Game 6: Missouri

• 254 replies
Re: Game 6: Missouri
« Reply #240 on: November 24, 2017, 08:27:58 PM »
The effort was amazing but the play was dumb. Why is Lovett not getting assists this year? He and Ponds need to touch the ball every possession. Simon had five ugly unforced turnovers in the half court and two others where he jumped for no reason with the ball and got bailed out. Post him up and let him use his strengths (vision, passing, long arms) while minimizing his high and loose handle. He's a 1-2 dribble player in the half court. Ponds doesn't make those mistakes.

This is a disappointing loss. Missouri is bubble team and we couldn't beat them on a neutral court without their best player and with 3 of their top 6 players being freshmen. Losers bracket.

Amen sister

« Reply #241 on: November 24, 2017, 08:58:51 PM »
The effort was amazing but the play was dumb. Why is Lovett not getting assists this year? He and Ponds need to touch the ball every possession. Simon had five ugly unforced turnovers in the half court and two others where he jumped for no reason with the ball and got bailed out. Post him up and let him use his strengths (vision, passing, long arms) while minimizing his high and loose handle. He's a 1-2 dribble player in the half court. Ponds doesn't make those mistakes.

This is a disappointing loss. Missouri is bubble team and we couldn't beat them on a neutral court without their best player and with 3 of their top 6 players being freshmen. Losers bracket.

Again, I don't understand calling Mizzou a bubble team, so early in the season.  We don't know that yet.  They could be a bubble team, a team who easily makes the tournament, or a team who ultimately flames out.  Too early to tell, IMO.

But, you said Seton Hall (paraphrased) would easily advance in the NCAA Tournament, but they lost what was practically a home game to Rhode Island who was missing (what you'd consider to be) one of their best players and a reserve player.

Disappointing loss?  Yes, being we was up 8 after trailing by 16, and in a position to finish off Mizzou.  Michael Porter, Jr. was likely their best player, but he only played 2 minutes the entire season.  Mizzou has a mixture of veteran players and youth.  They also have guys who can knock it in from deep, as well as a reliable inside presence or two.  Those are recipes for having a decent-to-good team. 

You have this thing about wanting to be right, and you start having biases about certain personnel.  Do I think Mullin should've stuck Simon in the middle of Mizzou's zone?  No doubt.  I think he would've excelled there.  I do agree, he should often post up.  Simon had some key turnovers today, but the main issues was rebounding, shot selection, and perimeter defense.

Frankly, we overcame the rebounding, but the latter two essentially did us in.     
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 09:11:06 PM by mjdinkins »

Marillac

« Reply #242 on: November 24, 2017, 09:20:28 PM »

Again, I don't understand calling Mizzou a bubble team, so early in the season.  We don't know that yet.  They could be a bubble team, a team who easily makes the tournament, or a team who ultimately flames out.  Too early to tell, IMO.

But, you said Seton Hall (paraphrased) would easily advance in the NCAA Tournament, but they lost what was practically a home game to Rhode Island who was missing (what you'd consider to be) one of their best players and a reserve player.

Disappointing loss?  Yes, being we was up 8 after trailing by 16, and in a position to finish off Mizzou.  Michael Porter, Jr. was likely their best player, but he only played 2 minutes the entire season.  Mizzou has a mixture of veteran players and youth.  They also have guys who can knock it in from deep, as well as a reliable inside presence or two.  Those are recipes for having a decent-to-good team. 

You have this thing about wanting to be right, and you start having biases about certain personnel.  Do I think Mullin should've stuck Simon in the middle of Mizzou's zone?  No doubt.  I think he would've excelled there.  I do agree, he should often post up.  Simon had some key turnovers today, but the main issues was rebounding, shot selection, and perimeter defense.

The announcers agreed. They said "Simon is having a bad game" and "Ponds needs to touch the ball every possession." This is after being handed the notes from Mullin that Simon can be a third PG before the games.

SH and and SJU are a lot alike as programs. It seems like neither of us is ever going to break through. We had a clear path to the championship of a weak 8-team tournament and we almost blow it to 2-3 Oregon who won single-digit games last year (and lost to Lokg Beach State today) and then lose to a mediocre high major? WV would best us by 30.

