Steve DeMeo

• 360 replies
Re: Steve DeMeo
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2019, 02:54:22 PM »
Mullin's "plan" was to improve the worst team ever in St. John's history that he inherited through no fault of his own and to improve it's record every season he coached it. Culminating in the uncommon coup de gras/holy grail on Union and Utopia. An Ncaa tournament bid!
CM's plan was to make the most money for doing the least amount of work for as long as possible. Mission accomplished!

« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2019, 03:26:58 PM »
What does that even mean?  If I'm reading it correctly we'll know we have a "solid presence" if and when he dances.Nothing has happened yet. Everybody has a plan before the ball starts bouncing.
A solid presence may mean being in HS gyms and AAU events.

As for everyone having a plan, we usually wait until they’ve coached a few games before we declare them a bust.

(Although, for me, if he sits on the scorers table during the first game, he’s an immediate bust)

Johnny23

« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2019, 04:18:31 PM »
What performance goals do you feel Anderson should meet here as evidence he is doing a good job?

Consistently finishing at or above .500 in conference and 20 win seasons should be his annual goal. Consistenly being the key word. Not once every 4 or 5 years, that is flash in the pan crap.

Being that Anderson has won 20+ games in 7 of the last 11 seasons (and 6 dances) he's got a good shot of meeting these goals.

« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2019, 05:20:36 PM »
The comparison to Seth Greenberg is insane. Anderson has accomplished a lot more than him. For the first time in my life, St. John's has a coach with a proven track record of both success and a strong work ethic. I find it bizarre that we can be negative about what's making up our coaching staff so far. His nephew is a proven recruiter and assistant coach on the rise who's more than paid his dues for over a decade, and we have a local guy who has proven experience as a good recruiter. DeMeo and/or Esposito would have been our most well-rounded assistant last year, and we're looking at them as our third.

Unlike other coaches we have had, Anderson seems to actually have a system and is recruiting towards that. I find that refreshing. As long as McGriff and Sears come into the program with the right attitudes about being role players and developing, they will be fine. Next year is the year to judge on the staff's recruiting prowess. This year is about keeping Heron and LJ, landing a top grad transfer (i.e. Thornton), and rounding out the roster. With that, maybe we surprise people at a .500 record overall, and competitive in the Big East. Other teams have done more with less.

« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2019, 08:07:53 PM »
The comparison to Seth Greenberg is insane. Anderson has accomplished a lot more than him. For the first time in my life, St. John's has a coach with a proven track record of both success and a strong work ethic. I find it bizarre that we can be negative about what's making up our coaching staff so far. His nephew is a proven recruiter and assistant coach on the rise who's more than paid his dues for over a decade, and we have a local guy who has proven experience as a good recruiter. DeMeo and/or Esposito would have been our most well-rounded assistant last year, and we're looking at them as our third.

Unlike other coaches we have had, Anderson seems to actually have a system and is recruiting towards that. I find that refreshing. As long as McGriff and Sears come into the program with the right attitudes about being role players and developing, they will be fine. Next year is the year to judge on the staff's recruiting prowess. This year is about keeping Heron and LJ, landing a top grad transfer (i.e. Thornton), and rounding out the roster. With that, maybe we surprise people at a .500 record overall, and competitive in the Big East. Other teams have done more with less.

The comparison is to the results of VA Tech in the ACC under Greenberg. Great basketball conference, steady ship, in the mix, clean program, but never elite.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2019, 08:27:13 PM »
The comparison is to the results of VA Tech in the ACC under Greenberg. Great basketball conference, steady ship, in the mix, clean program, but never elite.

It is certainly possible the Mike Anderson's tenure here resembles that when all is said and done. But this is St. John's and it's going to be a tall task for anybody to get this program to be elite. The other coaches being seriously rumored for the job at the end there were not going to make this program elite. You can't say that you'd be more confident in Tim Cluess, Porter Moser or James Jones to have been better than that Seth Greenberg level.

« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2019, 11:35:52 PM »
It is certainly possible the Mike Anderson's tenure here resembles that when all is said and done. But this is St. John's and it's going to be a tall task for anybody to get this program to be elite. The other coaches being seriously rumored for the job at the end there were not going to make this program elite. You can't say that you'd be more confident in Tim Cluess, Porter Moser or James Jones to have been better than that Seth Greenberg level.

The whole situation and process was a mess. National embarrassment. I think Cluess would have been better choice than Anderson but if I'm a new AD I wouldn't be pairing myself with any of those guys.

