Time for a change

• 79 replies

kob24

Re: Time for a change
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 04:17:16 PM »
norm has GOT TO GO.  rumors are swirling burrell and wright will transfer. and i'm not surprised at all.  burrell is NOT as good as advertised and old red looks like a absolute fool saying he's as good as sealy.. 
wright looks like he's in norm's dog house. and he's also beeen very overrated.  looked great first game, that's about it...

if those 2 guys transfer, and we have no good recruit coming in.  norm has got to go period.  team just looks like it's heading nowhere and i'm absolutely sick of it..
is u stupid that kid is good as hell its noyt his fault hes not getting the ball in a good position. u want him to do it his self. he needs a guard dummy. DAMN PEOPLE DONT KNOW BALL. coaches are dying for him to leave. they want him in their program. if he wasnt as good as advertised why the hell is he getting double and triple teamed. i dont see tomas and dele or sean getting that much attention. there is a reason why.

kjd01067

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 04:19:20 PM »
Calm down boys ! When the end of the season comes then start your rumors about who should be the new coach.  And dont even start with the transfer rumors cause that is flat out ridiculous.  We arent even into the Big East schedule yet.  I agree this team can fall flat on there face when we start to play good teams night in and night out, but we can just as easily put it all together and be a middle of the pack team.  We finnally have the talent, lets see how this year plays out.  If we have a terrible year i will be right there calling for Norms head.

Why is it ridiculous?  You act as if this team hasn't had a revolving door of players transferring in the past under Roberts.  There has to be something to that.

Yea its called players were over-recruited which is a good thing !

Yeah it has sure panned out with our stellar results.

Yea so you think the team would be better with players like Torres, Calhoun, C-Jac and Dexter instead of Burrell, Kennedy, Boothe and Horne.  Your insane if you think the guys that left would have made this team any better.

Randomhero423

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2007, 04:21:16 PM »
listen.  burrell's the best recruit norm's ever gotten.  he has potential to make it to the NBA.  but do you really think he's as good as old red said?  he's a good freshman, and very solid player.  but he's no star right now.  norm and co. defintely aren't helping, but he's no savior for this program.  guy really looks like a headcase at times.

i believe burrell can be a first round pick in the NBA (with proper coaching) when he's a junior/senior.  but you can't tell me this guy is a savior for this program/comparable to mullin, sealy, etc.

kob24

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2007, 04:31:29 PM »
yo i agree with u i never said he was carmelo or lebron. i never said he was a program changer. but he is a very important piece. he needs better coaching. u cant tell me 1 game where he has backed down. he isnt having it. i can guarantee if the team tok some of his attitude they will win more games. but dont put that kinda pressure on a freshman playing his postion. greg oden didint do it his self, nor did derrick charrecter. any freshman who changed their program was either able to create their own shots or he had a guard and a system that played to his ability. obviously when we picked st. johns we was told that this system was going to be totally different. but i guess we was bamboozaled, hoodwinked.

Randomhero423

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2007, 04:37:45 PM »
yo i agree with u i never said he was carmelo or lebron. i never said he was a program changer. but he is a very important piece. he needs better coaching. u cant tell me 1 game where he has backed down. he isnt having it. i can guarantee if the team tok some of his attitude they will win more games. but dont put that kinda pressure on a freshman playing his postion. greg oden didint do it his self, nor did derrick charrecter. any freshman who changed their program was either able to create their own shots or he had a guard and a system that played to his ability. obviously when we picked st. johns we was told that this system was going to be totally different. but i guess we was bamboozaled, hoodwinked.

yep yep.  but the way old red was hyping this kid up.  you'd expect 15 and 10 every night... to compare him to some of the STJ greats right now is a bit of a joke. 

although leading us in points, attempts, 2nd in rebounding, blocks, and minutes as a freshman is very impressive.  he's still nowhere near the level of some other freshman out there (bayless, beasley, rose, kofus, singler, etc).  you can tell he's passionate and frustrated, but the thing is, although it's good at times you need ot learn how to control it.  and encourage your teammates.  burrell's past 5 games he hasn't had double digit rebounds, and even had 0 rebounds in one game.. he has also been taking less shots.

i think a guy like burrell can devolp into a very good player with another coach.  not with norm...  he needs to be involved early, to have a big impact on the game.  the more FG attempts the more rebounds the guy gets (in around hte same minutes). 

if JB transfers.  norm has got to go..

