SJU-Iona game thread

• 96 replies

Re: SJU-Iona game thread
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2017, 09:17:53 PM »
With fans like us our players don't need enemies.

desco80

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2017, 09:43:35 PM »
Justin Simon certainly is athletic, but makes too many bone head plays. Gonna hurt in big east. Owens was a savage today, love what I saw from him., Clark too. If Trimble is getting minutes in Big east play. Not a good sign.

He has one turnover in the last two games, I'll take his bonehead plays.
+1

desco80

« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2017, 09:48:12 PM »
I think shot selection has a lot to do with Ponds's shooting percentages from 3.    He didn't come here with a reputation as a sharpshooter, and put up surprisingly good shooting numbers as a frosh.  Now he's acting as if he has a green light inside half court (and maybe he does).
Either way, coaches need to stop this.   Get Marcus back to taking reasonable shots in rhythm.     We don't need 30ft fade-aways from him.

desco80

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2017, 09:49:47 PM »
Lovett not playing probably also creates less open opportunities for Ponds.  That's a reasonable assumption.    Not the whole story, but getting him back should help Ponds get back on track.   

redslope

« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2017, 09:54:45 PM »
Lovett not playing probably also creates less open opportunities for Ponds.  That's a reasonable assumption.    Not the whole story, but getting him back should help Ponds get back on track.   

I was thinking something similar as he might be feeling the pressure of not having Lovett on the floor with him.

Poison

« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2017, 10:05:20 PM »
Owens with another block and then shows how bad his hands are, lets a guard rip the ball out of his hands

He needs to get stronger. We all know that. He knows that. But come on, he outplayed anyone on Iona today. The proof is in Tariq Owens. 6 blocks. Respect.

« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2017, 10:33:21 PM »
Owens has been fantastic this year, really stepped up since Lovett’s injury. He’s never gonna be mistaken for Kennedy Meeks but kid can play and plays well.

« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2017, 10:45:11 PM »
Owens was arguably MVP today.

MCNPA

« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2017, 10:49:21 PM »
Owens was a beast.  He won't be a versatile offensive center, but defensively, he's not just blocks.  Moves feet well, attacks glass on offense, can even guard SF's.  Kid keeps getting better.  Imagine when he has 3-4 "colleagues" alongside next year?

« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2017, 08:54:30 AM »
Announced attendance was 9515.

TONYD3

« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2017, 09:47:03 AM »
I have seen much worse crowds. Especially for this festival. It didn’t seem half full though. Iona brought some fans. They seemed very happy to be playing in the garden.
Who is in charge of our schedule? We lose garden games.  Nova and seton hall play good teams in the garden. We played Grand Canyon at 11:30. We play Arizona State without tv. Next we play a bad st. Joes team at 4:30. That game could have been fun to go to. Not worth taking 2 days off from work

Johnny23

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2017, 09:53:30 AM »
I have seen much worse crowds. Especially for this festival. It didn’t seem half full though. Iona brought some fans. They seemed very happy to be playing in the garden.
Who is in charge of our schedule? We lose garden games.  Nova and seton hall play good teams in the garden. We played Grand Canyon at 11:30. We play Arizona State without tv. Next we play a bad st. Joes team at 4:30. That game could have been fun to go to. Not worth taking 2 days off from work

I was also kinda shocked to hear the announcers saying yesterday that this was the first of 5 reg season games at MSG for the Johnnies this year. Only 5? I would've thought more than that.

« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2017, 10:00:36 AM »
iona was trash, like watching the ucf game again.  iona is the type of team we should play in a half empty carnasecca. the holiday festival needs to step it up and get some excitement back to this game even if it isn't a local (but not penn state either).  they can't get uconn to come down for this game?

« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2017, 10:14:29 AM »
iona was trash, like watching the ucf game again.  iona is the type of team we should play in a half empty carnasecca. the holiday festival needs to step it up and get some excitement back to this game even if it isn't a local (but not penn state either).  they can't get uconn to come down for this game?

Make it a 2 day tournament again. A power team, St. John's and 2 locals.

Poison

« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2017, 10:21:16 AM »

That's not bad.

Marillac

« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2017, 10:31:44 AM »
Justin Simon certainly is athletic, but makes too many bone head plays. Gonna hurt in big east. Owens was a savage today, love what I saw from him., Clark too. If Trimble is getting minutes in Big east play. Not a good sign.

True, but his turnover lost us the Arizona St. game and then his completely unforced turnover tonight with around 5 minutes left brought Iona within 6-7 briefly. He has done a very impressive realizing his dribbling limitations in the half court the last few games (even more impressive with Lovett out) and has really kept it to 1-2 dribbles when he had the mismatch. In the open court, he's a demon.

« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2017, 10:31:45 AM »

That's not bad.

Army had decent fan support for game 1 (I was there for the second half of it), but most of the fans were there for Iona-SJU.  Iona had a pretty good number of fans, but it was still an overwhelmingly SJU crowd.  I'd say around 7500 was the actual attendance during our game.

Foad

« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2017, 10:38:51 AM »
St John's Iona recap: http://www.bigeastboards.com/

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2017, 10:43:35 AM »

True, but his turnover lost us the Arizona St. game and then his completely unforced turnover tonight with around 5 minutes left brought Iona within 6-7 briefly. He has done a very impressive realizing his dribbling limitations in the half court the last few games (even more impressive with Lovett out) and has really kept it to 1-2 dribbles when he had the mismatch. In the open court, he's a demon.
I agree his turnovers have been at very bad times so they stick out BUT, in simon's defense, he really shouldn't be bringing the ball up as much in crunch time but he has had to bc of lovett's injury