Moe and the 2012 Draft

• 982 replies
Re: Moe and the 2012 Draft
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 09:25:36 AM »
http://www.hoopsworld.com/2012-13-rookie-salary-scale

The difference between late first round and late lottery is ~$1M per year.  But $850k x 2 years gauranteed (30th overall pick) is still worth a serious look. 

Best indication that he'll stay is that Charlie Villanueva faced the same situation in 2004: probably a late first rounder as a frosh who stayed for his soph year and was the 7th overall pick in 2005.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 09:25:55 AM »
Two words: Omar & Cook. And Cook was better than Harkless.

Was he?  I'm not quite sure.

I think Cook gave us an advantage at point guard in every single game. I wish he was as smart off the court as he was on it. From UK, to Uconn, to BC, to GTown, to Nova, he came to play against the big boys. Yes, he had more depth on his team, but he didn't have a lot of talent.

If I remember correctly, Bangura was so bad at first that Shaw started. With him I think were Glover, Jessie and Cuffe. Not exactly an imposing front line. There wasn't much help from the bench in the way of offense, but some of those guys played defense.

Cook was tremendous, but the NBA doesn't often take guys in the first round who lose to Fordham and Hofstra. As great as he was he could be equally terrible. He was a freshman, but that never occurred to him.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:27:05 AM by Poison »

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 09:39:47 AM »
Anyone else think he is a top 10 pick right now? His potential is off the charts. Although next year, he's the # 1 pick imo

Moose

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 09:41:22 AM »
Two words: Omar & Cook. And Cook was better than Harkless.

Was he?  I'm not quite sure.

I think Cook gave us an advantage at point guard in every single game. I wish he was as smart off the court as he was on it. From UK, to Uconn, to BC, to GTown, to Nova, he came to play against the big boys. Yes, he had more depth on his team, but he didn't have a lot of talent.

If I remember correctly, Bangura was so bad at first that Shaw started. With him I think were Glover, Jessie and Cuffe. Not exactly an imposing front line. There wasn't much help from the bench in the way of offense, but some of those guys played defense.

Cook was tremendous, but the NBA doesn't often take guys in the first round who lose to Fordham and Hofstra. As great as he was he could be equally terrible. He was a freshman, but that never occurred to him.

Shaw started because him and Omar knew eachother well from AAU circuits and played off eachother tremendously.  I think Alpha came the next year but I could very well be wrong with that.  Cuffe and Glover were solid up front IMO.  That team underachieved because of the incompetency of Jarvis I feel.  No doubt Cook was the goods.  If he stayed with Hatten I can only imagine the damage we could have done.
Remember who broke the Slice news

SJU79

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 09:42:20 AM »
Just THIS SECOND got this info...MO might test the waters but hes 99% coming back. Suprisingly his premeier concern was being able to play at the 3/4 and never the 5 and wated some assurences that a big was being brought in. 

Moose

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 09:42:33 AM »
Anyone else think he is a top 10 pick right now? His potential is off the charts. Although next year, he's the # 1 pick imo

I don't think he's in the Top 10 now.  I do think he would be first round pick but once you get out of the lottery you can end up anywhere, including 28 or 29.  Next year no question in my mind he's Top 10 pick.

Moose

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 09:43:04 AM »
Just THIS SECOND got this info...MO might test the waters but hes 99% coming back. Suprisingly his premeier concern was being able to play at the 3/4 and never the 5 and wated some assurences that a big was being brought in. 

But he can' test the waters anymore.  Once you declare you can no longer come back.  The rules sadly have changed.

boo3

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 09:49:55 AM »

But he can' test the waters anymore.  Once you declare you can no longer come back.  The rules sadly have changed.

He can get an idea from coaches and advisors though.

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 10:03:20 AM »

This is great news.  I assume by "test the waters" he just means talking to scouts/coaches/etc. to get an idea of where he would be drafted, but not "declare without hiring an agent" as kids have typically done in years past. 

Sounds like we really need Obekpa or another real big body to ensure his return...

kjd01067

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 10:12:29 AM »

This is great news.  I think we can be a very good team with Moe next year.  Without Moe we are an average to good team depending on what recruits we land.

mkras99

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 10:13:06 AM »

I don't think that's right.  I think the window to withdraw has gotten much shorter but you can still declare once and come back.

sju89tr

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2012, 10:14:53 AM »

Can't speak for 7- but I think he means that he will put out feelers to see where he currently can get drafted. I would think if he is not a lock to go by the mid 20's, he will be back. This is a very smart kid and wants the best for the future, not just getting a 3 year contract then out of the league.

You are correct once you declare no turning back.

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 10:18:17 AM »

This is great news.  I assume by "test the waters" he just means talking to scouts/coaches/etc. to get an idea of where he would be drafted, but not "declare without hiring an agent" as kids have typically done in years past. 

Sounds like we really need Obekpa or another real big body to ensure his return...
Players get an opportunity to work out in front of NBA teams and get feedback where they need to improve.  Mo will hear he needs to improve his strength and gain 10+ lbs, improve his handle, and polish up his 15-20 footer.

That being said, us knowing the hard worker he is, I see Mo going as high as #3 up to #10-12 in the lottery in 2013 depending on his improvement next season.  Effectively, much like other players who strategically stay, he'll be earning money while staying in school.  I'm surprised the 2A doesn't crack down on that too -  :2funny:

Poison

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 10:29:52 AM »
I know it was far from ideal but Moe should know that his ability to play with teams like Duke for example inside will only help him when he eventually plays in the league. He was asked to play inside, and he pulled down over 8 boards per game.

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 10:38:24 AM »
I take moe over sullinger

kob24

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 10:47:30 AM »
I thought u can only test the waters once and that's it

mkras99

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 10:54:46 AM »

That's right.

derk

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 11:09:13 AM »

That's right.

Don't know what's right but on the broadcast yesterday they said there's no turning back. Once you declare, you're in.

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 11:16:48 AM »

That's right.

Don't know what's right but on the broadcast yesterday they said there's no turning back. Once you declare, you're in.
But before declaration, the feedback from the various NBA sources helps give a little clearer picture of how the player stands in terms of development and where they need to go.

Tha Kid

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »
nbadraft.net has him as the #15 prospect THIS year.  That could be a problem for us.
"I drink and I know things"