Tha Kid

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2007, 04:42:42 PM »

yep yep.  but the way old red was hyping this kid up.  you'd expect 15 and 10 every night... to compare him to some of the STJ greats right now is a bit of a joke. 

although leading us in points, attempts, 2nd in rebounding, blocks, and minutes as a freshman is very impressive.  he's still nowhere near the level of some other freshman out there (bayless, beasley, rose, kofus, singler, etc).  you can tell he's passionate and frustrated, but the thing is, although it's good at times you need ot learn how to control it.  and encourage your teammates.  burrell's past 5 games he hasn't had double digit rebounds, and even had 0 rebounds in one game.. he has also been taking less shots.

i think a guy like burrell can devolp into a very good player with another coach.  not with norm...  he needs to be involved early, to have a big impact on the game.  the more FG attempts the more rebounds the guy gets (in around hte same minutes). 

if JB transfers.  norm has got to go..

See I disagree about one thing.  I think the ONE good thing Norm has done withr espect to the basketball team is helping guys improve!  Mason, Geno, and TJ are SO much better than they were as freshmen.  Players improve considerably under Norm...he just cannot use them appropriately in games - they become better individual players, just not better collecitve team players (not saying the guys arent team players, just the improvement doesnt translate into a better stj team).
"I drink and I know things"

Randomhero423

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2007, 04:44:12 PM »
oh i agree.  i think norm has had guys improve.  just not as much as possible.  but do you really think norm can develop burrell into a NBA player? 

Tha Kid

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2007, 04:47:35 PM »
oh i agree.  i think norm has had guys improve.  just not as much as possible.  but do you really think norm can develop burrell into a NBA player? 

I'm not sure.  I'm more confident in Norm developing Burrell into an NBA player than I am in Norm turning this team into an NCAA team.  With the leaps and bounds TJ and Geno have taken, as well as steady consistent imporvement by Mase, I really do think Burrell would improve.

Burrell might hate losing, who doesn't, but I think his smartest play is to stay here, in all honesty.  I think he will improve, Norm will make him a focal part of the offense, and work the offense around him and Mase.  Don't see why Burrell would leave.

Randomhero423

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2007, 04:49:14 PM »
if the whole team hates him and burrell hates the staff. i can see it happening.  i do think the most wise move would be to stick around

kob24

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2007, 04:50:11 PM »
just is gonna do that with help from his family. hes gotten better every year. i dont need norm for that what i need from norm is to coach his ass off as their is no tomorrow. give us something please

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2007, 04:51:49 PM »

But he hasn't had players of high quality talent and has developed them along. Imagine players with high quality talent? We're not even into Big East play and we're discussing this its stupid and we all need to settle down.

In regards to Burrell....Norm was livid at Geno/DJ yesterday for not getting the ball into the post quicker there were times JB had position but it was lost because they were too slow to get the ball in. I think we've seen improvement in some aspects but we need to execute better and Justin must stay hungry. We need to see that double double man back. I want Justin to have the same hunger on the boards as Dejuan Blair. I also want to see more of that kiss off the glass Tim Duncan shot we've saw at the Holiday Festival.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2007, 04:56:32 PM »
just is gonna do that with help from his family. hes gotten better every year. i dont need norm for that what i need from norm is to coach his ass off as their is no tomorrow. give us something please

There is a lot of "I" and "WE" in all of your posts how about just for "Justin"

I think this is problem when you have kids having other people whispering in their ears constantly on what to do. These kids are so young and have so many people trying to sway them in so many directions it just screws things up. Being at a Big East school where you can be the man for four years is something that will be big for Justin. We complain about St. John's media coverage but it is so much better than so many schools around the country. We hold our selves to a very high standard which sets us up for disappointment at times. He has so much exposure here and the future is bright.

