Seton Hall beats #19 USC!!!

• 30 replies

Marillac

Seton Hall beats #19 USC!!!
« on: November 20, 2008, 09:11:56 PM »
Wow what a game!!! SH somehow beats #19 USC without their second leading scorer and only seven players!!!

Say what you want about Bobby G, but he guy always makes good ajustments--they were down FIFTEEN (15) at half and came back--and he almost always scores out of a timeout. 

Cab Driver goes 1-8 from three all game but throws down a dunk and hits the game winning three 20 seconds later.

Coming out party for Garcia...something like 11 pts and 16 rebouds against Taj Gibson!!!

Randomhero423

Re: Seton Hall beats #19 USC!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 09:14:13 PM »
nice win...  I will say though Tim Floyd, imo, is a very unimpressive in-game coach.  he can recruit ($$$???), but he is not a good ingame coach at all.  how do you get demar only 4 shots?!?!  he's the best player on that team... he should be getting the oj mayo treatment.

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 09:40:42 PM »
No credit to Bobby G?

Randomhero423

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 09:47:14 PM »
he's a good coach in game.  he does deserve credit.  esp with only 7 scholarship players.

but when winning 43-28 at the half, you have to close it out, and you have to get your best players more touches.  i think floyd lost it just as much as bobby g won it. imo

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 09:50:04 PM »
he's a good coach in game.  he does deserve credit.  esp with only 7 scholarship players.

but when winning 43-28 at the half, you have to close it out, and you have to get your best players more touches.  i think floyd lost it just as much as bobby g won it. imo

Of course *eye roll*

Demar was chasing Hazell around all game.  That guy is not exactly an easy defensive assignment.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 08:55:54 AM »
Wow what a game!!! SH somehow beats #19 USC without their second leading scorer and only seven players!!!

Say what you want about Bobby G, but he guy always makes good ajustments--they were down FIFTEEN (15) at half and came back--and he almost always scores out of a timeout. 

Cab Driver goes 1-8 from three all game but throws down a dunk and hits the game winning three 20 seconds later.

Coming out party for Garcia...something like 11 pts and 16 rebouds against Taj Gibson!!!

garcia was good last year.

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 09:25:24 AM »
How'd OJ do?
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 09:58:35 AM »

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 10:57:22 AM »
coaching has never been the problem with bobby g. it's his temper, big mouth and some questionable recruits that have gotten him into trouble recently. i watched the game on ESPN-U and he clearly outcoached floyd. it looked like ucs fell asleep, thinking the game was over at the half. they swarmed their guards, crashed the boards and just flat out beat them up in the second half. not sure that with 7 or 8 guys they will be able to sustain that kind of effort night in and night out though. was real impressed with the theodore kid. ever wonder where we would be right now if we hired gonzalez over roberts? i do.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 11:00:57 AM by Cjax »

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 11:17:14 AM »
it looked like usc fell asleep

Exactly.  Gonzo had him right where he wanted them at the half!

wonder where we would be right now if we hired gonzalez over roberts? i do.

We'd be where Seton Hall is...8 Schollie players and all our hopes resting on whether Herb Pope will wait around til next year.  Not that great of a spot. 

BTW the Great Gonzo lost to both Rutgers and St. John's last year.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

gonzalo

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 12:09:46 PM »
No credit to Bobby G?

Of course not.

Imagine:

If we beat Syracuse, Georgetown, Louisville or Pitt, it would be because the bad coaching of Boeheim, Thompson, Pitino or Dixon.

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 01:17:44 PM »
How'd OJ do?

NBA

Exactly.

Cmon, you gotta be fir about this.  Does Gonzo cross the line quite a bit?  In my opinion (and many others') he does.  But the man can coach.  He's beaten a high-major with 7 scholarship players and he's easily handled the other 2 mid-majors he has played.  He is a very, very good coach.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 01:27:13 PM »
How'd OJ do?

NBA

Exactly.

Cmon, you gotta be fir about this.  Does Gonzo cross the line quite a bit?  In my opinion (and many others') he does.  But the man can coach.  He's beaten a high-major with 7 scholarship players and he's easily handled the other 2 mid-majors he has played.  He is a very, very good coach.

Like my grams say: "Even a broken clock is right twice a day."

Poison

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
How'd OJ do?

NBA

Exactly.

when was the last time we beat a ranked team? When was the last time we beat a good team?

And I could be wrong, but I think Terry Dehere graduated.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 02:31:07 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 01:32:38 PM »
it looked like usc fell asleep

Exactly.  Gonzo had him right where he wanted them at the half!

wonder where we would be right now if we hired gonzalez over roberts? i do.

We'd be where Seton Hall is...8 Schollie players and all our hopes resting on whether Herb Pope will wait around til next year.  Not that great of a spot. 

BTW the Great Gonzo lost to both Rutgers and St. John's last year.

When you have guards that can play with anyone, you can play with anyone.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 02:00:39 PM »
If this team remains healthy, they will be a fine.  If Herb Pope qualified this year they would be a sweet 16 team in IMO. 

Gause HAS TO stay healthy.  They were awesome last year, but when he went down they crashed.  I think he was more important to them than even Laing--which is really saying something.

I don't know what Robert "Stix' Mitchell missed the game yesterday, but the won't be able to beat Memphis today with no rest after the barnburner last night with seven guys.

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 02:32:42 PM »
This notion that UCLA is down is patently ridiculous.  The UCLA senior class is UCLA basketball.  Darren Collison, Josh Shipp, Alfred Aboya, and Michael Roll have been logging serious minutes since UCLA went on this run.  They each have three final fours under their belt--Shipp actually having four. Add to that redshirt junior, James Keefe.

The stars like Farmar, Love, Westbrook, etc have come and gone.  None staying for more than two years, but the team keeps rolling because of the core I listed above. 

You add to them two future lottery pick guards in Jrue Holliday and Malcom Lee and they still have as much talent 1-3 as any team in the country--if not more.

They might be a little light up front, but they also have one of the top four coaches in the country.

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 02:53:48 PM »
This notion that UCLA is down is patently ridiculous.  The UCLA senior class is UCLA basketball.  Darren Collison, Josh Shipp, Alfred Aboya, and Michael Roll have been logging serious minutes since UCLA went on this run.  They each have three final fours under their belt--Shipp actually having four. Add to that redshirt junior, James Keefe.

The stars like Farmar, Love, Westbrook, etc have come and gone.  None staying for more than two years, but the team keeps rolling because of the core I listed above. 

You add to them two future lottery pick guards in Jrue Holliday and Malcom Lee and they still have as much talent 1-3 as any team in the country--if not more.

They might be a little light up front, but they also have one of the top four coaches in the country.

Aboya, Keefe and Roll are role players.  UCLA lost 53% of their mins played, 58% of their scoring and 66% of their rebounding but you think they're not down.  Let me clarify, by down I mean they are more a 10-25 team than a surefire final four pick . . . it is all relative.  Yes the frosh guards are good but what they really need is Gordon or Morgan to make an impact as a frosh.  A little light up front is a bit of an understatement.

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 03:06:40 PM »
How'd OJ do?

NBA

Exactly.

when was the last time we beat a ranked team? When was the last time we beat a good team?

What that gotta do wit Hall ball?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 03:07:02 PM by Choz4Life »