Lavin

• 705 replies

hnk

Re: Lavin
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2015, 01:59:56 PM »
i think this is a very thoughtful post.  i agree with it and its conclusion.  i do not believe a five year extension is merited at this point.  I favor a 3 year rolling extension with a relatively small buyout.   Let's see if coach Lavin can build on the progress already made, but on a tighter leash.  He should get to choose his assistants.

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2015, 02:02:32 PM »
People are leaving NY in droves.  This isn't the 80s and 90s.

that's misleading boo.   Nyc and the metro area are growing.   Upstate is losing population fast.   

Specifically NYC metro area is only growing do to immigrant population:  Chinese, Mexican, South American.   Interstate moving isn't happening.   I think FLorida has surpassed us in population.

Pete88

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2015, 02:27:09 PM »
Shaka said no to Ucl a a few years ago.  He'd laugh at St. John's.

UCLA is completely unreasonable situation. All we want is a consistant winner. It isn't just the school. A coach has to think about where he wants to make a life for his family, and New York is a sell that cannot be matched.

from what i have heard every coach outside of NYC is lining up for this job, because of all NY has to offer for lifestyle and family.  reliable sources tell me that administration is choosing between Calipari and coach K, they are both willing to take huge discounts from what they are currently making and if SJU doesn't come through they are all over the Fordham opening. 

once a simpleton always a simpleton...

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2015, 02:35:18 PM »
Lavin blamed this loss on everyone else, even Amir Garret. Take some responsibility

I'm half with you. He used so many excuses and its dumb. But he was without a 6-10 dumbass and that wasn't his fault.

The Moe, Jakarr, Amir shit is dumb though.

Anyway I just wanna win, so whatever happens happens, I'm with it as long as it's smart.

Dayton has 6 scholarship players. No bigs. They just won 2 tourney games and did well in the A10 tourney.I don't want to hear how they are playing at home. We played at home in the Big East tourney and lost to the same team they just handled easily

That Dayton/Providence game was a disgrace on so many levels. But again not really disagreeing with you. But Obekpa would have made a difference against SDSU no doubt in my mind.

Ya so would have Harkless, Amir and jakarr. Pointer and Harrison were great at the post game interview. No excuse. Lavin did them dirty

But I'm saying Harkless, Amir and Jakarr is a shitty excuse to use and it's dumb. There should be no excuses, even though there is one. Agreeing Lavin should man up.

I didn't mean that as directed at you. Just in general

boo3

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2015, 02:42:45 PM »
 I'm not advocating for Lavin, but I am far from convinced that making a change right now will improve anything.  In fact, I think they would go a Norm type route again... Which would be destruction of program.

Pie in the sky candidates are great message board chatter, but reality is,  very low chance it happens.  Then what? 

Facts are facts - we are more relevant now that we've been for 15 years.  Start over now?  Not sure I think that is right move. 

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2015, 02:47:22 PM »
If the decision is to keep Lavin, there needs to be a new AD to reign him in. Lavin defiantly can be a great assets with his personality, but leaving him to his own devices would be a mistake.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2015, 02:54:01 PM »
I'm not advocating for Lavin, but I am far from convinced that making a change right now will improve anything.  In fact, I think they would go a Norm type route again... Which would be destruction of program.

Pie in the sky candidates are great message board chatter, but reality is,  very low chance it happens.  Then what? 

Facts are facts - we are more relevant now that we've been for 15 years.  Start over now?  Not sure I think that is right move. 

Think we will be relevant next year? Year 6

Pete88

« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2015, 03:02:28 PM »

if the choice is back to Norm years or where we are today, is there really a question on which fans would rather have?

goredmen

« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2015, 03:06:21 PM »

Yes, but how relevant are we really? Still haven't made the semis of the BET and have not won an NCAA tournament game. We weren't relevant last year when we were getting blown by Robert Morris in the NIT and the majority of chatter about St. John's from people outside the program on selection sunday this year was because of the Obekpa suspension and not because we could make noise in the tournament.  Just because the program is slightly more relevant now than when Norm was here doesn't mean the program is where it could and should be

goredmen

« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2015, 03:08:04 PM »

if the choice is back to Norm years or where we are today, is there really a question on which fans would rather have?

