Butler Game 2

• 238 replies
Re: Butler Game 2
« Reply #200 on: February 03, 2015, 10:14:51 PM »
Just can't believe we are not going to make the tournament again. Thought this year was going to be a lock. But I was dumb enough to think we were going to make it last year also.

« Reply #201 on: February 03, 2015, 10:15:39 PM »
In addition to the four straight years w/o a tourney appearance the awful recruiting last year, all the ineligibility issues-I think the worst indictment might be the following:
That he felt he had to suspend his best player and tried to recruit over the top of him.
Had a player openly refuse to renter at least one game and maybe two depending on whatever the heck went on with Jordan against Creighton
The Jordan SHENAGIANS-always wanted to use shenanigans in a post
Throw in the often chippy play and it looks like he has lost control of team.

Tried to recruit over top of him? What do you mean
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

cjfish

« Reply #202 on: February 03, 2015, 10:22:29 PM »
May need to start following Women's golf or, God forbid, soccer.  Horrible season to date.  The scary thing is I think they will continue to play every 2nd game well to tease us, win a couple in the BE and then finish off with a poor effort in the NIT.

desco80

« Reply #203 on: February 03, 2015, 10:34:40 PM »
We've been a chippy (or dirty team, depending how you look at it) for 3-4 seasons now.  This is nothing new for guys like Obekpa and Pointer. 

« Reply #204 on: February 03, 2015, 10:36:31 PM »
Hope Vacarro and company keep up the pressure in the media.

Marillac

« Reply #205 on: February 03, 2015, 10:44:53 PM »
We lost to a quality team (top 15 RPI) tournament team on the road.  The game was over the moment CO got ejected.  It was a dumb, ridiculous, and selfish play.  They were a better team and we would have have to steal this one with a near perfect game.  Let's try not to get too down about it. 

We have two wins coming up and I think we win six of the next eight heading into the Nova game.  CO is a young kid...he can learn from this.  He really hurt his team and cost them any chance at a W on the road. 

« Reply #206 on: February 03, 2015, 10:49:30 PM »
Marlliac
Save the lavin talk. ;)

goredmen

« Reply #207 on: February 03, 2015, 10:52:32 PM »
We lost to a quality team (top 15 RPI) tournament team on the road.  The game was over the moment CO got ejected.  It was a dumb, ridiculous, and selfish play.  They were a better team and we would have have to steal this one with a near perfect game.  Let's try not to get too down about it. 

We have two wins coming up and I think we win six of the next eight heading into the Nova game.  CO is a young kid...he can learn from this.  He really hurt his team and cost them any chance at a W on the road. 

He's a Junior. If he doesn't know better by now he never will. This wasn't the heat of the battle type thing after a hard foul or anything. He just elbowed a dude in the back of the head for absolutely no reason at all.

Not sure you can count the next two as wins just yet. Nothing is close to a guarantee with this team

« Reply #208 on: February 03, 2015, 11:10:08 PM »
In addition to the four straight years w/o a tourney appearance the awful recruiting last year, all the ineligibility issues-I think the worst indictment might be the following:
That he felt he had to suspend his best player and tried to recruit over the top of him.
Had a player openly refuse to renter at least one game and maybe two depending on whatever the heck went on with Jordan against Creighton
The Jordan SHENAGIANS-always wanted to use shenanigans in a post
Throw in the often chippy play and it looks like he has lost control of team.

Tried to recruit over top of him? What do you mean

I forget who it was but they lost out on someone the year he was suspended and if they got him they were going to tell Harrison to transfer. That was what I was told anyway. I think Dave had heard that too. Dave?

« Reply #209 on: February 03, 2015, 11:12:26 PM »

I agree they are better than us, but at this point isn't that sort of  ridiculous? Butler is better than a senior laden team that is Lavin's 5th team. Brings back my argument that we might as well get a solid game coach and embrace being a mid major type.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:13:08 PM by we are sju »

Marillac

« Reply #210 on: February 03, 2015, 11:28:53 PM »

I agree they are better than us, but at this point isn't that sort of  ridiculous? Butler is better than a senior laden team that is Lavin's 5th team. Brings back my argument that we might as well get a solid game coach and embrace being a mid major type.

I don't think it's ridiculous at all.  Butler made two national title games just a few years ago and had a starter from one of those teams start last season.  Their seniors came into an environment of guys who have won and know what it takes.

I said before the season Butler would be the most improved team in the country and would be a tournament team.  With Jones back, they have four (Jones, Dunham, Barlow, Woods) out of seven guys back from a rotation that came a shot away form the Sweet 16 two years ago.  He is the engine that makes them run.  They've also added a transfer from Indiana and their three highest ranked recruiting classes in the history of their program the last three years. 

