Starting Lineup

• 81 replies

jr49

Re: Starting Lineup
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2020, 02:11:58 PM »
I don’t think coach can start Dunn at the point. He showed us this year that he isn’t a point guard. If we have a natural point guard coming in, that’s who needs to run the offense.

Dunn should come off the bench, and at times I do think he can really help us. I just don’t see it if he’s asked to run the offense for 35 minutes.
Coach doesn't play guys 35. If he can play 8 at pt and not kill team it helps. Gets to line and makes them in clutch.

« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2020, 02:59:31 PM »
Coach doesn't play guys 35. If he can play 8 at pt and not kill team it helps. Gets to line and makes them in clutch.

I agree your right...as long as he doesn’t have to be the number 1 guy at point then 6-8 minutes will be okay....

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2020, 05:17:08 PM »
PG-Williams
SG- LJ
SF-julian champagnie
PF-Marcellus
C- Josh Roberts
This line up has good size and a respectable amount of shooting ability and also gives help on the boards . A lot of chemistry with the freshmen that came in together. Downside can this lineup create their own shot without a true PG? Are they a little too slow to play 40 minutes of hell? Does this take away JC strength of playing the stretch 4?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 05:19:09 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Poison

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2020, 06:45:35 PM »
PG-Williams
SG- LJ
SF-julian champagnie
PF-Marcellus
C- Josh Roberts
This line up has good size and a respectable amount of shooting ability and also gives help on the boards . A lot of chemistry with the freshmen that came in together. Downside can this lineup create their own shot without a true PG? Are they a little too slow to play 40 minutes of hell? Does this take away JC strength of playing the stretch 4?

Williams has the potential to be a quality player here, but not as a point guard.

He can’t dribble.

Marillac

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2020, 09:15:48 PM »
PG-Williams
SG- LJ
SF-julian champagnie
PF-Marcellus
C- Josh Roberts

You have every player playing down a position. That is awful.

« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2020, 07:58:43 AM »
Williams has the potential to be a quality player here, but not as a point guard.

He can’t dribble.

I agree not the best handle and not true PG but only 1 TO per game for a sophomore with spot duty at PG last year. I would look to a Jr who has experience with the other players and at that position even though it was a limited role his first two years . As an upperclassmen would be his spot to lose. Until Posh gets his bearings which may take longer with Covid-19 situation limiting players getting traditional training during the summer months. If LJ leaves insert Posh at PG and put Williams at SG.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 07:59:41 AM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Poison

« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2020, 08:33:51 AM »
I agree not the best handle and not true PG but only 1 TO per game for a sophomore with spot duty at PG last year. I would look to a Jr who has experience with the other players and at that position even though it was a limited role his first two years . As an upperclassmen would be his spot to lose. Until Posh gets his bearings which may take longer with Covid-19 situation limiting players getting traditional training during the summer months. If LJ leaves insert Posh at PG and put Williams at SG.

I think Posh will be the most sound guard offensively from day one. Dunn is out of control. He’s Colin Charles, part 2. If he’s handling the ball again in crunch time, we can expect more endings like in the Georgetown game.

Williams we need to focus on defense and working on his handle enough to get to the rack. Wasu will probably not play much as a freshman.

« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2020, 09:26:22 AM »
This is the lineup I like assuming this is our roster:

PG Posh
SG Cole
SG LJ
PF Julian
C Roberts

First subs

Williams
Duke
Dunn

And toro or move Julian over

Then

Caraher, McGriff and Moore spot fills

Wusu will work himself in as he matures

« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2020, 10:31:49 AM »
You have every player playing down a position. That is awful.

Awful maybe a bit harsh?  None of those players are slouches on the defensive end they should be able to hold their own and help out on the boards which was one of our weakness last year , those second chance points were killers.In addition foul trouble maybe offset due to more size. On the offensive side the lineup may take a slight hit because JC  showed us he is a good stretch 4/5 . However Marcuells was just too good to put on the bench. Maybe it is my selfish delusion to see the freshman three progress from sparely playing to finally starting together as Jrs. New Yorkers like a good underdog story.

« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2020, 10:39:56 AM »
I think Posh will be the most sound guard offensively from day one. Dunn is out of control. He’s Colin Charles, part 2. If he’s handling the ball again in crunch time, we can expect more endings like in the Georgetown game.

Williams we need to focus on defense and working on his handle enough to get to the rack. Wasu will probably not play much as a freshman.

I watched Posh play for years definitely the type of PG you want for 40 minutes of Hell. Tough as nails and a good leader. Thank the gods he wanted to stay home! He reminds me of one of those KU guards who are tough as nails.

