Which program would you pick?

• 20 replies

Poison

Which program would you pick?
« on: March 28, 2016, 09:14:59 AM »
Interesting question. As my SU friends point out, if it wasn't for Elijah Ingram videotaping the incident in Pittsburgh, we'd be finished right now.

Poison

Re: Which program would you pick?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 09:39:11 AM »
The point of this thread is to point out that we are actually #4 (not listed) we cheat and we lose anyway. And if we come down on SU for responding like this to their sanctions, we're hypocrites.

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 10:37:43 AM »
Even when St Johns cheated, they were horrible at it.

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 10:55:15 AM »
You can go to prison for stealing $1 Billion or you can go to prison for robbing a candy store.  We choose the latter, while others actually get away with the bigger heist.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 11:09:40 AM »
You can go to prison for stealing $1 Billion or you can go to prison for robbing a candy store.  We choose the latter, while others actually get away with the bigger heist.

Well said. It's really maddening. Syracuse is laughing their asses off.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 11:10:05 AM by Poison »

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 11:54:42 AM »
North Carolina may be the worst of all time and they get a pass, even on this thread.

pmg911

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 12:09:20 PM »
North Carolina may be the worst of all time and they get a pass, even on this thread.

I would go with Kentucky as worst of all time....   they got nailed back in the 80's and God knows what is going on their now...

pmg911

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 12:10:41 PM »
Interesting question. As my SU friends point out, if it wasn't for Elijah Ingram videotaping the incident in Pittsburgh, we'd be finished right now.

If it were not for Fr. Harrington firing Jarvis during the year, Pitt incident never happens...

We could play "what if" all day long, none of it matters today...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 12:10:52 PM by pmg911 »

Poison

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 12:24:37 PM »

If it were not for Fr. Harrington firing Jarvis during the year, Pitt incident never happens...

I completely agree. Be warned, when I've suggested the exact same thing people got very upset. He was fired on Christmas Day, too.
But, I do think that it should be noted that no other player has made as large of an impact on STJ BB as Elijah Ingram since Chris Mullin himself.   
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 12:27:10 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 12:28:10 PM »

Is it certain that they will get a pass? IDK how involved the basketball program was compared to the football program. Do you?

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 12:53:11 PM »
lifting this from johnnyfan's post on redmen.com, I'd say the basketball program was involved... for decades.

McCants told "Outside the Lines" that he could have been academically ineligible to play during the championship season had he not been provided the assistance. Further, he said head basketball coach Roy Williams knew about the "paper class" system at UNC. The so-called paper classes didn't require students to go to class; rather, students were required to submit only one term paper to receive a grade.

derk

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 01:29:12 PM »
Even when St Johns cheated, they were horrible at it.

One of our versions of cheating was to pay a guy who stunk. We couldn't even pick the right guy to pay off.

Poison

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 01:33:35 PM »
lifting this from johnnyfan's post on redmen.com, I'd say the basketball program was involved... for decades.

McCants told "Outside the Lines" that he could have been academically ineligible to play during the championship season had he not been provided the assistance. Further, he said head basketball coach Roy Williams knew about the "paper class" system at UNC. The so-called paper classes didn't require students to go to class; rather, students were required to submit only one term paper to receive a grade.

That's absurd. Why haven't they been dealt with by the NCAA? At least SU paid the price.

pmg911

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 02:13:48 PM »

I completely agree. Be warned, when I've suggested the exact same thing people got very upset. He was fired on Christmas Day, too.
But, I do think that it should be noted that no other player has made as large of an impact on STJ BB as Elijah Ingram since Chris Mullin himself.   

You really looks at the world through F'd up lense...

Enjoy the Final Four..

Tha Kid

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 02:19:49 PM »

Enjoy the Final Four..

Our resident Syracuse fan certainly will, I am sure....at least until UNC demolishes them.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 03:17:09 PM »

Enjoy the Final Four..

Our resident Syracuse fan certainly will, I am sure....at least until UNC demolishes them.

And our resident dookie is rooting for it??
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 04:28:31 PM »

It was worse then that really, newsman.  Not only were athletes taking as many as nine paper classes each, it was the so called counselors who were writing them.  That's an even more serious issue.

redslope

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 07:30:04 PM »

That's absurd. Why haven't they been dealt with by the NCAA? At least SU paid the price.

SU "paid" the price when the had a terrible team and knew they wouldn't make post season so they self penalized and said they would ban themselves when going nowhere.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 07:30:37 PM by redslope »

Poison

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 02:28:35 PM »

SU "paid" the price when the had a terrible team and knew they wouldn't make post season so they self penalized and said they would ban themselves when going nowhere.

Isn't that exactly what we did in 2004? It was the right move for St.John's, and it was the right move for SU. I don't think Boeheim knew he had a terrible team last year. We thought he had a terrible team this year. People are mad because this should be a time where their program is suffering because they cheated. Instead, Boeheim returns from his 9 game suspension and SU turns into a different team.

I don't think SU is a program that we need to really worry about going forward. STJ landed Yakwe and Ponds. These are guys SU wanted. They aren't going into our backyard and stealing our recruits like they have in the past, and they're not "owning" the Garden like they used to, because they don't play in our conference anymore. Once Boeheim finally retires, it's going to be hard to convince kids to trust an unproven coach who looks like he might actually be blind.

Poison

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 02:31:03 PM »

Enjoy the Final Four..

Jesus, a little objectivity and people get upset. Sorry to have offended you. I'm kidding. No I'm not.