Lavin

• 705 replies
Re: Lavin
« Reply #340 on: March 25, 2015, 03:08:29 PM »
It was a good fight @Desco

I'm not wrong.
As of this morning there had been no contract talks with Lavin.   That is a fact.
So unless they decided today to keep him, and he agreed in principle to their terms... this is just a leak and posturing. 

Now, that's not to say the school couldn't make a decision tomorrow or next week to keep Lavin.  They could.
I was told this morning no decision had been made, people were waiting to see what president G wanted to do, and no one had talked to Lavin about an extension yet.

I'm hearing the complete opposite. I guess we will eventually find out.

There were contract talks before today?

Not sure, but would think somethings were talked about. Was told it's a done deal. He will be here for awhile.

Interesting, ok.  If that's what they decide, then so be it.   I hope he signs Chiek and a few of the euros.
I had to take my words back after Lavin finally brought a few European players here.  Problem is, I want them to have potential like a Cekovsky or Bender at MD. Bender isn't 4 star material, but like Cekovsky (who was further along than Bender before entering college), they will develop nicely over four years.

I want to see those types of bigs to supplement the bigger recruits. That should be part of the recruiting mission moving forward. And I'll tell you where to find them for a puncher's chance of success - Baltimore.  UMD still doesn't heavily recruit Baltimore for a slew of old reasons, and GTown doesn't do major damage there either.  To date, I haven't seen any involvement with Baltimore players from the staff.  Guys like WV's Daxter Miles (Dunbar) would have possibly considered St. John's (just an example - he may have been contacted for all I know).  We need to find another Bootsy down there - it's been tooo long. The travel distance is very good for guys to get away, but be close to home as we know with the NYC/Philly back and forth that Nova has made hay with for decades.

paultzman

« Reply #341 on: March 25, 2015, 04:16:07 PM »
@RogRubin: Steve Lavin and St. John's are in conversations related to a possible extension.

« Reply #342 on: March 25, 2015, 04:17:42 PM »
@RogRubin: Steve Lavin and St. John's are in conversations related to a possible extension.

Good. Just get it over with already. Hopefully its done before he sees Diallo tomorrow.

« Reply #343 on: March 25, 2015, 04:22:32 PM »

Good. Just get it over with already. Hopefully its done before he sees Diallo tomorrow.

and if it's not a done deal, make an announcement that you're working on it.   ala Hurley and Buffalo.

hnk

« Reply #344 on: March 25, 2015, 04:25:16 PM »
exactly

« Reply #345 on: March 25, 2015, 04:28:37 PM »
Looking forward a little bit, assuming they do re-sign lavin.  A lot of the rhetoric on here has been to the effect of "we already know what lavin can do" i.e., he's peaked.  My question is, is that true?  I think Lavin did a poor job recruiting last year (and the year before that), which left the team with no bigs, and I think he could do better than he has shown.  Remember, he came to a team that had been terrible for 6 years under norm, and managed 3 20-win seasons and 2 ncaa tournaments out of five years.  If he's able to land a few studs and fill out the rest of the team with good players, I could see him getting us to 2 sweet sixteens over the next 5 years.  Heck, I think he could have done that this year if he had another decent big, or two.  I would be satisfied with that, some of you would call that "accepting mediocrity."  I would love to be playing on thursday, and I think lavin gives us a decent chance of doing that a couple of times over the next 5 or so years.

It's kind of funny, because if you see the ovation he gets at games, I would probably be closer to the "dislike" on the lavin spectrum, because I am upset with how he handled recruiting the past couple of years, but on here it's just the opposite.

Foad

« Reply #346 on: March 25, 2015, 04:36:19 PM »
Looking forward a little bit, assuming they do re-sign lavin.  A lot of the rhetoric on here has been to the effect of "we already know what lavin can do" i.e., he's peaked.  My question is, is that true?

If Lavin gets an extension for sucking, where's the incentive to get better? He feels "no pressure to win" and gets an extension and that lights a fire under his ass? No. He'll get worse. Assuming that' s possible. He's likely to coach in a bathrobe.

goredmen

« Reply #347 on: March 25, 2015, 04:39:18 PM »
Looking forward a little bit, assuming they do re-sign lavin.  A lot of the rhetoric on here has been to the effect of "we already know what lavin can do" i.e., he's peaked.  My question is, is that true?

