Malcolm Armstead - PG - Chipola Junior College - Florence, Alabama - OREGON

• 53 replies
http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?ReturnTo=&sid=&script=content.asp&cid=935571&fid=&tid=&mid=&rid=

According to Tom Kakert of the HawkeyeReport.com 6-0 Alabama guard has apparently cancelled his original plans this weekend and will instead take an official visit to St. John's.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:14:46 AM by kjd01067 »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Malcolm Armstead - PG - Chipola Junior College
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 08:06:25 AM »
I believe he has 3 years of eligibility if he comes next year.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Re: Malcolm Armstead - PG - Chipola Junior College
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 08:34:14 AM »
He played for a top ranked JC:

PPG 6.8  (52% from 3  41-79)..Hopefully he's a floor general
APG 4.9
RPG 3.0
SPG 1.9
TO  1.4

http://www.njcaa.org/colleges_college_stats.cfm?category=stats&sid=4&divid=1&slid=2&collegeId=1356&seasonselect=426

Some old articles...

http://www.i95ballerz.com/story%20-%20malcolm%20armstead%20visiting%20minny.html

"The 6-foot scoring point is dropping an eye opening 31 points 11 assists per game, while leading CPC to an undefeated 17-0 season so far. High major schools are well aware of Armstead’s ability to both score and dish the rock.

“I like Minnesota, Villanova, Tennessee, Michigan and Wake Forest right now,” says the Florence, Alabama native, who moved to the Birmingham area two seasons ago.

The Golden Gophers will get Armstead’s initial visit on January 22. No other school visits have been set up at this point.

Armstead has nice handle and is quicker than he looks, consistently getting by his man off the dribble and finishes in the paint. If you sleep on his jumper he’ll pull up in your face and drill a jumper.

Many have compared Malcolm’s game to current Golden State Warrior point guard Baron Davis; citing Armstead’s lefty handle, stocky build, deceptive quickness and of course his ability to light up the scoreboard, all as reasons for the association. "
http://www.i95ballerz.com/story%20-%20malcolm%20armstead%20-%20summer%2006.htm

I recently caught up with Malcolm Armstead, one of the fastest rising guards in the class of 2008 and a member of the Alabama Challenge AAU squad.

Armstead’s performance at the recently completed Nike Peach Jam in Augusta, GA, turned the heads of many coaches, while making believers out of non-believers in his skill set. Brandishing a lethal lefty crossover, Malcolm repeatedly got to the rim versus some of the more highly ranked guards in the nation.

“I still have a lot to work on, but I feel I’m playing well right now”, said the 6’0, 170-lb. point guard.

Work will also need to be applied to his right hand as well. During one stretch against Boo Williams guard Chris Wright (Top 25, 2007), Armstead used his slick lefty handle to get by on three consecutive possessions and either got to the cup or shot the mid-range jumper.

Unfortunately for Malcolm, Wright made the necessary adjustments on defense and forced him to right, which Armstead wasn’t as adept at doing as well, and contained the ultra quick dynamo for the rest of the contest. A contest Boo Williams won easily, but not due to a lack of effort on Malcolm’s part.

Despite the Challenge’s struggles in the event, they finished with a 1-4 record; Armstead shined through and led the camp in steals, just ahead of Wright.

Despite his minor shortcomings, Malcolm averaged 18 points and five assists per game as a shooting guard for Florence High. Malcolm boasts a 3.5 grade point average as well.

“My shot selection was poor, but I’ll get better and that will in turn improve my jump shot as well”, stated Armstead, who will change schools attend Central Park Christian in Birmingham next season.

The move certainly will present new challenges for the youngster, but it’s clear the decision was made by his entire family so as to better himself both athletically and academically.

“That’s why I decided to make the move. I wanted more of a challenge on the court and in the classroom”, exclaimed Armstead briefly before his AAU team left for the Super Showcase in Orlando. Malcolm will switch to point guard at Central Park Christian, taking advantage of his quick first step and superior on the ball skills.