Because the next coach is guaranteed to be as bad as Norm was. Sure, its possible, it's also equally possible our next coach is the next Shaka Smart
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 03:08:26 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2015, 03:09:24 PM »
If Kentucky loses in the NCAA tournament, I wonder if Calipari will blame the loss on Anthony Davis having left for the NBA. (He'd be a senior right now).

TONYD3

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2015, 03:28:06 PM »
If you wan to blame Lavin for not coaching well that is fine and reasonable. He did not blame yesterdays game on any former players.

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2015, 03:32:29 PM »
Lavin, of course, went the other way. He wouldn’t pin the loss on Obekpa, because there were so many other culprits he could blame. Rysheed Jordan sat for 18 first-half minutes, for starters. That didn’t help. Sir’Dominic Pointer was heroic early, keeping the Aztecs from blowing the game open in the first half, but he went down in a heap and banged up his hip. That didn’t help, either.
But Lavin — not for the first time — wouldn’t stop there, passive-aggressively referencing for the hundredth time the fact this class started with Mo Harkless (now with the Magic), JaKarr Sampson (now with the 76ers) and Amir Garrett (now playing baseball in the Reds organization).
What’s the point? Sure, the Johnnies might have had a different result for these last four years if all of them had spent every moment here. But they didn’t. You know what? If you could transport 1985 Walter Berry through the time-space continuum and onto this roster, that would be a big boost for the home team too. It’s just as relevant.

« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2015, 03:38:28 PM »
If you wan to blame Lavin for not coaching well that is fine and reasonable. He did not blame yesterdays game on any former players.

He blamed it on Jordan's fouls and Dom's hip pointer

TONYD3

« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2015, 03:48:43 PM »
I read the article also. His personality rubs people the wrong way, myself included at times. Hammer to rock, play like a ninja, crouching tiger all seem kind of stupid. As mad and upset as we were last night, i am hoping that he was even more upset. His players love and respect him. None of us know him. He has plenty of faults as a coach. But he seems like a good guy. I did not hear his entire interview. I am sure he sad some annoying things. But I do not believe he blamed Harkless for last nights loss.

« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2015, 03:53:26 PM »
Pretty sure all of that could be said about Norm too.

Pete88

« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2015, 04:00:15 PM »
Pretty sure all of that could be said about Norm too.

except norms press conference was after the CBI tournament

« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2015, 04:03:49 PM »
He's not the greatest game coach. But when you look at the big picture, I personally think you are crazy to fire him unless you have a proven winning coach to take his place.

Three 20 win seasons out of 5 and 2 NCAA appearances. If you were told those would be the numbers 5 years ago, you'd be smiling  We have short memories about just how bad things were before Lavin.

If Jordan and Obekpa are gone, and Lavin doesn't secure more top 100 players, then I might go into the fire Lavin camp. But until then, I'm still supporting him. I think he's a good face for SJU basketball.

Poison

« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2015, 04:07:20 PM »
Shaka said no to Ucl a a few years ago.  He'd laugh at St. John's.

UCLA is completely unreasonable situation. All we want is a consistant winner. It isn't just the school. A coach has to think about where he wants to make a life for his family, and New York is a sell that cannot be matched.

from what i have heard every coach outside of NYC is lining up for this job, because of all NY has to offer for lifestyle and family.  reliable sources tell me that administration is choosing between Calipari and coach K, they are both willing to take huge discounts from what they are currently making and if SJU doesn't come through they are all over the Fordham opening. 

once a simpleton always a simpleton...

Humor?

Poison

« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2015, 04:13:29 PM »
He's not the greatest game coach. But when you look at the big picture, I personally think you are crazy to fire him unless you have a proven winning coach to take his place.

Three 20 win seasons out of 5 and 2 NCAA appearances. If you were told those would be the numbers 5 years ago, you'd be smiling  We have short memories about just how bad things were before Lavin.

If Jordan and Obekpa are gone, and Lavin doesn't secure more top 100 players, then I might go into the fire Lavin camp. But until then, I'm still supporting him. I think he's a good face for SJU basketball.

If Jordan and Obekpa are gone, and Lavin doesn't secure more top 100 players, it will be too late to fire him. His hands are tied with recruiting because he looks like a sitting duck. Either he gets a legitimate contract extension right away, or move on. But they have to decide fast.