Justin Burrell

• 95 replies
Re: Justin Burrell
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 09:58:20 PM »
So 1 guy makes the NBA and he's a Lavin guy. Another is in Japan, but he's Norms?

Why can't both guys get credit?

That's what I'm saying

They did. Try reading again.

I did, see Mooses post

Moose

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 10:01:56 PM »
So 1 guy makes the NBA and he's a Lavin guy. Another is in Japan, but he's Norms?

Why can't both guys get credit?

That's what I'm saying

They did. Try reading again.

I did, see Mooses post

Dragging me into this?
Remember who broke the Slice news

boo3

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2012, 10:06:03 PM »
Agreed.  Without Norm, Justin would never be playing in Japan.... He'd be in the NBA.

He works hard enough, I bet he gets there at some point. 

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2012, 10:12:20 PM »
Agreed.  Without Norm, Justin would never be playing in Japan.... He'd be in the NBA.

Without Norm, we would have never heard of Burrell.

It's a shame Stith left, under this staff he could have been the next Chris Paul

boo3

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 10:39:55 PM »

It's a shame Stith left, under this staff he could have been the next Chris Paul

This one is right up at the top of your all time asinine posts.  Burrell was a top 50 player.  Everyone heard of him.

This thread is about Justin, not Norm or Lavin.   That being said, you would have to be a complete nice person to compare which staff would be better for a player's potential future as a player.  END OF STORY.

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 11:34:12 PM »
Baldi must you always make it about the same issue? C'mon man.

Justin is doing well and hopefully he continues to do so.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 11:49:18 PM »
I don't think Burrell would be playing for money if it weren't for Lavin and Co.  He really honed his fundamentals more under The current staff.  DJ too.  Anybody who says these kids didn't undergo a complete transformation under current staff is nuts.  Look how much better guys like Larry wright, CJ, Edmondson, Quincy Roberts did when they left to play for other staffs.  Bottom line is that Norm and his staff were awful at coaching basketball.  There was actually some talent there and it thrived when Lavin came on board.  Some of Norm's kids were more talented than I ever realized but it never came through under Norm. 

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 11:52:37 PM »
I'd like to think Burrell knows better than any of us and he credited both staffs. 
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

LJSA

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 12:17:20 AM »

This one is right up at the top of your all time asinine posts.  Burrell was a top 50 player.  Everyone heard of him.

This thread is about Justin, not Norm or Lavin.   That being said, you would have to be a complete nice person to compare which staff would be better for a player's potential future as a player.  END OF STORY.

Recruiting is going well now, so he can't complain about that.

He's running out of topics to piss people off with, so he brings up the the "Norm deserves credit" argument every time he can. He's praying Nolan and Chandler don't make it so he can bitch about no backup plan in place.

crgreen

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 12:27:18 AM »

Soooo....who gets the credit for Dele Coker being the 2nd leading rebounder (13.2) and shot blocker (3.8) in the Eastern Basketball Alliance?   ;D

Moose

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 12:52:18 AM »

Soooo....who gets the credit for Dele Coker being the 2nd leading rebounder (13.2) and shot blocker (3.8) in the Eastern Basketball Alliance?   ;D

I've barely heard of any people in that league
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 01:56:44 AM »
Wow....Nice to hear he is doin well!

Foad

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 10:40:11 AM »
I don't think Burrell would be playing for money if it weren't for Lavin and Co.  He really honed his fundamentals more under The current staff.  DJ too.  Anybody who says these kids didn't undergo a complete transformation under current staff is nuts.  Look how much better guys like Larry wright, CJ, Edmondson, Quincy Roberts did when they left to play for other staffs.  Bottom line is that Norm and his staff were awful at coaching basketball.  There was actually some talent there and it thrived when Lavin came on board.  Some of Norm's kids were more talented than I ever realized but it never came through under Norm.

What a load of baloney. Burrell didn't "really hone" anything under Lavin. He was a better player as a freshman under Norm than he was as a senior. DJ showed the same progression all talented motivated players show. Larry Wright was exactly the same one dimensional player at Oakland as he was at SJ: 9 points at SJ as a soph, 9 ppg at Oakland as a senior. Quincy Roberts had the benefit of TGAPL's tutelage at SJ for an entire year. He only got "better" when he got out from under TGAPThumb. Edmundson was awful at SJ, it wouldn't have mattered if the baby Jesus was coaching him, he was awful, appalling, bad, atrocious and not particularly good. As was Jackson. They were overmatched, as are most freshmen everywhere. Blaming Norm for their shortcomings or the lack or Norm for their success is like blaming your alarm clock for the sun coming up. Hardy didn't get better under Lavin, he was the same player as the year before, the same player he was a Rucker - the difference was that he had the ball in his hands. Why didn't Stith suddenly get better? Why was Coker awful? Why did Polee not work out? Was TGAPL saving his magical powers?

Poison

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2012, 10:47:02 AM »
From the Northwestern game on, something went off in Burrell. He started playing with fire again.

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2012, 11:04:07 AM »
Loved JB to death. Lost his confidence early in his sophomore year and never fully recovered. We need a kid with his toughness inside.
He was also consistently outplayed by Evans.  They never really clicked together which was too bad. 

