Dom Pointer - overall progress

• 95 replies
Re: Dom Pointer - overall progress
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 05:26:15 PM »
Pointer is an athlete who happens to play basketball, if hes the mvp next season, we are in the CBI. Again

He's is the epitome of a roll player. He has the potential to be a great one though.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 05:28:53 PM »
Pointer is an athlete who happens to play basketball, if hes the mvp next season, we are in the CBI. Again

no. he's going to be our MVP b/c he's our most well rounded player (i think). he's our glue and hustle guy too. JKS will get his points, obekpa will get his blocks, sanchez will get who knows what, harrison will chuck 3's, and greene will run around in circles. 

pointer has the best balance on the team.

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 05:56:57 PM »

The most well-rounded player sat on the bench all season.
And I aint talkin bout Hooooooper.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 06:11:13 PM »

The most well-rounded player sat on the bench all season.
And I aint talkin bout Hooooooper.

Yessir! Primo

crgreen

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 06:17:54 PM »

He's is the epitome of a roll player. He has the potential to be a great one though.

Nothing wrong with a role player.  Been posting here since his high school senior year, I think he has the potential to be a Michael Cooper-level player, only bigger.   And that ain't bad.  Coop, as a college senior was a 16pt, 5-1/2 rebound guy for New Mexico.   
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:18:45 PM by crgreen »

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 06:20:05 PM »
Crgreen, we need more role players

Moose

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 06:22:06 PM »
Crgreen, we need more role players

Disagree.
We have too many.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2013, 06:39:56 PM »
Whose our rebounder/hustler type?

MCNPA

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2013, 06:51:14 PM »
Just wondering.  Not trying to start a war just want to know honest opinion from all not just the OP.

Special 4 year player- Should a guy like Dom who was Top 50 be a special 4 year player?  Shouldn't they be special a lot sooner than that?

I think Dom was overrated at top 50.  He jumped late based on good play late in the season.  Prior, Dom was top 100 I think somewhere in the 80's or 90's.  He's only a soph now and is a do-it-all player.  Besides scoring he does about everything else.  What more do we want out of a soph?

Moose

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2013, 07:04:26 PM »
Just wondering.  Not trying to start a war just want to know honest opinion from all not just the OP.

Special 4 year player- Should a guy like Dom who was Top 50 be a special 4 year player?  Shouldn't they be special a lot sooner than that?

I think Dom was overrated at top 50.  He jumped late based on good play late in the season.  Prior, Dom was top 100 I think somewhere in the 80's or 90's.  He's only a soph now and is a do-it-all player.  Besides scoring he does about everything else.  What more do we want out of a soph?

Some had him in the late 20's no?  Telep?  Arguably the best evaluator out there.

I know you think I'm being negative and argumentative but for a player that highly rated that isn't a big man I'd like a consistent jumper.

boo3

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 07:08:16 PM »

Some had him in the late 20's no?  Telep?  Arguably the best evaluator out there.

I know you think I'm being negative and argumentative but for a player that highly rated that isn't a big man I'd like a consistent jumper.

If he continues to improve like he has from year 1 to year 2, I think a consistent jumper isn't unreasonable to expect.  Now if you think he should already have it by now, then  I don't know what to tell you. 

Maybe your expectations were too high or the experts were misleading or flat out wrong.  Probably the latter. 

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 07:14:15 PM »

Looks like his RSCI was #35

Telep had him #24

http://statsheet.com/bhsb/players/dominique-pointer

And you can compare the top 100 here:
http://statsheet.com/bhsb/recruiting_class/2011

Moose

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 07:14:20 PM »
Just for comparison purposes.  Rivals player in front of Dom was LaQuentin Ross.  Behind him was Alex Murphy.  I don't think this helps or hurts either point since Dom plays 10 more mpg.  Strong shooting % but we know its mostly not jumpers.  Food for thought.  I do know Ross can shoot though from seeing him.  Murphy could be disappointing but I thought he moved up from 12 class to 11.  Not sure if it was his natural class or just jumping early.

Ross sat out part of last year ala Amir.  Below are SOPH numbers.

16.7 mpg
7.4 ppg
2.9 rpg
.4 apg
47% from field
35% from 3
77% from line

Murphy sat out all last year.
7.0 mpg
2.4 ppg
1.1 rpg
0 apg
27-54 from field (50%)
5-23 from 3 (22%)
5-12 from FT (42%)

Dom-
26.1 mpg
6.7 ppg
5.5 rpg
2.7 apg (most impressive IMO)
50% from the field
30% from 3
67% from line
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 07:16:06 PM by Moose »

Tiznow

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2013, 07:49:52 PM »
His numbers are impressive.  I hope he takes a lot more shots.

Also, he needs to dominate on the glass.  His prior two games were a good sign - I think he had 14 and 12.

