Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cincinnati Transfer - Bayside, NY

• 1791 replies
Re: Jermaine Lawrence - PF - Cardozo HS - Bayside, NY
« Reply #1180 on: February 03, 2013, 03:12:09 PM »
I'm sorry poison I disagree I don't think he is a big loss. I could be wrong but I doubt it

You don't have to get every NYC high school star, but you need to get your share. Don't get me wrong, I think 99% of these NYC are entitled overrated punks, not all of them. When you focus on a Queens kid, and he bolts for Cincinnati, you have either dropped the ball recruiting, or someone(s) is cheating.

For Cincinnati to land any coveted New Yorker, something fishy must be going on.

I want the best NYC kid.  I don't want just a kid to fill a quota. 
That being said though many of these kids just probably want to get away.  KOB and Choz are closer to the game and maybe I'm wrong but if they asked kids I'm sure a good number will want to get away.

I can certainly understand wanting to get away. Wanting to get away to a disgusting fly over state makes me believe w out a shadow of doubt that Cinci is cheating. There is no reason to go to Cincinnati for anything at all, let alone basketball.

Ironclad innuendo.

« Reply #1181 on: February 03, 2013, 03:13:45 PM »
Lawerence made his decision good or bad and its done.  But I just hope he realizes that if the C7 somehow leave after this yr, he will be playing for a team and conference that no one will care about at all. 

Chilleb

« Reply #1182 on: February 03, 2013, 03:13:54 PM »
I'm sorry poison I disagree I don't think he is a big loss. I could be wrong but I doubt it

You don't have to get every NYC high school star, but you need to get your share. Don't get me wrong, I think 99% of these NYC are entitled overrated punks, not all of them. When you focus on a Queens kid, and he bolts for Cincinnati, you have either dropped the ball recruiting, or someone(s) is cheating.

For Cincinnati to land any coveted New Yorker, something fishy must be going on.

That being said though many of these kids just probably want to get away.  KOB and Choz are closer to the game and maybe I'm wrong but if they asked kids I'm sure a good number will want to get away.
But then you have your share of kids who want to be the king of there city and I think that's where rysheed is leaning towards. Stj is still looked at as a bottom feeder among New York kids, none of thee kids follow the history and aren't that in depth how we all are they just see the big names and they bolt. NYC kids have no idea of what it means to play basketball in the Mecca and that's partly because there handlers will sell there souls for some out of town connects , no loyalty in the city anymore.

Moose

« Reply #1183 on: February 03, 2013, 03:16:35 PM »
Agreed to Redmen and Moose. I wish there was solid information on what happened to both those losses.

At face value this stings but I'll listen to Kob here as I have zero inside info.  Reading between the lines it seems like for whatever reason either we didn't want him (who knows why).  Let's just relax a bit and see how this all plays out.  Same folks on this board who say this is horrendous and the sky is falling will be the same folks jumping right back on the bandwagon shortly.

Jermaine by all accounts had a handler who was not in love with STJ and loved Cincy.  You pick your spots with who you want to deal with.  Yes maybe its a good thing we didn't get involved.

No I know and Harkless last year.  But part of getting Lavin is his ability to recruit nationally.

Any "national" recruits out there that can help us replace losing Lawrence?  ;)

Rivals 2013 ranked their Top 20 Centers.  Only Demitrius Henry has not chosen a school

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Demetrius-Henry-108668;_ylt=AtcP1bc9CH_PxI7PBXCqyLbVO5B4

Rivals 2013 ranked their Top 30 PF's.  Outside of Julius Randle who I won't bother wasting breath on.  There are only 2 players who have yet to commit.  Junior Etou and Jordan Washington ranked 28 and 29.  Etou supposedly has big time age issues so stay away.  And Jordan Washington well is Jordan Washington haha

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Junior-Etou-126262;_ylt=AtT6cKflDJHLWprTWRGhSerVO5B4

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Jordan-Washington-117160;_ylt=Ao7wkrz863V_S6FypC55E0PVO5B4 

Pickings be slim.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #1184 on: February 03, 2013, 03:17:49 PM »

But then you have your share of kids who want to be the king of there city and I think that's where rysheed is leaning towards. Stj is still looked at as a bottom feeder among New York kids, none of thee kids follow the history and aren't that in depth how we all are they just see the big names and they bolt. NYC kids have no idea of what it means to play basketball in the Mecca and that's partly because there handlers will sell there souls for some out of town connects , no loyalty in the city anymore.