If the school would have let AD do his job and didn't muck everything up we could have ended up with Mike Brey. Still it nearly happened behind closed doors but again another guy who didn't want to deal with the mess attached with school.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2019, 11:51:21 PM »
The whole situation and process was a mess. National embarrassment. I think Cluess would have been better choice than Anderson but if I'm a new AD I wouldn't be pairing myself with any of those guys.

If the school would have let AD do his job and didn't muck everything up we could have ended up with Mike Brey. Still it nearly happened behind closed doors but again another guy who didn't want to deal with the mess attached with school.

Yes we all agree it was a national embarrassment but that's no reason to take it out on Mike Anderson. Maybe Cluess would have been a better choice but he could just as easily achieved little success here. He was no home run by any means.

I don't know what happened but I have an extremely hard time believing Mike Brey would ever have seriously considered leaving Notre Dame for St. John's. Even after a couple down years his job isn't in jeopardy there and we can't match them financially. If any talking was actually happening it probably would have ended with Brey getting a raise from Notre Dame and us leaving that situation with our tail between our legs yet again.

« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2019, 01:01:25 AM »
Consistently finishing at or above .500 in conference and 20 win seasons should be his annual goal. 
So he needs to achieve that in year one or his initial season is a disappointment?

« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2019, 01:34:38 AM »
Sour shoes

Johnny23

« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2019, 07:14:02 AM »
So he needs to achieve that in year one or his initial season is a disappointment?

Now why would you ask him to achieve in Year 1 what took your boy 4 seasons to achieve? Is it because you have much higher expectations of Anderson than Mullin? If so it's nice to see you've finally turned the corner.

Marillac

« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2019, 09:15:52 PM »

You can’t believe that we had a shot at Brey, Dave. This is a bad job. The fact that we got someoneike Anderson is a miracle.

« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2019, 09:52:17 PM »
Now why would you ask him to achieve in Year 1 what took your boy 4 seasons to achieve? Is it because you have much higher expectations of Anderson than Mullin? If so it's nice to see you've finally turned the corner.
I'm not asking him anything. I asked you a question about goals for Anderson and you wrote "Consistently finishing at or above .500 in conference and 20 win seasons should be his ANNUAL goal."

Annual means occurring once every year.  Personally I thought you were being hard on the new coach.

« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2019, 10:13:02 PM »
You can’t believe that we had a shot at Brey, Dave. This is a bad job. The fact that we got someoneike Anderson is a miracle.
Dave isnt wrong and I told a redmen poster months ago like in january. I cant say how I was told but you can definitely verify with him pm that I told him. And it wasn't Dave that told me

Poison

« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2019, 10:18:27 PM »

It’s not insane if you compare the worst seasons CMA has had as a head coach with the best seasons Seth Greenberg has ever had and you’d have basically the same thing.

I do really enjoy SG’s commentary on the game. He’s great on TV.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 10:19:00 PM by Poison »

ras

« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2019, 10:40:49 PM »
Disappointed that we didn’t get Brey. But if you consider how bad the administration is, I agree w Marillac, it’s a miracle we got Anderson.

Marillac

« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2019, 11:26:11 PM »
Dave isnt wrong and I told a redmen poster months ago like in january. I cant say how I was told but you can definitely verify with him pm that I told him. And it wasn't Dave that told me

I don’t doubt that you can confirm we wanted him but he didn’t want us. At all. It doesn’t even make sense. This is a terrible job. He isn’t young and he has a cushy job to end his career.

wpc77

« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2019, 06:34:49 AM »
I don’t doubt that you can confirm we wanted him but he didn’t want us. At all. It doesn’t even make sense. This is a terrible job. He isn’t young and he has a cushy job to end his career.

Dave is right.  It got close for a couple of days.  Brey then had a change of heart.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 06:38:27 AM by wpc77 »

Foad

« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2019, 09:17:52 AM »

You knew in January that Mullin was getting fired and that Mike Brey was close to taking the job? That's either really inside information or you're Nostradamus. Either way, PM me, I'd like you to manage my money.

« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2019, 11:52:49 AM »
You knew in January that Mullin was getting fired and that Mike Brey was close to taking the job? That's either really inside information or you're Nostradamus. Either way, PM me, I'd like you to manage my money.
No. Didn't know that. Was told that Cragg and him were friends and that hypothetically if the job opened up in the next couple of years he was interested. Was told that sometimes every coach needs a change of scenery. Those rumors of Brey coming to campus or Cragg going to Chicago etc I knew nothing about