Slice

• 512 replies

Poison

Re: Slice
« Reply #260 on: June 06, 2016, 07:24:00 PM »
I would like to see them add an assistant coach who has a lot of experiencing actually coaching. Mike Rice is too much of a risk, and he's instant bad press, or I'd be thrilled with him. When you're an amateur you can have a second chance and the media will go easy on you like they did with Harrison. Rice, they would eat alive. Still, a coach who teaches defense like him would be ideal. In addition to not being able to score, we also played horrendous defense. At Rutgers, they were far from a contender, but those worked and they definitely played defense.

« Reply #261 on: June 06, 2016, 07:26:37 PM »
Hire Jeff Ruland. Coach up the bigs and turn them into men

« Reply #262 on: June 06, 2016, 07:27:03 PM »
Since this decision was made and leaked in late March you have to figure their replacement has already been contacted and interviewed.

Props to Moose for taking the heat for the last two months lol.

Wrong place, wrong time for Slice. He's a NYer through and through, wish him nothing but the best moving forward.

With Mullin's connections I'm confident that we'll find the best possible replacement, and I'm excited to see who it is. There were glaring deficiencies on that bench last season, whoever the replacement is should fill those holes.

Good point on Moose dropping the discontent early.

My guess is the position will be filled from within.

Smart money says Zendon to DOB, DOB to staff position. They'd make Zendon an assistant but he can't spell assist.

He should hire a different guy from 85 every year. Whats Rob Cornegy doing these days?

I know it was a rhetorical/tongue in cheek question, but...
http://council.nyc.gov/d36/html/members/biography.shtml

« Reply #263 on: June 06, 2016, 07:35:58 PM »
No matter what happens, this is horrible. One of the best recruiters out there leaves after a year! And he is supposed to be Mullins boy for years? Typical sju, he will go somewhere and beat us out for recruits! Or does he feel SJU is a dead end job????????

« Reply #264 on: June 06, 2016, 07:44:27 PM »

Poison

« Reply #265 on: June 06, 2016, 07:51:47 PM »
No matter what happens, this is horrible. One of the best recruiters out there leaves after a year! And he is supposed to be Mullins boy for years? Typical sju, he will go somewhere and beat us out for recruits! Or does he feel SJU is a dead end job????????

He brought us Durand Johnson. That's it.  How good of a recruiter is he?

« Reply #266 on: June 06, 2016, 07:58:38 PM »
I don't see this as a big loss.

Thankful for his time here helping Mullin get his feet wet as a coach.

He's a solid recruiter but let's not make his one year stint at Kentucky along with a few decent recruits at Pitt, give the impression he's got dozens of five stars under his belt. 

I think it will be a game of musical chairs among the remaining staff...  Saves some $.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 08:00:43 PM by RedStormNC »

Johnny23

« Reply #267 on: June 06, 2016, 08:44:35 PM »
If Slice is truly gone, this is a perfect time for Mullin to bring in an experienced X's and O's coach. Look at Xavier, Wichita St, and other programs that overachieve every year and pay that guy good money. St. Jean is not that guy yet, he needs more experience. I suspect Mullin realizes he needs a savvy bench coach to get the most out of this talent influx. This is a golden oppty to do that.

Foad

« Reply #268 on: June 06, 2016, 08:49:57 PM »
Since this decision was made and leaked in late March you have to figure their replacement has already been contacted and interviewed.

Wrong place, wrong time for Slice. He's a NYer through and through, wish him nothing but the best moving forward.

With Mullin's connections I'm confident that we'll find the best possible replacement, and I'm excited to see who it is. There were glaring deficiencies on that bench last season, whoever the replacement is should fill those holes.

Smart money says Zendon to DOB, DOB to staff position. They'd make Zendon an assistant but he can't spell assist.

He should hire a different guy from 85 every year. Whats Rob Cornegy doing these days?

Making a difference in his community

https://twitter.com/RobertCornegyJr

redslope

« Reply #269 on: June 06, 2016, 10:30:33 PM »

. Rob is a NYC Councilman

Poison

« Reply #270 on: June 06, 2016, 10:39:24 PM »

He's a solid recruiter but let's not make his one year stint at Kentucky along with a few decent recruits at Pitt, give the impression he's got dozens of five stars under his belt. 

I think it will be a game of musical chairs among the remaining staff...  Saves some $.

The guy quit before he accomplished anything. The problem now is that the current staff is earning a rep for not sticking by their decisions. First with Amar, and now with Barry. What the hell did he come here for anyway if he didn't have the patience to stick it out? Problem isn't that he's leaving. It's that they brought him here in the first place.

« Reply #271 on: June 06, 2016, 11:34:26 PM »

The guy quit before he accomplished anything. The problem now is that the current staff is earning a rep for not sticking by their decisions. First with Amar, and now with Barry. What the hell did he come here for anyway if he didn't have the patience to stick it out? Problem isn't that he's leaving. It's that they brought him here in the first place.
It happened because WE ARE ST. JOHN'S! A cluster F waiting to happen.

Marillac

« Reply #272 on: June 07, 2016, 02:49:04 AM »
Personally here is my list to replace Slice
1. Walter Berry
2. Katie Morgan
3. Gene Hackman
4. Peter Dinklage
5. WASJU

He drinks and he knows things.

Foad

« Reply #273 on: June 07, 2016, 07:46:27 AM »
The problem now is that the current staff is earning a rep for not sticking by their decisions. First with Amar, and now with Barry.

Yeah, they're discussing it on subway cars and at water coolers across the big apple. Earning a rep, you're a hoot.

derk

« Reply #274 on: June 07, 2016, 09:34:13 AM »

Really puzzling. This can't be good for his reputation as a stick to it kind of guy. Apparently he's not HC material and he walked out on his good friend who he left Kentucky for ? Where does he achieve happiness and who can trust him to not run out on his next program. This presumes that it was he who left rather then the other way around. Does anyone really know ?

« Reply #275 on: June 07, 2016, 09:47:00 AM »
That is why I respect Duke and the Cuse in one way when it comes regarding recruiting.

They always have at least one former player as an assistant coach and teach him the ropes of recruiting.

If you played for the program you will be more loyal to the school I wish SJU would do that.

Wods317

« Reply #276 on: June 07, 2016, 09:48:13 AM »
Very odd. He left Kentucky after a year and then leaves here after a year, that's commitment huh. I don't know what happened behind the scenes but if he wasn't 100% committed to this program then I am happy to bring in someone who will be. I don't know slice but he has a reputation as a guy who is just a hired gun. Hopefully our next assistant will be in for the long haul of this rebuild.

« Reply #277 on: June 07, 2016, 10:20:11 AM »
Another week...another drama.  This program bites hard.  It'll bite harder if they promote St Jean to a higher level.  Bring in a real X and O guy.  The kid has done nothing to get rewarded with a promotion.

« Reply #278 on: June 07, 2016, 10:20:45 AM »

[/quote]
Personally here is my list to replace Slice
1. Walter Berry
2. Katie Morgan
3. Gene Hackman
4. Peter Dinklage
5. WASJU

He drinks and he knows things.

He goes to my number one choice if he dresses and acts like Tyrion Lannister
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 10:21:15 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #279 on: June 07, 2016, 10:35:05 AM »
Another week...another drama.  This program bites hard.  It'll bite harder if they promote St Jean to a higher level.  Bring in a real X and O guy.  The kid has done nothing to get rewarded with a promotion.

This is the most stable the program has been in years.  Assistant coaches come and go .  Slice is a notable assistant, and a big loss given local relationships, but it still falls into routine goings-on for a D1 basketball program.  Have a little perspective