God'sgift Achiuwa - PF - Erie Community College - Nigeria, Africa - ST. JOHN'S

• 304 replies
Re: God's Gift Achiuwa - PF - Erie Community College - Nigeria, Africa
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2011, 02:23:04 PM »
I'm not that impressed with him either but we definitely need some kind of beef next year.  As far as schollies go even if Stith goes we still would not have room for all 3.  Unless the staff thinks Thomas will need another year

11 man class in 2011 + 3 man class in 2012 puts us one over the limit and thats assuming Stith goes.  Maybe they are real confident we have some one and dones?  I don't see that one stud that could jump to the NBA though.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2011, 12:00:01 AM »
I still don't want this kid.  Too raw and too late in his career for us to take a chance on.  Let's get Ashoulo from La Tech for his last season and then use the 'ship in 2012 to go after a top 20 big man.

Not sure how in tuned Alex Kline is into the situation, but it seems you may not get your wish.

St. John's is looking to make scholarships available for 2012 stars Kyle Anderson & Ricardo Gathers, as well as God's Gift '11.

[tweet]http://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop/status/50965963130159104[/tweet]

I've thought for the last month or so that God's Gift is ours to lose.  Going forward (towards the 2012 class), I'd definitely love to nab Anderson and Gathers.  A 2012 class of Anderson, Gathers and Thomas would be incredible.  Adding those guys to the 2011 class coud put us in a position to do some serious damage in 2012-2013.   
I still don't want this kid.  Too raw and too late in his career for us to take a chance on.  Let's get Ashoulo from La Tech for his last season and then use the 'ship in 2012 to go after a top 20 big man.

Not sure how in tuned Alex Kline is into the situation, but it seems you may not get your wish.

St. John's is looking to make scholarships available for 2012 stars Kyle Anderson & Ricardo Gathers, as well as God's Gift '11.

[tweet]http://twitter.com/TheRecruitScoop/status/50965963130159104[/tweet]

I've thought for the last month or so that God's Gift is ours to lose.  Going forward (towards the 2012 class), I'd definitely love to nab Anderson and Gathers.  A 2012 class of Anderson, Gathers and Thomas would be incredible.  Adding those guys to the 2011 class coud put us in a position to do some serious damage in 2012-2013.   

Based on the current class coming in, I don't see how this is possible.  Is there something that I'm missing?

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2011, 09:30:09 AM »

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/04/13/gods-gift-sets-two-more-visits/#more-50636

GG will be visiting Washington this weekend and St. John's Easter weekend.

« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2011, 09:34:34 AM »

http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/04/13/gods-gift-sets-two-more-visits/#more-50636

GG will be visiting Washington this weekend and St. John's Easter weekend.

Sounds good!  Hopefully, we're his last visit and he decides to commit soon afterwards.

« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2011, 12:44:55 PM »
As per Zags tweet,

"Cheikh Mbodj, a 6-10 big man from Grayson County JC, has verbally committed to Cincinnatti."

I wonder if this takes them out of the GG chase?

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2011, 01:03:26 PM »
As per Zags tweet,

"Cheikh Mbodj, a 6-10 big man from Grayson County JC, has verbally committed to Cincinnatti."

I wonder if this takes them out of the GG chase?

GG is SJU's if they want him is what I hear.  He has been an SJU lean for months.

BTW-God visiting a Roman Catholic school on the weekend that we celebrate the death and resurrection of our savior.  Kinda has a nice synergy to it, no???!!!  LOL!!!

kjd01067

« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2011, 01:26:38 PM »
GG is SJU's if they want him is what I hear.  He has been an SJU lean for months.

BTW-God visiting a Roman Catholic school on the weekend that we celebrate the death and resurrection of our savior.  Kinda has a nice synergy to it, no???!!!  LOL!!!

Fordham do you think there is a possibility that SJU doesn't want GG?  Does it have anything to do with what they think their chances are with Gathers and Anderson next year?

« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2011, 08:33:13 AM »

Fordham do you think there is a possibility that SJU doesn't want GG?  Does it have anything to do with what they think their chances are with Gathers and Anderson next year?

Yes it is possible.  I don't want to use the phrase "don't want" but rather they have decided to pursue other options even as you indicate 2012.

I still think more than likely he or Jamari are added as late signees.

Poison

« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2011, 08:35:14 AM »
Who is Jamari?

kjd01067

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2011, 08:37:15 AM »
Not sure if this posted yet but GG was named an All American in NJCAA Division II

http://www.njcaa.org/sports_awards.cfm?category=Award%20Winners&sid=5&divid=2&slid=2

« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2011, 10:23:51 AM »
Any word on how his Washington trip went last weekend? 
Seems to be us or them.
Obviously a major problem last season was rebounding and hopefully he at least could/would be a major part of the solution.
Steve  seems to juggle the lineup but for an all-rebounding mix how about maybe once in a while ...Pelle/Gods gift/Sampson/Garrett/Harrison?

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2011, 04:17:47 PM »
Update on Rivals.com on his upcoming visit this weekend to SJU.  Maurice Wingate really does not add anything new to hwat we already know:

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1213681

Moose

« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2011, 04:44:32 PM »
Update on Rivals.com on his upcoming visit this weekend to SJU.  Maurice Wingate really does not add anything new to hwat we already know:

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1213681

Just maybe that URI and Charlotte are pining for a visit but no indications as to whether or not there are any more scheduled after STJ.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2011, 07:01:33 PM »
If you think Steve Lavin's decision to announce he was going to begin treatment for prostate cancer was going to slow down the 46-year-old coach, think again.

Lavin is giving up his Easter weekend in the hopes of getting highly rated big man God's Gift Achiuwa to sign with St. John's. Achiuwa, a 6-foot-8 power forward from Eric Community College, already has visited Cincinnati. He will visit Washington this weekend and St. John's the following week.

The Red Storm also are very interested in 6-8 post man Jamari Traylor of Chicago who is enrolled at IMG Academy in Florida. Traylor has Indiana, Kansas and Mississippi State high on his list.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/st_john_geared_up_for_possible_gift_P7S35w0mXO8eJqrjKTmu4O#ixzz1K0rZd0Av
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2011, 07:30:09 PM »
Idealy they would like to add both God's Gift and Traylor? I never thought of that possibility and im not sure if i believe it. I dont think steve would risk taking a chance on losing out on Gathers, now that kidis an absolute big east ready big.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

LJSA

« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
I get the feeling Lavin wanted Traylor more, but since it seems like he's now enthralled with Oklahoma State GGA is now back on top for SJU.

MCNPA

« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2011, 08:40:02 AM »
Traylor is coming in officially at about 6'6.5" per the Under Armor combine he was measured at this year.  I'm just not sure that another 6'6" kid is what we need at this point.  If it was in lieu of Meikle, then I'd say fantastic, but we really need a post guy with some reasonable amount of height.  God's Gift is more in the range of 6'8"-6'9" and more of a PF/C.  He also spreads our ships out a bit.  If we didn't get a commit from Meikle, then Traylor sounds like a great fit.  As it stands though, we don't need another sub-6'8" player IMO.