Butler

• 328 replies

desco80

Re: Butler
« Reply #300 on: December 30, 2016, 02:19:13 PM »
This is ridiculous.  No one in their right mind can honestly believe that Lovett doesn't start for basketball reasons.

That's like when Lavin would bench Sampson and Harrison and start Limcomsb because he had a "great week of practice and matches up well with Gerogetown".

Also, Marillac, for every Harrison who wanted to go pro but stayed, we have a Jordan or Lindsay who did it anyway. 

And as goredmen pointed out, everyone understands McMurray is a point guard except for you.  Stop bucking what's clearly settled information.

Also, you're wrong about us not switching on the high ball screens.  I don't have a video of the game, but numerous times we switched on those screens and ended up with Ponds or Lovett on one of their forwards.  Which they then fed in the post and took advantage of.

Yes.  Wideman had some easy baskets when we doubled or helped on D.  But those aren't the plays I'm referring to.

desco80

« Reply #301 on: December 30, 2016, 02:21:09 PM »
Grades come out yet?

Now you're stirring the pot !   Stop that.
Let us enjoy a good win without the indigestion that question implies. 

« Reply #302 on: December 30, 2016, 02:27:20 PM »
For those wondering about Lovett not starting last night, it was mentioned a few times that he pulled a muscle in practice during the week, which is why he did not start.  No reason to start him second half, when the team was playing well going into the break.  Most coaches come out second half the way they started, unless there was some kind of suspension and kid does not play entire 1st half or a drastic change needed to be made to get back in game.

He did almost play 30 minutes, so injury could not of been severe, and more importantly was in the game during crunch time.  That is what matters most.  I don't know if rumors are true of him leaving, but for now, there are no issues between him and Mullin. 

No idea about rumors of him leaving but would not be surprised.
Again not a big deal but him not starting def had something to do with some sort of punishment. Happens all the time, only reason I bring it up is that I can't believe anyone would suggest there would be a valid basketball reason for him not to start on this team. I won't let that go. It is the ST John's basketball equivalent of saying the Earth is flat.

Same Non Baldi people who told me they heard Jordan would sometimes take unauthorized sabbaticals said they heard Lovett sometimes is not the most prompt kid. Again not a big deal. People claiming it makes basketball sense for him not to start are crazy.

« Reply #303 on: December 30, 2016, 02:29:12 PM »
The groin injury sounds like BS. 

If you have an injury how do you still play 30 minutes ?  Did it heal in the few minutes not starting ?

« Reply #304 on: December 30, 2016, 02:30:31 PM »
I was surprised that Butler was the highest ranked team we beat in CA in 30+ years until I rethought that  we don't play ranked teams in CA normally. When we beat ranked teams it's usually in the Garden. I doubt there were no  more than small handful of ranked teams that beat us, if any at all, in Carnesseca Arena.Casn some of you remember the exceptions?
I do remember beating Loyola of Chicago when they were #1 or #2 , and beating Michigan State in the year they were Nat. Champs but both were before, or just after the startof,  the Big East when we entertained a slightly bigger home schedule.

« Reply #305 on: December 30, 2016, 02:32:46 PM »
For those wondering about Lovett not starting last night, it was mentioned a few times that he pulled a muscle in practice during the week, which is why he did not start.  No reason to start him second half, when the team was playing well going into the break.  Most coaches come out second half the way they started, unless there was some kind of suspension and kid does not play entire 1st half or a drastic change needed to be made to get back in game.

He did almost play 30 minutes, so injury could not of been severe, and more importantly was in the game during crunch time.  That is what matters most.  I don't know if rumors are true of him leaving, but for now, there are no issues between him and Mullin. 

Again not a big deal but him not starting def had something to do with some sort of punishment. Happens all the time, only reason I bring it up is that I can't believe anyone would suggest there would be a valid basketball reason for him not to start on this team. I won't let that go. It is the ST John's basketball equivalent of saying the Earth is flat.

Same Non Baldi people who told me they heard Jordan would sometimes take unauthorized sabbaticals said they heard Lovett sometimes is not the most prompt kid. Again not a big deal. People claiming it makes basketball sense for him not to start are crazy.