Marillac

« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2020, 02:48:51 PM »
Awful maybe a bit harsh?  None of those players are slouches on the defensive end they should be able to hold their own and help out on the boards which was one of our weakness last year , those second chance points were killers.In addition foul trouble maybe offset due to more size. On the offensive side the lineup may take a slight hit because JC  showed us he is a good stretch 4/5 . However Marcuells was just too good to put on the bench. Maybe it is my selfish delusion to see the freshman three progress from sparely playing to finally starting together as Jrs. New Yorkers like a good underdog story.

I don’t think awful is too harsh. William hasn’t proven he can even play PG get let alone start over Posh, McGriff, or even Dunn.

We wouldn’t be able to cover anyone with that lineup either.

Basketball isn’t hard. You build from the ground up. 1a and 1b are stopping the other team from scoring and dribbling and/or passing your way to good shots.

The winner of the Posh/McGriff battle will start at PG from day one and the other will be the backup unless something unforeseen and drastic happens.

Our offense was gross this past year. It is my hope that a lot of that was due to the fact that we didn’t have a true PG running the show. The fact that Anderson got two of them should tell us all we need to know.

Poison

« Reply #71 on: May 06, 2020, 08:51:22 AM »
I don’t think awful is too harsh. William hasn’t proven he can even play PG get let alone start over Posh, McGriff, or even Dunn.

We wouldn’t be able to cover anyone with that lineup either.

Basketball isn’t hard. You build from the ground up. 1a and 1b are stopping the other team from scoring and dribbling and/or passing your way to good shots.

The winner of the Posh/McGriff battle will start at PG from day one and the other will be the backup unless something unforeseen and drastic happens.

Our offense was gross this past year. It is my hope that a lot of that was due to the fact that we didn’t have a true PG running the show. The fact that Anderson got two of them should tell us all we need to know.

You know, I seem to remember another poster championing Williams at the point. Can you guess who it was?

Marillac

« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2020, 04:18:17 PM »
You know, I seem to remember another poster championing Williams at the point. Can you guess who it was?

Did we have Posh and a healthy McGriff? Did I say be should start? Did Williams prove he couldn’t do it last year? Thanks for playing.

Poison

« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2020, 04:45:20 PM »
Did we have Posh and a healthy McGriff? Did I say be should start? Did Williams prove he couldn’t do it last year? Thanks for playing.

He proved it to some before the games even started last year.

Marillac

« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2020, 06:00:05 PM »
He proved it to some before the games even started last year.

Who?

We didn’t have a Big East PG last year. Dunn is an undersized SF with a good handle. Rutherford was a MAAC level player with heart and only one hand. Williams is a shooting guard that might be able to play some point as an upperclassman.

McGriff is a born PG. Posh is a 4-star PG. There is no comparison.

« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2020, 02:10:14 PM »
With two big questions still on Horizon the below is with:
1. LJ staying
2. Salnave Committing and McGriff transferring

First I don’t think who starts matters as it showed this year with Anderson but I’ll go with

PG - Posh
SG - Cole
SF - LJ
PF - Penny
C - Roberts

Our bench would be loaded with
Dunn, Williams , Salnave, Earlington, Toro, Caraher and Moore ....does Wusu maybe redshirt this year?  Hope we can put it all together like we did at end of year and I think anywhere from 3-6 in the big east is where we can finish next year.

« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2020, 03:25:14 PM »
I can't see Duke not starting considering how he finished the season.

Poison

« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2020, 03:54:34 PM »
I can't see Duke not starting considering how he finished the season.

He looked like he could get to the basket at will, and he was knocking down threes. I’m hoping Marcellus builds on this, and becomes one of the top scorers in the BE.

It’s his defense that needs the most work, but towards the end I saw some improvement there, too.

Marillac

« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2020, 04:20:34 PM »
With two big questions still on Horizon the below is with:
1. LJ staying
2. Salnave Committing and McGriff transferring

First I don’t think who starts matters as it showed this year with Anderson but I’ll go with

PG - Posh
SG - Cole
SF - LJ
PF - Penny
C - Roberts

Our bench would be loaded with
Dunn, Williams , Salnave, Earlington, Toro, Caraher and Moore ....does Wusu maybe redshirt this year?  Hope we can put it all together like we did at end of year and I think anywhere from 3-6 in the big east is where we can finish next year.

If Roberts is good enough to start over Toro, we will be a team that wins games in the tournament. I don’t think there is any chance that happens. Cole-Champagnie-Toro are locks to start with no LJ.

I see Earlington coming off the bench early with Dunn. Their presence changes the game instantly so those are bullets you don’t want to fire too early.

Foad

« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2020, 06:52:29 PM »
He looked like he could get to the basket at will, and he was knocking down threes. I’m hoping Marcellus builds on this, and becomes one of the top scorers in the BE.

It’s his defense that needs the most work, but towards the end I saw some improvement there, too.

Big (and early) fan, but I wouldn't start him. He's a perfect sixth man, brings it on both ends, but foul prone.