If Lavin gets an extension for sucking, where's the incentive to get better? He feels "no pressure to win" and gets an extension and that lights a fire under his ass? No. He'll get worse. Assuming that' s possible. He's likely to coach in a bathrobe.

Please don't bring logic and common sense into this

« Reply #348 on: March 25, 2015, 04:39:25 PM »
ApesNapes, the ones who would call that "accepting mediocrity" are those exceptional people, "Captains of Industry", who take time out of their busy day to grace us with their presence and share their superior knowledge about basketball and the most elite of basketball programs (back when the NIT was the real national championship) with us.

We're not worthy.  We're not worthy!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:40:31 PM by simplyred »

dR3w

« Reply #349 on: March 25, 2015, 04:47:39 PM »

Hopefully it isn't one from the Westin Convention Center Hotel

desco80

« Reply #350 on: March 25, 2015, 04:52:22 PM »
Apes, that's definitely not mediocrity.   I would sign up for that today.

hnk

« Reply #351 on: March 25, 2015, 04:53:51 PM »
Desco,  seriously what is your source saying now?  Anythiing new?

redslope

« Reply #352 on: March 25, 2015, 04:54:58 PM »
Just remember, as Yogi said, it ain't over till the Fat Lady sings!  Where is Linda when you need her ;)

goredmen

« Reply #353 on: March 25, 2015, 04:56:54 PM »
Looking forward a little bit, assuming they do re-sign lavin.  A lot of the rhetoric on here has been to the effect of "we already know what lavin can do" i.e., he's peaked.  My question is, is that true?  I think Lavin did a poor job recruiting last year (and the year before that), which left the team with no bigs, and I think he could do better than he has shown.  Remember, he came to a team that had been terrible for 6 years under norm, and managed 3 20-win seasons and 2 ncaa tournaments out of five years.  If he's able to land a few studs and fill out the rest of the team with good players, I could see him getting us to 2 sweet sixteens over the next 5 years.  Heck, I think he could have done that this year if he had another decent big, or two.  I would be satisfied with that, some of you would call that "accepting mediocrity."  I would love to be playing on thursday, and I think lavin gives us a decent chance of doing that a couple of times over the next 5 or so years.

It's kind of funny, because if you see the ovation he gets at games, I would probably be closer to the "dislike" on the lavin spectrum, because I am upset with how he handled recruiting the past couple of years, but on here it's just the opposite.

Nobody would call 2 sweet 16s in 5 years mediocrity. That's far better than mediocrity. What Lavin has been over the past 5 years is the definition of mediocrity, and I personally don't think he can do better

« Reply #354 on: March 25, 2015, 04:57:43 PM »

?

« Reply #355 on: March 25, 2015, 04:59:34 PM »

Perfect image - under the radar coaching - Steve "The Chin" Gigante Lavin

desco80

« Reply #356 on: March 25, 2015, 05:08:17 PM »
Desco,  seriously what is your source saying now?  Anythiing new?

Check your PM, but not somebody i would just call up out of the blue.   

desco80

« Reply #357 on: March 25, 2015, 05:09:20 PM »

?

ApesNapes posted above that he thought Lavin could get us to two sweet sixteens in the next 5 seasons, but said most of us would still consider that mediocre. 
i don't think so at all, that would certainly be a big success.

Johnny23

« Reply #358 on: March 25, 2015, 05:12:20 PM »
Agree with those posters saying that Lavin is not getting any bettter. These same deficiencies in his x's & o's, in-game coaching and adjustments will be exposed year after year. Add to that his recruiting classes have gotten worse each year and the fact that they're targeting many guys who end up not qualifying is a recipe for disaster. Next year's team will be lucky to win 15 games. He's made high level money here and not produced high level results.

boo3

« Reply #359 on: March 25, 2015, 05:13:34 PM »
Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille Los Angeles, CA

Steve Lavin and St. John's deep into three-year contract extension talks, per sources: http://nyp.st/1Oz6A9P  #sjubb
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:17:47 PM by boo3 »