Pure speculation on my part, but Marcus was on social media the 2 days leading up to the game taking LIVE video Q&A on IG.   I know there isn't a social media ban like there was with Lavin, but who knows if this had something to do with it....  SPECULATION

« Reply #306 on: December 30, 2016, 02:34:11 PM »
This is ridiculous.  No one in their right mind can honestly believe that Lovett doesn't start for basketball reasons.

That's like when Lavin would bench Sampson and Harrison and start Limcomsb because he had a "great week of practice and matches up well with Gerogetown".

Also, Marillac, for every Harrison who wanted to go pro but stayed, we have a Jordan or Lindsay who did it anyway. 

And as goredmen pointed out, everyone understands McMurray is a point guard except for you.  Stop bucking what's clearly settled information.

Also, you're wrong about us not switching on the high ball screens.  I don't have a video of the game, but numerous times we switched on those screens and ended up with Ponds or Lovett on one of their forwards.  Which they then fed in the post and took advantage of.

Yes.  Wideman had some easy baskets when we doubled or helped on D.  But those aren't the plays I'm referring to.

Bunch of times we also got caught fake helping. Guy starts to come over but just drifts into no man's land. Leaves your guy open and does nothing for guy you were supposedly helping. The Knicks do that a lot

« Reply #307 on: December 30, 2016, 02:37:03 PM »

Pure speculation on my part, but Marcus was on social media the 2 days leading up to the game taking LIVE video Q&A on IG.   I know there isn't a social media ban like there was with Lavin, but who knows if this had something to do with it....  SPECULATION

He played 30 mins so probably not a big deal. Only reason I keep mentioning it is I can't believe people would say that it was a valid basketball decision.
Artest was the 6th man his Frosh year primarily because he was always late for stuff. Worked out ok for that team because they had other good players.

TONYD3

« Reply #308 on: December 30, 2016, 03:00:22 PM »
Just rewatched game.
Lovett led team huddle after the game. He seemed plenty invested. Pulled groin was mentioned a few times by Tarik turner during game. He didn't seem to be hurt at all.
Excellent game by our forwards. Yakwe and Williams especially.
Amar- don't understand why he plays at all:
Mullin- definitely most animated I ever saw him. Definitely looked in charge. Definitely think that had a big impact on the game.  St. Jean assisted, obvious who the head coach was.
Owens - looked a little hurt- hope he is ok

Poison

« Reply #309 on: December 30, 2016, 03:34:35 PM »
Just rewatched game.
Lovett led team huddle after the game. He seemed plenty invested. Pulled groin was mentioned a few times by Tarik turner during game. He didn't seem to be hurt at all.
Excellent game by our forwards. Yakwe and Williams especially.
Amar- don't understand why he plays at all:
Mullin- definitely most animated I ever saw him. Definitely looked in charge. Definitely think that had a big impact on the game.  St. Jean assisted, obvious who the head coach was.
Owens - looked a little hurt- hope he is ok

Mullin even joined the team in the huddle towards the end of the game. He took an eternity to get there, but I saw him sitting in the chair at least once.

Foad

« Reply #310 on: December 30, 2016, 03:49:58 PM »
Can some of you remember the exceptions?

Pretty sure I remember seeing Louisville at Alumni Hall in the mid 70s. I assume they were ranked.

« Reply #311 on: December 30, 2016, 04:04:55 PM »

Pretty sure I remember seeing Louisville at Alumni Hall in the mid 70s. I assume they were ranked.

We played BC at Alumni Hall. Those Bagley / Adams / Murphy teams weren't  ranked?
Or the Curley teams, though we maybe didn't beat them

« Reply #312 on: December 30, 2016, 04:12:37 PM »

We played BC at Alumni Hall. Those Bagley / Adams / Murphy teams weren't  ranked?

Think we played CUSE during swowstorm

Foad

« Reply #313 on: December 30, 2016, 04:29:27 PM »

They weren't ranked most of the time during most of the Michael Adams years. I would have thought they were - Michael Adams was a bitch. Briefly during the Curley years.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/big-east/1985.html

« Reply #314 on: December 30, 2016, 04:50:31 PM »

They weren't ranked most of the time during most of the Michael Adams years. I would have thought they were - Michael Adams was a bitch. Briefly during the Curley years.

http://www.sports-r

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/big-east/1985.html
eference.com/cbb/conferences/big-east/1985.html

We lost to 20th ranked Providence by 1 point at Alumni hall during their Final 4 year. At the time we were ranked 16 though.