South Carolina, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Michigan State and Michigan and UAB fills Malcolm’s laundry list of schools. He hasn’t made a decision yet, but stated he may make one soon after returning from Disney or right before the school year begins.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:47:12 AM »
If Lance comes and the offer is still on the table for this kid, another player would have to leave the program, correct?
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 10:04:26 AM »
Some source told NBE basketball's Pat Stevens that another player was likely to leave the program: http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=778.msg30870#msg30870

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 11:16:21 AM »
Some source told NBE basketball's Pat Stevens that another player was likely to leave the program: http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=778.msg30870#msg30870

I'm not sure when that was written or told though. That player might have been Ty
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 11:30:29 AM »
Per his scout.com page, we've been involved for at least a month.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=4193403

If he's at a JC doesnt he have to graduate ?
If he's a very good student & graduates in 1 or 1.5 years,
maybe thats how he gets 3 years eligibility ?

Molloy '71

sjd8886

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 12:05:29 PM »
losing ty and gaining a legit jc pg or stith, would be a nice trade...we need another pg bad...malik has some skill, but i dont think hes a starter...he cant score and he makes bad decisions...let him come off the bench for 10-15 a game...hopefully we get stith or this kid

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 03:18:14 PM »
I have a soft spot for lefty PG's. He looks like he has a pretty quick release but shoots pretty low and I'm not sure that translates in the Big East. IDK its interesting. We'll see what happens.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 03:48:16 PM »
The kid averaged six points a game in a JC.  That is horrendous.  Why are we even looking at this kid? It's not like he was an assist machine either.  Chipola as put out some decent guards with scoring averages WAY higher than his.

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 04:14:01 PM »
The kid averaged six points a game in a JC.  That is horrendous.  Why are we even looking at this kid? It's not like he was an assist machine either.  Chipola as put out some decent guards with scoring averages WAY higher than his.

I was thinking the same thing, Marillac.  No wonder, we can't get out of the doldrums.  We've too long "settled" on guppies when we can't get the piranha.

I'd rather have Stith than Armstead.  I've never seen neither one play, but just my opinion via JUCO stats versus high school stats.  Not to mention, Stith will be a four-year player.  It's not like we're getting a JUCO Thornton or Hatten.

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 04:18:50 PM »

Interesting, if you look at the quote part of the post, it says he's averaging 31 ppg and 11 apg.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 04:19:09 PM by Mparty7441 »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 05:28:33 PM »
Mparty - that was in high school.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 05:29:23 PM »
Also, no info on how many minutes per game he played.  So I won't crap on his stats without a sense of context.

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 07:20:19 PM »
FWIW Chipola was the #1 team in the nation most of the year but only 1 player on the team averaged in double figures, that was Casey Mitchell who is going to WVU.  Armstead had the second most 3's made on the team for the year.  Not a lot of stats out there to be found.

sjd8886

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 12:26:38 AM »
well, at the very least, another short pg, mediocre at passing and horrid at scoring would keep boothe company

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 12:28:39 AM »
well, at the very least, another short pg, mediocre at passing and horrid at scoring would keep boothe company

but probably only for a year. lol

sjd8886

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 12:15:58 PM »

but probably only for a year. lol

bc hes a one and done to the nba, right? ;)

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 02:14:36 PM »
Also, no info on how many minutes per game he played.  So I won't crap on his stats without a sense of context.

Sorry can't agree.  If he was averaging 15 or so a game then we can look at the context. He is averaging SIX.  That is two treys and done for the game.  It's not like he's pouring in double-digit assists either. 

If he can't score at the JC level, why would he score at the Big East D-1 level?

Find me one good JC transfer that did not average double-digit points.  They may be a good team, but they play against some real crap here and there.

Hatten played in the same conference and put up ridiculous numbers.  They had a PG two years ago, Stefhon Hannah maybe, that put up some good numbers as well and went on to be a good D-1 player. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 02:16:17 PM by Marillac »