Your right.
I always used the analogy that if NYC had 10 top D1 caliber players each year 7 most likely will want to get away.  Need to make sure you get some from those other 3.

« Reply #1185 on: February 03, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
Hopefully some coaches get fired and their recruits open up at the end of the year

Moose

« Reply #1186 on: February 03, 2013, 03:23:59 PM »
Hopefully some coaches get fired and their recruits open up at the end of the year

Yeah I was looking at USC.  Their big priority is a PG who supposedly is getting calls from schools.  They had a big man from Arlington Country Day.  Nikola Jovanovic

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Nikola-Jovanovic-145054;_ylt=AunFPPGkqWhsxvy7KK.ZYk7XO5B4

Chilleb

« Reply #1187 on: February 03, 2013, 03:27:14 PM »
I agree but it's a shame this is what stjbb has Been reduced too, I'm almost embarrassed.

Chilleb

« Reply #1188 on: February 03, 2013, 03:28:25 PM »
Agreed to Redmen and Moose. I wish there was solid information on what happened to both those losses.

At face value this stings but I'll listen to Kob here as I have zero inside info.  Reading between the lines it seems like for whatever reason either we didn't want him (who knows why).  Let's just relax a bit and see how this all plays out.  Same folks on this board who say this is horrendous and the sky is falling will be the same folks jumping right back on the bandwagon shortly.

Jermaine by all accounts had a handler who was not in love with STJ and loved Cincy.  You pick your spots with who you want to deal with.  Yes maybe its a good thing we didn't get involved.

No I know and Harkless last year.  But part of getting Lavin is his ability to recruit nationally.

Rivals 2013 ranked their Top 20 Centers.  Only Demitrius Henry has not chosen a school

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Demetrius-Henry-108668;_ylt=AtcP1bc9CH_PxI7PBXCqyLbVO5B4

Rivals 2013 ranked their Top 30 PF's.  Outside of Julius Randle who I won't bother wasting breath on.  There are only 2 players who have yet to commit.  Junior Etou and Jordan Washington ranked 28 and 29.  Etou supposedly has big time age issues so stay away.  And Jordan Washington well is Jordan Washington haha

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Junior-Etou-126262;_ylt=AtT6cKflDJHLWprTWRGhSerVO5B4

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Jordan-Washington-117160;_ylt=Ao7wkrz863V_S6FypC55E0PVO5B4 

Pickings be slim.
An as for Jordan's age. August of 1993 I'll let you guys do the math

paultzman

« Reply #1189 on: February 03, 2013, 03:29:08 PM »
Lavin on a few occasions recently mentioned looking abroad as well. Don't know if that means anything or is just idle chatter. May not be a bad idea.

paultzman

« Reply #1190 on: February 03, 2013, 03:31:39 PM »
Dave Telep [ARCHIVE]

ESPN RecruitingNation | February 3, 2013
The Cincinnati Bearcats received a commitment on Sunday from their No. 1 recruiting target, ESPN 100 power forward Jermaine Lawrence of Springfield Gardens, N.Y.

Ranked the No. 19 overall prospect in the Class of 2013 by ESPN, Lawrence pledged to Mick Cronin's team over St. John's and will move the Bearcats to No. 24 in the ESPN class rankings. UNLV was also in the mix for Lawrence.

From the start of last year's spring recruiting period, Lawrence had been the top target overall for the Bearcats. Despite being sidelined with a wrist injury that would later require surgery, Cronin and his staff remained committed to Lawrence. They realized it was an all-or-nothing situation with the power forward and that the backup plans were not plentiful.