« Reply #243 on: November 24, 2017, 09:25:11 PM »

The announcers agreed. They said "Simon is having a bad game" and "Ponds needs to touch the ball every possession." This is after being handed the notes from Mullin that Simon can be a third PG before the games.

SH and and SJU are a lot alike as programs. It seems like neither of us is ever going to break through. We had a clear path to the championship of a weak 8-team tournament and we almost blow it to 2-3 Oregon who won single-digit games last year (and lost to Lokg Beach State today) and then lose to a mediocre high major? WV would best us by 30.

I said, Ponds need to basically touch the ball every possession. 

IMO, West Virginia plays a style of ball that would be conducive to what we like to do.  But, maybe their grit and overall toughness would wear on us.  Unfortunately, we won't get that opportunity.

« Reply #244 on: November 24, 2017, 09:30:12 PM »
LP and Simon played 38, 39 and 40 minutes in a back to back with less than a 24 hour turnaround following an ultra competitive come from behind victory that required a full out effort.

Wasn't gonna be easy.

« Reply #245 on: November 24, 2017, 09:33:03 PM »
Every loss is going to be so over analyzed...

goredmen

« Reply #246 on: November 24, 2017, 10:04:53 PM »

Seton Hall has won the Big East Tournament, will make the tournament for the 3rd year in a row this year and will still flirt with being a top 25 team all year. If that's not breaking through then I don't know what will make people happy

Marillac

« Reply #247 on: November 24, 2017, 11:14:28 PM »

Seton Hall has won the Big East Tournament, will make the tournament for the 3rd year in a row this year and will still flirt with being a top 25 team all year. If that's not breaking through then I don't know what will make people happy
Nothing matters but the dance. No matter how loaded both teams are they seem to fall short while Xavier and Butler alway overachieved. SH is way better than us but they only have two first round victories since 1993 and haven't won a tournament game since 2004. Reality is starting to set in big time. We're never going to be good again.

Poison

« Reply #248 on: November 24, 2017, 11:47:48 PM »

Nothing matters but the dance. No matter how loaded both teams are they seem to fall short while Xavier and Butler alway overachieved. SH is way better than us but they only have two first round victories since 1993 and haven't won a tournament game since 2004. Reality is starting to set in big time. We're never going to be good again.

What happened? Did you lose a puppy?

Marillac

« Reply #249 on: November 25, 2017, 12:07:41 AM »

I'm in the middle of a 14 day fast (only water) so maybe I'll be less grumpy when it's over.

paultzman

« Reply #250 on: November 25, 2017, 11:39:06 AM »

+1

« Reply #251 on: November 25, 2017, 11:49:12 AM »

I'm in the middle of a 14 day fast (only water) so maybe I'll be less grumpy when it's over.

Yeah, maybe take some time off. Your posting has gone from positive and enjoyable to read to unnecessarily dire, chicken little stuff. We weren't gonna go undefeated and though this probably should have gone the other way, maybe it's like that loss to Fordham back in 2010, refocus and highlight the areas that need work.

« Reply #252 on: November 25, 2017, 04:28:50 PM »

What happened to you Marillac. Always appreciated your "glass is half full" attitude. Seems like you have gone 180.

Foad

« Reply #253 on: November 25, 2017, 05:04:38 PM »
The announcers agreed. They said "Simon is having a bad game"

Tim Welsh was the announcer, he hasn't been sober since 2006. Simon had a near triple double: nine points, nine rebounds, eight assists. If that's bad, what's pretty good? The five turnovers were a problem. Hopefully that doesn't happen too often.

The difference in the game was 14: 14 more FT's for Missouri - they made eight more than SJ took - and they had 14 more rebounds and they made 14 threes. That's more  fourteens than Roy Moore had.

« Reply #254 on: November 25, 2017, 07:23:50 PM »
The announcers agreed. They said "Simon is having a bad game"

Tim Welsh was the announcer, he hasn't been sober since 2006. Simon had a near triple double: nine points, nine rebounds, eight assists. If that's bad, what's pretty good? The five turnovers were a problem. Hopefully that doesn't happen too often.

The difference in the game was 14: 14 more FT's for Missouri - they made eight more than SJ took - and they had 14 more rebounds and they made 14 threes. That's more  fourteens than Roy Moore had.

Their forwards had 25 rebounds, our forwards 7