What I don't like about this election year

• 33 replies
Re: What I don't like about this election year
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2008, 07:53:35 PM »
he got into yale on the rich man's "affirmative action".  it's how ted kennedy got into harvard.  it's how mccain graduated bottom five in his class. 

bush graduated with a "gentlemen's "C" average.  you know this, you're just trying to stir the pot...

Well Obama got into Columbia and Harvard on the real Affirmative Action.

If he did, he sure made good use of the opportunity.  He would make the strongest in fovor of Affirmative Action.

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2008, 07:55:59 PM »
we need smart people running the country...not celebrities.

Yeah I forgot..  the current President graduated from YALE and got his MBA from HARVARD...   he is just a dumb ass hick from Texas...

Some people live off the successes of their father.  Bush got a 1206 on his SAT (not a shabby score at all, but certainly not Ivy League), and was a very average student at Yale.

A 1206 is not far off what many black students score in the IVY League that benefit from Affirmative Ation.   Bush clearly got into his schools because of his father, but that doesn't mean that Obama didn't benefit from his father or from affirmative action either.  Getting in is one thing, finishing is another.  They both finished so how they got in should not matter.  Bush may have his share of gaffes--Obama won't be far behind him either after eight years;  check you tube for his current collections including 58 states and teleprompter errors--but he is no idiot.  

The average SAT score is in the neighborhood of 980.  Bush's 1206 puts him well above most of the people in this country and, ironically, above many of them who call him stupid!  

And who even cares?  I got into an Ivy League school on my own and finished with a near 4.0, but I don't feel qualified to run a household let alone a country!

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 07:59:02 PM »
he got into yale on the rich man's "affirmative action".  it's how ted kennedy got into harvard.  it's how mccain graduated bottom five in his class. 

bush graduated with a "gentlemen's "C" average.  you know this, you're just trying to stir the pot...

If he did, he sure made good use of the opportunity.  He would make the strongest in fovor of Affirmative Action.

Please tell me you don't believe in Affirmative Action?  It is racist and a double-standard.  It does more harm than good, because for every black prospective college or job applicant that benefits from it, an equally or more qualified person is harmed by it.  It is not fair and it is a strong source of racism in this country. 

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2008, 09:27:05 PM »

Yeah I forgot..  the current President graduated from YALE and got his MBA from HARVARD...   he is just a dumb ass hick from Texas...

Some people live off the successes of their father.  Bush got a 1206 on his SAT (not a shabby score at all, but certainly not Ivy League), and was a very average student at Yale.

A 1206 is not far off what many black students score in the IVY League that benefit from Affirmative Ation.   Bush clearly got into his schools because of his father, but that doesn't mean that Obama didn't benefit from his father or from affirmative action either.  Getting in is one thing, finishing is another.  They both finished so how they got in should not matter.  Bush may have his share of gaffes--Obama won't be far behind him either after eight years;  check you tube for his current collections including 58 states and teleprompter errors--but he is no idiot.  

The average SAT score is in the neighborhood of 980.  Bush's 1206 puts him well above most of the people in this country and, ironically, above many of them who call him stupid!  

And who even cares?  I got into an Ivy League school on my own and finished with a near 4.0, but I don't feel qualified to run a household let alone a country!

Marrillac, I was also below Bush (only by a few points) in terms of SAT score, but I am not running for President of the United States.   

I agree that we need to get rid of Affirmative Action in order to continue making strides against racism in this country.  The real point I am trying to make is that George W. Bush hasn't earned a single position he's been in in his life.  The man has completely and totally benefitted because of who his father is.   
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Marillac

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2008, 09:33:09 PM »

Marrillac, I was also below Bush (only by a few points) in terms of SAT score, but I am not running for President of the United States.  

I agree that we need to get rid of Affirmative Action in order to continue making strides against racism in this country.  The real point I am trying to make is that George W. Bush hasn't earned a single position he's been in in his life.  The man has completely and totally benefitted because of who his father is.   

