LJ declares for draft

• 80 replies
Re: LJ declares for draft
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2020, 11:33:17 PM »
I thought it was said he was transferring is that not the case?

Also give it a rest with the shade talk. There are plenty of areas to improve on and there isn't much to be optimistic on. This isn't an anti-Anderson thing its simply current state of the program.
I asked you if you had any info apparently not so you treated a rumor as fact. I'll give it a rest when you cut the bullshat.

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2020, 11:49:42 PM »
I’m sure plenty would disagree.

I'm not sure on what merit
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2020, 11:55:24 PM »
I'm not sure on what merit

I like the kids we have coming back - I think a number made strides, in some cases significant strides.  I like the recruiting class coming in combined with what we have returning, especially if LJ comes back.  Maybe I'm too optimistic, but if the BE is down next year, which I think it will be compared to this past season, I think we can have a fun season.

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2020, 12:00:22 AM »
I asked you if you had any info apparently not so you treated a rumor as fact. I'll give it a rest when you cut the bullshat.

I thought it was reported that he transferred as I stated in my last message. I don't have any first hand knowledge.

My world has been upside-down and I didn't watch the last 5 games of the season. If I can offer something to the community I try to but I don't get the animosity from you. We're here just talking why the anger?

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2020, 12:05:16 AM »
I like the kids we have coming back - I think a number made strides, in some cases significant strides.  I like the recruiting class coming in combined with what we have returning, especially if LJ comes back.  Maybe I'm too optimistic, but if the BE is down next year, which I think it will be compared to this past season, I think we can have a fun season.

I think guys made strides too and hope with maturation and teaching that development continues but don't think it will be nearly enough.

The Big East has been supposed to be worse each of the last 3 seasons and it somehow gets better and better.

We'll have boxer's chance but might be another rough year.

« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2020, 01:39:38 AM »
I thought last year the view preseason was the BE would be very good. And certainly after OOC everyone thought so. Compared to two years ago, when it was noticeably weaker.

Marillac

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2020, 02:26:04 AM »
There are plenty of areas to improve on and there isn't much to be optimistic on. This isn't an anti-Anderson thing its simply current state of the program.

This is where we go different directions. The main reason for my pessimism this season was McGriff going down and Rutherford forced into a big role. He wasn’t a Big East player and it all starts at PG.

If you have tough guards that can handle, pass, defend, and shoot then you can win.

We are still a few pieces away. Another shooter and a big man would help.

I see 20 wins and a spot on NCAA bubble. The lack of beating good coaches for players does suck though.

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2020, 06:39:20 AM »
I thought it was reported that he transferred as I stated in my last message. I don't have any first hand knowledge.

My world has been upside-down and I didn't watch the last 5 games of the season. If I can offer something to the community I try to but I don't get the animosity from you. We're here just talking why the anger?

Sorry for everything you’re going through Dave but how can you say you didn’t see the last 5 games of the year and then say there are no reasons for optimism. I mean wtf man
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2020, 08:20:10 AM »

Understandable if you missed the last 5 games I guess. Team finished playing its best ball. Beat two tourney teams in that stretch and were beating creighton again before the season was cancelled. Looked like they had a really good chance of making it to Friday night or further.

They’re returning the core of that team (maybe not including LJ) and adding a few guys that look like they will be a good fit for Anderson’s system. The key is that none of those guys have to be a savior. I think there’s reason for optimism for next year for sure.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 08:21:18 AM by apesNapes »

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2020, 09:25:40 AM »
This is where we go different directions. The main reason for my pessimism this season was McGriff going down and Rutherford forced into a big role. He wasn’t a Big East player and it all starts at PG.

If you have tough guards that can handle, pass, defend, and shoot then you can win.

We are still a few pieces away. Another shooter and a big man would help.

I see 20 wins and a spot on NCAA bubble. The lack of beating good coaches for players does suck though.

I don't think very highly of McGriff. Can he be solid guy off the bench? Maybe. He's more on par with Malik Stith. Is that good enough?

I think we have a brand of basketball now and they'll find pieces to fit that brand which is good. I'm not sure with talent the league is bringing in, success of Seton Hall, Rutgers, and through UConn into that mix we're going to have an uphill climb.

Is the style of play going to be enough to make up talent gap? I don't know.

« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2020, 09:29:55 AM »
Sorry for everything you’re going through Dave but how can you say you didn’t see the last 5 games of the year and then say there are no reasons for optimism. I mean wtf man

The team played well down the stretch and if anything it was promising seeing them playing for each other. The win against Creighton we were on fire. You'll have games like that just as you will games you're cold like Georgetown.

Williams and Champagnie playing well was best thing you could ask for down the stretch. We're not going to be bad, we're just not going to be very good.

Poison

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2020, 10:02:04 AM »
Understandable if you missed the last 5 games I guess. Team finished playing its best ball. Beat two tourney teams in that stretch and were beating creighton again before the season was cancelled. Looked like they had a really good chance of making it to Friday night or further.

