Time for a change

• 79 replies
Time for a change
« on: December 30, 2007, 02:33:39 PM »
Let the names flow because this is the only thing interesting about this pathetic program right now. It's sad that half the names that we will bring up would not even bother coming here so lets go, throw some good coach out there and please no more asst. coaches only guy that have coached at schools better then Queens college. Lets face Roberts can't coach at this level the players have no clue, you can't tell me larry cant get a few looks off  a couple screens, pound it down to justin its sad.

Re: Time for a change
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 02:51:49 PM »
I was really paying strict attention to Norm this game and he was pissed at Geno sometimes for not getting the ball down to the block to JB sometimes right away. I think he wants things to be done quicker but we're waiting for the zone to catch up to where the ball is. I think we unfairly assess some blame to Roberts when the players are just as much at fault. I'm not saying the coaching staff is under immunity for criticism however I think we do unfairly assess some blame because its the popular thing to on these boards.

There are a number of things I would do differently as coach but I'm also not here to undermine the coach. Undermining the coach accomplishes nothing and to say you think players should transfer at the seasons end is just stupid to say if you are a real st. john's fan. Why put the idea out there?

Now I've seen Norm in games and I see he gets upset and frustrated with many of the same things we do and that fails on player execution however I'm upset that why doesn't Norm try and deviate from plan to try and do something that works in game. We fail to see many adjustments. I've seen little adjustments like the zone press but we do it far to little and far too short in terms of time. If you adjust stick with it if it works until the other team adjusts and then you adjust again. Thats my chief complaint but we'll see if this improves or if players execution improves and if either does it should in turn lead to better results on the court. This team has talent even the players we harp on have some talent we just need to bring it out.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 03:07:29 PM »
JJ first off you do a great job,proud to see someone who stll cares about the program. I was at the game yesterday and it was a pathetic sight. First off we can't get a decent home court advantage at the garden, I don't want to hear how it's agreat recruiting tool these kids today have no memories of the garden in itsday, for petes sakes they see teams like pitt and duke playing there. Norm makes no adjustments it seems like they just throw the ball around for 25-30 seconds and see if someone can create. You have Mase, Burrell and Wright that should be enough of a foundation to create some plays for even with geno running the show. Time to start Booth and see if he is gonna be the guy to run the show in the future. I won't place all the blame on roberts but he should of had a more exper. asst coach by his side if you can name his asst other then fred Q who is a good recruiter what does he have, nobody he can turn too to draw up anything. Its time for a change 1 more yr will not make it any better.

Randomhero423

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 03:34:23 PM »
norm has GOT TO GO.  rumors are swirling burrell and wright will transfer. and i'm not surprised at all.  burrell is NOT as good as advertised and old red looks like a absolute fool saying he's as good as sealy.. 
wright looks like he's in norm's dog house. and he's also beeen very overrated.  looked great first game, that's about it...

if those 2 guys transfer, and we have no good recruit coming in.  norm has got to go period.  team just looks like it's heading nowhere and i'm absolutely sick of it..

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 03:36:44 PM »
I agree Erick and it was pathetic how we run the shot clock down however there are times where passes aren't made that should be made and Norm would be livid on the sidelines like what are you guys doing. My point is you have to assess the blame rightfully and both the coaches and the players are at fault its not simply just one or the other.

I don't think Boothe is the answer though so I'll disagree there. I'm seeing some things that were pointed out about Geno that I'll admit I wasn't seeing at first but I still think he is our best option.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 03:42:07 PM »
norm has GOT TO GO.  rumors are swirling burrell and wright will transfer. and i'm not surprised at all.  burrell is NOT as good as advertised and old red looks like a absolute fool saying he's as good as sealy.. 
wright looks like he's in norm's dog house. and he's also beeen very overrated.  looked great first game, that's about it...

if those 2 guys transfer, and we have no good recruit coming in.  norm has got to go period.  team just looks like it's heading nowhere and i'm absolutely sick of it..

settle down young buck. Justin and Wright are two of our better players and I think the people swirling these rumors shouldn't be I think its just disrespectful on all fronts to discuss this from it being unfair to the other players on the team and the coaches who are trying to recruit right now. It's just bad for business. Larry has fallen into the path of Avery Patterson and has fell in love with the three ball and we rarely see Larry taking it to the hole hanging for two, Larry is also getting smoked defensively which is why I think he is in the dog house. Burrell is obviously a flare for the dramatics and I think everything will settle in eventually also a good amount of kids that play a sport or not think about transferring after their first semester because the grass is always greener on the other side but many eventually settle in and stick it out. Maybe Justin should give Ricky, Avery, and Q a call and see how life is for them.

Randomhero423

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 03:43:51 PM »
burrell can go to a better program than those guys.  he can end up at a place like hofstra, or maybe even a smaller major school. 

this is going to be a longggg season. 

Dan

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 03:46:04 PM »
I'm with you Erick.  I've been with that thought process for awhile.  Norm has some decent talent on this team...and it is not reaching its potential.  Not by a longshot.  He does not get the most out of his players.  He does not make players better.  His substitution patterns are awful and sometimes seem like they are done at random.  His offensive scheme can barely even be defined with the word offensive.

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 03:46:55 PM »
burrell can go to a better program than those guys.  he can end up at a place like hofstra, or maybe even a smaller major school. 

First off if we are fans and we start making suggestions where JB should transfer too....everyone is a lot more crazy than I originally thought.

