danny Manning's father. There's a long list. This shit happens. Which is why this selective outrage is misplaced. If Willard hired Tiny to get Whitehead and that resulted in Lavin getting fired they should hand Willard's jersey in the rafters in Carnesecca Arena.

Agree & not too many high major programs don't cheat. The system is what it is.
  But Paultz, don't you think that's all the more reason to come down on the blue bloods if they get found out.  Brown, Boeheim, Calhoun, Williams at UNC.  The blue bloods.  They have lucrative contracts with the world wide sports leader, and they are sort of being protected from a public relations standpoint.  Any school should be punished.

I don't think Jim Boeheim is being protected. He's been humbled by this recent NCAA situation. Not saying he's not completely guilty, because I believe the head coach is responsible for what happens in his program. But the media has let him have it. Notice after they fired Beenie Fine no one else took an ounce of blame for anything that the university was guilty of. Only Boeheim answered for it.

I'm curious to see what will happen to Rick Pitino and Roy Williams, if anything?
You're right in a lot of ways Poison.  There rep has taken a hit. But I did see Bilas host a forum where he had Boeheim and Williams on together, and he protected both of them. Big time.  And they are both totally in the wrong. And he let them say all sorts of ridiculous stuff and he didn't ask any of the obvious next questions.  I could go into the specifics of what they said, but Baldi might complain. (only kidding) And I forgot about Pitino and Louisville.  It always seems like the big programs like UConn.  And us unfortunately with Jarvis staff.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:24:35 PM by WillieG »

« Reply #162 on: March 16, 2016, 10:27:36 PM »

Also remember that we had a former staff member rendezvousing in a Greenburgh parking lot to pick up a fake academic transcript

And when 100 college basketball coaches were polled on the dirtiest recruitments of the past decade, we had 4 of our committments appear on this list of only 24 total players (Obekpa, Jakarr, Norvel Pelle and Jevon Thomas). 

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/19865011/critical-coaches-which-player-had-the-dirtiest-recruitment

So those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, particularly those that choose to defend the former coach that the all the above happened under :)

I personally don't really care that much what coaches do to get players, especially if its our coaches.  Just be smart enough to not get caught or embarrass the program.
If you can show me the rule that prohibits coaches from recruiting more then one player from a high school or JUCO school, I will agree with you.  Otherwise I will say you shouldn't have posted that, because it seems to suggest it is illegal when it most certainly isn't.  Why did you even bring it up?  It's not against the rules.

Nor is it against the rules to  hire a HS coach as an assistant so the entire conversation must be moot.
Yankcranker, you must have come late to the discussion.  Redslope was kind enough to post the rule in the middle of page 4 of this thread, though unfortunately he misread.  It is bylaw 11.4.1.1.  It prohibits " the contract from being contingent on the commitment of the [recruit]".  Unless your argument is that it was not a package deal.  It was widely reported to be a package deal eight months before the job opening was even posted on their website. Journalists were just not aware of bylaw11.4.1.1. Unless your view is it wasn't a package deal, I don't understand you saying the point is moot.

It wasn't in Tiny's contract that Isaiah Whitehead will sign a LOI. Just as St. John's recruited Max Hooper in the hopes to land JaKarr Sampson. There was a chance that one wouldn't lead to the other but you had a good idea it would solidify things.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #163 on: March 16, 2016, 10:31:00 PM »
Willie G, can you make your point in 3 sentences or less?
What is this Twitter?  Actually I think twitter now allows you to make longer posts.

This post was even too long
Stay off the board.

« Reply #164 on: March 16, 2016, 10:33:07 PM »

You're saying one thing isn't against the rules while the thing you're arguing against isn't illegal either.
Bylaw 11.4.1.1 says it is Dave.  That's the NCAA itself.  Why would you say that?

« Reply #165 on: March 16, 2016, 10:51:06 PM »
What is this Twitter?  Actually I think twitter now allows you to make longer posts.

Stay off the board.

I've been seriously considering that

wpc77

« Reply #166 on: March 16, 2016, 10:52:21 PM »
Glasses houses indeed, as Theo said.  Time to end the conversation here, Willie

« Reply #167 on: March 16, 2016, 10:53:59 PM »
Why even continue to argue? He won't change his mind.

« Reply #168 on: March 16, 2016, 11:00:21 PM »

Nor is it against the rules to  hire a HS coach as an assistant so the entire conversation must be moot.
Yankcranker, you must have come late to the discussion.  Redslope was kind enough to post the rule in the middle of page 4 of this thread, though unfortunately he misread.  It is bylaw 11.4.1.1.  It prohibits " the contract from being contingent on the commitment of the [recruit]".  Unless your argument is that it was not a package deal.  It was widely reported to be a package deal eight months before the job opening was even posted on their website. Journalists were just not aware of bylaw11.4.1.1. Unless your view is it wasn't a package deal, I don't understand you saying the point is moot.

It wasn't in Tiny's contract that Isaiah Whitehead will sign a LOI. Just as St. John's recruited Max Hooper in the hopes to land JaKarr Sampson. There was a chance that one wouldn't lead to the other but you had a good idea it would solidify things.
Package deals between players themselves are not illegal whereas package deals between players and their HS coaches are expressly prohibited.  There is no concrete proof that it was a package deal but the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming.  It was widely reported to be a package deal at the time of IW's commitment. And this was 8 months before the job opening was even posted on their athletics site. Gee, I wonder how they knew?  Of all the thousands of people that could have been hired.  And it just happened to be the same year that IW was arriving.  And tiny himself was even quoted in the news as saying he asked lavin why SJU did not have an opening for him on the staff.  And much more than that.

