Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S

• 835 replies
Re: Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S
« Reply #620 on: November 22, 2015, 07:49:56 PM »
Thanks for the first hand info chilleb. Which team do you root for?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

hnk

« Reply #621 on: November 22, 2015, 08:01:55 PM »
I think SirDom was mid-thirties...took him awhile.

Chilleb

« Reply #622 on: November 22, 2015, 08:02:12 PM »
Lol , no doubt man. the same team as everybody else on this board

« Reply #623 on: November 22, 2015, 08:15:13 PM »
Saw shamorie play last night, he's gonna have to do a lot before he really impacts the big east. Must transform his body, and learn to impact the game in other ways than scoring. Very good off the dribble but lack of strength makes him easily guard able by bigger defenders. Still think he is a good 4 year player but not a starter from day 1

I'm not sure I agree there. While I think he'll benefit from added strength he doesn't require it to make an impact. I also think his role on Jefferson is to be the main scorer and to be their volume guy where he doesn't have to be at St. John's. He's a capable passer but make no mistake about it he's a gunner.

Also remember that time Kevin Durant couldn't bench press 185 lbs? Yea that was after college.

Kevin durant  is a freak of nature. I wouldn't necessarily use him as the best comparison Dave . He was the #2 pick in the draft. He was also 6'10 and averaged 10 plus boards. Shamorie actually dosent have to be the volume guy on his Highschool team. He plays with two other very good guards. One is Rasheen Dunn who is also a division 1 player. My thing is if the kid isn't scoring he has 0 affect on the game at this point and I think that assessment is fair and warranted. When your a top 45 recruit people may get the notion to think that he's going to be dynamite out of the gate. I see the kid a lot and this post was to temper expectations. He can shoot but by no means is he a dangelo Harrison type. He's streaky. He will be a good 4 year player. He's 6'0 and very slight. Learning to control tempo, defend his position and make everybody around you better is very important. What if the gunner has a bad shooting night. Then how will he help us win? The big east is the big east.

You don't need to have incredible strength to impact the game. Yes I used KD as an example because he competed at the highest level and performed while being the 'weakest' player. You want an example less lofty? How about Mussini? He's a string bean and still making an impact.

Also Shamorie has good defensive instincts. Active hands in passing lanes and gets a lot of steals which lead to transition points. I agree with you that he needs to get stronger because he will have a tough time finishing at the rim but he's crafty.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #624 on: November 22, 2015, 08:28:26 PM »
Appreciate your honest opinion Chillie.  But at the same time you got to understand we all hope you're wrong. ;)
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

paultzman

« Reply #625 on: November 22, 2015, 08:35:37 PM »
I respect Chileb's opinion a lot because he frequently sees these kids. Also, unless I am missing something, he did say Ponds would be a good four year player, but may not start year one. What's the big deal with that?

« Reply #626 on: November 22, 2015, 08:57:44 PM »
Exactly.  Many kids in the top 30-50 range progress from contributors to stars.  Personally, I like that the intent seems to build a balanced roster with kids in that range who are going to be good contributors for 3-4 years, a few JUCO's/transfers mixed in, with the hope that we land our share of "two and dones" (or even a one and done here and there).

Poison

« Reply #627 on: November 22, 2015, 09:25:48 PM »
No harm in tempering expectations at St.John's.

« Reply #628 on: November 22, 2015, 09:27:19 PM »
Sheed was top 20 and he actually hurt us the first couple of months.  Lav overused him at first.  Hurt both him and us. Super talent though.

« Reply #629 on: November 22, 2015, 10:18:22 PM »
I respect Chileb's opinion a lot because he frequently sees these kids. Also, unless I am missing something, he did say Ponds would be a good four year player, but may not start year one. What's the big deal with that?

I think Chileb has some good points and you'd hope that Sophomores would start over freshman but disagree he needs to add strength and change his game before he can impact in Big East.

Ryan Arcidiacono was a soft string bean his freshman year. He certainly made an impact immediately and he's benefitted from physical maturity and experience.

Chilleb

« Reply #630 on: November 22, 2015, 10:29:53 PM »

I think Chileb has some good points and you'd hope that Sophomores would start over freshman but disagree he needs to add strength and change his game before he can impact in Big East.

Ryan Arcidiacono was a soft string bean his freshman year. He certainly made an impact immediately and he's benefitted from physical maturity and experience.

I want the kid to be the Naismith player of the year the #1 pick in the draft and lead us to the final 4. I hope just as much as anyone else on this board that the kid is superb from jump. However I'm giving my honest opinion having seen this kid a ton. Dave you know I respect your opinion and all of your contributions here but yet again the two players you named Ryan arch and mussini affect the game in more ways then one. If I had one critique I would say shamorie has not learned yet how to affect the game at a "high level" in other ways besides scoring. Mussini and Ryan arch are both very heady players who control the game. Would you give shamorie that stamp just yet? Does being a pesky defender at the Highschool level really translate to the big east right away? Will his good passing ability be on full display from day 1 when he has never played the point full time at a high level? Asante gist was his backcourt partner on the eybl circuit. Weight is not the only thing he needs to add, I would hope every Highschool player tries to gain strength to adjust to the physicality of the division 1 game. Shamorie right now is a crafty scorer and a good shooter. Two attributes that can be propelled by weight training. I don't think it's a travesty to say the kid needs to get stronger. I never said he was a bad pickup or he was overrated as I have done openly with many other players our staff has tried to recruit. I just want to temper expectations. That is all.