Lawrence saw exactly what Cincinnati thought of him.

"When they started coming to my school, they made me feel like they really wanted me," Lawrence said. "I was definitely their guy."

In late July last summer, it became apparent Lawrence's injury was more serious than previously thought. At the Elite 24 showcase in August, Lawrence attended but did not play. He would later have surgery on his right wrist and didn't return to action for Pope John XXIII High School until last month.

During his recovery process, Lawrence continued to debate the merits of St. John's, Cincinnati and UNLV. The Rebels had former AAU teammate Savon Goodman on the roster and were factor. But in the end, it was down to Cronin's Bearcats against Steve Lavin's Red Storm.

"It was back and forth," Lawrence said. "It was hard to make a decision. St. John's is my hometown school."

Regardless, Cincinnati has done well with NYC talent. Former Bearcats players Kenny Satterfield and Lance Stephenson, both McDonald's All-Americans, were from New York.

"New York City players have gone there and then been comfortable," Lawrence said. "I started thinking, Why can't I be comfortable there?"

Lawrence becomes the top-rated recruit in a Cincinnati 2013 recruiting class that also features point guard Kevin Johnson (Cincinnati/Summit Country Day), shooting guard Troy Caupain (Midlothian, Va./Cosby), small forward DeShaun Morman (Washington, D.C./Faith Baptist Christian) and center Jamaree Strickland (Oakland, Calif./Queen City Prep).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:32:44 PM by paultzman »

Moose

« Reply #1191 on: February 03, 2013, 03:33:15 PM »
Lavin on a few occasions recently mentioned looking abroad as well. Don't know if that means anything or is just idle chatter. May not be a bad idea.

Not after what we just went thru with Orlando.

« Reply #1192 on: February 03, 2013, 03:33:23 PM »
I agree but it's a shame this is what stjbb has Been reduced too, I'm almost embarrassed.

Reduced to?  Have you followed this program longer than 2 years?  If anything that shows how Lavin has raised our profile to be able to get those guys at the end of the year
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Moose

« Reply #1193 on: February 03, 2013, 03:34:01 PM »

Pickings be slim.

Really don't care about his age as he's not a foreigner where your dealing with crazy transcripts and such.

Chilleb

« Reply #1194 on: February 03, 2013, 03:42:14 PM »

Reduced to?  Have you followed this program longer than 2 years?  If anything that shows how Lavin has raised our profile to be able to get those guys at the end of the year
To answer your first question yes, born and raised in queens and  norm Roberts and Ryan Williams are family friends so it's been a while now, and secondly is that your way of praising the collection of players and personal we have now? Yes there's been some what of a boost but is it nearly the boost that we all anticipated and hoped for ? That goes for on and off the court. Between the rotation and lineup an eligibility issues idk take your pick.

Chilleb

« Reply #1195 on: February 03, 2013, 03:43:30 PM »

Pickings be slim.

Really don't care about his age as he's not a foreigner where your dealing with crazy transcripts and such.
So then why the concern for the other recruits age?

« Reply #1196 on: February 03, 2013, 03:43:49 PM »

Erick Barkley was 35 when he was a freshman

Moose

« Reply #1197 on: February 03, 2013, 03:46:26 PM »

Pickings be slim.

So then why the concern for the other recruits age?

Because Junior Etou is from overseas and we know the issues with foreign recruits and their age and how it starts the dogs from Indy sniffing.  Etou was subject of big article in Washington about how he played in his native country and now is in the US claiming to be a different age.

« Reply #1198 on: February 03, 2013, 03:46:37 PM »

Did you follow STJ bball during Norm's tenure?  If this is your thought process now I can't imagine what it was then.  I was pissed off when Gathers chose Baylor over us, but if he came here it's unlikely Jakarr would've come.  Let's all just take a step back and breathe.

Moose

« Reply #1199 on: February 03, 2013, 03:47:11 PM »

Erick Barkley was 35 when he was a freshman

Funny
Again re-read my posts.  It has to do with foreign players and their ages.  I don't want or need Orlando Sanchez part 2.