Abdul Malik Abu - PF - Kimball Union Academy - Boston, MA - NC STATE

• 181 replies
Re: Abdul Malik Abu - PF - Kimball Union Academy - Boston, MA
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2013, 08:46:47 PM »
^^ best nickname ever. Nice one dude. Spot on.

« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2013, 09:03:41 PM »
True. Sampson Sanchez Obekpa.  But that 3-0 record is in serious jeopardy if you believe the recruiting pundits. Chukwu Terrell and Abu all going to PC would leave us in a horrible spot for '14. 

Moose

« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2013, 09:12:09 PM »
True. Sampson Sanchez Obekpa.  But that 3-0 record is in serious jeopardy if you believe the recruiting pundits. Chukwu Terrell and Abu all going to PC would leave us in a horrible spot for '14. 

Horrible?
Wee bit early for that word choice.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2013, 09:21:20 PM »

Horrible?
I disagree. It's clear the staff has made those 3 the top priorities for '14. If they all commit while on an unofficial to PC next week, we are playing catch up and may have to sweat out another spring without a committed recruit.

Moose

« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2013, 09:32:09 PM »

Horrible?
I disagree. It's clear the staff has made those 3 the top priorities for '14. If they all commit while on an unofficial to PC next week, we are playing catch up and may have to sweat out another spring without a committed recruit.

So you'd rather get the first visit and not the last your saying?

« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2013, 09:42:40 PM »

Horrible?

As far as I know from what's presently in the public domain, we aren't scheduled to get a visit. In fact, have any recruits said they definitely want to visit?

I hear you, Moose. And the staff's recruiting track record makes me hopeful that behind the scenes we are well positioned.

Moose

« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2013, 09:45:14 PM »

Horrible?

As far as I know from what's presently in the public domain, we aren't scheduled to get a visit. In fact, have any recruits said they definitely want to visit?

I hear you, Moose. And the staff's recruiting track record makes me hopeful that behind the scenes we are well positioned.

All I'm saying is its still very early.  Summer period just ended.  Recruits more take visits once school starts.  These kids are in Prov's backyard so I'm not really concerned yet.

Even if they strike out early staff has proven it still landed great players late.  I know a lot of fans get uneasy when they don't see the names early.

Lets just see what happens when school starts.  Most kids are gonna use all 5 visits. 

paultzman

« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2013, 09:45:31 PM »

Horrible?

The unofficial visit is reflective of a long time commitment to attend Providence Elite Camp, not something that just materialized.

gman

« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2013, 11:33:16 AM »

Horrible?

Doomed

« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2013, 05:16:41 PM »

Have faith in the staff, they haven't let us down yet

MCNPA

« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2013, 07:26:46 PM »

Has Lavin ever been in a "horrible spot" recruiting-wise in his career except maybe as a lame duck his last year at UCLA?  Lavin will get his share of top notch kids for 14'.  No worries about that.  Not sure exactly who just yet, but I don't think Lavin is sweating any of it.

« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2013, 07:49:52 PM »

Has Lavin ever been in a "horrible spot" recruiting-wise in his career except maybe as a lame duck his last year at UCLA?  Lavin will get his share of top notch kids for 14'.  No worries about that.  Not sure exactly who just yet, but I don't think Lavin is sweating any of it.
Yes. A few times. After gathers and wood decommitted in 2011 and then again after it was Jordan or bust this past spring. He ultimately prevailed, but you have to wonder how many times the staff can successfully play catch up at the 11th hour.

All of this said, I am not complaining here. I have been proven wrong before and have faith coach will secure a great class again.

« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2013, 09:30:46 PM »
Was he in a bad spot those times, or did he simply wait for the guys he targeted as one of his priorities and thought he would get all along to commit?  Hard to speculate without knowing the plan.  What I do know is that had we adopted the approach that many on this board advocated -- reaching for guys simply to get a commitment as opposed to waiting it out for the better players -- we would be worse off, and people would be criticizing Lavin and Co.

« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2013, 11:09:44 PM »

Yes. A few times. After gathers and wood decommitted in 2011 and then again after it was Jordan or bust this past spring. He ultimately prevailed, but you have to wonder how many times the staff can successfully play catch up at the 11th hour.

All of this said, I am not complaining here. I have been proven wrong before and have faith coach will secure a great class again.

Who is playing catch up?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

crgreen

« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2013, 01:51:23 AM »

Wow, does that feel "revisionist"!   Gathers would have been nice, but he split rather than try to earn minutes behind fellow incoming classmates Jakarr Sampson (Big East Rookie of the Year), Chris Obekpa (better rebounder, NATIONS LEADING SHOT BLOCKER) and Orlando Sanchez, reputed to be better than any, and assumed to be available at the time Rico cut and ran.

As I say, woulda been nice, but I wouldn't take him in lieu of any of the three frontcourters that DID come on board and stay.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 07:04:02 PM by Redstormy80 »

MCNPA

« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2013, 09:37:16 PM »
Abu just cut his list to 4 in a surprise move.  Florida, NCSU, UConn and Providence, although he does say "as of now".  Too bad we didn't make the cut.

« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2013, 09:42:51 PM »
That is a little surprising. Thought we'd be in until the end.

Moose

« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2013, 09:42:55 PM »

MCNPA

« Reply #139 on: August 07, 2013, 09:44:39 PM »

Not saying it is.  Just disappointed he cut his list so soon.