Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies

Moose

Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #280 on: August 07, 2011, 04:54:46 PM »
Jakarr is at least 6'10" from what I've seen, which is a good thing for us.   He needs to work on some post moves, but he's got really good hands and finishes well around the hoop.  The one thing he has which we haven't had for a long time is fantastic shot blocking ability.  Can't wait to see how he develops.  Jakarr is another kid with a high ceiling.  He is a real good handler in the open court, and gets down with long strides.  The point made that these kids really like each other.  That was by Lavin having them call, text each other all the time as soon as coming on board.  It's great for chemistry.  Another tweet the other day was from Sir'Dom hanging out with buddies Stith and Phil Greene.  These kids are going to have a great time and will get us to another level in a year or two.  Thanks for the reports.

I think you meant Pelle is 6'10 not Jakarr.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #281 on: August 07, 2011, 05:00:59 PM »
Yes Moose, I did mean Pelle. 

« Reply #282 on: August 07, 2011, 07:45:47 PM »
Yea i agree Norvel is 6'10". Amir is every bit of 6'6" and Jakarr had a couple inches on him, while Pelle had a couple on Jakarr. Norvel's shot is not too bad and he has a lil crossover but Kingdome is a small court so help is 1 step away. That being said it made it more impressive that Jakarr and  Amir got to the hole as often as they did. While they all had highlite dunks blocks and moves none of them showboated, hung on rim, just played ball and had fun together doing it

« Reply #283 on: August 07, 2011, 11:05:55 PM »
I'm intrigued to see how Garrett and Sampson's games translate this year. I think both will be very good defenders and good in the open court but might struggle in half court sets. Hopefully they both work hard in their perimeter shot to open lanes for them because as of now neither seem consistent scorers outside of the paint

MCNPA

« Reply #284 on: August 07, 2011, 11:33:02 PM »
I'm intrigued to see how Garrett and Sampson's games translate this year. I think both will be very good defenders and good in the open court but might struggle in half court sets. Hopefully they both work hard in their perimeter shot to open lanes for them because as of now neither seem consistent scorers outside of the paint

Different players.  Jakarr is a bit bigger and has more ability to go both inside and out.  Best thing about Jakarr is that he's freakishly quick for his size.  His first step can be dangerous and he has a good arsenal of moves getting o the basket and finishing. He's got big hands and really gets around the court.  If Jakarr can get to the point where he's a reliable shooter to range, he can be monster.  Some compare him to a guy like Hakim Warrick, and that is spot on. I do think we'll be using him at PF a bit, so some of the outside shooting onus will go to others first.

We will likely struggle as a team shooting-wise because we are all freshmen, and there is no doubt that our players all have strides to make.  Hopefully we can find enlighten outside shooting overall as a team to balance things out.  Harrison, Harkless, Lindsey can all score and will need to. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:34:17 PM by MCNPA »

Marillac

« Reply #285 on: August 08, 2011, 02:39:09 PM »

I think Garrett will be solid in the half court.  I see him as a more versatile Paris Horne.  I think he'll spend a lot of time in the corners like Paris for set shots, but will be able to take the ball to the rim if ball movement and/or screens give him the space.  That was the major weakness of Paris' game.  He has shown fine passing ability as well as being able to be a menace on the boards. 

To me, he looks like the most complete forward we have right now in that he doesn't have a glaring weakness.  I expect him to be more under control and patient than Pointer.  I think Pointer will be sensational, but I do expect him to make a ton of mistakes and play sloppy this coming year.  I think Jakkar will be at both ends.  His passing ability is pretty incredible for a kid his size and he has the ability to get the rebound and go.  I think he learns quickly that he won't be able to take it the length of the court as a freshman and starts to give it u to a guard after a few dribbles. 

MCNPA

« Reply #286 on: August 08, 2011, 03:23:08 PM »

I think Garrett will be solid in the half court.  I see him as a more versatile Paris Horne.  I think he'll spend a lot of time in the corners like Paris for set shots, but will be able to take the ball to the rim if ball movement and/or screens give him the space.  That was the major weakness of Paris' game.  He has shown fine passing ability as well as being able to be a menace on the boards. 

