Welcome to St John’s Quincy

• 14 replies
« on: April 28, 2008, 02:42:13 PM »

You are joining a young team ready to take off and recapture the greatest city for basketball.

Looking forward to watching you drain 3 pointers at the Garden.

For people who have nothing positive to say please do not add or respond to this thread.

Re: Welcome to St John’s Quincy
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 04:11:12 PM »
this team sucks.  maybe quincy will make it more watchable...but eleven wins with maybe the same next season isn't recapturing the city by any stretch of the imagination.  thanks for trying, scotch.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
this team sucks.  maybe quincy will make it more watchable...but eleven wins with maybe the same next season isn't recapturing the city by any stretch of the imagination.  thanks for trying, scotch.

WOW. I did not see that one coming. Sorry to disappoint you, but I am not scotch. Just trying to turn the tide. This thread is about Quincy, not me showing evidence that I am not scotch.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 04:38:19 PM »

does there need to be a comment on every thread... ::)
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 05:02:31 PM »
Does anyone know about his stats from his SR year, his Highlights looks great , he is welcomed
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 05:04:13 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Thomas Olik

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 05:07:21 PM »
I'm just really happy that we have a commitment at all.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 05:21:59 PM »

I think it's possible the team can be better than last year, but that is only because Burrell, Boothe, Horne and Kennedy are all a year older. All 4 need step to up and show that they are ready to play smart consistant SJU basketball.

How could Norm Roberts possibly look any worse? We lost 19 games. Won 11. And most of the wins were cup cakes.
Not even a decent w all season. We've never been that bad.

We need Roberts to be a scorer who can put the ball on the floor and create his own shot. Just a scorer.
A Bootsy Thornton. A guy who can score in many different ways.

Oh yea, and we need a point guard that can create his own shot. The video that I saw of Edmonson makes me think that he is being undervalued by many. He looked really good. The truth is, we need a miracle. It's not likely, but it does happen.

Like the lottery.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 07:06:28 PM by Poison »

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 10:31:51 PM »
Anybody eva seen this brother play?
Job been so hectic thius year, I aint been on the road. Dont know what his game is like or nothin. Any help be much preciated. 
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 11:16:47 PM »
http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=806.msg8933#new

Quincy Roberts will announce his decision to attend St. John's on Tuesday, according to a source close to the program.

Roberts, a 6-5, 175-pound shooting guard from Harrisburg, Pa., was on campus last week.

Roberts is also close friends with Karon Burton, a 5-9 guard from Chester (Pa.), so don't be surprised if Burton picks the Johnnies as well.

St. John's has three scholarships remaining and many holes to fill, especially after guards Mike Cavataio and Larry Wright recently announced their intention to transfer.

The decision by Roberts could not have come at a better time for St. John's, which recently lost out on Florida transfer Jonathan Mitchell, who stopped considering St. John's at least in part because of uncertainty surrounding head coach Norm Roberts's future

gonzalo

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 09:41:58 AM »
Welcome and good luck.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 01:31:52 PM »

you have more than double my comments.  we sign a two star kid and already we have posts about how the team, sans wright, will be better than last season.  come on.  again, i appreciate a nice kid coming on board.  why make him out to be a savior?  then if he doesn't live up to the unrealistic expectations, we'll have posters saying he sucks.

this seems to be a nice player who can be a nice complement to a good team.  we haven't reached good team status yet.  that'll have to wait until the next coach.

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 01:37:09 PM »

you have more than double my comments.  we sign a two star kid and already we have posts about how the team, sans wright, will be better than last season.  come on.  again, i appreciate a nice kid coming on board.  why make him out to be a savior?  then if he doesn't live up to the unrealistic expectations, we'll have posters saying he sucks.

this seems to be a nice player who can be a nice complement to a good team.  we haven't reached good team status yet.  that'll have to wait until the next coach.

I don't think anyone is making him out to be anything close to a savior. Also to say this team should be better than last season isn't a stretch merely by the fact its almost impossible to get worse than what we were. I think you are exaggerating any optimism that was even remotely shown by anyone.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 05:06:47 PM »
we got worse when we lost wright...just like we got worse when we lost calhoun.  we can always get worse.  to say we lost wright and we have a kid who played well in high school to replace him means we'll be better is a huge stretch.

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 05:18:34 PM »
pardon the intrusion/criticism from the new guy, but is a thread in April that was intended to be a welcome to our first 2008 recruit really the best place to complain about the team/coach/players/administration/menstrual cramps?  we have plenty of time to go negative about things we cannot change - plenty of time to waste away at work - plenty of time to make the fan base appear perpetually cranky and petulant.

I say: welcome, Quincy!  We all want the same thing here - an improved team headed in the right direction.  Thanks for joining our team!

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 11:44:06 PM »
i've said on more than one occasion that i welcome the young man and i hope his four years at st john's are the best in his life.  i respect a kid who's good and is willing to take a risk coming here.

i'm sure most of you agree.  what i don't agree with is the "here we go again crap"...i.e."You are joining a young team ready to take off and recapture the greatest city for basketball."...then a remark that in effect tells us to STFU if we don't buy in.

my point is...welcome quincy...but this team is very far from taking off and recapturing the greatest city for basketball.