Abdul Malik Abu - PF - Kimball Union Academy - Boston, MA - NC STATE

• 181 replies
Re: Abdul Malik Abu - PF - Kimball Union Academy - Boston, MA
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 12:29:28 AM »
St. John's also was reported to "offer" BeeJay Anya yet never recruited him which I confirmed by both parties. St. John's has strong recruiting ties in Philly, NY, Florida, Texas, LA, and CA. No one on the staff really has ties to DC or New England areas which they don't really waste their time chasing recruits in the end they won't have a shot for. I see Abdul Malik-Abu as one of those guys. I hope I'm wrong and they have a shot at him because he's a beast. He's built like a brick, is quick and agile.

I first saw him a few years ago at camp and put together the weakest highlight tape on him ever. He was really raw but knew he had serious potential and wanted to get the first footage of him out there. You can see how far he's come in just two years. I won't see his AAU team that much this summer since they left Reebok and went to Nike but I'll ask Ty, his coach, about his recruitment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W942a7haFqE

Thought Rico had some DC area ties?

Not really nor does he do too much on recruiting front. He'll evaluate talent but not in the trenches like TC
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 12:31:25 AM »
St. John's also was reported to "offer" BeeJay Anya yet never recruited him which I confirmed by both parties. St. John's has strong recruiting ties in Philly, NY, Florida, Texas, LA, and CA. No one on the staff really has ties to DC or New England areas which they don't really waste their time chasing recruits in the end they won't have a shot for. I see Abdul Malik-Abu as one of those guys. I hope I'm wrong and they have a shot at him because he's a beast. He's built like a brick, is quick and agile.

I first saw him a few years ago at camp and put together the weakest highlight tape on him ever. He was really raw but knew he had serious potential and wanted to get the first footage of him out there. You can see how far he's come in just two years. I won't see his AAU team that much this summer since they left Reebok and went to Nike but I'll ask Ty, his coach, about his recruitment.

Not really nor does he do too much on recruiting front. He'll evaluate talent but not in the trenches like TC
What are your insider thoughts on how TC does recruiting

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 12:44:15 AM »

Proof is in the pudding. Obviously had to roll the dice but has landed a lot of tremendous recruits. Swing and misses have been on 1st round talent

Moose

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 12:46:25 AM »

Proof is in the pudding. Obviously had to roll the dice but has landed a lot of tremendous recruits. Swing and misses have been on 1st round talent

Yea

I'm more curious about a guy like Darrick. Hardly heard his name mentioned all year
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 12:47:31 AM »

Yea

I'm more curious about a guy like Darrick. Hardly heard his name mentioned all year

We'll save it for another thread...

LJSA

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 01:49:27 AM »
The thread discussing his leaving the staff?

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2013, 12:26:23 PM »
He's big time. Don't think St. John's will get involved. They don't do too much recruiting out of New England area.

Any clue who we are heavily involved with?  With God's Gift and Orlando being seniors and JaKarr possibly leaving early, Lavin is going to need to bring in some height

Moose

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2013, 12:30:24 PM »
He's big time. Don't think St. John's will get involved. They don't do too much recruiting out of New England area.

Any clue who we are heavily involved with?  With God's Gift and Orlando being seniors and JaKarr possibly leaving early, Lavin is going to need to bring in some height

Height
Scoring
Rebounding

Oh there is the whole Harrison mystery too.

Needless to say both 14 and 15 are shaping up as vital classes.

paultzman

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 11:15:01 AM »
From Alex Kline

"After the second live period, I may cut my list down," he told Rivals.com. "It continues to grow so my goal is to manage it somehow."

With a boatload of offers, Abu is staying in contact the most with Florida, Iowa State, Kansas State, UConn, Providence, Maryland, St. John's, Duke and Wisconsin. Unconcerned about choosing a program simply for its name, Abu is transforming into a very productive and versatile combo forward. With the ability to play in the post, and one he improves his handle, on the perimeter, the No. 50 player in the Rivals150 could skyrocket to the top tier of the rankings.

While the four-star prospect and teammate, Jared Terrell, are good friends, there is no definitive answer yet as to whether or not they will attempt a package deal. With various options for the rising seniors, UConn appears to be an interesting one, that has now turned complex because of the signing of NC State transfer Rodney Purvis.

