Jamal Branch - PG - Texas A&M Transfer - ST. JOHN'S

• 270 replies
Re: Jamal Branch - PG - Texas A&M Transfer - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #200 on: January 10, 2012, 05:35:09 PM »
They are both from Kansas City.

« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2012, 07:50:56 PM »
As to how much eligibility he has left-he could opt to sit out the entire next season in which case he would have 3 full seasons of eligibility left. But with a talented player this is unlikely and in this case additionally he plays a position of need so it is even less likely. We all know he will play as soon as eligible next season.

« Reply #202 on: January 10, 2012, 08:02:39 PM »
As to how much eligibility he has left-he could opt to sit out the entire next season in which case he would have 3 full seasons of eligibility left. But with a talented player this is unlikely and in this case additionally he plays a position of need so it is even less likely. We all know he will play as soon as eligible next season.

He has 3.5 eligibility left. He'll start in the spring like Amir Garrett did.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kjd01067

« Reply #203 on: January 10, 2012, 08:16:50 PM »

That is what I thought as well Dave. I have never heard of this 2.5 stuff others are talking about. He has to sit out a year as a "punishment" for transferring but he doesn't lose a year in addition to that. Maybe I'm wrong but I think he has 3.5 too

sju89tr

« Reply #204 on: January 10, 2012, 08:18:08 PM »

I believe he has 3 years left and next year despite playing only half a seson it counts as a whole season.

« Reply #205 on: January 10, 2012, 08:25:20 PM »

Wrong. He played 1/2 yr this year-what 11 games-thus he used one year of eligibility-his freshman yr. If he plays 2nd semester next season he uses up his sophmore year of eligibility-he will then have 2 more yrs left. In essence you do lose 1 yr of playing time by transferring mid-year unless as I stated in my last post you sit out the entire season next yr and would have 3 full seasons left thus losing only 1/2 yr of actually playing eligibility. You can look it up. Of this I am sure.

« Reply #206 on: January 10, 2012, 08:26:45 PM »
I'm hearing he has 9 years of eligibility left and will be in the Big East longer than Yancy Gates

DFF6

« Reply #207 on: January 10, 2012, 09:06:06 PM »
I'm hearing he has 9 years of eligibility left and will be in the Big East longer than Yancy Gates

;D

Poison

« Reply #208 on: January 10, 2012, 10:14:56 PM »
No one has been here long than Scoop Jardine

Marillac

« Reply #209 on: January 10, 2012, 11:12:44 PM »

Lol c'mon Dave, you are better than that!  The kid will be a soph athletically and will have three years of eligibility.  Essentially that three years becomes 2.5 because he won't be eligible until the fall semester ends.  If he redshirts or decides to pickup baseball, he'll get the full three years :)

« Reply #210 on: January 10, 2012, 11:19:25 PM »
manbearpig says none of u guys must be college athletes

think of it this way

guy plays his whole frosh year n transfers he  sits out  then he has 3 years left at the new school

why would any player in his right mind transfer mid season if hes only going to have 2.5 years of eligibility left at the new school?

u have 5 years to play 8 semesters.  jamal branch will have spring 2013 all of 2014 2015 2016

LJSA

« Reply #211 on: January 10, 2012, 11:24:30 PM »
I don't know who is right, but I always thought someone in the same situation would  have 3.5 seasons left. I don't ever remember anyone getting short-changed after transferring midseason.

desco80

« Reply #212 on: January 10, 2012, 11:28:39 PM »
There are no half seasons of eligibility!   Players elect to transfer midseason because it lets them play again the following season, albeit after December exams.  Otherwise they would have to wait till November of the year after.   Jamal has 3 years of eligibility left.  If he wants he can sit out all next season and his 3 years will begin in November 2013, but he won't do that because he wants to play next season.  So, he'll be on the court December 2012 and finish that season (which will count as his second season of college bball).    I understand why you guys are saying "in effect" he has 2 1/2 years of eligibility left.   But that may confuse other readers.   If you suit up and play half a season for a team, that still counts as a full year of eligibility.  The NCAA doesn't divide seasons into halves.  Transfer requirements on the other hand do require you to sit out a full year, or two  consecutive academic semesters.

I really can't believe this conversation has gone on as long as it has. 

« Reply #213 on: January 10, 2012, 11:33:32 PM »
Bottom line he is a sophomore next year.  Sorry if 2.5 confuses you but it's true.  I guess you can say 2.7 if you take actual games rather than semesters.

Outside of an injury waiver if you play 1 second of 1 game that equals 1 year of eligibility used.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

desco80

« Reply #214 on: January 10, 2012, 11:37:33 PM »
Bottom line he is a sophomore next year.  Sorry if 2.5 confuses you but it's true.  I guess you can say 2.7 if you take actual games rather than semesters.

Outside of an injury waiver if you play 1 second of 1 game that equals 1 year of eligibility used.

100% correct.  Next year Branch is a sophomore.  Plain and simple. 

LJSA

« Reply #215 on: January 11, 2012, 12:13:03 AM »
I wonder if every single one of the midseason transfers this season knew they were losing up to 40 games off their career by not waiting until May to transfer...

« Reply #216 on: January 11, 2012, 12:54:15 AM »

You are as wrong as the night is long.

« Reply #217 on: January 11, 2012, 12:56:57 AM »
I wonder if every single one of the midseason transfers this season knew they were losing up to 40 games off their career by not waiting until May to transfer...

No, they're as dumb as you.

I'm only kidding so please don't rip me a new one.  I hope they did know because it's the truth.  And even if they didn't I would hope both staffs would have made it clear before they made such an important decision.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:59:58 AM by yankcranker »

« Reply #218 on: January 11, 2012, 03:17:43 PM »
Apparently, Jamal is friends with Gathers. Hopefully he can help convince him to recommit.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/01/11/branch-wants-gathers-to-join-him-at-st-johns/

DFF6

« Reply #219 on: January 11, 2012, 03:31:26 PM »
Apparently, Jamal is friends with Gathers. Hopefully he can help convince him to recommit.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/01/11/branch-wants-gathers-to-join-him-at-st-johns/

I am sure Dave was already aware of this connection, given his comments that Gathers is within our grasp.   ;)