Defense????

• 2 replies

hnk

Defense????
« on: March 12, 2016, 11:32:09 AM »
The last three games we gave up 291 points!!!!!! Points off turnovers....runouts.....closeouts. Help!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 11:42:37 AM by hnk »

Foad

Re: Defense????
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 05:41:15 PM »
The last three games we gave up 291 points!!!!!! Points off turnovers....runouts.....closeouts. Help!!!!!!

I have nothing in particular to say except I thought it sad that no one responded to your well thought out post which was festooned with decorated with exclamation marks and ellipses.

I think in general you will see higher scores under Mullin than under past SJU coaches. Higher scores are not necessarily a reflection of a neglect of defense as it is an offensive mindset that relates to Mullin's NBA background. That is, quicker shots on offense result in more shots for the other team. This is not necessarily a bad thing as the more defensive mindset past SJU coaches have adhered to have resulted in a record of futility virtually unmatched in Division One history. And even if it doesn't work the games will be much more fun to watch. Saint John's fans have long bemoaned the tedious walk the ball up the court pass the ball around the weave offensive sets we've run in the past. Now they are bemoaning the opposite. That is because Saint John's fans like bemoaning. I am not suggesting that defense is unimportant or will be neglected. I think though that you will see a different sort of defense than the grind it out man to man hold them under 60 stuff that has gone on in the past. I also think it unrealistic to project anything from the defensive escapades of a team comprised of freshmen who never had to ply defense and stiffs likes Ron Mvouika and Felix Balamou, who couldn't cover a pillar even if they wanted to, which they didn't.

Re: Defense????
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 06:25:49 PM »
I make sure to include bemoaning in the skills and attributes section in my resume.