To me, he looks like the most complete forward we have right now in that he doesn't have a glaring weakness.  I expect him to be more under control and patient than Pointer.  I think Pointer will be sensational, but I do expect him to make a ton of mistakes and play sloppy this coming year.  I think Jakkar will be at both ends.  His passing ability is pretty incredible for a kid his size and he has the ability to get the rebound and go.  I think he learns quickly that he won't be able to take it the length of the court as a freshman and starts to give it u to a guard after a few dribbles.

I still think Amir's big weakness is his handle with his left hand.  He also need to make his shooting more reliable.  As far as Jakarr goes, I think his handle in the open court is a lot better than you realize.  Pointer is being undersold.  He's fantastic at slashing through traffic.  Certainly can tighten up his handle, but he'll be a demon.  What I love about all our players is their versatility.  All are great athletes that can get on the break, shoot well enough, rebound, block shots etc.  We don't lose much subbing in and out.

Moose

« Reply #287 on: August 08, 2011, 03:36:38 PM »

I still think Amir's big weakness is his handle with his left hand.  He also need to make his shooting more reliable.  As far as Jakarr goes, I think his handle in the open court is a lot better than you realize.  Pointer is being undersold.  He's fantastic at slashing through traffic.  Certainly can tighten up his handle, but he'll be a demon.  What I love about all our players is their versatility.  All are great athletes that can get on the break, shoot well enough, rebound, block shots etc.  We don't lose much subbing in and out.

Amir's trouble is his left hand dribble.  He's a lefty.

Not to put words in your mouth but if his left dribble is a problem to you then he must be a really bad dribbler.  Mostly peoples weakness is their off hand.  So if your saying his left is bad I cringe to think what his right hand is like to you :)

« Reply #288 on: August 08, 2011, 03:41:49 PM »

Amir's strong hand (left) is weak? Or did you mean right hand handle? Agree on Dom's slashing ability. It should not be neutralized as often as other players will encounter on the move up from HS ball.

As far as shooting, I like to look at the shooting mechanics of incoming players.  If they're solid, it'll make the transition to finishing contested jumpers (that were not contested nearly as much in HS) a little bit faster.  Another area I like to watch is how the 2-4 slots do with the catch and shoot.  In HS, quite often a player can just get to the hole for a close in shot due to quick first step and explosion after catching a pass.  I will look at how they develop at getting a shot off right after a pass, especially off a screen.

« Reply #289 on: August 08, 2011, 03:42:41 PM »

Not to put words in your mouth but if his left dribble is a problem to you then he must be a really bad dribbler.  Mostly peoples weakness is their off hand.  So if your saying his left is bad I cringe to think what his right hand is like to you :)
was writing my post as you posted Moose - we both thought the same thing  :)

MCNPA

« Reply #290 on: August 08, 2011, 03:50:19 PM »

Yes Moose, it was his right I was speaking of or his "off" hand.  I have to say though, you really are becoming a pain in the butt as the thought police though.   :knuppel2: ;)

Moose

« Reply #291 on: August 08, 2011, 04:35:13 PM »

Yes Moose, it was his right I was speaking of or his "off" hand.  I have to say though, you really are becoming a pain in the butt as the thought police though.   :knuppel2: ;)

I would chalk it up to your iPad but I don't think it corrects right to left :)

« Reply #292 on: August 08, 2011, 04:38:35 PM »
I think Mo Hark is a lil more along than Jakarr in terms of competin at a high level right away.
But Im glad we got both cause they gonna tear it up. No doubt.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Moose

« Reply #293 on: August 08, 2011, 04:48:53 PM »
I think Mo Hark is a lil more along than Jakarr in terms of competin at a high level right away.

Absolutely.

Marillac

« Reply #294 on: August 08, 2011, 04:51:27 PM »

Mo is far and away our best offensive forward.  Defensively he looks like he's behind Pointer and Garret for sure and Sampson is a great shot blocker that'll likely see time at the four.  I'd like to see Mo become a big creator and not settle for just being one of the guys.  He needs to be a primary option. 

