Yakwe on BE All Freshman Team

• 45 replies
Re: Yakwe on BE All Freshman Team
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 02:23:04 PM »
Very well deserved- by far one of our best players this season and undisputed top underclassmen. The future is very bright for him.  Once he has help next year we will win many more games.

The Our Savior duo of Felix and Yakwe has outplayed the entire team and even their former teammate Diallo this season. That was certainly unexpected.  Let us not forget Yakwe was technically high school senior this season and still brought his game to a higher level.

Felix had one of the worst senior seasons any St.John's player has ever had. Probably the worst, actually.

Oh really what games were you watching? When I last checked that honor belongs to johnson and ron. They sucked from a production standpoint to flat out laziness on the court.
This was felix first and only year getting real burn. I dont call averaging 7 points a game and showing hustle and energy unlike most others one of the worst in history. 

Johnson played much better as the season wore on. Ron became a complete disaster. He isn't physically able to play basketball. Balamou played lousy defense and couldn't finish anything. At least Johnson improved and contributed. A lot of his points came in garbage time, but this is a garbage team, so who cares?

Balamou played last year probably more than he should have. He was absolutely given a chance, and he didn't take advantage of it. Is that supposed to be Lavin's fault, too?

Balamou can't finish??? Um WHAT?
He can't shoot and not a smart defender, but finishing statement is ludicrous!

No it isn't. He's not a great finisher because he had one dunk against Seton Hall.

Every single point he scored this year was going hard to the basket. Makes tough layups in traffic all the time. You want to criticize Felix, knock yourself out, he is not a good all around basketball player but finishing is the one thing he does well and why he has a BE scholarship

Wasju, felix shot 44% from the field. The vast majority of those attempts were finishes at the rim. I'm with poison.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 02:45:13 PM »
Very well deserved- by far one of our best players this season and undisputed top underclassmen. The future is very bright for him.  Once he has help next year we will win many more games.

The Our Savior duo of Felix and Yakwe has outplayed the entire team and even their former teammate Diallo this season. That was certainly unexpected.  Let us not forget Yakwe was technically high school senior this season and still brought his game to a higher level.

Felix had one of the worst senior seasons any St.John's player has ever had. Probably the worst, actually.

Oh really what games were you watching? When I last checked that honor belongs to johnson and ron. They sucked from a production standpoint to flat out laziness on the court.
This was felix first and only year getting real burn. I dont call averaging 7 points a game and showing hustle and energy unlike most others one of the worst in history. 

Johnson played much better as the season wore on. Ron became a complete disaster. He isn't physically able to play basketball. Balamou played lousy defense and couldn't finish anything. At least Johnson improved and contributed. A lot of his points came in garbage time, but this is a garbage team, so who cares?

Balamou played last year probably more than he should have. He was absolutely given a chance, and he didn't take advantage of it. Is that supposed to be Lavin's fault, too?

No it isn't. He's not a great finisher because he had one dunk against Seton Hall.

Every single point he scored this year was going hard to the basket. Makes tough layups in traffic all the time. You want to criticize Felix, knock yourself out, he is not a good all around basketball player but finishing is the one thing he does well and why he has a BE scholarship

Wasju, felix shot 44% from the field. The vast majority of those attempts were finishes at the rim. I'm with poison.

I keep hearing Mussini can shoot yet he shot 33%. 44% then would be considered fantastic
He is 6-4 going to the basket on contested drives. He is our best layup shooter outside Yakwe. In fact if you take away his three point attempts he would be shooting 46 % which would be tied for 2nd on the team. Plus he usually misses a few baseline jumpers per game. I would not say Felix is a bad finisher and if you think he is what skill does he have?

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 03:11:37 PM »

I keep hearing Mussini can shoot yet he shot 33%. 44% then would be considered fantastic
He is 6-4 going to the basket on contested drives. He is our best layup shooter outside Yakwe. In fact if you take away his three point attempts he would be shooting 46 % which would be tied for 2nd on the team. Plus he usually misses a few baseline jumpers per game. I would not say Felix is a bad finisher and if you think he is what skill does he have?

I think he started to finish well towards the end of the year. There were many times this year (countless throughout his career) where he struggled mightily to finish.  He was always enamored with double clutching and hanging in the air. Opposed to just going up quicker and higher than anyone else and dunking it like he did on the Hall.  I'd say his best skill is obviously his athleticism. I also think he led the country in most un-called travels.

I was high on felix throughout his career, think he got somewhat of a raw deal and he always played hard. He never developed to where I thought he would but I appreciate his time at St. Johns and I wish him luck.

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 03:17:28 PM »

I think he started to finish well towards the end of the year. There were many times this year (countless throughout his career) where he struggled mightily to finish.  He was always enamored with double clutching and hanging in the air. Opposed to just going up quicker and higher than anyone else and dunking it like he did on the Hall.  I'd say his best skill is obviously his athleticism. I also think he led the country in most un-called travels.

I was high on felix throughout his career, think he got somewhat of a raw deal and he always played hard. He never developed to where I thought he would but I appreciate his time at St. Johns and I wish him luck.

