Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies
Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH
« Reply #1080 on: March 09, 2012, 09:13:47 AM »
Highlights from JKS' Championship game

2012 National Prep Championship Game - Hargrave Military Academy vs Brewster Academy (3-7-12)

look Jakaar is already wearing the Red sneakers.. just like his buddies did in their StJ Unis.. he even has a red headband
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:16:46 AM by jerpac »

« Reply #1081 on: March 09, 2012, 09:15:45 AM »
Jakarr isn't really a "scorer" he's like Dom/Amir in terms of offensive prowess. 

is that a good or bad thing Dave?   Dom is offensively Challenged.  Amir has potential and think he'll avg 10-12 nxt season.  but on a team offensively challenged will we have too many similar players?

Lavor was no prize offensively his first year either.  Like Dom, Lavor was highly rated, top 60, and developed his game.  Dom's gonna be a four year player here and I think he's going to become better every year.  He's already an impact player on defense.  His offense will come around.

gman

« Reply #1082 on: March 09, 2012, 09:54:06 AM »
Jakarr isn't really a "scorer" he's like Dom/Amir in terms of offensive prowess. 

is that a good or bad thing Dave?   Dom is offensively Challenged.  Amir has potential and think he'll avg 10-12 nxt season.  but on a team offensively challenged will we have too many similar players?

I think what Dave is saying is he isn't an amare staudamire face to the basket kind of offensive weapon. The kid is a stud. He was mvp of that tournament on s team with two 5 star front court players.

pmg911

« Reply #1083 on: March 09, 2012, 10:06:43 AM »
JaKarr does something very well that this team doesn't have, he can score from the post. He is outstanding at catching in the paint and facing up on his man. 

« Reply #1085 on: March 09, 2012, 01:38:06 PM »
http://fivestarbasketball.com/commitment-corner/03-09-2012-video-jakarr-sampson-reflects-on-ku-visit-providence-and-st-john-s

he thinks Cooley "is a clown"?  sounds like Cooley is trying to come off as the cool players' coach.

at least he still thinks him, dlo, and harkless can be deadly.

boo3

« Reply #1086 on: March 09, 2012, 01:56:49 PM »
 Damn, I need to stop reading this thread.  I had prepared myself that Jakarr was a lost cause and had accepted it, especially after '79 earlier posts.

Now , Im sucked back in. Getting my hopes up again.  He seems like a great kid and after watching the video i think we have a helluva chance. I'll be shocked if he goes to Prov.  Kansas scares me.  He would be a perfect for this team.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:57:07 PM by boo3 »

gman

« Reply #1087 on: March 09, 2012, 02:07:42 PM »
http://fivestarbasketball.com/commitment-corner/03-09-2012-video-jakarr-sampson-reflects-on-ku-visit-providence-and-st-john-s

he thinks Cooley "is a clown"?  sounds like Cooley is trying to come off as the cool players' coach.

If his best comments about provo is sidiki and cooley are clowns that is a bad soundclip for them. Don't like reading into these things.  He also sounds pretty well spoken for a kid that couldn't qualify. Come be with your boys. That trio could be killer!

kjd01067

« Reply #1088 on: March 09, 2012, 02:18:29 PM »

I thought the same thing about the clown reference. Who wants to play for a clown? I really hope we get Jakarr

DFF6

« Reply #1089 on: March 09, 2012, 02:21:41 PM »
This video is great for us, as it confirms we are firmly in the hunt: he's "bonded" with our guys, D'Lo, Moe and him can be deadly, still could do something "special" together.  Kansas fans (not the team) got a lot of love, and Cooley was called a clown three or four times.   Who knows what Jakarr ultimately decides, but after this video, you really have to like our chances.   

paultzman

« Reply #1090 on: March 09, 2012, 02:33:52 PM »
 ;)

derk

« Reply #1091 on: March 09, 2012, 03:39:16 PM »

Lavor was no prize offensively his first year either.  Like Dom, Lavor was highly rated, top 60, and developed his game.  Dom's gonna be a four year player here and I think he's going to become better every year.  He's already an impact player on defense.  His offense will come around.

I'm sure he'll improve every year. He really needs to start on the offense. Needs a lot of work, dribbling, handle, shooting, being less aggressive on offense. Sometimes the break just is not there. It's no shame to pull up instead of trying to dribble through a crowd of 3 -4 players. A lot of these kids make that mistake.

derk

« Reply #1092 on: March 09, 2012, 03:46:59 PM »

I thought the same thing about the clown reference. Who wants to play for a clown? I really hope we get Jakarr

Far be it from me to be an expert on the vernacular of today's 18 year old kids, but I think "being a clown" is a good thing. That being said we are right there. A little help from Moe and D'Lo please  ;)

Tha Kid

« Reply #1093 on: March 09, 2012, 03:50:07 PM »
Paultzman...is that winky face a signal that we're set and "the fix is in" a la The Sting? ;)
"I drink and I know things"

desco80

« Reply #1094 on: March 09, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
Don't think anybody posted this yet but Dave Telep had an article on Jakarr on ESPN Insider today..

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/dave-telep/post/_/id/1039/friars-gators-next-up-to-host-sampson

The gist is that Jakarr is down to Providence, Florida, Kansas, Baylor, and St Johns.   (No surprises there, although no Louisville anymore) 
And that he's going to look to take 2 more official visits: Florida and Providence.
Sampson says he couldn't decide if he had to choose today, although Cooley has been recruiting him the hardest he says.
Telep's take is:
"You get the feeling that Sampson could be the kind of guy who hits it off with the players and makes his decision based on gut feel. All of the teams on his list like to score, some would use his length better than others but each could use a guy with his skill set."

And it ends with some direct quotes from Jakarr about what he's looking for:
“It has to be a perfect fit,” Sampson said. “That’s what got to be perfect. If it’s not right you’ll be unhappy. The ideal fit is a team that will let me play defense, get after it, play up tempo and let me get after.”

“That’s the tough part. You start looking at the rosters and where you can see yourself fit in: who got who, who’s coming in behind you. I’m a competitor so I don’t think about that aspect a lot but it kind of do think about it.”

« Reply #1095 on: March 09, 2012, 05:03:57 PM »
i wish we could get him to come back to campus for a visit. what's holding that back?

Happy

« Reply #1096 on: March 09, 2012, 05:06:41 PM »
Cooley might be recruiting him the hardest.. But he is also The closest to him as well.  A trip from Providence to New Hampshire is about 90 miles away. 

desco80

« Reply #1097 on: March 09, 2012, 05:21:14 PM »
Cooley might be recruiting him the hardest.. But he is also The closest to him as well.  A trip from Providence to New Hampshire is about 90 miles away.

It is close.  I don't know the basketball scene like some other posters, but based on what the kids say, I think Cooley has really been able to build a rapport with recruits.   For whatever reason he's been able to connect with kids, they like him.   My take is Cooley is a real threat for Jakarr.
And definitely for Obekpa and Sanchez. 

I'd be interested to hear what people think of him as a recruiter, because even without Noel he's bringing in some real talent, and is still in the hunt for two of our top recruits (Sampson and Chris O) as well.

LJSA

« Reply #1098 on: March 09, 2012, 05:22:55 PM »

While on the topic, Seton Hall recruited Anderson the hardest...

paultzman

« Reply #1099 on: March 09, 2012, 05:32:40 PM »
Don't know for sure, but told Sampson back in Ohio, perhaps sorting things out. IMO, better for us with home based folks around him more open to SJU than his HS coach.  Not groundbreaking news, but I thought  I'd share it.