Slice

• 512 replies

Marillac

Re: Slice
« Reply #321 on: June 08, 2016, 01:53:28 AM »
Why would Richmond want be the third assistant? He's got a sweet gig as the special assistant.

Poison

« Reply #322 on: June 08, 2016, 07:12:15 AM »
From Zach B

I've been told Barry Rohrssen wasn't happy with his role at St. John's. Relationship between him and Chris Mullin has soured. #sjubb

Zach B has been way off on this thing from the start and has been a complete dick about it, dismissing rumors on twitter and basically calling anybody that asked him about it dumb. Just now when somebody asked why he didn't report that Slice was unhappy earlier he said "some things aren't meant to be reported" and will act like he's known from the start. He's an asshat, always has been.

Zach wants to play nice with Mullin. Maybe he's known, but maybe he also knows that spreading the news hurts the program. In mid June, announcing it when school is out and everyone in deep into baseball and the NBA finals makes it less of a story. People won't notice as much.

It's one thing to hold off reporting something that the staff doesn't want you to report, but he was a dick about it from the start basically calling the rumors nonsense etc. Now he's gonna act like he's know that this has been inevitable for a couple months

I can tell you with certainty Zach knew what was brewing, but exercised discretion in not reporting it as things were in a holding pattern so to speak.  Not saying he was right or wrong, but am clarifying that he was aware of the problems for sure.

I have no problem with him not reporting it but I do have a problem with him dismissing them as false for two whole months especially if he was aware this was brewing. That's crossing the line from being a journalist to nothing more than a shill for the current staff, but it's been clear he's not interested in being a true journalist for years now.

Anyway, if what is being reported is true and Slice is unhappy with his role, where is he going to go where he would have a greater role than here? What other major program is going to give him a greater role in both recruiting and in-game strategy?

It's about time someone called the NY Post's journalistic integrity into question.

« Reply #323 on: June 08, 2016, 07:53:39 AM »
This is all old news and was posted months ago.

« Reply #324 on: June 08, 2016, 08:19:58 AM »
From Zach B

I've been told Barry Rohrssen wasn't happy with his role at St. John's. Relationship between him and Chris Mullin has soured. #sjubb

Soured and sabotaged.

« Reply #325 on: June 08, 2016, 08:58:56 AM »
Why would Richmond want be the third assistant? He's got a sweet gig as the special assistant.

Could justify paying him more as associate head coach.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #326 on: June 08, 2016, 09:13:33 AM »
If Richmond puts in the same work ethic as he did as player he will become a great assistant coach.

derk

« Reply #327 on: June 08, 2016, 09:19:10 AM »
http://nypost.com/2016/06/08/st-johns-working-on-buyout-with-recruiting-maestro/

It's not so much that he's leaving as it is the reported discord between him and his boss and best friend. And what it  says about CM and his ability to run the program. To have this happen after 1 year is another stain on the program. And to have 1 less guy actively recruiting for another month is another step backward.

Johnny23

« Reply #328 on: June 08, 2016, 09:24:14 AM »
Richmond has proven nothing as a coach and now some posters think he's worthy of being an associate HC? Give me some of what you're smoking.

Johnny23

« Reply #329 on: June 08, 2016, 09:25:25 AM »
If Richmond puts in the same work ethic as he did as player he will become a great assistant coach.

If only it were that easy. Many great, hard working players couldn't coach worth a lick.

pmg911

« Reply #330 on: June 08, 2016, 09:32:42 AM »
http://nypost.com/2016/06/08/st-johns-working-on-buyout-with-recruiting-maestro/

It's not so much that he's leaving as it is the reported discord between him and his boss and best friend. And what it  says about CM and his ability to run the program. To have this happen after 1 year is another stain on the program. And to have 1 less guy actively recruiting for another month is another step backward.

To be clear about something..

Slice is not and never has been Chris "best friend"

Wods317

« Reply #331 on: June 08, 2016, 09:51:11 AM »

To be clear about something..

Slice is not and never has been Chris "best friend"

Even if they were close friends would that really shock you. I would imagine mostly everyone could think of some friends they would not be able to able work with on a daily basis. Chris probably had a different view of what slice would bring then slice did and they probably butt heads over it and it became a case where Chris thought he wasn't helping the program and slice wasn't happy with his role. Probably best for all parties to move on as they are doing

« Reply #332 on: June 08, 2016, 09:55:12 AM »
Most of this board acted like Phil Jackson just agreed to coach us when Barry signed on. Now, it's ehh, it happens?

