Slice

• 512 replies
Re: Slice
« Reply #480 on: June 16, 2016, 02:35:47 PM »
Is Slice really a better recruiter than Norm Roberts.

He didn't have any success at Manhattan and only recruited well for two excellent coaches Cal and Dixon.

Roberts is killing it in Kansas in being the lead recruiter and he loved being at SJU.

Foad

« Reply #481 on: June 16, 2016, 03:22:26 PM »

He didn't have any success at Manhattan and only recruited well for two excellent coaches Cal and Dixon.

Roberts is killing it in Kansas in being the lead recruiter and he loved being at SJU.

I'd love to have Norm recruiting. He has a great eye for talent. Plus it'd give everyone apoplexy.

« Reply #482 on: June 16, 2016, 03:31:52 PM »
He also is a great person

« Reply #483 on: June 16, 2016, 04:36:53 PM »
He also is a great person

So was Gandhi. Gandhi was probably a better basketball coach though.

« Reply #484 on: June 16, 2016, 04:42:12 PM »

I'd love to have Norm recruiting. He has a great eye for talent. Plus it'd give everyone apoplexy.

If Mullin handed over the dry board to Norm he would just use it to play Tic Tac Toe or Hangman

« Reply #485 on: June 16, 2016, 04:50:52 PM »
Yeah what would the great Slice do he was real successful at Manhattan

What outstanding recruit did he ever bring to Manhattan.

Why is so many people on this board so in love with him.

« Reply #486 on: June 16, 2016, 04:55:08 PM »
Yeah what would the great Slice do he was real successful at Manhattan

What outstanding recruit did he ever bring to Manhattan.

Why is so many people on this board so in love with him.

If he graduated from St John's you would be slobbering all over him

Foad

« Reply #487 on: June 16, 2016, 05:06:05 PM »
So was Gandhi. Gandhi was probably a better basketball coach though.

How many elite eights has Gandhi been to? Because Norm's been to like half a dozen

« Reply #488 on: June 16, 2016, 06:43:27 PM »
why are you gushing over him

Name one outstanding recruit he brought over to any team

You dam right I am proud of SJU grad Matt like you would be proud of you Iona

Poison

« Reply #489 on: June 16, 2016, 07:15:35 PM »

I don't think anyone is debating that Slice has landed outstanding recruits. He just didn't get any for our team.

« Reply #490 on: June 16, 2016, 07:19:59 PM »

Gushing? You keep bringing him up, I havent spoken of that situation in some time.

I'm just hoping we get over 12 wins with Matts rectuits

Poison

« Reply #491 on: June 16, 2016, 07:20:51 PM »

That's a good one. Norm has a great eye for talent? If that's true why is it that he couldn't find a better point guard than Eugene Lawrence for 4 years? Norm went after top ranked local kids that just didn't want to play for him, or play here.

In his 6 years here, he recruited less talent to St.John's than Tom Pecora did to Hofstra.

Foad

« Reply #492 on: June 16, 2016, 07:44:18 PM »
That's a good one. Norm has a great eye for talent? If that's true why is it that he couldn't find a better point guard than Eugene Lawrence for 4 years? Norm went after top ranked local kids that just didn't want to play for him, or play here.

In his 6 years here, he recruited less talent to St.John's than Tom Pecora did to Hofstra.

A, Norm as a recruiter has been to how many sweet sixteens, like ten? Something like that. B, Norm recruited Lavin's NCAA tournament team, plus a bunch of guys you thought sucked, liked Ty Edmudson who according to you sucked until he didn't, and Quincy Roberts who according to you sucked until he didn't, and Cedric Jackson, who according to you sucked until he didn't. Not to mention your two favorite players Phil "he'll average ten and ten" Waite and "I Like " Omari ""bringing it up" Lawrence.

Thus are you shown to be a nice person. Not that it was hard.  Kind of like showing that Oprah's fat.

Poison

« Reply #493 on: June 17, 2016, 12:51:03 AM »

A, Norm as a recruiter has been to how many sweet sixteens, like ten? Something like that. B, Norm recruited Lavin's NCAA tournament team, plus a bunch of guys you thought sucked, liked Ty Edmudson who according to you sucked until he didn't, and Quincy Roberts who according to you sucked until he didn't, and Cedric Jackson, who according to you sucked until he didn't. Not to mention your two favorite players Phil "he'll average ten and ten" Waite and "I Like " Omari ""bringing it up" Lawrence.

Thus are you shown to be a nice person. Not that it was hard.  Kind of like showing that Oprah's fat.

Did Quincy Roberts, Dwight Hardy and DJ Kennedy get better because Norm always knew there was something special about them, or was it because quite often players grow up and simply get better just because they've grown up?

Try picking a side, and sticking to it.

« Reply #494 on: June 17, 2016, 08:03:53 AM »
How come nobody answer the question how good of a coach Slice was at Manhattan and how did he recruit there.