« Reply #631 on: November 22, 2015, 11:33:44 PM »

I want the kid to be the Naismith player of the year the #1 pick in the draft and lead us to the final 4. I hope just as much as anyone else on this board that the kid is superb from jump. However I'm giving my honest opinion having seen this kid a ton. Dave you know I respect your opinion and all of your contributions here but yet again the two players you named Ryan arch and mussini affect the game in more ways then one. If I had one critique I would say shamorie has not learned yet how to affect the game at a "high level" in other ways besides scoring. Mussini and Ryan arch are both very heady players who control the game. Would you give shamorie that stamp just yet? Does being a pesky defender at the Highschool level really translate to the big east right away? Will his good passing ability be on full display from day 1 when he has never played the point full time at a high level? Asante gist was his backcourt partner on the eybl circuit. Weight is not the only thing he needs to add, I would hope every Highschool player tries to gain strength to adjust to the physicality of the division 1 game. Shamorie right now is a crafty scorer and a good shooter. Two attributes that can be propelled by weight training. I don't think it's a travesty to say the kid needs to get stronger. I never said he was a bad pickup or he was overrated as I have done openly with many other players our staff has tried to recruit. I just want to temper expectations. That is all.

Well said. Good points.

« Reply #632 on: November 22, 2015, 11:43:35 PM »
Lol , no doubt man. the same team as everybody else on this board

Sorry read that post wrong haha. Glad to hear it
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #633 on: November 23, 2015, 08:34:40 AM »
Saw shamorie play last night, he's gonna have to do a lot before he really impacts the big east. Must transform his body, and learn to impact the game in other ways than scoring. Very good off the dribble but lack of strength makes him easily guard able by bigger defenders. Still think he is a good 4 year player but not a starter from day 1

Always respect your opinion, Chilleb, and I agree he needs to get stronger, but I think he has enough to contribute at the college level right now.  He can get his shot off out of almost any situation (steal, deflection, pass, etc.) in one dribble.  He is a lock for 2 steals a game and more than his share of boards with his nose for the ball.  I think he'd be better than Mussini if he was playing for us this season. 

Hatten was 165 pounds as a senior.  Steph Curry dominated college as a very scrawny 6'1 guard.

MCNPA

« Reply #634 on: November 23, 2015, 10:00:37 AM »
Ponds doesn't need to do too much because we will have Lovett and Mussini in the backcourt as well. 

« Reply #635 on: November 23, 2015, 10:31:45 AM »
Ponds doesn't need to do too much because we will have Lovett and Mussini in the backcourt as well. 
My thoughts exactly.  We have the luxury of bringing Ponds along as slow or fast as his development allows.  Mussini and Ellison will play substantial minutes this year, and Lovett should be primed to take over the point.  Adding Yakwe's rebounding, Owens' length and hopefully 1 or more dynamic forward in Ahmed/Freudenberg would make this team deep and diverse, if nothing else.

paultzman

« Reply #636 on: November 23, 2015, 10:41:33 AM »
My thoughts exactly.  We have the luxury of bringing Ponds along as slow or fast as his development allows.  Mussini and Ellison will play substantial minutes this year, and Lovett should be primed to take over the point.  Adding Yakwe's rebounding, Owens' length and hopefully 1 or more dynamic forward in Ahmed/Freudenberg would make this team deep and diverse, if nothing else.

Exactly

Marillac

« Reply #637 on: November 23, 2015, 11:14:54 AM »

I think his defense will make it tough to keep him off the court.  His team plays almost exclusively zone, but he really has some nose for the ball and has the physical tools to be the best defender of the trio.

But I agree with other posters that we really have a fine situation with Lovett, Mussini, Ellison, and perhaps Freudenburg and Ahmed that we can bring Ponds along at the most appropriate pace for his development.  We won't "need" him to be a star right away.

I've been very impressed with Mussini this season.  I think the personnel on this roster is crying out for a 1-3-1 (M'Vouika, Ellison, or Mussini up top and Balamou on the baseline) or 2-3 zone to help minimize his liability on defense, but it's understandable that our primary x's and o's guys want to stick with man-to-man coming from the NBA.

MCNPA

« Reply #638 on: November 23, 2015, 11:32:28 AM »
We will have several good ball handlers next season.  Ponds will command time because he can flat out score.  I can definitely see plenty of times next season where we might play three guards with the mix of Lovett, mussini, ponds, Ellison etc. 

« Reply #639 on: November 23, 2015, 12:39:49 PM »
We will have several good ball handlers next season.  Ponds will command time because he can flat out score.  I can definitely see plenty of times next season where we might play three guards with the mix of Lovett, mussini, ponds, Ellison etc. 

No doubt. I really like the combination of speed and ability to create off the bounce next year.