Steve DeMeo

• 360 replies

Foad

Re: Steve DeMeo
« Reply #160 on: May 30, 2019, 07:13:07 PM »
Many of us thought that the CMA hire meant that we would turn our attention to national instead of local recruiting.

Hiring Macon and DeMeo says otherwise.

Not sure exactly what this means. Both Mullin and Lavin recruited nationally. From NY Mullin got Ponds and a couple of leftovers. Lavin got no one other than Harkless, who fell into his lap and no one else.

There's not a lot of successful programs that recruit locally. Nova recruits regionally but they get the cream of the crop because they're Nova. Butler and Xavier recruit sort of regionally with varying success. Marquette does also and they get good players and who knows who successful they'd be at it if they didn't have Wojo, who sucks. Seton Hall recruits regionally but they've had no competition for recruits since Quincy Douby and Willard sucks also. Providence has two players from New England. Conclusion: there are few programs that recruit locally that succeed. Because there's a limited pool of local players who are good enough to make a difference and of those a considerable percentage leave for varying reasons.

I have no problem with coach third choice offering marginal players to make in roads into the local high school basketball scene and hiring assistants with local ties to attract future local recruits. But with the changed landscape of college BB - where the really good HS BB players go to BB factories elsewhere and anyway end up at elite schools - focusing on NYC hoops does not seem to me to be a winining formula, unless coach just got fired from Arkansas for not living up to expectations exceeds expectations in Jamaica, where coaching careers go to die. 

« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2019, 07:59:40 PM »

« Reply #163 on: May 30, 2019, 10:15:49 PM »
Guy only won at a .863 clip in 6 years as head coach at his last stop. Guy is a bum.

Poison

« Reply #164 on: May 30, 2019, 11:29:41 PM »
Not sure exactly what this means. Both Mullin and Lavin recruited nationally. From NY Mullin got Ponds and a couple of leftovers. Lavin got no one other than Harkless, who fell into his lap and no one else.

There's not a lot of successful programs that recruit locally. Nova recruits regionally but they get the cream of the crop because they're Nova. Butler and Xavier recruit sort of regionally with varying success. Marquette does also and they get good players and who knows who successful they'd be at it if they didn't have Wojo, who sucks. Seton Hall recruits regionally but they've had no competition for recruits since Quincy Douby and Willard sucks also. Providence has two players from New England. Conclusion: there are few programs that recruit locally that succeed. Because there's a limited pool of local players who are good enough to make a difference and of those a considerable percentage leave for varying reasons.

I have no problem with coach third choice offering marginal players to make in roads into the local high school basketball scene and hiring assistants with local ties to attract future local recruits. But with the changed landscape of college BB - where the really good HS BB players go to BB factories elsewhere and anyway end up at elite schools - focusing on NYC hoops does not seem to me to be a winining formula, unless coach just got fired from Arkansas for not living up to expectations exceeds expectations in Jamaica, where coaching careers go to die. 

My point is that the expectation was that CMA was brought in to focus on national, not local recruiting.

This latest recruit is sending a message to every local high school coach: Watch how this kid improves.

Foad

« Reply #165 on: May 31, 2019, 08:14:54 AM »
My point is that the expectation was that CMA was brought in to focus on national, not local recruiting.

Who's expectations were those exactly? Yours? Because I didn't hear anyone say - and that's not an exaggeration, not anyone - say let's bring CMA in here to focus on national recruiting. What I heard was let's get CMA in here because the first three guys said no and otherwise we're going to end up with that mook from Yale or someone worse. 

This latest recruit is sending a message to every local high school coach: Watch how this kid improves.

I suppose if he improves that might be the message and if so it might pay dividends in 2024 when that becomes apparent and if so then what? We might land some other coveted three star recruits who are almost as good as their brothers I guess. The fact is though that most players improve over four years, if only through attrition. That's kind of the entire theory of pedagogy: that continued exposure to a particular subject results in a degree of expertise in that subject no matter how incompetent the teacher or ignorant the pupil.

When coach third choice was hired I went over to the Arkansas board and read the thread about his firing. Sentiments ran from jubilation to he's a good guy and our guy but he had to go: they said his players don't improve, that his in game coaching stinks, that the roster was unbalanced and instable due to multitudinous transfers, that he runs a fugazi system that beats up on cupcakes but doesn't work in the long run against real competition and especially in the post season. It sounded almost exactly like disgruntled fans here describing Mullin. Hopefully all those guys who watched him coach for eight years are wrong and his ball washers here who have never seen him coach a game are right. But having been a SJ fan for 40 years I'm not optimistic about the prospects for success.

