Jevon Thomas - PG - OSNA - Rosedale, NY - KANSAS STATE

• 378 replies
Re: Jevon Thomas - PG - OSNA - Rosedale, NY
« Reply #180 on: July 24, 2011, 07:51:40 PM »
amir's mouth is going to get him in trouble this year. 

below is his response to jevon decommitting:

Amir_Garrett amir garrett
@TimmyDimas its ok, not like we really lost anything!

Very inapproriate.  That is why these kids need to be monitored on the internet.  No worries!  I know Lavin will nip Twitter in the bud once the school year starts.

MCNPA

« Reply #181 on: July 24, 2011, 07:59:59 PM »
amir's mouth is going to get him in trouble this year. 

below is his response to jevon decommitting:

Amir_Garrett amir garrett
@TimmyDimas its ok, not like we really lost anything!

Very inapproriate.  That is why these kids need to be monitored on the internet.  No worries!  I know Lavin will nip Twitter in the bud once the school year starts.

Amir is a kid and a bit gregarious.  He bought into the idea of playing with other top talent as his spot and developing a family-like bond with the rest of the team.  I think it was Amir just saying "fine, we don't need you anyway".  It's harmless. 

« Reply #182 on: July 24, 2011, 08:17:29 PM »
This is all about Kyle.

Jevon is a good kid and I believe he still wants to attend SJU, but I think he wants to see how the Kyle thing plays out and I think he feels that SJU is in real good shape to land Kyle.

Also it is well known Jevon needs some work in the classroom.

Dan

« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2011, 08:19:32 PM »
Jevon was running his mouth about threatening to decommit if St. John's got another guard awhile ago on twitter if I remember correctly.  He couldn't stand the thought of competing for time.  He's talented, but that kind of attitude is not what Lavin should want to be bringing in here, he can do better.

« Reply #184 on: July 24, 2011, 08:26:17 PM »
I agree twitter doesn't exactly help these kids but I kind of like Amir's attitude. If I remember correctly Amir actually committed right after Pointer when that would have been the easiest time for him to look elsewhere.

To me that says a lot about Amir's character and the type of guy I can't wait to root for

Maybe as Fordham and others just speculated it's about us being in good shape with Kyle ( God I hope that's true ). I'd still like to have Jevon play for us but not if it means he thinks we just arent going to go after any other guards going forward. If Calipari can do it ( and do it successfully ) why not Lavin

« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2011, 09:03:19 PM »
Whats with the hate on Jevon? Everyone loved him a week ago and now because he wants to reopen his recruitment everyone is critical of him. The fact is this is one of the most important decisions of his life and he needs to choose wisely. Maybe we are not whats best for him maybe we will be in the future but to jump to conclusions that he is scared of a challenge is unfair. Lets wait to see how this plays out and wish him the best of luck in his future

MCNPA

« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2011, 09:07:04 PM »
Whats with the hate on Jevon? Everyone loved him a week ago and now because he wants to reopen his recruitment everyone is critical of him. The fact is this is one of the most important decisions of his life and he needs to choose wisely. Maybe we are not whats best for him maybe we will be in the future but to jump to conclusions that he is scared of a challenge is unfair. Lets wait to see how this plays out and wish him the best of luck in his future

It's not a conclusion that is unfounded.  He was threatening to de-commit on twitter prior to this if Lavin brought in any more guards.  IMO, he isn't coming back and both he and the staff have moved on.  Nobody is hating on Jevon.  I think that people just want to see kids that want to be here. 

« Reply #187 on: July 24, 2011, 09:18:48 PM »

No hate at all for Jevon but the kid said publicly if we recruit another pg he is gone.
I see everyone here wishing Jevon well. The kid is a talent, borderline top 100 at present, but if he believes his commit to SJU will prohibit Lavin from bringing in another pg until he is a senior he is just mistaken. I for one wish him all the best but if he is not sure he wants to be at SJU so be it. He will be replaced IMHO by equal or better talent. I love kids like Sir Dom and Amir, top talent sfs who committed to SJU after Lavin already had commits from top talents Mo and Harkless at the same position. It tells me those kids will bust their asses to get pt at SJU. 

« Reply #188 on: July 24, 2011, 09:33:16 PM »
I like him and if it can be worked out down the road for some reason then I am not against it.  Unlikely however.

But his commitment was hindering the recruitment of Kyle.  And at this point if it was between him and Kyle I am taking Kyle.

And he tweeted it when SJU recruited NC St transfer Ryan Harrow.

BTW: Evan Daniels of scout says it was mutual.

@EvanDanielscout
Evan Daniels My understanding of the St. Johns/Jevon Thomas news is that it was a mutual parting of ways.
2 hours ago via UberSocial for BlackBerry

http://twitter.com/#!/EvanDanielscout/status/95271176758239233

Dan

« Reply #189 on: July 24, 2011, 09:50:04 PM »
Kyle Anderson now can clearly see there's an opening for him, and he seems to be the better get.

