Shamorie Ponds Q&A - NY Post

• 35 replies

TONYD3

Re: Shamorie Ponds Q&A - NY Post
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 03:50:52 AM »
I appreciate any and all info that people have. The 2 year plan was put out there to pacify the crazies who wanted to fire our coach after 8-40 something.

Pot-kettle?
Was kidding. 2 year plan did not pacify me. It pissed me off.

Was hoping that was the case. Sarcasm doesn't translate and all.

I didn't mind the 2 year plan idea. I think the bigger point was that despite the losing we were on the right track and let's give it a little more time. As far as I can tell that line of thinking was correct.
Not complaining anymore. We some how make the NIT I think Mullin should win coach of the year. Next year WITH ponds we could have a special season. However no ponds, this team will suck. Don’t want to hear any excuses, can’t be playing in Wednesday night of the big east tournament next year. Even though it would be year for of a complete rebuild. (Sarcasm)

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2018, 09:09:25 AM »
Anything possible with Ponds, considering how great he is finishing season. Initially heard staff thought he would return, but would not bet either way at this point.

If he doesn't come back next year we're in big trouble..... I can't believe he's Avon Barksdale's nephew.

How is this the first I am hearing of this? Hopefully he has better luck than Avon's other nephew D'Angelo. He was killed in prison and then they ate his leg on Walking Dead. Though he did have a good game in the Bourbon Bowl.

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 06:26:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/status/966089677605351426
@NYPost_Brazille
St. John's guard Shamorie Ponds' father Shawn on his son's future: “You got to remember, when you’re winning more people got their eye on you. Coming back could be a really good thing.” Sounds like he will test waters, but no sense there is a rush to go pro. More coming. #sjubb
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 06:28:08 PM by SeattleJohnny »

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 06:44:00 PM »
https://twitter.com/NYPost_Brazille/status/966089677605351426
@NYPost_Brazille
St. John's guard Shamorie Ponds' father Shawn on his son's future: “You got to remember, when you’re winning more people got their eye on you. Coming back could be a really good thing.” Sounds like he will test waters, but no sense there is a rush to go pro. More coming. #sjubb

I take this has a very positive sign.

paultzman

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 06:46:56 PM »
Family doing right thing exploring options & looking at big picture. Good for them!

ras

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 07:22:21 PM »
What a great player to have on team. Always trying to improve and has a good head on his shoulders. Would hate to see him leave after this year. But if he does it would be after doing his due diligence.  Seems like he has good people in his ear.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:23:39 PM by ras »

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2018, 08:25:21 PM »
Steer clear of the agents and listen to Chris and Mitch. With Mullin’s contacts he will be able to provide an accurate view of the options.

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2018, 09:01:41 PM »
Not a guard heavy class. Could he jump? Sure. I think he'd be 2nd round pick at best right now with probability being sent to D-League.

I think he really needs to be more consistent with his outside shooting and then he's got a real good chance at sticking.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2018, 10:46:08 PM »
From the article, with which I agree:

Both scouts believe Ponds should wait, get stronger and gain more experience. The second scout said Ponds needs to improve his playmaking skills and offensive efficiency — he’s shooting just 42 percent this year and 26 percent from 3-point range, though those numbers are climbing — to prove he can be a point guard at the next level. The talent evaluator said he isn’t on his team’s radar for this year at the moment. Most mock drafts list him in the 2019 class.

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2018, 11:35:58 PM »
I remember people including me saying Mo wasn't ready. Heck Gene Keady was sitting at our table for a dinner and he said no way was Mo ready or going first round.  It's a lot different with bigger guys but stranger things have happened

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 09:17:21 AM »
Obviously it helps us but I really do think if he stays we will be pretty good and he has a shot to be BE player of the year. If he shows he can really play the point and with more options and better selection cleans up his shooting % I think he can get into 1st round next year. Really does seem to make sense for him to stay. Now if he is being told he can slip into 1st round this year then he should go but hopefully he will listen to the right people. 

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 09:42:36 AM »
I remember people including me saying Mo wasn't ready. Heck Gene Keady was sitting at our table for a dinner and he said no way was Mo ready or going first round.  It's a lot different with bigger guys but stranger things have happened

But the difference is, Moe Harkless was being listed in mock drafts that year as a first round pick. Whether he was ready or not, he was still being targeted based on potential.

We have yet to see Shamorie listed as a draft pick this year in any mock drafts, even after the hot streak. Obviously that could change over the course of the next month.

QuanMan

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2018, 09:55:55 AM »

Gene Keady was right. Moe's frame and potential were worth the investment, but he wasn't ready. He was in Jacque Vaughn's dog house nearly his entire tenure in Orlando and didn't break out until last season in Portland. Thankfully Shamorie looks every bit of 19 and isn't near ready for the physicality of the league. I'm confident that Mullin's uncanny expertise and close relationship w the Ponds family will have him in Queens as a All American next Fall.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:47:46 AM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2018, 10:01:44 AM »
Mo was a lock lottery/mid-first leading up to that draft. If Ponds is in the same position - which he won’t be - he should leave too.

paultzman