Starting Lineup

• 81 replies
Re: Starting Lineup
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2020, 09:19:21 PM »
As we sit here today I agree except Roberts starting, I don't think MA is a Roberts fan. I think Moore is the fifth guy, despite the fact that I've never seen him play. Dunn, Roberts, and Williams comprise the second wave. Cadaver, Sears and Steere follow. It's not good but it's not the worst I've ever seen either, but then I'm very very old.

Yea I hear your point and think it’s true that Anderson didn’t seem to be in love with Roberts.....I don’t think sears and steere will be here, but like the rotation you chose...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 01:10:11 PM by Johnnies93!! »

Poison

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2020, 10:06:44 PM »
Center or PF. Playing him at SF takes away all of the advantages he has over taller players.

It looks like Anderson wants to get a ton of points from big men in secondary transition and scramble situations. Guys like Champagnie and Earlington mitigate the soze differential by scoring cheap points against stiff backpedaling monsters.

Earlington has excelled at times playing against undersized bigs. Other times, he’s been eaten alive.

The guy doesn’t really have a position but he made difference at times because he has a knack for the ball, and because he started hit the three ball.

I think he could play both forward positions for us next season, but I don’t like him at center because he can’t guard anyone.

ras

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2020, 10:17:13 PM »
Read on RMN that Sears is transferring, I think you could also say good bye to Steere. Hopefully we can get the elusive grad transfer big we have wanted for years.

Johnny23

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2020, 10:25:19 PM »
A good amount of 6'9, 6'10, 7 footers on the transfer wire. Just need one.

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2020, 11:09:13 PM »
With how Anderson utilizes his bench I'm not sure the "starter" versus "reserve" distinction matters that much.  Based on the Earlington's and Williams improvement this year, I wouldn't be shocked if either ends up starting.

I disagree that it doesn't matter. Establishing tempo, defense, tone of game is important. That counter punch after first media timeout is equally as important too.

I think where "starters" are underrated is at end of the game. Guys you mentioned might be closers for sure but that doesn't mean they need to be starters.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2020, 11:11:22 PM »
Earlington has excelled at times playing against undersized bigs. Other times, he’s been eaten alive.

The guy doesn’t really have a position but he made difference at times because he has a knack for the ball, and because he started hit the three ball.

I think he could play both forward positions for us next season, but I don’t like him at center because he can’t guard anyone.

Do you think he can guard small forwards?! I’d put him on a center all day over a SF.

Champagnie is a much better perimeter defender.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 11:12:09 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2020, 11:12:24 PM »
Read on RMN that Sears is transferring, I think you could also say good bye to Steere. Hopefully we can get the elusive grad transfer big we have wanted for years.

I wonder if Sears is graduating because if he is it would make more sense if he chooses to play somewhere where he can actually get min.

If he he isn't idk what sense it makes to sit out. Also for 1 more year to have big man depth isn't horrible unless you can plug with someone better.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2020, 12:36:34 AM »
Do you think he can guard small forwards?! I’d put him on a center all day over a SF.

Champagnie is a much better perimeter defender.

Earlington couldn’t guard anyone at any position. He needs to learn how to defend this summer.

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2020, 08:29:54 AM »
At the first game of the 2020-2021 regular season:

PG - Dunn
SG - Williams
SF - Figueroa/Cole
PF - Champagnie
C - Earlington

cjfish

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2020, 10:37:11 AM »
At the first game of the 2020-2021 regular season:

PG - Dunn
SG - Williams
SF - Figueroa/Cole
PF - Champagnie
C - Earlington

Dunn at the point would be a disaster.  Hopefully one of the young kids

Johnny23

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2020, 10:58:22 AM »
Dunn was playing out of position all season long. He is NOT a PG. Yet he was forced to man the point too much this season. He will be much more effective in his true role of scoring guard next season. The kid can really take it to the rack and create. With Posh and McGriff playing PG Dunn should have a nice season next year.

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2020, 11:32:05 AM »
Dunn was playing out of position all season long. He is NOT a PG. Yet he was forced to man the point too much this season. He will be much more effective in his true role of scoring guard next season. The kid can really take it to the rack and create. With Posh and McGriff playing PG Dunn should have a nice season next year.

I agree overall but the question is whether Anderson will open up the season with either Posh or McGriff as starting point guards ... i would think he eases them in after a few games

Johnny23

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2020, 12:00:39 PM »
I agree overall but the question is whether Anderson will open up the season with either Posh or McGriff as starting point guards ... i would think he eases them in after a few games

You're probably right but we'll see. This team could be really solid next year. I'd love to see one more big (6'8-6'10, 230+) on the roster.

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2020, 03:08:12 PM »

No they will get 35+ minutes at the point combined from the first practice.

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2020, 04:01:06 PM »

Totally agree....posh was a 4 star and will be heading back there as soon as ratings are updated...kid had a monster year against the countries best competition...could make an argument that he was one of best 10 hs point guards in the country this year....he will be your starter on day 1!!

Foad

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2020, 04:45:12 PM »
could make an argument that he was one of best 10 hs point guards in the country this year.

Wishful thinking times ten

he will be your starter on day 1!!

Probably he will, which is unfortunate, because freshman point guards. See also Cook, Omar.

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2020, 05:15:46 PM »
Wishful thinking times ten

Probably he will, which is unfortunate, because freshman point guards. See also Cook, Omar.

FOAD before your response please take a breath and look at the facts...he is ranked as a top 25 combo guard right now which would put him in top 25 PG easy...I’m just saying after the schedule he played and his numbers he will def move up and after comparing his season to all the other PGs he looks to me like a top 10 guy....
As for next year, I wish we had a upperclassmen he could learn from and get time off bench, but as we both have said many times this year, we don’t have a point guard....so to me, he will def start...

cjfish

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2020, 06:29:55 PM »

McGriff has the penetrating quickness with a point guard mindset that will surprise you all.  Expect 20Minutes plus and a nice distributor.

Foad

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2020, 06:33:00 PM »
FOAD before your response please take a breath and look at the facts...he is ranked as a top 25 combo guard right now which would put him in top 25 PG easy.

Charitably speaking that's an absurd statement that has nothing to do with facts looked at or otherwise.

he looks to me like a top 10 guy....

Fair enough, but I don't care what he looks like to you and what he looks like to you is a baromoter of nothing except your hopeless homerism. If he'd committed to Seton Hall after leaning to SJU you'd be downplaying his abilities and addition by subtraction-ing his cancerism. I know your type.

As for next year, I wish we had a upperclassmen he could learn from and get time off bench, but as we both have said many times this year, we don’t have a point guard....so to me, he will def start...

Finally we agree: most freshmen point guards stink and would be better seen only as sophomores or even juniors. Hopefully he's an exception to the rule. That said I said he'd start two days ago. Thanks for catching up.

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2020, 07:24:25 PM »
At the Start of the season:

PG    Dunn
2G   Williams
SF   Cole
PF   Earlington
C    Champagnie

By the end of the year

PG   Anderson
2G   Williams
SF   Cole
PF    Champagnie / Earlington
C     Moore  (Not sure what position he plays or how good he will be - but hoping we can move
       Champagnie to the PF position with Earlington