Who Transfers?

• 575 replies

paultzman

Re: Who Transfers?
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2016, 02:03:19 PM »
Amar... Not a big east player
I think from a talent standpoint, he is a he most dispensable. RF is a stretch 4 and a better shooter., Jones provides the. Big body. That said, he has a great attitude and helps w the Euro connection.

Like the kid, but for his size Amar does not rebound well & obviously has trouble defending. I guess he should merit some latitude as a sophomore, but just don't see him having much of a role next year.

paultzman

« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2016, 02:05:24 PM »
Would hate to see Slice leave. But Matt is an excellent recruiter. If Slice left would like to replace him w Dunlap if feasable.

Dunlap has a head coaching job on West Coast, his desired location. Agree a guy with his attributes would be helpful though.

Foad

« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2016, 02:10:03 PM »
If he left for a HC job, you could understand it.  If he were to bail for an assistants job anywhere else, that would be very damaging.  Would be saying that he can't recruit the big fish for St. John's. If that happens, this whole thing could blow up.

Jesus get off the ledge. If he leaves they'd put out a press release saying 'thanks for helping to right the program & good luck in your new position' and Mullin would hire some other guy and two days later Zach B would write an article in the Post about how great the new guy is. They've already proven they can recruit big fish. Nothing's in danger of blowing up unless BR takes Mullin goes with him when he goes. Now that would be a PR disaster.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 02:10:44 PM by Foad »

« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2016, 02:12:25 PM »
Amar... Not a big east player
I think from a talent standpoint, he is a he most dispensable. RF is a stretch 4 and a better shooter., Jones provides the. Big body. That said, he has a great attitude and helps w the Euro connection.

Like the kid, but for his size Amar does not rebound well & obviously has trouble defending. I guess he should merit some latitude as a sophomore, but just don't see him having much of a role next year.

Someone has to be 12 or 13th guy. Seems perfect role for him. Energetic, cheers for his teammates and if pressed into service he has played before.

« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2016, 02:14:40 PM »
If he left for a HC job, you could understand it.  If he were to bail for an assistants job anywhere else, that would be very damaging.  Would be saying that he can't recruit the big fish for St. John's. If that happens, this whole thing could blow up.

Jesus get off the ledge. If he leaves they'd put out a press release saying 'thanks for helping to right the program & good luck in your new position' and Mullin would hire some other guy and two days later Zach B would write an article in the Post about how great the new guy is. They've already proven they can recruit big fish. Nothing's in danger of blowing up unless BR takes Mullin goes with him when he goes. Now that would be a PR disaster.

Yeah if Mullin quit, whether or not you think he will be a good coach would throw the program into chaos at this point.
Do think you are underestimating what the loss of Slice WOULD be though.

Foad

« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2016, 02:24:20 PM »
Yeah if Mullin quit, whether or not you think he will be a good coach would throw the program into chaos at this point. Do think you are underestimating what the loss of Slice WOULD be though.

Again, from a PR stand point it would depend on where he went and why. Obviously he is the guy you want in terms of recruiting. But if he left and Mullin brought in Ed Pinkney or Patrick Ewing to replace him or an ace recruiter like Norm Roberts that's not much of a PR hit.

« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2016, 02:26:57 PM »
Yeah if Mullin quit, whether or not you think he will be a good coach would throw the program into chaos at this point. Do think you are underestimating what the loss of Slice WOULD be though.

Again, from a PR stand point it would depend on where he went and why. Obviously he is the guy you want in terms of recruiting. But if he left and Mullin brought in Ed Pinkney or Patrick Ewing to replace him or an ace recruiter like Norm Roberts that's not much of a PR hit.

If that last thing happened I would become a Cuse or Duke fan

goredmen

« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2016, 02:32:34 PM »
Outside of Rutgers, this is the worst program in major college hoops....and ya'll wonder why someone would leave?

Slice knew what he was walking into when he left UK to come here. He, like everybody with a brain, knew year one was going to be rough no matter what before he signed

« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2016, 02:40:59 PM »

Elevate Richmond to a real coaching role.  Easy

TONYD3

« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2016, 03:01:08 PM »
Richmond no coaching experience plus 24 year old st. Jean plus inexperienced Mullin. That seems like a great idea.

boo3

« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »
Outside of Rutgers, this is the worst program in major college hoops....and ya'll wonder why someone would leave?

Slice knew what he was walking into when he left UK to come here. He, like everybody with a brain, knew year one was going to be rough no matter what before he signed

Why leave his good buddy from BK, Mullin then?  Tailor moving?

« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2016, 03:10:18 PM »
Richmond no coaching experience plus 24 year old st. Jean plus inexperienced Mullin. That seems like a great idea.

Agreed, but it would solve the PR issue.  Let's be honest, we need the staff to develop just as much as we need the players to improve.  Maybe more.

derk

« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2016, 03:20:30 PM »
None of this makes any sense, rumor or not. Why uproot from the best program in the country, come back home to what you know is going to be a hellaciously bad year. Get married to a local gal I think. Make some recruiting inroads and get ready for the turnaround that starts now - AND THEN LEAVE !

goredmen

« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2016, 03:20:39 PM »

Why leave his good buddy from BK, Mullin then?  Tailor moving?

No idea why yet, but he definitely didn't leave UK because he thought he'd have a better chance of winning somewhere else

goredmen

« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2016, 03:23:21 PM »
None of this makes any sense, rumor or not. Why uproot from the best program in the country, come back home to what you know is going to be a hellaciously bad year. Get married to a local gal I think. Make some recruiting inroads and get ready for the turnaround that starts now - AND THEN LEAVE !

My thoughts exactly. Can't see it being for any sort of decent head coaching job somewhere after he was a disaster at Manhattan, and if he was really trying to be a HC again this quickly he would have never left UK

Poison

« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2016, 03:37:00 PM »
Maybe he wants to be there for the Tastes of Kentucky Crystal Meth Cook-off Festival? Can't blame him for that.

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2016, 03:55:31 PM »
Maybe he wants to retire. I know he's only 55 but he's had a successful career and I saw somebody suggest he got married and he wants to enjoy that life. Maybe he wanted to help his buddy Mullin create some even stronger in roads and relationships with the 17 and 18 class. Maybe he doesn't want to spend his time chasing down and convincing immature teenagers and has a good business venture that will allow him to make a lot of money with not a lot of responsibility and enjoy the married life.

derk

« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2016, 04:04:52 PM »
Don't know if true or not but someone on RM floated the "rumor" that he and Matt A don't get along.

« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2016, 04:06:14 PM »
Maybe he wants to retire. I know he's only 55 but he's had a successful career and I saw somebody suggest he got married and he wants to enjoy that life. Maybe he wanted to help his buddy Mullin create some even stronger in roads and relationships with the 17 and 18 class. Maybe he doesn't want to spend his time chasing down and convincing immature teenagers and has a good business venture that will allow him to make a lot of money with not a lot of responsibility and enjoy the married life.

If there is truth to this rumor and there is a reason, that aint it.
Slice seems to enjoy recognition, so I don't seem him going out to pasture

« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2016, 04:48:08 PM »
Far from the most connected guy on here, but my understanding is  that there is no truth to this rumor.  People forget who strong the rel'ship is between Chris and Slice, how much Slice loves being back in this area, and how well compensated Slice is under the terms of his contract with SJU.