He was twice voted president by the people in this country and was voted governor.  I agree with you that he wold not be anythng without his father, but you can't take away his Yale and Harvard degrees or his experience. He may have been admitted because of his pops, but he earned those degrees.  He was voted Governor and President--that he earned.

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2008, 09:34:48 PM »

Please tell me you don't believe in Affirmative Action?  It is racist and a double-standard.  It does more harm than good, because for every black prospective college or job applicant that benefits from it, an equally or more qualified person is harmed by it.  It is not fair and it is a strong source of racism in this country. 

Blacks and other minorities have been putting with racist double standards for centuries. Hey weclome to the club!

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2008, 09:45:35 PM »

Blacks and other minorities have been putting with racist double standards for centuries. Hey weclome to the club!

Neither one of us has been alive for centuries.  I'm Irish...my ancestors lives were hell due to the English.  Am I going to cry about it for the rest of my life or just move on?  Should I get a job over an equally qualified person of English ancestry? 

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2008, 10:42:35 PM »

He was twice voted president by the people in this country and was voted governor.  I agree with you that he wold not be anythng without his father, but you can't take away his Yale and Harvard degrees or his experience. He may have been admitted because of his pops, but he earned those degrees.  He was voted Governor and President--that he earned.

Actually he was beat by about 500,000 votes in 2000, so if not for the archaic electoral college system, he likely wouldn't be where he is right now...and if he was accepted in the first place because of his father, how did he truly EARN that degree. He should've never been there in the first place. 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2008, 10:48:13 PM »

Neither one of us has been alive for centuries.  I'm Irish...my ancestors lives were hell due to the English.  Am I going to cry about it for the rest of my life or just move on?  Should I get a job over an equally qualified person of English ancestry? 

I have to admit I don't know much about Irish ancestory but they were not bombing churches in the Irish community after Brown vs the Board of Education. Your right to an education and your right to vote was gained with alot less frictton then my people. I am not saying Irish people did not have to struggle and work hard.....just saying your experience or path was easier in my view. And to just say I was not alive when it happened in is a cop out. What about the people who were there? I have uncles, aunts and grandparents who grew up in North and South Carolina during these turbulant times. They were denied the right to vote, denied a decent education and lived in fear because of the color of their skin. Image fearing to look a white person in their eyes while walking down the street because you feared what might happen to you if you did? Our road to justice took longer and was alot hard IMO. Again, no disrepect to your ancestry.

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2008, 11:10:14 PM »

I have to admit I don't know much about Irish ancestory but they were not bombing churches in the Irish community after Brown vs the Board of Education. Your right to an education and your right to vote was gained with alot less frictton then my people. I am not saying Irish people did not have to struggle and work hard.....just saying your experience or path was easier in my view. And to just say I was not alive when it happened in is a cop out. What about the people who were there? I have uncles, aunts and grandparents who grew up in North and South Carolina during these turbulant times. They were denied the right to vote, denied a decent education and lived in fear because of the color of their skin. Image fearing to look a white person in their eyes while walking down the street because you feared what might happen to you if you did? Our road to justice took longer and was alot hard IMO. Again, no disrepect to your ancestry.

You are kidding with that "imagine fearing to look a white person in the eyes while walking down the street because you feared what might happen to you if you did?"  How many whites can walk through a black neighborhood in the Bronx or Brooklyn and not feel that TODAY when they see a black man at night? 

Who do we blame for the violence in Darfur?  I mean it is blacks killing blacks.  Who captured and sold the black slaves to the Europeans?  Blacks did.  Blacks had black slaves before whites ever did. 

Blacks were not the only slaves in the history of the world.  Segments of EVERY CULTURE have been enslaved. 

What do we do for the Jew and Gypsies that were actually KILLED?  Certainly that must be worse than slavery. 

We can argue about this all day, but the bottomline is that al long as we have things like Black History Month and Affirmative Action, racism will be a problem.  The funny thing is that not a single one of us will have an umixed descendant in 200 years.  It will essentially be one race. 