They’re returning the core of that team (maybe not including LJ) and adding a few guys that look like they will be a good fit for Anderson’s system. The key is that none of those guys have to be a savior. I think there’s reason for optimism for next year for sure.

Saying none of those guys need to be a savior is short-sighted imo. We were bad this year, even though we were better towards the end.

What I’m hoping we are working towards is creating our own savior. I think Earlington can take the next step and be the leading scorer on the 20-21 team. If he can put up 18 and 9 he could be that guy. Champagnie, Williams, Roberts, now that they’ve had a chance to really play at this level, they should know what they are lacking.

I’m counting on coach having a plan for every returning and incoming player. And if he does, he’d be the opposite of Norm Roberts who once told a room full of boosters that he asked each player to identify their own role on the team. Of course, most of them thought they were the go-to guy.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 01:36:24 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2020, 11:00:22 AM »
I don't think very highly of McGriff. Can he be solid guy off the bench? Maybe. He's more on par with Malik Stith. Is that good enough?

I think we have a brand of basketball now and they'll find pieces to fit that brand which is good. I'm not sure with talent the league is bringing in, success of Seton Hall, Rutgers, and through UConn into that mix we're going to have an uphill climb.

I don’t know anything about John McGriff, except that he’s a point guard, and he was hurt last year. When you compare him to Stith, I think you also have to consider the kid’s character, and maturity. When things become challenging, does he run away? Stith did. He didn’t have to, but he clearly wasn’t ready for BE basketball. It wasn’t just a talent thing. Less talented players have played here and filled a role.

In terms of talent, what talent are we not getting that we used to get? It’s not like top ten recruits like Ron Artest are popping for St.John’s every couple of years. It’s also not like we’ve given them a reason to.

Give coach a chance to show that he has a program, and that his kids do get better. Willard and Pikiell needed that time, as well, but it is beginning to work for them. As far as UConn goes, they are in no way further along than we are, and Hurley will he entering his third season. He’s not a bust, but that’s no slam dunk hire at this point. If Anderson puts up a borderline NIT season next year, he’ll be on the hot seat. Tough town we live in.

Marillac

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2020, 11:57:27 AM »

I’m one of the few guys on here that sees value in a player like Stith, although I do think I overrated his intangibles. I’d prefer a better player though. McGriff is a far better ball-handler and playmaker than Stith.

I think some of you are sleeping on him. 

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2020, 12:27:19 PM »
I’m one of the few guys on here that sees value in a player like Stith, although I do think I overrated his intangibles. I’d prefer a better player though. McGriff is a far better ball-handler and playmaker than Stith.

I like him and think he will be good compliment Posh who seems to be at his best going 100mph. Just surprised by your scoring projection for him
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2020, 05:20:26 PM »
I like him and think he will be good compliment Posh who seems to be at his best going 100mph. Just surprised by your scoring projection for him

That was based on my thoughts about Dunn being better as a second ball-handling option and Rutherford not being close to a Big East caliber player.

Rutherford proved have some very good intangibles. If only his skill matched his will.

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2020, 10:51:17 PM »

It is not a good sign if you're the second best player on your team named Malik and the other Malik's last name is not Sealy.

QuanMan

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2020, 01:24:53 AM »
The team played well down the stretch and if anything it was promising seeing them playing for each other. The win against Creighton we were on fire. You'll have games like that just as you will games you're cold like Georgetown.

Williams and Champagnie playing well was best thing you could ask for down the stretch. We're not going to be bad, we're just not going to be very good.

How do you run this site and have an differing opinion of this team without even watching DVR of the last 5 GAMES of the season? Cmon man, the core that we're adding next year plus the possibility of LJF and another impact JUCO/grad transfer/HS senior is reasoning for supreme optimism. The culture is completely flipped for the better. Hop on the ship or walk the plank before the bandwagon gets too crowded.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 01:27:16 AM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2020, 07:48:03 AM »
How do you run this site and have an differing opinion of this team without even watching DVR of the last 5 GAMES of the season? Cmon man, the core that we're adding next year plus the possibility of LJF and another impact JUCO/grad transfer/HS senior is reasoning for supreme optimism. The culture is completely flipped for the better. Hop on the ship or walk the plank before the bandwagon gets too crowded.

I agree....we basically have the whole core team back, plus adding a couple of nice pieces....do I think we are the best team in the BE, not by a long shot, but we finished 17-15 this year, losing a number of winnable games.....we should be much better next year, if even only on paper...

« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2020, 02:18:03 PM »
One unintended consequence of @NBADraft being pushed back for early entry kids is that playing opportunities in Europe will be more limited by August & salaries much lower. Guys that get conned into staying in this draft will be filling @nbagleague rosters.

This will ultimately bring LJ back for his senior season.