Fran did alright there in recruiting and coaching
Norm brought more impact recruits to Kansas than Slice has ever did anywhere

« Reply #495 on: June 17, 2016, 08:25:30 AM »
How come nobody answer the question how good of a coach Slice was at Manhattan and how did he recruit there.

Slice recruited good guys at Manhattan just couldn't coach 'em up. His players won after he left.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Foad

« Reply #496 on: June 17, 2016, 08:44:27 AM »
Did Quincy Roberts, Dwight Hardy and DJ Kennedy get better because Norm always knew there was something special about them, or was it because quite often players grow up and simply get better just because they've grown up?

So you believe that the under the radar guys Norm identified merely randomly got better. Odd how few of Lavin's players randomly just got better, or Jarvis's. Too bad Mo Diakite and Abe Vigoda Keita and Heath Orvis didn't randomly get better, or Jamal Branch or Marco Borgault or Felix Balamou, we sure could used some of those prize recruits to grow  up and randomly become NBA players. No, I think your's a stupid theory. I mean, they did grow up and get better, but they had to have somewhere to get better from and pretty clearly Norm saw it. That's why he's been recruiting at the highest levels of college basketball for years, for some of the successful coaches and programs in college basketball. Because he has a keen eye for talent. That and his indefatigable work ethic obviously, and his personal integrity, and don't get me started on his warmth and charm, I'll start gushing like a school girl.

Poison

« Reply #497 on: June 17, 2016, 09:09:00 AM »

So you believe that the under the radar guys Norm identified merely randomly got better. Odd how few of Lavin's players randomly just got better, or Jarvis's. Too bad Mo Diakite and Abe Vigoda Keita and Heath Orvis didn't randomly get better, or Jamal Branch or Marco Borgault or Felix Balamou, we sure could used some of those prize recruits to grow  up and randomly become NBA players. No, I think your's a stupid theory. I mean, they did grow up and get better, but they had to have somewhere to get better from and pretty clearly Norm saw it. That's why he's been recruiting at the highest levels of college basketball for years, for some of the successful coaches and programs in college basketball. Because he has a keen eye for talent. That and his indefatigable work ethic obviously, and his personal integrity, and don't get me started on his warmth and charm, I'll start gushing like a school girl.

If Norm had such a keen eye for talent why he did he start Eugene Lawrence at the point instead of IDK anyone else? He was such a bad evaluator of talent he couldn't recognize it on his own team. Why did he bury Brownlee and Hardy on the bench? The answer is that he did it because he didn't know what he had. He recognized nothing, and simply added as many players as he could because he saw it as an opportunity to save his job. It didn't, because even with 10 upperclassmen, he still had no idea who could play, and who couldn't. He had no eye for talent because he had no eye at all. He was too stupid to recognize anything.

He was a shit recruiter compared to both Jarvis and Lavin.

He was also a shit person, blaming everyone and everything else for his failures. He was the worst thing that ever happened to St.John's basketball next to Harrington. But please, by all means kiss his feet for the great job he did finding the true sleepers out there.

Poison

« Reply #498 on: June 17, 2016, 09:10:36 AM »

Fran did more than alright at Manhattan. They were a BE level when he coached there. They beat the snot out of Oklahoma.

Foad

« Reply #499 on: June 17, 2016, 09:50:46 AM »

If Norm had such a keen eye for talent why he did he start Eugene Lawrence at the point instead of IDK anyone else? He was such a bad evaluator of talent he couldn't recognize it on his own team. Why did he bury Brownlee and Hardy on the bench? The answer is that he did it because he didn't know what he had. He recognized nothing, and simply added as many players as he could because he saw it as an opportunity to save his job. It didn't, because even with 10 upperclassmen, he still had no idea who could play, and who couldn't. He had no eye for talent because he had no eye at all. He was too stupid to recognize anything.

He was a shit recruiter compared to both Jarvis and Lavin.

He was also a shit person, blaming everyone and everything else for his failures. He was the worst thing that ever happened to St.John's basketball next to Harrington. But please, by all means kiss his feet for the great job he did finding the true sleepers out there.

Yes that's fascinating Gene Lawrence and Father Harringzzzzzzzzzzz. Sorry, I dozed off there for a minute.

Not anything of anything you said has anything to do with Norm's ability to recognize talent and potential in a high school basketball player. Not one single solitary word of it. Whereas his accomplishments at the highest levels of the basketball world speak for themselves. Thus does your essay fail. As for your rehash of midseason grievances from 2005: Zzzzzzz. As for Mike Jarvis, he's A the worst coach in SJU history bar none and not just because he bequeathed the university Norm and B, Zzzzzzzzzzz. And as for Lavin, he's a buffoon who managed to gull the rubes, and by rubes I mean you and your ilk, and by your ilk I mean there's one of you born every minute.