He is listed at 6-4. He is not a good basketball player but clearly his best attribute is making contested layups.
Felix driving to the hoop, Yakwe dunking a rebound, Johnson shooting inside the three point line and Ron M with a couple minutes to set his feet for three were our best offensive weapons. Sadly

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 03:30:03 PM »
Hey buddy I dont need your sarcastic remarks and neither does the board for that matter. Phil did not chuck up nonsense shots time after time to take us out of possessions time after time.  I dont care if he average 30 points if his hustle is non-existent and he has a pattern of poor decisions with the ball and turnovers

Three points. First, I'm not your buddy. Second, my mastery of irony is universally admired, nearly. Third, you said Johnson's production "sucked," whereas his production was nearly identical to PG IV's, who you think doesn't. Now you say you don't care about his production, which is fine, but that's different from what you said before.

Part of production is the product that you put on the court which is hustle, work ethic, good decisions with the ball, and unselfishness. The box score does not need to be filled up to have an impact on your teammates in the game.  Phil was a good player for us that happened to show effort every game and fought through many injuries that several people do not even know about it. And yes filling up the box-score was a nice cherry on top he had but by no means is that a requirement.
Johnson had a pattern throughout the season of chucking up horrible shots and not finding open teammates. He also had turnovers that really hurt us, and looked lazy at times.  Yea he had some games he scored points but that is not reflective of productions as a whole player.  He was not a good player for us and Phil was. 
If I was a freshman on that team this year would have rather followed Felix's example and work ethic rather  than Johnson or Ron's.

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 03:37:55 PM »
Hey buddy I dont need your sarcastic remarks and neither does the board for that matter. Phil did not chuck up nonsense shots time after time to take us out of possessions time after time.  I dont care if he average 30 points if his hustle is non-existent and he has a pattern of poor decisions with the ball and turnovers

Three points. First, I'm not your buddy. Second, my mastery of irony is universally admired, nearly. Third, you said Johnson's production "sucked," whereas his production was nearly identical to PG IV's, who you think doesn't. Now you say you don't care about his production, which is fine, but that's different from what you said before.

Part of production is the product that you put on the court which is hustle, work ethic, good decisions with the ball, and unselfishness. The box score does not need to be filled up to have an impact on your teammates in the game.  Phil was a good player for us that happened to show effort every game and fought through many injuries that several people do not even know about it. And yes filling up the box-score was a nice cherry on top he had but by no means is that a requirement.
Johnson had a pattern throughout the season of chucking up horrible shots and not finding open teammates. He also had turnovers that really hurt us, and looked lazy at times.  Yea he had some games he scored points but that is not reflective of productions as a whole player.  He was not a good player for us and Phil was. 
If I was a freshman on that team this year would have rather followed Felix's example and work ethic rather  than Johnson or Ron's.

The team stunk, but Johnson was far and away our best offensive player. No one else is close. Best offensive player shoots the most

kob24

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 04:07:14 PM »
Shout out to my youngin Yakwe I told y'all you got a steal. If they work with him in the off season and see he actually has some offensive talent that needs nurturing he is gonna be a real problem

Foad

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 04:08:57 PM »
Shout out to my youngin Yakwe I told y'all you got a steal. If they work with him in the off season and see he actually has some offensive talent that needs nurturing he is gonna be a real problem

The Return of the King

kob24

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 04:09:55 PM »
What's good foad.

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 04:11:46 PM »

15 is the magic number
Gain 10-15 pounds, hit the 15 foot jumper semi consistently and  he would be a monster

Foad

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2016, 04:13:19 PM »

If the freshman followed Balamou's example we'd end up with a team of players who can't shoot, don't defend anyone and whine after every call.

kob24

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2016, 04:13:24 PM »
Yeah u right wasju that gym is gonna be key. I would love to see a consistent 15 footer keeps the defense on their toes

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 04:13:48 PM »

[/quote]

How do you think Ponds does next year in BE?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 04:14:06 PM by we are sju »

Foad

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2016, 04:14:10 PM »
What's good foad.

Not Saint John's. Kid's going to be a stud though.

kob24

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2016, 04:15:26 PM »
ROFLMAO yeah man ruff year. Matt and slice should get the right players in. It's gonna take time though.

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 04:16:37 PM »
Yeah u right wasju that gym is gonna be key. I would love to see a consistent 15 footer keeps the defense on their toes

Has a nice touch, not like he needs an overhaul. Confidence and repetition

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2016, 04:21:29 PM »

He is listed at 6-4. He is not a good basketball player but clearly his best attribute is making contested layups.
Felix driving to the hoop, Yakwe dunking a rebound, Johnson shooting inside the three point line and Ron M with a couple minutes to set his feet for three were our best offensive weapons. Sadly

Ahh just when I thought you were coming around you forget to mention CJ with his 46% shooting and ability to attack the basket.

paultzman

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2016, 04:22:00 PM »

Great to hear from you Kob!

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2016, 04:35:22 PM »

Ahh just when I thought you were coming around you forget to mention CJ with his 46% shooting and ability to attack the basket.

If you were to play the best 5 guys on this year's team regardless of position it would be Johnson, Yakwe, Sima, Jones and Felix for what that is worth.

derk

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2016, 04:37:46 PM »
How is the Bronx Job. Did you have anything to do with steering Bash 😅