Toro to St Johns

• 25 replies
Toro to St Johns
« on: April 05, 2020, 08:54:12 PM »
Amn he committed the other day and not even a thread about it ? Big man from Grad Transfer from GW

Anyone ever see him play ?

Re: Toro to St Johns
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 09:42:39 PM »
Amn he committed the other day and not even a thread about it ? Big man from Grad Transfer from GW

Anyone ever see him play ?

Seems like a solid get and that he'll help on the boards and provide some scoring in the paint.  Macon saw him for 2 years so that is a helpful sign.  Injuries curtailed production so not sure if that is a concern.  Ironically it seems that part of the reason Marfo transferred from GW is because Toro beat him out.

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 09:56:18 PM »
Probably an upgrade over Sears but nothing to write home about. George Washington has been one of the worst teams in A-10
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 10:19:29 PM »
Never seen the kid but the stat line and context indicates he is much better than Sears, especially when you look at the numbers pre-injury. I don’t think anyone is expecting him to be a star or top level player. Just a big who can play in the Big East and be solid at a position of need.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 11:03:08 PM »
Shocker Dave doesn’t like the pick up 🙄 .....he played in a ten times better conference then the QU kid. Not saying he is better then the QU kid but if we compare numbers Toro Put up 7 & 7 in 17 minutes in the A-10. Compared to the QU kid who put up 10 & 13 in about 30 min in a bottom 4 conference and there team was terrible too. The MAAC champ was most likely going to Dayton.

Weird talking about how bad teams are....You Loved the Mickey Dixon pick up cause Matt bought him in and QU was 9 win team that year.

Toro Just needs to come in and rebound do the dirty work which he seems he does and he can be exactly the big body piece we need.

Get LJ back and this team is in very good shape (on paper) to Dance next year.

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 01:02:39 AM »
Shocker Dave doesn’t like the pick up 🙄 .....he played in a ten times better conference then the QU kid. Not saying he is better then the QU kid but if we compare numbers Toro Put up 7 & 7 in 17 minutes in the A-10. Compared to the QU kid who put up 10 & 13 in about 30 min in a bottom 4 conference and there team was terrible too. The MAAC champ was most likely going to Dayton.

Weird talking about how bad teams are....You Loved the Mickey Dixon pick up cause Matt bought him in and QU was 9 win team that year.

Toro Just needs to come in and rebound do the dirty work which he seems he does and he can be exactly the big body piece we need.

Get LJ back and this team is in very good shape (on paper) to Dance next year.

Mikey Dixon was the MAAC rookie of the year.

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 08:27:31 AM »
Yup. And Quincy McKnight was not in a weaker conference. Yet turned out to be 50 times the player.

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 09:17:14 AM »
And Mikey Dixon sucked. End of story .....Toro has already played against tougher competition in the A-10 does it matter that his team was awful last year.

He is exactly what this team needed. It is only a one year stop gap. Give me him over any of the Jucos we were looking at.

It’s just unbelievable that the owner of this site has been nothing but negative all year and every recruit it’s again the same shit. But with his boy Matt each kid was nice pick up / exactly what team needed / filled a role. I am done with it and will continue to call it out and bring it up.

Wods317

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 10:04:01 AM »
And Mikey Dixon sucked. End of story .....Toro has already played against tougher competition in the A-10 does it matter that his team was awful last year.

He is exactly what this team needed. It is only a one year stop gap. Give me him over any of the Jucos we were looking at.

It’s just unbelievable that the owner of this site has been nothing but negative all year and every recruit it’s again the same shit. But with his boy Matt each kid was nice pick up / exactly what team needed / filled a role. I am done with it and will continue to call it out and bring it up.

We will know when they roll the balls out but when was the last time we had this much quality depth? We may lack a star (Ponds, Dlo, Hardy) but how many of those guys have we had recently. Love the roster CMA has built deep and versatile.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:04:21 AM by Wods317 »

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 11:27:09 AM »
My big concern with this pickup is in 3/20/20, against #3 Dayton, Toro played 4 minutes.

Near this calendar date he played many more minutes against Duquesne.  So if it wasn't injury that limited his time, was he just innefective against good opponents? 

Regardless seems like an improvement over Sears. In size and skills. 

Poison

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 12:50:13 PM »
We will know when they roll the balls out but when was the last time we had this much quality depth? We may lack a star (Ponds, Dlo, Hardy) but how many of those guys have we had recently. Love the roster CMA has built deep and versatile.

With the program that coach is building, our star will have to come from within, and that hasn’t been St.John’s basketball in a long time.

Out of Greg Williams, Marcellus Earlington, Josh Roberts and Julian Champagnie, we may have to find our star. It comes down to the kind of work they want to put in.

I think we’d be better off not counting on Posh Alexander or Vince Cole to be our star player in their first season.

That’s happened with Omar Cook and Marcus Hatten, and it hasn’t happened since.

goredmen

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 02:34:37 PM »
My big concern with this pickup is in 3/20/20, against #3 Dayton, Toro played 4 minutes.