There is a good reason why ND hated him.  He's a hell of a player.

ras

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2013, 07:54:37 PM »
Last year he was great on D, but on offensive liabiliy. He has really turned his offensive game around and I do not see why he cant continue to do so.

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2013, 08:24:20 PM »

No...ratings don't measure a kids level of development. Some max out at a early age. Those are the ones who are labeled as "busts" in college. Some develop slower, maybe they started playing ball late, or just genetics, muscle development wasn't there in High School and were "sleepers". Of all the players' Lavin brought in who were highly rated, I felt Garrett was the one with least upside. He's very athletic, but he's a baseball player, and that will have a huge impact on his development, or lack of. That being said, I think Dom is playing up to his ranking, and believe he will get better.
Think Dom is one of those kids whose trajectory was a bit flatter during year 1 but is definitely on the rise in most aspects...and while there is no excuse for throwing a punch, he appears to be a good kid...

And, by the way, Len Robbins is the quintessential opportunist -- not privy to anything that went on between Dom and Biedscheid or Knight, nor the history that led to Garrett's confrontation with GT -- but he is absolute in his position that these issues were all on the SJ player...he is always wrong but never in doubt
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:25:30 PM by section3 »

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2013, 08:27:22 PM »

If he continues to improve like he has from year 1 to year 2, I think a consistent jumper isn't unreasonable to expect.  Now if you think he should already have it by now, then  I don't know what to tell you. 

Maybe your expectations were too high or the experts were misleading or flat out wrong.  Probably the latter.
Actually think there is a better chance of his outside shooting % improving than Greene's...

crgreen

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2013, 08:31:41 PM »
Just for comparison purposes.  Rivals player in front of Dom was LaQuentin Ross.  Behind him was Alex Murphy.  I don't think this helps or hurts either point since Dom plays 10 more mpg.  Strong shooting % but we know its mostly not jumpers.  Food for thought.  I do know Ross can shoot though from seeing him.  Murphy could be disappointing but I thought he moved up from 12 class to 11.  Not sure if it was his natural class or just jumping early.

16.7 mpg
7.4 ppg
2.9 rpg
.4 apg
47% from field
35% from 3
77% from line

7.0 mpg
2.4 ppg
1.1 rpg
0 apg
27-54 from field (50%)
5-23 from 3 (22%)
5-12 from FT (42%)

Dom-
26.1 mpg
6.7 ppg
5.5 rpg
50% from the field
30% from 3
67% from line

Taking that farther - and I'm not arguing Dom is "great"  -  just that as a top 50, not really  overrated.   Others ahead of him in the consensus ratings included Josiah Turner and Nick Johnson of Arizona (I'd take Dom in a heartbeat over either - Turner's essentially of of basketball right now).  Levi Randolph of 'Bama.  Michael Gbinije at Duke (already "moving on" after a 5 min a game frosh year).    And those guys were all "top  THIRTY".   Top 50 WINGS  included  Nick Faust of Maryland.  Sam Thompson of Ohio State.  Ky Madden is a 4pt scorer at Arkansas this year.  Dai-Jon Parker at Vandy.  Dorian Finney-Smith at VT.   

Given the two year production/performace of all of the above, I don't see in any way Sir Dom's position was overrated.

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2013, 08:41:55 PM »

16.7 mpg
7.4 ppg
2.9 rpg
.4 apg
47% from field
35% from 3
77% from line

7.0 mpg
2.4 ppg
1.1 rpg
0 apg
27-54 from field (50%)
5-23 from 3 (22%)
5-12 from FT (42%)

Dom-
26.1 mpg
6.7 ppg
5.5 rpg
50% from the field
30% from 3
67% from line

Taking that farther - and I'm not arguing Dom is "great"  -  just that as a top 50, not really  overrated.   Others ahead of him in the consensus ratings included Josiah Turner and Nick Johnson of Arizona (I'd take Dom in a heartbeat over either - Turner's essentially of of basketball right now).  Levi Randolph of 'Bama.  Michael Gbinije at Duke (already "moving on" after a 5 min a game frosh year).    And those guys were all "top  THIRTY".   Top 50 WINGS  included  Nick Faust of Maryland.  Sam Thompson of Ohio State.  Ky Madden is a 4pt scorer at Arkansas this year.  Dai-Jon Parker at Vandy.  Dorian Finney-Smith at VT.   

Given the two year production/performace of all of the above, I don't see in any way Sir Dom's position was overrated.

CR are you not a fan of nick Johnson's game?  I like Dom a lot but I think I would choose nick.

boo3

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2013, 08:47:14 PM »
 Could imagine Nick and D-lo in the same backcourt?   Haha... the old men at the other place would have already had meltdowns of epic proportions.