Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies

gman

Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH
« Reply #920 on: February 25, 2012, 11:55:57 PM »
Question:  do we not get an official from JS this time around?  Would be nice to have him come out for the BE Tourney.

I doubt he could visit during the BET.  It's not an SJU home game.

Moose

« Reply #921 on: February 26, 2012, 12:02:49 AM »
Is it too much to ask our fans not to act like psychotic Kentucky fans?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #922 on: February 26, 2012, 12:17:12 AM »
One minute you got Jakarr the next you don't then you do! Spend to much time thinking about this type of situation.  I hope this young man does well for himself and hope sju is the place! If not coach Lavin will bring young men who will learn and improve as humans and ballers!
I totally agree with this.

BUT I'm a glass half empty person and I think Jakarr has sailed. So be it. He'd be perfect in Lavins system and with the minutes he'd get he'd probably only be here 2 years like Moe.

So be it. Amir will develop to a killer like Harrison and we will get a couple of decent 2012 guys and make a tourney run and will kill it after that

We have two of the biggest impact freshmen on the nation on one team.  If hs prospects aren't drooling over that, then I don't know what does it for them.  Arguably both D'Lo and Harkless could share Big East ROY and both IMO are first or second team freshman All Americans.  Prospects need to realize that this doesn't happen often, and is not a coincidence considering neither was in considerations for McD's AA status. 

Poison

« Reply #923 on: February 26, 2012, 01:53:02 AM »
Can't imagine the kid wanting to be anything other than a Jayhawk after today. What a game/comeback/crowd.

To any kid dumb enough to choose Kansas for ANYTHING over NY should get what they deserve.

kob24

« Reply #924 on: February 26, 2012, 02:35:04 AM »
I am really not sure why Brewster shows us no love, if what I heard is correct we helped Jakarr get to Brewster. I just think Smith is not getting what he wants from us one way or the other. I do feel however when all is said and done and Jakarr visits his schools, he will come back into the fold for us. 

The Smith nonsense was created by this board.  It is fictional.  Smith isn't trying to steer Sampson away from St. John's.
nah he really is marillac
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:07:17 AM by jumpinjohnny »

« Reply #925 on: February 26, 2012, 09:59:35 AM »
Can't imagine the kid wanting to be anything other than a Jayhawk after today. What a game/comeback/crowd.

To any kid dumb enough to choose Kansas for ANYTHING over NY should get what they deserve.

Cmon now, St Johns has stuff that Kansas can't provide but that statement is such nonsense.  Kansas basketball is THE sport in that area/state and they play in one of the best environments in the country.  Bill Self has also turned out NBA talent of his own and they're a high seed in the tournament every year. Even though we play at MSG our arena is usually either empty or filled with fans of opposing teams.

Again, there is a number of things SJU can provide that Kansas doesn't but to make it sound like SJU over Kansas is an obvious choice for anyone is ridiculous.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #926 on: February 26, 2012, 10:36:20 AM »

Cmon now, St Johns has stuff that Kansas can't provide but that statement is such nonsense.  Kansas basketball is THE sport in that area/state and they play in one of the best environments in the country.  Bill Self has also turned out NBA
talent of his own and they're a high seed in the tournament every year. Even though we play at MSG our arena is usually either empty or filled with fans of opposing teams.

Again, there is a number of things SJU can provide that Kansas doesn't but to make it sound like SJU over Kansas is an obvious choice for anyone is ridiculous.

Have you ever been to Kansas?

« Reply #927 on: February 26, 2012, 10:37:41 AM »

Cmon now, St Johns has stuff that Kansas can't provide but that statement is such nonsense.  Kansas basketball is THE sport in that area/state and they play in one of the best environments in the country.  Bill Self has also turned out NBA talent of his own and they're a high seed in the tournament every year. Even though we play at MSG our arena is usually either empty or filled with fans of opposing teams.

I totally agree. News flash: College kids don't come here for Broadway plays or shopping on 5th Avenue. If you are a college basketball fan, you owe it to yourself to check out a game at Allen Fieldhouse. It is night and day different than our place. For their game yesterday against Mizzou, students camped out for one week for tickets. Do you see that here? It is an experience beyond belief.
I attended a game there 5 or 6 years ago. It was a midweek game against a crappy Iowa State team. The place was packed, the crowd was incredibly loud (even in a blowout), and to hear the Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk, literally sends a chill up your spine.
That my friend, is a college basketball environment.

boo3

« Reply #928 on: February 26, 2012, 10:44:04 AM »
 NY is pretty much over rated......by New Yorkers.