Tha Kid

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2007, 05:11:01 PM »
Norm has allowed Geno and Mase to grow and be in the spotlight of the BE.  They are the guys mentioned every game by every announcer and every team knows them.  They have improved under Norm and get noticed whether or not we are good.

If justin stays he will get the same kind of treatment.  He will be a guy known by EVERYONE as St. John's best player, he will be playing big time teams all the time, playin at MSG, and on tv.  If he transfers and sits out a year, he is just losing time he could be improving and getting himself closer to gettin PAID.

If Justin leaves it will be something he regrets.

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2007, 05:14:39 PM »
Norm has allowed Geno and Mase to grow and be in the spotlight of the BE.  They are the guys mentioned every game by every announcer and every team knows them.  They have improved under Norm and get noticed whether or not we are good.

If justin stays he will get the same kind of treatment.  He will be a guy known by EVERYONE as St. John's best player, he will be playing big time teams all the time, playin at MSG, and on tv.  If he transfers and sits out a year, he is just losing time he could be improving and getting himself closer to gettin PAID.

If Justin leaves it will be something he regrets.

Lamont and Mason are both NBA draft net draftees. If Lamont didn't go down with the injury chances are he was getting drafted by the Spurs with their 2nd round pick. If not the Spurs and Warriors was also very interested with him. Mason is also still projected to be 2nd round pick too and I think his stock could still rise.

kob24

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2007, 05:20:04 PM »
no one said he was leaving but dont get it twisted if he was in cuse or pitt he would be getting more coverage. but thats not the problem the problem is them losing games. no one is wispering in his ears becaus ei aint having it. coach needs to press more and have a more up tempo offense. im tired of dribbling the ball for 32 sec then firing a 3. hell no im tired. hes been here for  years and i dont know what kinda offense he runs do any of yall?

Tha Kid

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2007, 05:28:53 PM »
no one said he was leaving but dont get it twisted if he was in cuse or pitt he would be getting more coverage. but thats not the problem the problem is them losing games. no one is wispering in his ears becaus ei aint having it. coach needs to press more and have a more up tempo offense. im tired of dribbling the ball for 32 sec then firing a 3. hell no im tired. hes been here for  years and i dont know what kinda offense he runs do any of yall?

perhaps you're right, but once the BE scene starts and we are playin top notch opponents, if Justin fills it up he will be heard nationally loud and clear - even if we're losing.

I agree with ya that Coach does need to press more and run the ball.  We got a lot of talented athletes and that would be the best way to use them.

kob24

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2007, 05:35:40 PM »
but hw can any1 fill it up with only 6 shot attempts in bad position

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2007, 05:37:52 PM »

Like I said Norm was upset the ball wasn't getting into the post quicker we missed opportunities but he was looking for the team to get him the ball

Randomhero423

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2007, 05:41:12 PM »
burrell's also gotta work on his rebounding though.  last 5 games he hasn't been in double digits. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2007, 05:45:49 PM »

Coach was hollerin' on the sidelines for people to get Justin the ball.  It's obvious he wants Justin to be the focal part of this team, which he should be as our most talented baller.  We def need to run more, but I think the problem is twofold:

1) Frosh growing pains.  Justin will have his but so will DJ, Paris, Malik etc.  They may be wanting and trying to get Justin the ball, but right now it's not workin'.  THese kids are talented and it WILL work.

2) Geno dribbles forever.  Coach needs to put a leash on Geno ASAP.  I think he will, he finally has a viable backup PG.  First 3 years Geno couldnt be pulled.  Now he can.

I think as Justin imporves his post game, and the guys improve playin better TOGETHER - lets remember they have only played about 10 games together as a team and only 3 of these guys had played together previously on st johns (and paris and JB together obviously).  THey will get better and as they get better guys like JB and DJ are gonna start to shine.