BYU 12/2, 5:00

• 53 replies

Marillac

Re: BYU 12/2, 5:00
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2020, 07:17:50 PM »
Ugly game. That Moore three point attempt late was just horrific. We just lost to the cast of Top Gun.

Johnny23

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2020, 07:47:21 PM »
Got close a few times but just couldn't get over the hump. Not our day. Tough loss.

Dan

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2020, 07:52:46 PM »
Did Alexander get hurt?  Not a good line today

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2020, 08:57:51 PM »
When people said Cole was going to replace LJ, I didnt realize that meant leading the team in forced shots.

Other than Cole being a black hole, really like the ball movement and unselfishness on O this year. Moore and Wusu better than expected, Posh solid, and Champagnie ...well I guess I should be past the point of pleasantly surprised, but he's just been so much better than expected. Last year was clearly no fluke.

We’re you mixing up Moore and Cole? Not that Cole played well but it was Moore who was forcing shots IMO. Earlington too.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Dan

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2020, 09:02:33 PM »
Cole has had two not great games in a row

Poison

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2020, 10:14:52 PM »

We made a ton of mistakes today, and somehow only lost by 6 points.  Plenty to work on in practice. We chucked up a lot of threes. It’s great when they fall. It hid our problems in the half court, but not tonight.

No one played well outside of Champagnie. Young guys are gonna have games like this.

Curious to see if coach makes any line up changes. He is clearly getting everyone out there. Maybe it’s me, but it felt like he had McGriff out there for too long in the first half.

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2020, 10:18:18 PM »

He got into foul trouble both games
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2020, 10:29:26 PM »
Love that Champagnie basically only shoots from 3 spots on the floor. That elbow jumper looks so routine.

Moore needs to check himself. He shot 5 too many threes this game. He should not have 2nd most amount of shots taken.

Plus side of things it seems we have a rotation we're working with and getting Dunn back will help help. This was a winnable game but we're lucky to be 3-1 after 4 games.

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2020, 11:40:17 PM »
Ugly game. That Moore three point attempt late was just horrific. We just lost to the cast of Top Gun.
lolololololololololol

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2020, 01:36:58 AM »
Maybe it’s me, but it felt like he had McGriff out there for too long in the first half.
We had a 12-9 lead when CFC put in McGriff and Caraher.  Immediate 9-0 run for the Latter day saints and we never got the lead back.

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2020, 01:46:43 AM »
We had a 12-9 lead when CFC put in McGriff and Caraher.  Immediate 9-0 run for the Latter day saints and we never got the lead back.

Did that in prior games with the same disastrous results.

Poison

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2020, 07:28:55 AM »

Coach has to learn from his mistakes, too, but he also has to give them a chance to play before deciding if they can help the team.

Johnny23

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2020, 07:43:29 AM »
Did that in prior games with the same disastrous results.

So disastrous that they won all those prior games.

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2020, 01:07:19 PM »
Coach has to learn from his mistakes, too, but he also has to give them a chance to play before deciding if they can help the team.

This is his second season with those fellas...odd they aren't better considering how amazing Anderson is in player development. *full body eye roll*

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2020, 01:22:45 PM »
In all seriousness, this game was incredibly disappointing. I am confident that this team is of tournament caliber, but a very average BYU team made us look bad all game long and they weren't even hitting their shots.  I don't care what the scoreboard said, they were always comfortably ahead and when we made it close, they responded every time.

It'd be nice to have a team that had a ceiling higher than just making the tournament and losing round one.

Moore shooting threes without his feet set is just vomit-inducing.  If our center is taking those shots, who the hell is rebounding?  There is no need to reinvent the wheel.  Moore needs to be capped at 2 misses from deep and he must only be allowed to shoot wide open, set shots. I'd be happier with Cole throwing them over his shoulder than watching a center shoot 30%. 3 rebounds in 20 minutes for Moore is just embarrassing. The George kid on BYU had 15 rebounds in 22 minutes and he's listed at 6'6.  When we are going to get a kid like that?

I think Dunn will help out a lot when he's back.

Foad

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2020, 04:43:05 PM »
In all seriousness, this game was incredibly disappointing. I am confident that this team is of tournament caliber, but a very average BYU team made us look bad all game long and they weren't even hitting their shots.  I don't care what the scoreboard said, they were always comfortably ahead and when we made it close, they responded every time.

BYU is huge and has a bunch of upperclassmen and they're a real team from a real conference, aka they're not St Peter's, who SJU beat on a lucky bounce. That showed. SJU has two players and a bunch of pieces and v. BYU one of those players, as nice as he is, Posh got shown up by a bigger, stronger, better, player.

Exit question: does Vince Cole = Avery Patterson II? Discuss. 

Marillac

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2020, 05:29:47 PM »
BYU is huge and has a bunch of upperclassmen and they're a real team from a real conference, aka they're not St Peter's, who SJU beat on a lucky bounce. That showed. SJU has two players and a bunch of pieces and v. BYU one of those players, as nice as he is, Posh got shown up by a bigger, stronger, better, player.

BYU will probably end up being a very solid team, but we got them four games into a season where they have to replace 5 of their top 7 scorers (including top three) and nearly all of their top rebound and assist men. They just lost by 26 on neutral court to USC and they have a transfer PG four games into his BYU career. The kid, George, who killed us with 11 and 15 is a JUCO transfer who was also playing in his fourth game with BYU.

We essentially returned the same team we fielded to end last season minus LJ and added a ton of depth.

The St. Peters game was embarrassing and a bad sign.  You'll get no argument from me there.

Foad

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2020, 07:10:07 PM »
BYU will probably end up being a very solid team, but we got them four games into a season where they have to replace 5 of their top 7 scorers (including top three) and nearly all of their top rebound and assist men. They just lost by 26 on neutral court to USC and they have a transfer PG four games into his BYU career. The kid, George, who killed us with 11 and 15 is a JUCO transfer who was also playing in his fourth game with BYU.

We essentially returned the same team we fielded to end last season minus LJ and added a ton of depth.

The St. Peters game was embarrassing and a bad sign.  You'll get no argument from me there.

Versus USC I think BYU maybe was less than they are because of the time zone change. Did not see them game but flying east is often a problem.

Gidgeon was impressive but I thought Barcello was the difference, especially as poorly as PA performed. As usual YMMV.

For all our vaunted depth five players played > 20 minutes and four of those more than 25, versus six < 17. Of those latter, 4 were returning players who played less than 15 minutes and 4 of those less than 10. Those are not 40 minutes of hell numbers. That does not indicate that the coach has confidence in his alleged depth. If Dunn eats the minutes of four of those players - Caraher, McGriff, Toro and Roberts totaled 21 minutes - that's about carry the one a seven man rotation. What's that 40 minutes of?

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2020, 10:22:21 PM »

I think Cole has a little more to his game than Patterson. Do I think he turns out to be better than LJ? No

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2020, 10:25:25 PM »
I think St. John's will perform well OOC because we play hard and put pressure on teams that they might not fully expect. In conference, they scout it, they expect it, and adjust to it. I think that's where our talent gap gets exposed.

I think all the teams we've played have been well coached teams. It's a good test for us early on. 3-1 is a great start.