Randomhero423

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 03:48:55 PM »

First off if we are fans and we start making suggestions where JB should transfer too....everyone is a lot more crazy than I originally thought.

not saying he should transfer. just saying if he would, he can end up at a better place.

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 03:49:50 PM »
JJ, I think booth should play more to gain a little more exper. next year he is our only true pg so it will be put up or shutup with him. as far as guys leaving, don't forget they have to sit out a year, JB will be fine here for a few more years.

kjd01067

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 03:55:16 PM »
Calm down boys ! When the end of the season comes then start your rumors about who should be the new coach.  And dont even start with the transfer rumors cause that is flat out ridiculous.  We arent even into the Big East schedule yet.  I agree this team can fall flat on there face when we start to play good teams night in and night out, but we can just as easily put it all together and be a middle of the pack team.  We finnally have the talent, lets see how this year plays out.  If we have a terrible year i will be right there calling for Norms head.

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 03:57:47 PM »
I just think a pure coach like mckillop from Davidson or someone like that would be a welcome change, how long has it been since we had a pure basketball coach at SJU. If we just want a guy to recruit athletes and throw the ball out there and hope they score we can find that with any big program asst coach, our program is at stake here we have sunk to a new low nobody cares and it's only a matter of time before we are an after thought around here in the hoops world. Sometimes change is needed just for change sakes.

Tha Kid

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 03:59:28 PM »

What would be the point of transferring to Hofstra?  He would get less pub, they suck worse than us, and he won't get any more time cuz he gets plenty here.

Burrell is an idiot if he transfers so I don't think he will, he prob is just frustrated --- why sit out a year to either be a BACKUP at a top school or play for a worse school? He plays in NYC, at MSG, for a BE team, and gets 30+ mins a game.  He'd be crazy to leave.

LW on the other hand, I feel for.  The kid looks totally miserable because of Norm, and Norm uses him as a whipping boy.  Larry may have fallen in love with the 3 because Norm has totally shattered his confidence so his game is not operating on all cylinders like it was.  Norm is really dropping the ball with Larry for the 2nd straight year and that pisses me off.  If Larry is kept as TENTH man on this team then Norm is a f'n nice person.  He is our best shooter and since our team is so bad as is, might as well give him playing time and try to see if he can learn to be a good defender while giving him a longer leash so he isnt all messed up in the head on offensive in the little time he has.
"I drink and I know things"

Dan

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2007, 04:00:11 PM »
Calm down boys ! When the end of the season comes then start your rumors about who should be the new coach.  And dont even start with the transfer rumors cause that is flat out ridiculous.  We arent even into the Big East schedule yet.  I agree this team can fall flat on there face when we start to play good teams night in and night out, but we can just as easily put it all together and be a middle of the pack team.  We finnally have the talent, lets see how this year plays out.  If we have a terrible year i will be right there calling for Norms head.

Why is it ridiculous?  You act as if this team hasn't had a revolving door of players transferring in the past under Roberts.  There has to be something to that.

kjd01067

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 04:02:01 PM »
Calm down boys ! When the end of the season comes then start your rumors about who should be the new coach.  And dont even start with the transfer rumors cause that is flat out ridiculous.  We arent even into the Big East schedule yet.  I agree this team can fall flat on there face when we start to play good teams night in and night out, but we can just as easily put it all together and be a middle of the pack team.  We finnally have the talent, lets see how this year plays out.  If we have a terrible year i will be right there calling for Norms head.

Why is it ridiculous?  You act as if this team hasn't had a revolving door of players transferring in the past under Roberts.  There has to be something to that.

Yea its called players were over-recruited which is a good thing !

Randomhero423

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 04:03:55 PM »

What would be the point of transferring to Hofstra?  He would get less pub, they suck worse than us, and he won't get any more time cuz he gets plenty here.

Burrell is an idiot if he transfers so I don't think he will, he prob is just frustrated --- why sit out a year to either be a BACKUP at a top school or play for a worse school? He plays in NYC, at MSG, for a BE team, and gets 30+ mins a game.  He'd be crazy to leave.

LW on the other hand, I feel for.  The kid looks totally miserable because of Norm, and Norm uses him as a whipping boy.  Larry may have fallen in love with the 3 because Norm has totally shattered his confidence so his game is not operating on all cylinders like it was.  Norm is really dropping the ball with Larry for the 2nd straight year and that pisses me off.  If Larry is kept as TENTH man on this team then Norm is a f'n nice person.  He is our best shooter and since our team is so bad as is, might as well give him playing time and try to see if he can learn to be a good defender while giving him a longer leash so he isnt all messed up in the head on offensive in the little time he has.

i think that year of sitting out can really hurt him.  i think he should stay and hope there's a change at the top. 

i was just mentioning those schools because guys like torres, patterson, calhoun ended up NOWHERE.  while i think burrell can atleast be at a school people has heard of...

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 04:09:40 PM »
You guys can't tell me that if there was a good X'S AND O'S coach that they could'nt find a way to get quality looks from JB Larry Mase and DJ, the whole thing is a joke, as far as transfers the guys who left except Q could'nt play in the B.E.

kjd01067

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 04:12:23 PM »
You guys can't tell me that if there was a good X'S AND O'S coach that they could'nt find a way to get quality looks from JB Larry Mase and DJ, the whole thing is a joke, as far as transfers the guys who left except Q could'nt play in the B.E.

exactly what im saying but we arent going to make a coaching change during the middle of the season so give Norm some respect and just support the team for the rest of the year.

Dan

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 04:14:31 PM »

Yea its called players were over-recruited which is a good thing !

Yeah it has sure panned out with our stellar results.