They are tough to beat at Hinkle...10-1 this season.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #211 on: February 03, 2015, 11:31:15 PM »
the issue that has plagued SJU has been there coaching, ever since Louie left there has been major or weird coaching issues. They have been discussed multiple times on this board. I disagree with lets just try to be a mid major team because as Lavin has shown is that quality players will come to SJU...Hell you can argue Norm brought in quality players and if DJ didn't blow out his knee who knows what could of happend.

The key is finding the right coach that fits the school and wants to be here...How the hell did the SJU WBB do it so successfully and they don't even at at MSG!! Except for his first year he has had some kind of coaching issue (I count recruiting as a coaching issues) and he has not been able raise this program above NIT level...Which is an accomplishment and sad...The key is SJU administration engagement and finding a Sid coach to right this ship. I would guess that the SJU President is pretty embarrassed about tonight and ever since he arrived last Summer on all the weird shanigans.

I wanted Lavin to be succesful and wanted his contract extended all the way up to the last couple of weeks....Hopefully he can salvage this season and leave on a high note, or maybe even earn that extension but I honestly just see this season getting worse.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #212 on: February 04, 2015, 01:30:41 AM »
I missed the game.  What happened?  I can gather that Oblockpa getting himself booted in the first half of a close one cost us the game.  But why weren't 3'lo and Mr. Greenejeans shooting  (12 shots combined) while savior was chucking up 21 shots?

Poison

« Reply #213 on: February 04, 2015, 01:45:33 AM »
the issue that has plagued SJU has been there coaching, ever since Louie left there has been major or weird coaching issues. They have been discussed multiple times on this board. I disagree with lets just try to be a mid major team because as Lavin has shown is that quality players will come to SJU...Hell you can argue Norm brought in quality players and if DJ didn't blow out his knee who knows what could of happend.

The key is finding the right coach that fits the school and wants to be here...How the hell did the SJU WBB do it so successfully and they don't even at at MSG!! Except for his first year he has had some kind of coaching issue (I count recruiting as a coaching issues) and he has not been able raise this program above NIT level...Which is an accomplishment and sad...The key is SJU administration engagement and finding a Sid coach to right this ship. I would guess that the SJU President is pretty embarrassed about tonight and ever since he arrived last Summer on all the weird shanigans.

I wanted Lavin to be succesful and wanted his contract extended all the way up to the last couple of weeks....Hopefully he can salvage this season and leave on a high note, or maybe even earn that extension but I honestly just see this season getting worse.

There is still one type of coach that St.John's has avoided. I can't understand why, but they not looked for a coach as much as they've looked for what would get them positive media attention. The coach we hire to replace Steve Lavin should a strategist first and a recruiter second.

A coach should have a clear plan for each game, but he should also have a strong understanding of why he teaches a particular type of defense or runs a particular offense. Be it a match up zone or a havoc-like press + man to man, I want the coach to know what he believes in and to recruit for that belief system like Jim Boeheim and Shaka Smart do.

A kid should come here for our coach and that kid should know what type of basketball we play. I still don't know what type of basketball we play now.

Bobby Hurley knows man to man defense. He's my choice to bring some basketball IQ and local
credibility back to St.John's. Get his dad to join us for two or three seasons as an assistant and we're golden.

TONYD3

« Reply #214 on: February 04, 2015, 09:01:36 AM »
If hobby hurleys name was bobby smith, jones or Jackson no one would want him. When we don't have foul trouble we play very good man defense.

« Reply #215 on: February 04, 2015, 09:39:29 AM »
I missed the game.  What happened?  I can gather that Oblockpa getting himself booted in the first half of a close one cost us the game.  But why weren't 3'lo and Mr. Greenejeans shooting  (12 shots combined) while savior was chucking up 21 shots?

Wasn't that close when he got throw

I don't think it's ridiculous at all.  Butler made two national title games just a few years ago and had a starter from one of those teams start last season.  Their seniors came into an environment of guys who have won and know what it takes.

I said before the season Butler would be the most improved team in the country and would be a tournament team.  With Jones back, they have four (Jones, Dunham, Barlow, Woods) out of seven guys back from a rotation that came a shot away form the Sweet 16 two years ago.  He is the engine that makes them run.  They've also added a transfer from Indiana and their three highest ranked recruiting classes in the history of their program the last three years. 

They are tough to beat at Hinkle...10-1 this season.

25 points better?

Foad

« Reply #216 on: February 04, 2015, 09:40:54 AM »

Moose

« Reply #217 on: February 04, 2015, 10:46:22 AM »
start the spin doctor Lavin- " this loss allowed us to showcase our talent for 2015-16 with felix and ali "

Except Amar played awful all night.
Balamou and Amar will be our top options next year. Can't wait!

What makes you think either will be here :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #218 on: February 04, 2015, 12:41:25 PM »
Bobby Hurley knows man to man defense. He's my choice to bring some basketball IQ and local
credibility back to St.John's. Get his dad to join us for two or three seasons as an assistant and we're golden.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:41:50 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #219 on: February 04, 2015, 01:07:10 PM »

Wasn't that close when he got throw

We were down 6 in the 1st half?