Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cincinnati Transfer - Bayside, NY

• 1791 replies

desco80

Re: Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cardozo HS - Bayside, NY
« Reply #580 on: December 29, 2012, 10:54:01 PM »

And notice I mentioned nothing about Jordan.......

you don't think he's coming here?

Moose

« Reply #581 on: December 29, 2012, 10:59:10 PM »

And notice I mentioned nothing about Jordan.......

you don't think he's coming here?

Your looking too deep into it. Was just starting out with logjam Lawrence would create. Then added Jordan logjam.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #582 on: December 29, 2012, 10:59:38 PM »
I'm with you guys in saying you can't turn a talent like Jermaine down.. But we really need some muscle on the boards... Would love to grab a Juco with some size .

I agree with you, but from what I know it seems unlikely to find size in the JUCO ranks.   We're more likely to find undersized muscle: think Gift, Sanchez, Brownlee.   Anybody 6'10 and above who had any skill at all was offered D1 scholarships out of HS.   It's the under the radar and undersized bigs that you find playing jUcO ball more often than not. 

Titus Robles?

« Reply #583 on: December 29, 2012, 11:01:06 PM »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:04:20 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

desco80

« Reply #584 on: December 29, 2012, 11:05:41 PM »
I'm with you guys in saying you can't turn a talent like Jermaine down.. But we really need some muscle on the boards... Would love to grab a Juco with some size .

I agree with you, but from what I know it seems unlikely to find size in the JUCO ranks.   We're more likely to find undersized muscle: think Gift, Sanchez, Brownlee.   Anybody 6'10 and above who had any skill at all was offered D1 scholarships out of HS.   It's the under the radar and undersized bigs that you find playing jUcO ball more often than not. 

Titus Robles?

I haven't watched a lot of Cinnci yet, but from what I've heard.. Yes!  Exactly.   

Chilleb

« Reply #585 on: December 29, 2012, 11:08:45 PM »
Amir plays on my team over Phil anyday

« Reply #586 on: December 29, 2012, 11:43:23 PM »
Moose...you want 8 guys on the roster every year?

With a pg like Jordan this team would be much improved.  Hopefully Lavin can pull it off

No.  But I'm quoted on this site and Redmen a number of times saying 10 is the magic number.  11 ships at most.  I don't see the need to give out more because unless you correctly manage everyone and their roles you will have a revolving door.  Having a Marco or Max around is great.  They have a role.  Same with Gift.  By no way do I not want Jermaine here.  But I think Dom's minutes will vanish, maybe Amir too.  As for Jordan  he would be coming to a crowded backcourt so that leads me to think Harrison might not be around.

10 guys gives you one backup at each position and barely gives you a 5v5 intrasquad scrimmage.  What happens when there is an injury or 2.  You need to use at least 12 of the schollies.  Transfers are a nature of the beast.  Only the best survive...let the others transfer if they want.  This isn't CYO this is D1 basketball. 

I don't understand your statement about a crowded backcourt either.  Right now we have two shooting guards and one point guard.  Hardly a log jam.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Moose

« Reply #587 on: December 30, 2012, 12:10:45 AM »
Moose...you want 8 guys on the roster every year?

With a pg like Jordan this team would be much improved.  Hopefully Lavin can pull it off

No.  But I'm quoted on this site and Redmen a number of times saying 10 is the magic number.  11 ships at most.  I don't see the need to give out more because unless you correctly manage everyone and their roles you will have a revolving door.  Having a Marco or Max around is great.  They have a role.  Same with Gift.  By no way do I not want Jermaine here.  But I think Dom's minutes will vanish, maybe Amir too.  As for Jordan  he would be coming to a crowded backcourt so that leads me to think Harrison might not be around.

10 guys gives you one backup at each position and barely gives you a 5v5 intrasquad scrimmage.  What happens when there is an injury or 2.  You need to use at least 12 of the schollies.  Transfers are a nature of the beast.  Only the best survive...let the others transfer if they want.  This isn't CYO this is D1 basketball. 

I don't understand your statement about a crowded backcourt either.  Right now we have two shooting guards and one point guard.  Hardly a log jam.

Well Dom plays time at 2.  Everyone fell in love with Felix during limited time.  Others love Marco and his ability to shoot and want to see what he can do with Branch.  All see time at 1 and 2.

Transfers do happen but 'can' hurt your APR depending on their academic standing when they leave.  I got no problem with these guys coming in.  Just wonder what the repercussions might be with the balance of the team.  Transfer also mean no continuity.  If the guys who logged major minutes 1st and 2nd yr don't stick around till 4th year what does that say for all those who said those minutes would pay off down the road.  How many you think from last year's class see 4 yrs of college here?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:12:01 AM by Moose »

« Reply #588 on: December 30, 2012, 12:15:26 AM »
Dom and Phil for sure.  I think Harrison leaves after his junior year if he continues to improve.  Garrett is the wildcard with his baseball situation.

