When should Lavin come back?

• 64 replies
When should Lavin come back?
« on: January 17, 2012, 02:36:58 PM »
Bball_fan's posts regarding rumors of the team's unhappiness with the program's situation got me thinking of when Lavin should come back.  While I don't necessarily agree with all of Bball_fan's posts, I'm also not closed to the fact that I'm sure there is skepticism on behalf of all the players and their future at St. John's.  It's a really tough situation to be in as a freshmen.

With that in mind, and it seems to me that the players do not seem to respond to Dunlap's teaching methods, I think it's important for Lavin to come back at least for the last two weeks of the season.  It's important for the team to get a sense of how Lavin runs practices, games, etc.  It gives them something to look forward to next season.  If not, I'm afraid Dunlap can leave a sour taste. 

Lavin HAS TO give something for these guys to look forward too.

My 2 cents.

Re: When should Lavin come back?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 02:39:27 PM »
If his Health i s good I would like to see him come back Feb 1st

Moose

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 02:53:20 PM »
I'll say UCLA game.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 03:01:20 PM »
Are we still having this discussion ::)

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 03:04:24 PM »
Are we still having this discussion ::)

I thought there was a thread already in reference to this topic. 

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 03:08:56 PM »
It certainly appears that he is not coming back this season. If he does great it would be a nice surprise. Otherwise as long as he can come back 100% healthy next season we should really stop speculating.

desco80

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 03:19:23 PM »
I think a lot of it has to do with recruiting.  If he feels he's behind for some of our targets and needs to be pounding the pavement, then I think he may stick to Sampson, Gathers, and Obekpa like glue for the rest of the season.  Plus, I don't doubt that his condition makes him more suited to engage in that type of work.  And if he thinks it's in the best interest of the team to use his limited energy like that; I'm not going to second guess him. 

Second, I STRONGLY disagree with your implication that the players don't respond to Dunlap's teaching methods.  J Branch did nothing but rave about the coaching staff and the teaching they did in practice.  Initially, the freshmen may have bucked a little.  But that's natural, we all know they were big talents who were coming from very unstructured basketball.   I think by this point in the season they've seen that you win by doing the little things they are learning: setting picks, moving without the ball, spacing on D, etc etc.   

I don't know where this notion came from that the players were "fooled" into thinking Dunlap wouldn't play a big part in their basketball future.  Sure, they signed up to play for Lavs, but anyone around the program saw that he trusts Dunlap with quite a bit of responsibility.  It wasn't uncommon last year to see coach Lav turn the huddle over to Dunlap during timeouts.   And these recruits were sitting behind the bench, so they clearly saw that as well.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:20:00 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 03:43:14 PM »
He should come back when the doctors clear him to come back and he feels ready to come back.  Who the hell cares about the basketball crap, I just want Lavin healthy.

crgreen

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 03:55:09 PM »
When he's freaking READY.  Not before.

kjd01067

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 03:55:28 PM »
He should come back when the doctors clear him to come back and he feels ready to come back.  Who the hell cares about the basketball crap, I just want Lavin healthy.

Agreed. I am all about the wins and losses, but I also watched my brother almost die from brain cancer and there are just more important things in life and coaches health is one of them.  One recruit or even 10 recruits for that matter isn't worth coach risking his health.

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 04:12:15 PM »
I'll say UCLA game.

That setting would certainly appeal to Lavin's flair for the dramatic.

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 04:17:02 PM »
Feb. 5 at 7:04 p.m.
Otherwise the program is dooooomed.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 04:20:45 PM »
I was thinking March 17th at noon.

If not by then all SJU fans of Irish descent will officially abandon the program leaving only those ethnic groups deemed too bored to celebrate the Patron Saint of Ireland as devout followers.

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 04:27:49 PM »
March 17th at noon all right.

Those truly of Irish descent remain oblivious to the fact until March 18.

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 04:35:36 PM »
This topic is beaten to death. He'll be back when he's ready. Why speculate? debate?

Also if anyone couldn't tell a majority of the posters above feel the same way and are using extreme sarcasm to make their point.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 12:15:44 AM »
Yesterday.

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 05:15:54 AM »
Seton Hall. Or maybe never

Poison

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 08:20:41 AM »
What's the hurry? Dunlap is doing just fine. He has two D2 National Championships, ya know.

MCNPA

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 08:32:08 AM »
Lavin will be back when he's ready.  He's recruiting for 2014 and 2015 recruiting classes, which is a sign that he's not going anywhere.  If we have to be without him this season, then so be it.   The most important thing right now is that our team continues to learn under the staff and compete hard the rest of the season.  They'll take a TON away from this season and all the PT they are getting.  The other uber-important thing is to land a real good 2012 class.  Branch was a fantastic first pick up, but there is a lot of work to be done.  The kids on this roster want to win games.  To do so, we need a PG(Branch), and some beef at the PF/C spots and some depth overall.  If Lavin lands a good 2012 class with some of our coveted prospects and is back in the swing by the spring/summer, then everything is gravy. 

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 08:58:40 AM »
I predict the last home game of the season. During a timeout after our third straight shot clock violation Gene Keady will suddenly hit Dunlap over the head with a chair. He will than rip off his face/mask to reveal that it is Steve Lavin and he was there all along.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:59:45 AM by we are sju »