If Abu and Terrell do attempt to explore the package option, it will be interesting to see what UConn's pitch is, among many others schools on the recruiting trail."

paultzman

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2013, 03:54:56 PM »
In LA ;
“@HoopDreamsmag: Abdul Malik Abu finished with 20pt 8reb and Jared Wilson-Frame had 15pts 7reb in Expressions win over Arkansas Wings”

paultzman

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2013, 10:07:45 AM »
stats from EYBL Va.;

Abdul Malik Abu

Expressions Elite 80, Baltimore Elite 57: 16 points, 4-8 (1-1 3-point), 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 turnover, 2 blocks.

Expressions Elite 81, Jackson Tigers 74: 4 points, 2-2 (2-2 3-point) 4-4 FT, 2 rebounds, 0 assists, 4 turnovers.

Expressions Elite 67, Alabama Challenge 54: 28 points, 10-18 (2-4 3-point), 6-8 FT, 10 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 turnover, 2 blocks.

“@TravisHines21: Stats and storylines from Iowa State targets at the EYBL http://bit.ly/164yK7W
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 10:09:22 AM by paultzman »

MCNPA

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2013, 11:02:48 AM »
stats from EYBL Va.;

Abdul Malik Abu

Expressions Elite 80, Baltimore Elite 57: 16 points, 4-8 (1-1 3-point), 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 turnover, 2 blocks.

Expressions Elite 81, Jackson Tigers 74: 4 points, 2-2 (2-2 3-point) 4-4 FT, 2 rebounds, 0 assists, 4 turnovers.

Expressions Elite 67, Alabama Challenge 54: 28 points, 10-18 (2-4 3-point), 6-8 FT, 10 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 turnover, 2 blocks.

“@TravisHines21: Stats and storylines from Iowa State targets at the EYBL http://bit.ly/164yK7W

Wow, kid can hit open threes too.  This kid I'd love to land. 

Chilleb

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2013, 11:22:20 AM »
stats from EYBL Va.;

Abdul Malik Abu

Stats don't add up for second game, if he went 2-2 from three that's already 6 points. They got him for 4

gman

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2013, 11:35:03 AM »
stats from EYBL Va.;

Abdul Malik Abu

Stats don't add up for second game, if he went 2-2 from three that's already 6 points. They got him for 4

My guess is he had 14 and they forgot the 1. 

paultzman

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
Recently I have read numerous references to Abu's great improvement, much more of a well rounded player;

“@JonRothstein: Best potential college Glue Guy I saw at Boo Williams this weekend was Abdul Malik-Abu. 6-8. NOSE FOR THE BALL. Brings intangibles.”

crgreen

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2013, 10:39:04 AM »

Sorry this response is a bit out of date - just saw this quote when looking at this mornings comments.   Aren't 2 of our kids from New England schools, including the reigning Big East Rookie of the Year, whom we TWICE signed out of Brewster Academy in New Hampshire?  Seems like SOMEONE is recruiting New England....

Chilleb

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2013, 11:34:19 AM »
Recently I have read numerous references to Abu's great improvement, much more of a well rounded player;

“@JonRothstein: Best potential college Glue Guy I saw at Boo Williams this weekend was Abdul Malik-Abu. 6-8. NOSE FOR THE BALL. Brings intangibles.”
Saw this kid in person , 6-8 might be pushing it too. But he is a tank, and skilled

sju89tr

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2013, 12:03:44 PM »

Saw this kid in person , 6-8 might be pushing it too. But he is a tank, and skilled

6-7 likely but he is already physically ready for college. He likes the perimeter. I did not see him try anything creating his own shot.   

Moose

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »

Sorry this response is a bit out of date - just saw this quote when looking at this mornings comments.   Aren't 2 of our kids from New England schools, including the reigning Big East Rookie of the Year, whom we TWICE signed out of Brewster Academy in New Hampshire?  Seems like SOMEONE is recruiting New England....

Karr is an Ohio kid.  By all indications these two kids are FROM New England didn't just pick out a prep school.  Who is the other kid your referring to?

gman

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2013, 12:47:16 PM »
Moose, guessing Hooper is the other