MCNPA

« Reply #166 on: May 31, 2019, 09:24:58 AM »
As said prior, Anderson won at a .863 clip prior to this job.  What those Arkansas fans say on those boards are based on delusions of grandeur compared to anything SJU fans can dream of.  Anderson’s teams at all his stops have been very, very good and consistently win and make the tournament.  The Arkansas fans are butthurt he wasn’t making the final 8 every year.  SJU fans hang on to ONE Final 4 made several decades ago. 

Johnny23

« Reply #167 on: May 31, 2019, 09:53:32 AM »
As said prior, DeMeo won at a .863 clip prior to this job.  What those Arkansas fans say on those boards are based on delusions of grandeur compared to anything SJU fans can dream of.  Anderson’s teams at all his stops have been very, very good and consistently win and make the tournament.  The Arkansas fans are butthurt he wasn’t making the final 8 every year.  SJU fans hang on to ONE Final 4 made several decades ago.

FIFY

Foad

« Reply #168 on: May 31, 2019, 10:02:18 AM »
As said prior, Anderson won at a .863 clip prior to this job.  What those Arkansas fans say on those boards are based on delusions of grandeur compared to anything SJU fans can dream of.  Anderson’s teams at all his stops have been very, very good and consistently win and make the tournament.  The Arkansas fans are butthurt he wasn’t making the final 8 every year.  SJU fans hang on to ONE Final 4 made several decades ago. 

Your numbers are wrong and if you've seen Anderson coach three games in your life I don't believe it. Other than that you make some good points.

MCNPA

« Reply #169 on: May 31, 2019, 10:21:44 AM »
Your numbers are wrong and if you've seen Anderson coach three games in your life I don't believe it. Other than that you make some good points.

I pulled the number from the prior post.  Not my own data but he’s been successful.  I’ve seen him coach 3 games.  One when he was at Missouri and at least two at Arkansas, one of which was when Anderson’s team beat Seton Hall.  So 3 games for sure. His numbers are a ton better than the disgruntled Arkansas fans seem to gather.  Kinda like when Pitt fans wanted Jamie Dixon gone.

Foad

« Reply #170 on: May 31, 2019, 11:24:47 AM »
I pulled the number from the prior post.  Not my own data but he’s been successful.  I’ve seen him coach 3 games.  One when he was at Missouri and at least two at Arkansas, one of which was when Anderson’s team beat Seton Hall.  So 3 games for sure. His numbers are a ton better than the disgruntled Arkansas fans seem to gather.  Kinda like when Pitt fans wanted Jamie Dixon gone.

Dixon made the NCAA tournament 11 times in 13 years at Pitt. Run CTC made three in eight at UA. So it's not kind of like that at all.

« Reply #172 on: May 31, 2019, 12:31:22 PM »
Terrible hire by Coach Anderson... 

I know of at least two other local guys that spoke to them and both would have been much better...

Unless you name these two other guys this is an absolute ridiculous post.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #173 on: May 31, 2019, 12:55:16 PM »
One thing I know is Coach DeMeo will work hard. Will be good in practice and will put in time on the road. Lets get to work!!
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #174 on: May 31, 2019, 02:04:10 PM »
One thing I know is Coach DeMeo will work hard. Will be good in practice and will put in time on the road. Lets get to work!!

Still think the Norm, Q, Braica staff was better?

« Reply #175 on: May 31, 2019, 02:08:10 PM »
Still think the Norm, Q, Braica staff was better?
Nothing has changed since he made that comment besides an underwhelming dobo hire and getting Pressey as a special assistant.  He said that as soon as he learned that Demeo was a candidate for the 3rd spot.

sju89tr

« Reply #176 on: May 31, 2019, 03:23:11 PM »
This is a damn good staff and Pressey will add more than Mitch ever did

« Reply #177 on: May 31, 2019, 03:27:28 PM »
I think Pressey is a really good add. Has the NBA pedigree and is a pioneer in the positionless basketball era. Perfect role for him too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Johnny23

« Reply #178 on: May 31, 2019, 03:28:15 PM »
This is a very experienced staff with different skill sets from recruiting to X's and O's to player development. They still need to go out and prove it but cautiously optimistic.

« Reply #179 on: May 31, 2019, 03:29:11 PM »
I think Pressey is a really good add. Has the NBA pedigree and is a pioneer in the positionless basketball era. Perfect role for him too.
Agreed. Wonderful to have someone on staff with loads NBA coaching experience to complement the rest of the super experienced college coaching staff.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 03:33:58 PM by colelatshaw2010 »