Near this calendar date he played many more minutes against Duquesne.  So if it wasn't injury that limited his time, was he just innefective against good opponents? 

Regardless seems like an improvement over Sears. In size and skills. 

I think with a guy like Toro, minutes are going to be dependent a lot on the opponent. Dayton ran lineups out there with 5 shooters and sometimes had Obi Toppin essentially playing the 5. That is not the type of game that a guy like Toro would thrive in, especially on the defensive end. He's not a guy that you want guarding out on the perimeter so he won't get much burn against 5 out teams.

Where he will help is against the Xaviers and Providence type teams that usually have a true big that pushes our guys around and eats us up on the glass. Toro will be huge in those backyard brawl type of games.

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 05:11:26 PM »

Yes, in hindsight he didn't work out. It wasn't the right fit. That doesn't negate he had a very good freshman year in the Maac and was looked as a solid addition at the time.

You bag on Dave but you're cheerleading every move made by this staff without knowing any of these players. Let it play out. There are low level prospects being brought in. Whether they play better than the back of their basketball card is different. Eventually this staff needs to land a stud.

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 05:50:08 PM »
I know I’m gonna get major slack, but I really love this class based on the short time staff has been here...

Posh 3*-we all know he is easily a 4* as he was prior to injury but whatever....

Wusu-3*-fits the system of MA perfectly...built like a football player

Cole-first team Juco all
American who fits our need for outside shooting

Moore- 3rd team JUCO AA
Gives us depth and height up front

Toro- A10 player who has a great rebound to time played ratio..and will provide experience as well as more depth up front

Okay so tell me how much better we could have done....I’ll wait and see what responses are and take my medicine if need be

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 06:07:08 PM »
I was impressed with some the the defense that I saw Wusu play. 

Take a look here - Wusu is #2 in green.  He justs gets after it hard.
 https://youtu.be/rl_nSrD0qpQ?t=46

And that was (if the dates are right) during Wusu's sophmore season.

I can see Mike Anderson spinning some Earlington magic with this type of hustle.  Raise the ghosts of Charles Mineland, Anthony Glover, Dom Pointer, Billy Singleton, etc. 

@goredmen - I hope you are right, I hadn't considered that was the reason why Toro didn't get the minutes.  I know we have had a tough time against the Khalif Young / Nate Preston's of Providence, specifically. 

@Johnnies93!! - I kinda agree!  I think we are going to be a fun team to watch. 

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 06:11:19 PM by porterbrown »

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 06:51:46 PM »
Agree I have been a cheerleader for the recruits but I don’t think I have said anything about Moore or Wusu (don’t not much about) at all but I love the Posh Cole and Toro pickups.

Yes I will bag on Dave because he was the biggest cheerleader for every Matt recruit like I said before weather he is stud/ fits team/ fills a need and is the exact opposite now so it’s the same thing.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2020, 06:59:02 PM »
Probably an upgrade over Sears but nothing to write home about. George Washington has been one of the worst teams in A-10

This is just a blatantly bad take. Is he a stud? No, but he’s probably the best big man we’ve got now and he’s got four years of A-10 experience. GW was a 20 win team his freshman seasons and finished 10-8 in conference.

This was also a HUGE hole for the team. I expect to see Cole-Champagnie-Toro starting the 3-5 with Earlington coming off the bench.

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2020, 06:59:08 PM »
I was impressed with some the the defense that I saw Wusu play. 

Take a look here - Wusu is #2 in green.  He justs gets after it hard.
 https://youtu.be/rl_nSrD0qpQ?t=46

And that was (if the dates are right) during Wusu's sophmore season.

I can see Mike Anderson spinning some Earlington magic with this type of hustle.  Raise the ghosts of Charles Mineland, Anthony Glover, Dom Pointer, Billy Singleton, etc. 

@goredmen - I hope you are right, I hadn't considered that was the reason why Toro didn't get the minutes.  I know we have had a tough time against the Khalif Young / Nate Preston's of Providence, specifically. 

@Johnnies93!! - I kinda agree!  I think we are going to be a fun team to watch. 

Wusu is #24 in green. I’ve watched about 15 Our Savior games from his junior and senior season. One thing is clear from the tape you just provided: he is a worker. The improvement is leaps and bounds!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2020, 07:05:17 PM »
This is just a blatantly bad take. Is he a stud? No, but he’s probably the best big man we’ve got now and he’s got four years of A-10 experience. GW was a 20 win team his freshman seasons and finished 10-8 in conference.

This was also a HUGE hole for the team. I expect to see Cole-Champagnie-Toro starting the 3-5 with Earlington coming off the bench.

I agree Marillac.....who do you see at the other two positions
Assuming LJ stays okay
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 07:05:51 PM by Johnnies93!! »

QuanMan

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2020, 08:15:39 PM »

+1000
Section 3
Section 116