Roster 16/17

• 20 replies

Poison

Roster 16/17
« on: March 17, 2016, 12:21:00 PM »
I would like a beefy big man, either freshman or grad student, whichever is better, and an experienced lead guard that can start early on, and help the kids get acclimated to D1 ball, and to the BE. It doesn't have to be a stars, but solid role players who can handle a role and lead the team.

Even with Jones and Alibegivic returning as the only upperclassmen, I think leadership will be sorely needed even if Lovett, Ponds and Ahmed are all strong players.

MCNPA

Re: Roster 16/17
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 01:09:37 PM »
I would like a beefy big man, either freshman or grad student, whichever is better, and an experienced lead guard that can start early on, and help the kids get acclimated to D1 ball, and to the BE. It doesn't have to be a stars, but solid role players who can handle a role and lead the team.

Even with Jones and Alibegivic returning as the only upperclassmen, I think leadership will be sorely needed even if Lovett, Ponds and Ahmed are all strong players.

I don't think we are getting any more lead guards.  Our insurance for Lovett are Ponds, Ellison and Mussini.  Mullin has already said what a high level player Lovett is, so he believes in him. I wouldn't mind an experienced and successful grad player of any type whether guard or big guy, but if we lose CJ, I'd prefer a post scorer. 

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 01:24:41 PM »
"A mountain masquerading as a man" Someone like Xavier's third big O'mara or Gtowns Hayes.  Force defenses to at least pay attention to an interior threat, rebound, set screens, don't get moved on the block.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 01:25:32 PM »

I don't think we are getting any more lead guards.  Our insurance for Lovett are Ponds, Ellison and Mussini.  Mullin has already said what a high level player Lovett is, so he believes in him. I wouldn't mind an experienced and successful grad player of any type whether guard or big guy, but if we lose CJ, I'd prefer a post scorer. 

I personally don't like the idea of pushing Christian Jones out the door. He ended the season playing ball like Anthony Glover. He deserves to finish out his career here. However, there should be a clear understand of what he needs to work on, and a plan to get him there by next year. It's unfortunate for him that he's so inexperienced, but the guy needs needs to learn the game better. His offensive skill is just fine. He needs to learn how to recognize what the opposing team is doing on offense. It seemed like he never knew what was coming. In fairness, a lot them did;t, but most of them were freshman. This is Jones's 4th year here.

In terms of a guard, again, they are all kids. I don't think it's realistic to expect Mussini or Ellison to run the offense at all. We just lived through that. That can't happen again. Ellison should be used when we're up by 40 on Bryant at Carnesecca, and then maybe occasionally again a senior. Ponds is a freshman. That's a lot of pressure on him if anything should go wrong with Lovett. It's pressure on him regardless. Every other BE team will have senior guards. I think we need one. One who understands how physical the BE game is. Give me a 23 year old guard who can handle the ball and get in the lane, and pass, and I'm happy.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 01:26:05 PM »
"A mountain masquerading as a man" Someone like Xavier's third big O'mara or Gtowns Hayes.  Force defenses to at least pay attention to an interior threat, rebound, set screens, don't get moved on the block.

Yes, also, I'd like to find the next Ty Grant.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:29:26 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 01:30:19 PM »
I wonder, is there a list posted anywhere of players who could be available grad transfers?

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 01:35:39 PM »

I personally don't like the idea of pushing Christian Jones out the door.

Hopefully, if it happens, it is what CJ wanted to do
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 02:56:21 PM »
I would like someone who knows how to play basketball.

MCNPA

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 06:07:43 PM »

I personally don't like the idea of pushing Christian Jones out the door. He ended the season playing ball like Anthony Glover. He deserves to finish out his career here. However, there should be a clear understand of what he needs to work on, and a plan to get him there by next year. It's unfortunate for him that he's so inexperienced, but the guy needs needs to learn the game better. His offensive skill is just fine. He needs to learn how to recognize what the opposing team is doing on offense. It seemed like he never knew what was coming. In fairness, a lot them did;t, but most of them were freshman. This is Jones's 4th year here.

In terms of a guard, again, they are all kids. I don't think it's realistic to expect Mussini or Ellison to run the offense at all. We just lived through that. That can't happen again. Ellison should be used when we're up by 40 on Bryant at Carnesecca, and then maybe occasionally again a senior. Ponds is a freshman. That's a lot of pressure on him if anything should go wrong with Lovett. It's pressure on him regardless. Every other BE team will have senior guards. I think we need one. One who understands how physical the BE game is. Give me a 23 year old guard who can handle the ball and get in the lane, and pass, and I'm happy.

I don't think we'd push him anywhere.  All indications are that it would be voluntary type thing.

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 06:30:21 PM »
I would like a beefy big man, either freshman or grad student, whichever is better

Must have had a few drinks today because you confused your Grinder and Match.com accounts with JohnnyJungle.

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 06:34:24 PM »
I would like a beefy big man, either freshman or grad student, whichever is better

Must have had a few drinks today because you confused your Grinder and Match.com accounts with JohnnyJungle.

I'm looking for someone who can make a layup. And enjoys long walks on the beach

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 06:38:30 PM »

I'm looking for someone who can make a layup. And enjoys long walks on the beach
Youse guys are too funny.

Poison

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 06:39:49 PM »

LOL, I'm just getting started actually.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 06:40:29 PM »

LOL. Board is funny today.

cjfish

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 09:41:38 PM »
look at the armed forces teams and find a mean, huge 28 year old, ala John thompson in the 80s

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 11:43:25 PM »
Not sure about our roster for next season yet, and a piece or two will probably still be added. But, having just watched some incredible finishes to the Sweet 16 play in games, and some incredible shots by great players on well coached teams, it's abundantly clear that we are very far away from being able to play on that level yet.

paultzman

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 11:58:07 PM »
Not sure about our roster for next season yet, and a piece or two will probably still be added. But, having just watched some incredible finishes to the Sweet 16 play in games, and some incredible shots by great players on well coached teams, it's abundantly clear that we are very far away from being able to play on that level yet.

+1

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2016, 12:25:35 AM »

+1
+2

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2016, 12:00:18 PM »
With LoVett and Ponds added, we should be much improved at point guard, which should cut down our turnovers significantly.  Our defense, especially getting out on 3 point shooters, will almost have to be better, if for no other reason than it couldn't possibly be any worse.  But where will the points come from on next year's team?

Who will be the dependable shotmakers. so necessary if Mullin's going to continue with his high possession, run and gun, NBA style offense?

goredmen

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2016, 12:24:28 PM »
With LoVett and Ponds added, we should be much improved at point guard, which should cut down our turnovers significantly.  Our defense, especially getting out on 3 point shooters, will almost have to be better, if for no other reason than it couldn't possibly be any worse.  But where will the points come from on next year's team?

Who will be the dependable shotmakers. so necessary if Mullin's going to continue with his high possession, run and gun, NBA style offense?

Ahmed is a scorer and with a true point guard that can break down a defense and pass like Lovett running the show there should be more flow to the offense which should bring more open looks for the shooters and layups/dunks for the bigs. Without a true PG this past season there were very few open looks and we had to work very hard for every basket