RedVet

« Reply #929 on: February 26, 2012, 11:12:14 AM »

Well then, I guess New Yorker Russell Robinson got what he deserved -- a national champioship in 2008.

RedVet

« Reply #930 on: February 26, 2012, 11:18:43 AM »
Good points Macus. Back to back Saturday nationally televised wins can't hurt either. Vitale crowing about our future as well. As anxious as I have been recently about 2012 recruiting, I am now reaffirming my faith in Coach Lavin. Otherwise, I am going to shorten my life.  :)

Yeah but Kansas' comeback win against #3 Missouri in front of a packed house of crazed students can't hurt either. My feeling is that we're JK's fall-back school, that he'll wait to see who's signing with whom in April and if he thinks he won't get the PT with, say, an overstocked KU, he'll sign with us.

Poison

« Reply #931 on: February 26, 2012, 11:22:16 AM »

Well then, I guess New Yorker Russell Robinson got what he deserved -- a national champioship in 2008.

He's completely irrelevant now. That's the point.

RedVet

« Reply #932 on: February 26, 2012, 11:25:52 AM »

He's completely irrelevant now. That's the point.

And Kyle Cuffe isn't?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 11:34:20 AM by RedVet »

Poison

« Reply #933 on: February 26, 2012, 12:03:50 PM »
Starring in the media capital of the world is going to get you far more exposure than starring in the middle of nowhere. And Zkansas is the middle of nowhere. Only a f'n nice person would go there for anything.

« Reply #934 on: February 26, 2012, 12:13:26 PM »
Scout just posted a new article on his weekend in Kansas and his recruitment. Can someone please post highlights?

boo3

« Reply #935 on: February 26, 2012, 12:32:36 PM »
Starring in the media capital of the world is going to get you far more exposure than starring in the middle of nowhere. And Zkansas is the middle of nowhere. Only a f'n nice person would go there for anything.

Honestly, this argument made sense 10 years ago, not anymore. UK, Texas, and Baylor are in the middle of nowhere. Those kids are getting plenty of exposure.  Not to mention Syracuse. Talk about middle of nowhere.... that place is hell on earth. 

Of course, there is an edge to being a stud in NY, but it isn't what it used to be.  If it were, kids wouldn't be so anxious to get the hell out of here.

Mike

« Reply #936 on: February 26, 2012, 12:41:57 PM »

Actually the last part of this could easily be said about anyone who thinks the way you do!!

uwsfan

« Reply #937 on: February 26, 2012, 12:44:01 PM »

Only a nice person.................... or a college basketball player who wanted to play for an elite program would go there.

Kansas is like the Notre Dame of basketball. Elite athletes dont go there to settle down, they go there to play for distinguished programs.
They may want to live in NYC, but they want to play at Kansas, Kentucky, Notre Dame

« Reply #938 on: February 26, 2012, 01:04:33 PM »

Only a nice person.................... or a college basketball player who wanted to play for an elite program would go there.

Kansas is like the Notre Dame of basketball. Elite athletes dont go there to settle down, they go there to play for distinguished programs.
They may want to live in NYC, but they want to play at Kansas, Kentucky, Notre Dame
For basketball only, scratch ND from your list. Add Duke, NC and UCLA. There you have college bb royalty.
The whole exposure argument is silly in the ESPN age. Are Austin, Memphis or Milwaukee on par with NY as cities? Of course not. Did playing there hurt Durant, Rose or Wade? Rose signed a $250 million deal with Adidas today. Playing in Memphis was an awful move...

MCNPA

« Reply #939 on: February 26, 2012, 01:24:01 PM »

For basketball only, scratch ND from your list. Add Duke, NC and UCLA. There you have college bb royalty.
The whole exposure argument is silly in the ESPN age. Are Austin, Memphis or Milwaukee on par with NY as cities? Of course not. Did playing there hurt Durant, Rose or Wade? Rose signed a $250 million deal with Adidas today. Playing in Memphis was an awful move...

Fwiw, Memphis isn't the middle of nowhere like Waco or Lawrence Kansas.  Memphis is a large city with culture and massive basketball support.  Memphis averages more fans to games than Kansas does.