« Reply #589 on: December 30, 2012, 12:27:25 AM »
Not so fast my friend
Do remember Dom's dad was really big on U of M
If he loses more minutes due to overcrowding downlow
I would not wanna see it happen but he could bolt ?
Finish his career back home??
None the less
The biggest problem I see is we are goin after top talent and we
Are not showing any track record! ( this goes beyond lavin )
There has been a decade or more erosion of one if the richest traditional programs
In basketball history. We are still light years from being a NCAA ready team.
We still do not have a legit PG as of the moment. I hope I eat my words (In a year or less)
(But panic fills my heart like when the girl u crazy about let's you down easy after u asked her out
A la back In grade school!)
Time will tell I guess
 :-\
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:36:16 AM by illscalpya4000 »

« Reply #590 on: December 30, 2012, 10:26:56 AM »
Peope are nuts.  We have s combo of 4-year talent as well as 2 year talent.  Both a young but still nobody is happy nor willing to give it time.   Anybody who doesn't see kids like Phil Greene, Dom, Amir as 4-year players is nuts.  They are jumping through walls here, but are young and still need time.  The roster mix is fine.  The only mix that isn't good is that we have NO upperclassmen and that will take some time.

and we lost Nuri and Harkless, both of whom were being counted on beyond year 1, which may hae made things much better...we need to come to grips that we are simply not at the point where we can thrive in the face of defections...in a few years after a few more recriting cycles, this should not be the case

« Reply #591 on: December 30, 2012, 10:27:15 AM »
"He’s gotta learn to play hard all the time" -Tom Konchalski

This quote scares me. We are talking about adding another player to a team that already has problems playing with intensity for 40 mins. Personally, I think Lavin has to find some under tha radar kids that want to play hard. Kids with a chip on their shoulder. Lawrence seems soft to me. But look, as a program, we are in no position to turn down a top 30 talent. I just hope Lavin can get everything out of these kids because right now we are underachieving.

paultzman

« Reply #592 on: December 30, 2012, 11:17:38 AM »

This quote scares me. We are talking about adding another player to a team that already has problems playing with intensity for 40 mins. Personally, I think Lavin has to find some under tha radar kids that want to play hard. Kids with a chip on their shoulder. Lawrence seems soft to me. But look, as a program, we are in no position to turn down a top 30 talent. I just hope Lavin can get everything out of these kids because right now we are underachieving.

Guess Cinci and UNLV feel otherwise. Cuse had interest as well. It would be crazy not to pursue him.

Happy

« Reply #593 on: December 30, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »

Guess Cinci and UNLV feel otherwise. Cuse had interest as well. It would be crazy not to pursue him.

I agree and Konchalski is right ( as usual).  Sometimes he seems really disinterested on the court.  But I'll tell ya I have seen him at times look unreal.  Like one and done unreal.  For those reasons you gotta go hard after him.  Just wish he was a better rebounder :)

sju89tr

« Reply #594 on: December 30, 2012, 11:40:38 AM »
Do you think that schools like Kansas, Duke, UNC worry about recruiting too much talent?

The question is who goes to create the 2 ships Sanchez and ???

I do not see Dee leaving 

« Reply #595 on: December 30, 2012, 11:59:50 AM »

I agree and Konchalski is right ( as usual).  Sometimes he seems really disinterested on the court.  But I'll tell ya I have seen him at times look unreal.  Like one and done unreal.  For those reasons you gotta go hard after him.  Just wish he was a better rebounder :)

Is he a poor rebounder? Or just not a great one?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

ras

« Reply #596 on: December 30, 2012, 02:29:57 PM »
Not so fast my friend
Do remember Dom's dad was really big on U of M
If he loses more minutes due to overcrowding downlow
I would not wanna see it happen but he could bolt ?
Finish his career back home??
None the less
The biggest problem I see is we are goin after top talent and we
Are not showing any track record! ( this goes beyond lavin )
There has been a decade or more erosion of one if the richest traditional programs
In basketball history. We are still light years from being a NCAA ready team.
We still do not have a legit PG as of the moment. I hope I eat my words (In a year or less)
(But panic fills my heart like when the girl u crazy about let's you down easy after u asked her out
A la back In grade school!)
Time will tell I guess
 :-\
Branch hasnt played enough to make the statement we dont have a legit PG, hopefully he will pan out.

Happy

« Reply #597 on: December 30, 2012, 02:32:04 PM »

Is he a poor rebounder? Or just not a great one?

Not a poor rebounder.  But not the bulk to make a rebounding difference at the big east ( or whatever we will be ) level right away.

« Reply #598 on: December 30, 2012, 04:09:48 PM »
I'd like some toughness for next year. If you ask me, that is what we need more than anything. A guy that will come in and be willing to scrap, do the dirty work without worrying about points and touches and being cool.

We've always done well with those type of guys. Whether it's Ty Grant, Billy Singleton, or Lamont Middleton. Team players, not concerned about trying to go pro in a year. Those type of kids are out there and Lavin needs to start incorporating some into the program. Obviously you need the top talent like Jermaine as well, but you can't just build a team without guys willing to accept lesser roles.

« Reply #599 on: December 30, 2012, 04:20:55 PM »
I'd like some toughness for next year. If you ask me, that is what we need more than anything. A guy that will come in and be willing to scrap, do the dirty work without worrying about points and touches and being cool.

We've always done well with those type of guys. Whether it's Ty Grant, Billy Singleton, or Lamont Middleton. Team players, not concerned about trying to go pro in a year. Those type of kids are out there and Lavin needs to start incorporating some into the program. Obviously you need the top talent like Jermaine as well, but you can't just build a team without guys willing to accept lesser roles.

He might have been hoping Christian would be that player. He mentiond him and "bruising" quite a few times. I havnt gave up on Christian. If he learns to be aggressive on the boards and more physical down low he can be a player. He has a good feel offensively.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.