Lavin has his work cutout for him.  When you bring in this many elite players for 2-3 positions, it is going to be fierce.  It's impossible to predict what will happen.  What's the difference between a guy ranked 40 and a guy ranked 70? 

« Reply #295 on: August 08, 2011, 05:16:36 PM »

Mo is far and away our best offensive forward.  Defensively he looks like he's behind Pointer and Garret for sure and Sampson is a great shot blocker that'll likely see time at the four.  I'd like to see Mo become a big creator and not settle for just being one of the guys.  He needs to be a primary option. 

Lavin has his work cutout for him.  When you bring in this many elite players for 2-3 positions, it is going to be fierce.  It's impossible to predict what will happen.  What's the difference between a guy ranked 40 and a guy ranked 70? 

30 slots.   ;D   I see all these kids being able to bring something to the table at some point.  It's certainly gonna be interesting. 
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:19:09 PM by mjdinkins »

MCNPA

« Reply #296 on: August 08, 2011, 05:37:35 PM »
Lavin already said this year would be the toughest job he's ever had to do.  I don't doubt it.  Great raw materials and rewards to be had if it can come together.  In the Big East, there is a fine line between disappointing year and a good one.  SJU could grab the 10th or 11th Big East bid into the tourney and be dancing.  Or 11 or 12 could be sitting at home.  I hope we can sneak into one of the bottom spots.  Not out of the question.

Marillac

« Reply #297 on: August 08, 2011, 06:09:19 PM »
Lavin already said this year would be the toughest job he's ever had to do.  I don't doubt it.  Great raw materials and rewards to be had if it can come together.  In the Big East, there is a fine line between disappointing year and a good one.  SJU could grab the 10th or 11th Big East bid into the tourney and be dancing.  Or 11 or 12 could be sitting at home.  I hope we can sneak into one of the bottom spots.  Not out of the question.

I think the Big East is a nine bid conference this year due to the perceived lackluster performance last year.  Also, the conferences that were down last year likely will be better.  I think we take some big lumps, but the SOS could be a savior once again.

MCNPA

« Reply #298 on: August 08, 2011, 07:08:11 PM »

I think the Big East is a nine bid conference this year due to the perceived lackluster performance last year.  Also, the conferences that were down last year likely will be better.  I think we take some big lumps, but the SOS could be a savior once again.

If there is a borderline SJU team this season with a SOS ranked #1, which I'm pretty confident it will be, then it will make it tough for the NCAA committee to turn us down.  Not just us.  Teams like WVU, Notre Dame and maybe even Georgetown Nova I think we can creep ahead if we play well down the stretch.  It will be a brutal Big East again, but lots of those schools lost top players.  Not going to be easy for Georgetown without Wright and Freeman.  Those guys were their bread and butter.  Notre Dame without Hansbrough, Carleton Scott, Nash etc..  We will struggle for sure, but with our SOS and RPI I'm hoping we can sneak one of those lower spots into the NCAA's.  We'll see.  Our league just needs to do what we have been and win our OOC games...

« Reply #299 on: August 08, 2011, 08:54:50 PM »

If there is a borderline SJU team this season with a SOS ranked #1, which I'm pretty confident it will be, then it will make it tough for the NCAA committee to turn us down.  Not just us.  Teams like WVU, Notre Dame and maybe even Georgetown Nova I think we can creep ahead if we play well down the stretch.  It will be a brutal Big East again, but lots of those schools lost top players.  Not going to be easy for Georgetown without Wright and Freeman.  Those guys were their bread and butter.  Notre Dame without Hansbrough, Carleton Scott, Nash etc..  We will struggle for sure, but with our SOS and RPI I'm hoping we can sneak one of those lower spots into the NCAA's.  We'll see.  Our league just needs to do what we have been and win our OOC games...
Why not us? Why cant we be good? I dont think we will be a top Big East team but plenty of teams have had a loaded freshman class and have faced success. No doubt we take our lumps and growing pains but i'm more interested to see this team in late Feb and March rather then November. At the end of the year we can be very dangerous