Name the last time an assistant coach was critical to a head coach's success. Except Mike Dunlap obviously.

ST Jean seems to be doing a lot of heavy lifting here, no?

Tha Kid

« Reply #333 on: June 08, 2016, 09:58:53 AM »
Most of this board acted like Phil Jackson just agreed to coach us when Barry signed on. Now, it's ehh, it happens?

Name the last time an assistant coach was critical to a head coach's success. Except Mike Dunlap obviously.

Agreed --- I have a feeling Mullin is confident they have enough basketball X and O minds between him and St. Jean.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #334 on: June 08, 2016, 09:59:49 AM »
From Zach B

Zach B has been way off on this thing from the start and has been a complete dick about it, dismissing rumors on twitter and basically calling anybody that asked him about it dumb. Just now when somebody asked why he didn't report that Slice was unhappy earlier he said "some things aren't meant to be reported" and will act like he's known from the start. He's an asshat, always has been.

Zach wants to play nice with Mullin. Maybe he's known, but maybe he also knows that spreading the news hurts the program. In mid June, announcing it when school is out and everyone in deep into baseball and the NBA finals makes it less of a story. People won't notice as much.

It's one thing to hold off reporting something that the staff doesn't want you to report, but he was a dick about it from the start basically calling the rumors nonsense etc. Now he's gonna act like he's know that this has been inevitable for a couple months

I can tell you with certainty Zach knew what was brewing, but exercised discretion in not reporting it as things were in a holding pattern so to speak.  Not saying he was right or wrong, but am clarifying that he was aware of the problems for sure.
then he shouldn't have called people out on the internet if that's what he did. I'm fine with him not revealing what he knows but he shouldn't cop an attitude with people asking about the same rumor that they heard. just say you haven't heard anything or don't answer the people

Tha Kid

« Reply #335 on: June 08, 2016, 10:02:51 AM »
Slice came in as associate head coach to be the stability in an otherwise VERY inexperienced staff across the board.

Mullin obviously felt St. Jean was best X and O assistant, Matt became lead recruiter (and he prob started deferring to Matt some on signing guys when perhaps, just conjecture, Slice wanted schollies left open for guys he was playing the long game on), and Mitch was confidant.  Slice was second fiddle to all, and it's probably not what he nor Chris envisioned when they joined forces.  Probably best to move on if Mullin did not feel Slice was his best asset in any aspect of the assistants' roles, and Slice didnt feel appreciated.

In the house of red and white, the left handed god's decisions were resulting in Slice becoming no one.  But an assistant is someone.

Trust in Mullin.  I'm bummed we lose Slice, but of everyone he's the basketball genius, I'll defer to him and assume he knows what's best without any evidence to suggest he doesnt.
"I drink and I know things"

paultzman

« Reply #336 on: June 08, 2016, 10:10:01 AM »
From Zach B

then he shouldn't have called people out on the internet if that's what he did. I'm fine with him not revealing what he knows but he shouldn't cop an attitude with people asking about the same rumor that they heard. just say you haven't heard anything or don't answer the people

Fair point

« Reply #337 on: June 08, 2016, 10:10:13 AM »
From Zach B

He has some really poor journalistic practices.

Foad

« Reply #338 on: June 08, 2016, 10:10:29 AM »

What success has Mullin had as a head coach. None. So St Jean hasn't contributed to anything. And anyway, no: "Whatever we do, I tell him what I want written up, and he writes it up,” Mullin said. So according to Mullin GSJ is a mere scrivener.

For someone who purportedly loves Chris Mullin you spend a lot of time shitting on him. Just saying.

« Reply #339 on: June 08, 2016, 10:52:14 AM »
No inside knowledge, but why does it seem that people are blaming Mullin, Matt A and seemingly everyone else (other than Slice) for this development. 

Is Mullin - who forgot more basketball than this board knows collectively -- supposed to defer more to Slice on in-game coaching if he believes that St. Jean is a superior basketball mind?

Is Mullin supposed to defer entirely to Slice's view on certain kids if Matt A is landing excellent prospects and Mullin thinks those kids are better?

Is Matt A not supposed to land good recruits, because he is saving a slot for Slice to try and bring in an Alkins, Maker or Ferguson?

Not judging the situation, and I wish Slice were staying for sure.  But doesn't seem from an outsiders perspective that anyone is to "blame".  Things shook out a certain way and it is time to move on.