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2008, 01:01:24 AM »
You are right we could go on all day/night with this. The Bronx and Brooklyn comment is funny but you can't even compare the two because back in the day the institutionalized racism was soooo blant. Hell we could not drink from the same water fountain back in the day but yet we were expected get justice from the courts and police? God forbid but if you ever did get rob in the Bronx there is a chance they could catch the person (slim but there is a chance) and the person would be punished for what they did.  Regardless of their color they would be punished. Hey we can't see eye to eye on everything but I repect your opinion. I am all for one race. The human race. That's how I raise my children but I also encourage them not to forget the past.

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2008, 07:49:52 AM »
I am all for one race. The human race. That's how I raise my children but I also encourage them not to forget the past.

Shout it loud brother.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2008, 10:06:01 AM »
Not to start some beef, but Marillac, I take some issue with your last statement.  Affirmative Action and Black History Month are causes of racism?  Please explain.  People get into schools for all kinds of reasons - legacy, money, grades + achievements, achievements + an ability to sell themselves, excellent former schools, even minor royalty.  A school can choose to look for a more diverse student body, vs. a bunch of grads from Choate and Exeter, if they so choose.  Some schools genuinely claim it as part of the collegiate experience.  And don't those people supposedly harmed by Affirmative Action... still get jobs?  I don't know, I have no statistics on that; I could be wrong.

Though in fact, one recent study shows a bias against "black-sounding names" in job apps: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_6_103/ai_97235741  It's not a perfect counter to "affirmative action gets black people jobs,"  but consider that perhaps fears about affirmative action are overstated. 

Not to say that race-based "point" measures used by some schools don't need to be revamped - if there is an issue with inequality and young people of comparable quality getting in to school, I'd say the issue would be economic/ income-based, and any efforts to elevate the level of folks' education has to start from elementary school.

And everyone has a History Month.  Is sexism a larger problem because of Women's History Month?  There's even an Irish-American Heritage Month. 

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2008, 12:30:19 AM »
Not to start some beef, but Marillac, I take some issue with your last statement.  Affirmative Action and Black History Month are causes of racism?  Please explain.  People get into schools for all kinds of reasons - legacy, money, grades + achievements, achievements + an ability to sell themselves, excellent former schools, even minor royalty.  A school can choose to look for a more diverse student body, vs. a bunch of grads from Choate and Exeter, if they so choose.  Some schools genuinely claim it as part of the collegiate experience.  And don't those people supposedly harmed by Affirmative Action... still get jobs?  I don't know, I have no statistics on that; I could be wrong.

Though in fact, one recent study shows a bias against "black-sounding names" in job apps: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_6_103/ai_97235741  It's not a perfect counter to "affirmative action gets black people jobs,"  but consider that perhaps fears about affirmative action are overstated. 

Not to say that race-based "point" measures used by some schools don't need to be revamped - if there is an issue with inequality and young people of comparable quality getting in to school, I'd say the issue would be economic/ income-based, and any efforts to elevate the level of folks' education has to start from elementary school.

And everyone has a History Month.  Is sexism a larger problem because of Women's History Month?  There's even an Irish-American Heritage Month. 

First, I would like to state that I am against racism.  I have friends of every color and religion and I think there are good and bad in every culture.  I have posted on BEB that I would like to foster and adopt children in the future and race or religion won't be a concern. 

With that said, I do think that affirmative action is not only wrong but fuels racism.  If you were are white man that just lost a job to a minority and you were slightly more qualified, it is only human to be upset.  Some can let that go, but many cannot.  Maybe they will find a job somewhere else, but a lot of times it won't be as good.  I also think Black History Month is shoved down our throats.  Blacks have done many great things in the history of the world and surely have much more ahead, but no other month is jammed with commercials on what race invented this.  It is at best a double standard.

How would you feel if someone bought commercial time advertising that this and that were invented by whites.  It would anger a lot of people.  The fact is that there is a huge double standard in this country right now.  Until we can get rid of what divides us we won't come together as quickly.