« Reply #315 on: December 30, 2016, 05:26:05 PM »
The groin injury sounds like BS. 

If you have an injury how do you still play 30 minutes ?  Did it heal in the few minutes not starting ?
Plus he was one of the last substitutions

« Reply #316 on: December 30, 2016, 05:31:03 PM »
anyone who was there notice during one of the TV timeouts mullin was blasting the official the whole time out? Some of those calls were borderline horrific.

Marillac

« Reply #317 on: December 30, 2016, 05:40:54 PM »

I'm surprised to see you posting so absolutely about Lovett. There are plenty of basketball-related reasons to have him come off the bench. His biggest flaw early on has been him trying to do too much by himself. Having him come in even just 90 seconds after the start gives others a chance to get involved in the offensive flow. With Mussini out we have no scoring off the bench and we've started every game but one strong before routinely getting trampled at the under eight or under 12 mark. Having him come on later keeps one in the chamber instead of firing all the bullets to start the game and then watching helplessly as teams go on crazy runs. Butler scored like five or seven straight to start the second half and then guess who came in right away to stop the run? Also, he's coming off an injury and Mullin could have wanted to see how far he could get away with resting him with the quick turnaround for the DePaul game. Dion Waiters came off the bench for two years for Syracuse and was arguably their best player and the #4 overall pick in the draft.

As for the screening debate, we'll have to agree to disagree. I can only remember a few situations where Wideman was iso'ed on Ponds. Sadly, I think Ponds is our second best interior defender with his quick hands and IQ.  I think we'll see a lot more work to get Kelan Martin free next game and he'll respond to the tune of 20+ points .
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 05:43:23 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #318 on: December 30, 2016, 05:50:20 PM »

I'm surprised to see you posting so absolutely about Lovett. There are plenty of basketball-related reasons to have him come off the bench. His biggest flaw early on has been him trying to do too much by himself. Having him come in even just 90 seconds after the start gives others a chance to get involved in the offensive flow. With Mussini out we have no scoring off the bench and we've started every game but one strong before routinely getting trampled at the under eight or under 12 mark. Having him come on later keeps one in the chamber instead of firing all the bullets to start the game and then watching helplessly as teams go on crazy runs. Butler scored like five or seven straight to start the second half and then guess who came in right away to stop the run? Also, he's coming off an injury and Mullin could have wanted to see how far he could get away with resting him with the quick turnaround for the DePaul game. Dion Waiters came off the bench for two years for Syracuse and was arguably their best player and the #4 overall pick in the draft.

As for the screening debate, we'll have to agree to disagree. I can only remember a few situations where Wideman was iso'ed on Ponds. Sadly, I think Ponds is our second best interior defender with his quick hands and IQ.  I think we'll see a lot more work to get Kelan Martin free next game and he'll respond to the tune of 20+ points .
I thought we ended up with many mismatches as well. Funny, was sitting in front of these two 9 year olds who kept screaming for them to stop switching. Kids are either learning ball fast these days or they parrot their dad. Lol
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 05:51:04 PM by section3 »

Marillac

« Reply #319 on: December 30, 2016, 06:36:01 PM »

I thought we ended up with many mismatches as well. Funny, was sitting in front of these two 9 year olds who kept screaming for them to stop switching. Kids are either learning ball fast these days or they parrot their dad. Lol

Ha! I doubt we're switching bigs and guards by design. Even teams that "switch everything" will hedge and recover with big men unless they have freak athletes and big guards.  Butler got away with some very hard moving screens...some were blatant. Lovett appears to be susceptible to ball screens on the wings.

On the topic of screens, it should be noted that our bigs are excellent at diving to the basket after screens on the offensive end. The attention to detail and work to make that happen should not be underestimated. The NBA experience our staff has with that play could really be a big weapon for them at the college level.