MCNPA

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2012, 11:20:29 AM »

What a load of baloney. Burrell didn't "really hone" anything under Lavin. He was a better player as a freshman under Norm than he was as a senior. DJ showed the same progression all talented motivated players show. Larry Wright was exactly the same one dimensional player at Oakland as he was at SJ: 9 points at SJ as a soph, 9 ppg at Oakland as a senior. Quincy Roberts had the benefit of TGAPL's tutelage at SJ for an entire year. He only got "better" when he got out from under TGAPThumb. Edmundson was awful at SJ, it wouldn't have mattered if the baby Jesus was coaching him, he was awful, appalling, bad, atrocious and not particularly good. As was Jackson. They were overmatched, as are most freshmen everywhere. Blaming Norm for their shortcomings or the lack or Norm for their success is like blaming your alarm clock for the sun coming up. Hardy didn't get better under Lavin, he was the same player as the year before, the same player he was a Rucker - the difference was that he had the ball in his hands. Why didn't Stith suddenly get better? Why was Coker awful? Why did Polee not work out? Was TGAPL saving his magical powers?

Polee was getting better.  Had his best game against Gonzaga.  Not every player turns into an amazing one.  I agree Burrell's best season was his first.  Specifically earlier in the year before Norm and staff started messing around with his game.  He improved again once Lavin, Dunlap and Hines came on board.  His position and footwork improved a ton as a senior.  He wasn't quite the same athlete as a senior as he was as a frosh, but he stopped roaming and had a defined role. 

Norm did nothing to make these players better.  Norm couldn't figure out that Dwight Hardy was starting material.  As a senior he was a Wooden award finalist. I didn't see anybody get much better under Norm.  Last two seasons I've seen majority of players, both Norm's and Lavin's get better.  I don't understand how you don't see it?  I'm not crediting Lavin alone.  Dunlap, Hines and others have a LOT to do with it.

I don't blame Norm for anything.  I just think he really sucked as a coach.  I don't think Lavin is a coaching genius either.  I do think Lavin is a lot smarter manager of a team and has much greater understanding on what it takes to be successfully in college ball.  Lavin surrounded himself with a staff that could really coach, and it made a monstrous difference with Norm's players.  Most of Norm's kids earning money right now playing ball are dong so because of improvement their senior year.  It was dramatic.

Tha Kid

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2012, 11:51:56 AM »
Is it possible to ban Bobre and Baldi from all threads intended to be complimentary of former players, especially those who played for Norm at some point?

This is getting so so old.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2012, 12:13:59 PM »
Is it possible to ban Bobre and Baldi from all threads intended to be complimentary of former players, especially those who played for Norm at some point?

This is getting so so old.
The truth hurts I know but I hope it never gets old.  I think it's ironic that Sean averaged 9.7 ppg and 6.6 rpg in 22 minutes per game for Goetlingen (Paris' team in Germany) almost exactly what he averaged as a soph at SJU when he eclipsed JB.  Haven't seen too many complimentary posts about him so consider this the first which is long overdue.  If it bothers you so be it.

Foad

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2012, 12:19:35 PM »
Norm did nothing to make these players better.  Norm couldn't figure out that Dwight Hardy was starting material.  As a senior he was a Wooden award finalist. I didn't see anybody get much better under Norm.

You cannot seriously be arguing that TGAPL turned Hardy into a good basketball player between the spring when he was hired and the fall when he coached his first game. You simply cannot be making that argument. He made a personnel decision. He said here Dwight, have the ball. That's what turned him into a Wooden award winner.

You didn't see Paris Horne get better under Norm? Kennedy? Gene Lawrence? Evans? No one? What I saw was some players stay the same, some get better and some get worse. It's the same thing I've been seeing in college BB for 30 years. Those are the only three results. None of them happen in 3 months and none of them happen for one reason. It's just as likely that Hardy wouldn't have had the year he had as a senior if Norm had thrown him to the dogs as a junior as it isn't. Prove it not. Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Last two seasons I've seen majority of players, both Norm's and Lavin's get better.  I don't understand how you don't see it?  I'm not crediting Lavin alone.  Dunlap, Hines and others have a LOT to do with it.

[interior monologue]
For GOD SAKE can some one write one stupid post without CAPITALIZING a word for emphasis. FOR GOD SAKE. One SINGLE post. One single SOLITARY POST where the author doesn't feel the need to EMPHASIZE some stupid RANDOM word. If we were chatting, as ONE does, would you randomly SCREAM a word in the middle of a SENTENCE? I had a stack of PANCAKES for breakfast. I'm wearing a RED shirt. I'm typing in CAPITAL letters. Look, EXCLAMATION marks!!!!!  Winkie, winkie, WINKIE!!!!!! God I LOVE Lavin. I want to HAVE HIS BABIES. He's infallible like the POPE. Everything good that happens in the world is due to his beneficence. Yes, and no doubt Hines and all the other college of cardinals others had a LOT to do with it. Archbishop Dunlap OBVIOUSLY. But Tony CHILES? Doubt it. I don't like his BODY language. That other guy from RICE or wherever? Maybe, but I wouldn't trust him in the sacristy with the ball boys. Better safe than sorry. But NOT Norm. NO WAY!!!!!

Thanks I feel BETTER now. 
[/interior monologue]

Yes, I see it: most players get better as they get older. That is in fact the theory behind the university. Math majors multiply better as seniors than they did as freshmen. History majors know more dates. Artists draw prettier pictures. Some of TGAPL's players get better. Some of Norm's players got better. Some of Jarvis's players got better, some got worse, some stayed the same. In general they mature mentally, they work out, they practice. That's the point. Yes, Norm was a lousy coach. Also, the ocean is damp. His players failed to thrive because of his ineptitude. Yes. Bringing in someone who was not completely incompetent certainly advanced the prospects of the players. That's obvious. OTOH blaming Cedric Jackson's atrocious freshmen year on Norm is absurd. Crediting Quincy Roberts year at Grambling to the lack of Norm is similarly nonsense.

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2012, 01:14:22 PM »
Loved JB to death. Lost his confidence early in his sophomore year and never fully recovered. We need a kid with his toughness inside.
He was also consistently outplayed by Evans.  They never really clicked together which was too bad. 

Don't agree with that.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.