« Reply #190 on: July 24, 2011, 10:05:23 PM »
I was never under the impression that Kyle Anderson was making his decision based on what the 5 schools on his list have at PG, or have coming in at PG. He's a top 10 player, he knows wherever he goes he's playing big minutes. He's too talented not to get on the floor in some capacity.

That being said, the opening is clearly there now for a PG. I guess if Kyle Sr. did have any concerns about Lavin bringing in a PG along with his son, they have been put to rest. No confusion, the PG position is all yours.

Marillac

« Reply #191 on: July 24, 2011, 10:45:44 PM »
Amir is a young kid that feels disrespected...no big deal.  A lot of our fans feel the same way with the decommitment and I hope Jevon and his handlers understand that when they read the posts or twitter over the next couple of days.

As a fan, I feel a little slighted.  I thought of Jevon as part of our team and St. John's family for almost a year.  In the end, he has to make the best decision for him.  I don't understand why our recruitment of a 6'8 point-forward that can't defend points or 2-guards would cause him decommit when we don't have a single pure pg on our roster, but we shall see how this unfolds.  I'd like to see him commit again, but--as always--I trust in Lavin completely.

But damn we need a true point guard to really go places!!!

« Reply #192 on: July 24, 2011, 10:48:22 PM »
Did UCLA get a commitment from a PG today Domnick Artis?

Marillac

« Reply #193 on: July 24, 2011, 10:52:39 PM »
Kyle Anderson now can clearly see there's an opening for him, and he seems to be the better get.

Kyle is a great player no question, but Jevon's speed and handle with the athetlic freaks we have on the wings would have been electric.  I saw the two as separate pieces to the puzzle. 

Moose

« Reply #194 on: July 24, 2011, 11:03:57 PM »
Did UCLA get a commitment from a PG today Domnick Artis?

Yes.  Kiss UCLA goodbye.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #195 on: July 24, 2011, 11:06:41 PM »
Amir is a young kid that feels disrespected...no big deal.  A lot of our fans feel the same way with the decommitment and I hope Jevon and his handlers understand that when they read the posts or twitter over the next couple of days.

As a fan, I feel a little slighted.  I thought of Jevon as part of our team and St. John's family for almost a year.  In the end, he has to make the best decision for him.  I don't understand why our recruitment of a 6'8 point-forward that can't defend points or 2-guards would cause him decommit when we don't have a single pure pg on our roster, but we shall see how this unfolds.  I'd like to see him commit again, but--as always--I trust in Lavin completely.

How far did we go last year with no real point guard.

Add in the fact that the talent we have coming in is leaps and bounds better.

I'm not sweating it.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #196 on: July 24, 2011, 11:14:12 PM »

I'm not sweating it.

We lost in the first round with an All-American combo guard filling in.  With the talent we have, we should be thinking Final Four or better after this season and I don't think we get there without a pure point guard.  Look back at the final four over the last 10 years and try to find teams that didn't have a pure point...it's not easy. 

MCNPA

« Reply #197 on: July 24, 2011, 11:23:43 PM »

I'm not sweating it.

We lost in the first round with an All-American combo guard filling in.  With the talent we have, we should be thinking Final Four or better after this season and I don't think we get there without a pure point guard.  Look back at the final four over the last 10 years and try to find teams that didn't have a pure point...it's not easy.

Uconn.  I dont think either Kemba nor Napier was a pure PG.  It's overrated, and I'd argue that the "pure PG" that you are talking about is primarily an offensive trait, which Anderson has in bunches.

« Reply #198 on: July 24, 2011, 11:28:22 PM »

I'm not sweating it.

Uconn.  I dont think either Kemba nor Napier was a pure PG.  It's overrated, and I'd argue that the "pure PG" that you are talking about is primarily an offensive trait, which Anderson has in bunches.

I've seen Napier play many times even played against him before and to me Napier he is a pure point especially last year with Kemba and Lamb as the scorers

Marillac

« Reply #199 on: July 24, 2011, 11:32:06 PM »

I'm not sweating it.

I couldn't disagree more.  Kemba Walker is as pure of a point guard as you will ever find...Napier is as well.  Just because a kid can score, doesn't mean he isn't a pure point guard. 

Anderson is effective from a number of spots of the floor and as long as he is getting touches, I don't think it matters if he's running the offense from the top of they key or getting touches from the high post. 

In fact I think he'd be most dangerous with a pure point like Jevon on the floor with him to vary up the way the team attacks.  You could go slo-mo with KA or speed it up with Jevon and move KA around. 

That's not to say that we couldn't be deadly with Nuri and Harrison (and possibly Harkless) on the floor together with Anderson.  I just think we are a more complete team with an elite PURE POINT GUARD.  I don't understand how anyone could disagree with that last statement.