The NCAA does not have the same standard of proof that a court of law has.  They disallow kids SAT scores if they think they are too high even though they were not caught red handed cheating..  The Gov. couldn't do that.  Different standard of proof.  The NCAA could disallow a recruitment too.  Or rewrite this poorly written and poorly conceived rule.  They're notorious for being a badly run organization.

« Reply #169 on: March 16, 2016, 11:09:34 PM »
Glasses houses indeed, as Theo said.  Time to end the conversation here, Willie
Just responding to the posts.  It's generating a lot of posts. I can't stop people from posting. I'm responding. It was against the rules. Period. If you don't agree say why. Or don't respond or don't read.  Or say something intelligent like many have.  Glasses houses  indeed.  WTF.  There are some nasty posts here.

« Reply #170 on: March 16, 2016, 11:15:41 PM »

Stay off the board.

You were nice enough to post the rule. I just wish you read it more carefully.  Would have saved a lot of trouble.  Massive post you typed on page four.  It must have taken a lot of time.  It was obnoxious too.  Should have read the rule more carefully when you posted it. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:27:11 PM by WillieG »

« Reply #171 on: March 16, 2016, 11:20:04 PM »
I could say the same thing about you.  Will you change your mind?  Tell me why you don't think Willard didn't break 11.4.1.1.  I was asked to cite the rule.  I did it.  Tell me why you don't think he broke it? Or don't make any more posts.

« Reply #172 on: March 16, 2016, 11:21:33 PM »

Stay off the board.

You were nice enough to post the rule. I just wish you read it more carefully.  Would have saved a lot of trouble.  Massive post you typed.  It must have taken a lot of time.  It was obnoxious too.  Should have read the rule more carefully when you posted it.

7 sentences too long, could've made your point with an emoji
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:21:53 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #173 on: March 16, 2016, 11:35:47 PM »
That's about 16,000 posts too many.  Wait a minute.  Sixteen thousand posts?  And you're an Iona fan. . . . . .              I'll just say this.  In keeping with board rules, stop attacking.  Say something substantive.

« Reply #174 on: March 16, 2016, 11:43:30 PM »
That's about 16,000 posts too many.  Wait a minute.  Sixteen thousand posts?  And you're an Iona fan. . . . . .              I'll just say this.  In keeping with board rules, stop attacking.  Say something substantive.

2pm  on TBS tomorrow. Enjoy

« Reply #175 on: March 16, 2016, 11:45:08 PM »
What's not so simple is to prove it, even if we all know it's the case.  Tiny wasn't hired until a year after IW signed for a reason.
Now you're talking.  This is the conversation I originally thought we'd have.  What I had said was that you can't prove it in a concrete way unless the school was stupid enough to write the contingency into the contract.  Or unless you have them on tape saying we'll hire you if he comes here.  But the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming.  The NCAA has a lower standard of proof then a court of law.  They can disallow a kids SAT score if they think it is too high.  Could the kid be prosecuted for fraud?  No way, unless they caught him red handed.  It's a different standard of proof. 
What's not so simple is to prove it, even if we all know it's the case.  Tiny wasn't hired until a year after IW signed for a reason.
Now you're talking.  This is the conversation I originally thought we'd have.  What I had said was that you can't prove it in a concrete way unless the school was stupid enough to write the contingency into the contract.  Or unless you have them on tape saying we'll hire you if he comes here.  But the circumstantial evidence is overwhelming.  The NCAA has a lower standard of proof then a court of law.  They can disallow a kids SAT score if they think it is too high.  Could the kid be prosecuted for fraud?  No way, unless they caught him red handed.  It's a different standard of proof.  The NCAA could have disallowed the recruitment.
/quote]

But the NCAA didn't disallow it, so case closed.  Right??
I can't stop people from posting here Pete.  I respond.  Oh wait a minute.  If I don't respond maybe they'll stop.

« Reply #176 on: March 16, 2016, 11:47:10 PM »

2pm  on TBS tomorrow. Enjoy
Good team to watch.  I'll tape it.  I was talking about you though.  LOL. Your OK Baldi.

LoganK

« Reply #177 on: March 17, 2016, 09:47:02 AM »
This has gotten absurd.  It would be illegal if something illegal happened.  The recruit was not contingent on the coach.  Not in the contract.  Anything else is heresay.  Let's move on.

Foad

« Reply #178 on: March 17, 2016, 11:33:45 AM »
This has gotten absurd.  It would be illegal if something illegal happened.  The recruit was not contingent on the coach.  Not in the contract.  Anything else is heresay.  Let's move on.

I am not interested in posts suggesting that a poster stop posting about what that poster is interested in and instead post about something that a poster not interested in his post is interested in. Please do not make posts like this any more.

« Reply #179 on: March 17, 2016, 08:14:41 PM »
I could say the same thing about you.  Will you change your mind?  Tell me why you don't think Willard didn't break 11.4.1.1.  I was asked to cite the rule.  I did it.  Tell me why you don't think he broke it? Or don't make any more posts.

Yes, I'll change my mind if the NCAA puts Seton Hall on probation for breaking rule 11.4.1.1.